When did you connect most with...

Kiante

When did you connect most with...

Post by Kiante »

When did you connect most with any of the characters? I kind of connected with Atoli near the end of Vol 2, with the whole Sakaki thing. I'm not very talented or popular or anything either, so I could relate to her.

Anyone else?
_Tri-edge_

Re: When did you connect most with...

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

Haseo through the entire series. This is why I liked G.U. so much. I was basically watching another version of myself trying to save his friends and the world from vanishing. I remember the friends I had, the betrayals, the deaths, the pissed off moods I was in, the really special friend that, sadly, I went super emotional on, the random feelings I had with different girls, and last, but not least, my obsessions for the wrong goals. Yeah, Haseo's just a mirror image of myself, only with a badass avatar and powers I can't obtain in reality.
Kiante

Post by Kiante »

That's kewl. lol, ironically, I had the same thing with Zidane too, though that's beside the point. :lol:
.Ailynea.

Post by .Ailynea. »

I have to agree on the whole Atoli thing I suppose. I have that same issue of not necessarily being amazingly popular. I'm usually the wallflower that gets invited for a manipulative reason such as "Well.. I'll ask her to go so she can do this for me" Yet I tend to act pretty friendly and overly nice to people I probably shouldn't. In Trilogy when she starts to freak out about how people just use her and nobody see her they look through her and stuff.. yeah, I get that way sometimes. I actually asked my boyfriend which character he thought I was most like and he very quickly said Atoli. Looking back on this that's kind of depressing ^^; But atleast Atoli was nice :]
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Well, technically this happened in Roots, but I connected the most with Shino, which explains my Shino fangirling.
I guess back then, I thought the way she was trying to hide her pain and continue on was similar to the same emo crap I was thinking.

I can't think of any other characters I've "connected" with at the moment.
Kiante

Post by Kiante »

Yeah...seems like a lot of people are depressed these days. I blame...well, everything, not least of which is that we generally have good reason to be. sad though...
ErkWitz

Post by ErkWitz »

I kinda feel like i connected with Silabus. (weird right?) Although they never really touched on this topic much (or at all to my knowledge) i know wat it feels like to watch your friend pass you by while u stand still. But man it is weird that lately I have been really down in the dumps. : ( kinda depressing just thinking about my depression. lol
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I feel like I basically am Atoli, at least in the online world. >.>
Zero's_Girl

Post by Zero's_Girl »

I'm basically Alkaid...Only without the unstable personality and random PMS moments. XD
Twilisapien

Post by Twilisapien »

endrance
Mellow Grunty
Suredeath Hellman
Suredeath Hellman

Post by Mellow Grunty »

Actually, Sakubo. I am pretty much Bo offline and Saku online. The resemblance is uncanny.

No specific game event comes to mind, considering pretty much 90% of the character development Sakubo got was when Saku was leaving.
Last edited by Mellow Grunty on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CountDOOMDestroyer
Location: behind u, with my trusty fans, going to pk u!!! lol

Post by CountDOOMDestroyer »

hmmm... i think most connected with kuhn. in the third 1 i think he gets dumped by 2 of his girls and i get dumped often so its just like awwww poor kuhn. either him or pi cuz she will do anything for who she loves and same with me
hidora

Post by hidora »

Mellow Grunty wrote:Actually, Sakubo. I am pretty much Bo offline and Saku online. The resemblance is uncanny.
I'm the opposite, pretty much like Saku offline and Bo online :P
Vorbei

Post by Vorbei »

I don't really think about when to relate with characters until the end when everything is said and done and I'm thinking back on how they all acted and what might have caused them to act that way.

But at that point, I found myself relating mostly with Endrance. This will probably just turn into a personal analysis on him, but.. hey, whatever gets the point across.

Given his past as Elk, I considered how he later became as Endrance was a kind of butterfly effect coupled with the way young minds are easily impressionable.
He was very shy and unable to protect what was dear to him as Elk.
So he took that to heart and became the opposite, hanging very openly and doting upon anything he holds dear.
So I think it's all mainly an overcompensation for his lack of openness before. "If that wasn't the right thing to do, I'll do the opposite." in a very extreme-sided thing. (As in no middle ground, it has to be one end or the other, as you see between Elk and Endrance. It's common with children, hence why kids are often only seen as a "good kid" or a "bad kid.")
So (third time, am I done yet?) bottom line, he thought that perhaps if he was overly open like that (along with taking up the sword and leaving behind the magic that "couldn't save Mia"), he wouldn't lose what was dear to him again.
(Saku could have a hand in helping this as well, since she was always clinging to him in a similar way. "If I'm not the only one doing it, it must be alright.")

I was a little younger than him when I lost a dear friend and changed accordingly. My only other friends didn't really like me that much, either.
So I became the opposite of that in a subconscious anxiety-driven attempt to bring back and keep something dear.
(Just as the Saku possibility above, I saw other people being this way and thought it was alright.)

The "Grow Up" part of it all brings such behavior to attention, as it's definitely not the right way to go since it betrays your "true self." So I don't think that Kaoru's part is quite done, although he did do a rather good job that could lead gracefully to an unspoken "awakening" to become himself again.
While I'm not quite his current age yet, I soon grew to notice that it wasn't the right way to be a couple years after the initial depression.
So.. as well as relating to him, I'm also cheering for him to catch up to me.

(SIGN was part of my late childhood as well, so it also helped me quite a bit to grow. Just thought I'd throw that in.)

Ah.. did I go overboard with that? :( Reading back over this, I realize it looks a lot like me just trying to find something in common to the point of high personal speculation, but I only noticed the resemblance between our situations after I formed that speculation.
Elysian

Post by Elysian »

The end of Reminisce was a time when I connected with Atoli, as well. Before that I didn't like her much, but after seeing her in a situation I'd been through myself, I felt a lot more sympathy towards her. Now she's one of my favourite characters. Overall, though, the character I relate to most is Endrance. Not because of any specific event, but there are lots of things about him which I'm only too familiar with (though I'm not nearly as withdrawn a person as I used to be).
Vorbei wrote:So I don't think that Kaoru's part is quite done, although he did do a rather good job that could lead gracefully to an unspoken "awakening" to become himself again.
I'd agree with that. He's in a much better state by the end of the story, but in a way it's a precarious sort of improvement, because it still relies so much on another person. He's become stronger, but also made himself vulnerable. But I like to think that in time he'll develop a little more independence and self-confidence, and his infatuation with Haseo won't end as sadly as things with Mia did.
ShiningWish

Post by ShiningWish »

I did connect to most of them at parts.

When I'm at my best, most fun and proficient state, I resemble Zelkova.
When I have to be serious in order to balance someone else, I go Pi.
When at my worst, I can sound like Endrance, Bo, or Atoli.

I understand Atoli's feelings, somehow. Bo's loneliness leading into alter-egoing ( I do that,too . Me and Bo are much alike) and Endrance's isolation,too. Or Zelkova's interest on operating Haseo, haha ! I get like that towards interesting specimen. I wonder if Endrance choosing Blade Brandier relates directly to Mia's previous job class? It's an amusing inversion you mentioned there, Vorbei. ( I don't mind the fluff, but if Endrance didn't go so overboard about it in the way he did, I might've liked him more. His love for Mia is something I can relate to. )

I can also relate to Aina,somehow. And Yata, in the ' I loved you the most but even so I couldn't make it ' .I think the worst you could get is Gaspard-like, before the PK tournament events.

Atoli was extremely relatable to in the Shino meeting scene.