Abyss Quest... haha... (possible spoilers)

GyppyGirl2021

Abyss Quest... haha... (possible spoilers)

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

This was the first time I've beaten the Abyss Quest in Volume 2, and I have to admit, this line of Haseo's really caught me off guard...

Was I the only one who was totally not expecting him to crack a joke like that? XD
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Re: Abyss Quest... haha... (possible spoilers)

Post by TheSorrow »

....I don't even remember that scene o_O''
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Haseo says it after you defeat The One Sin in the Abyss Quest. (At least, I'm pretty sure it was Haseo, since he was the one who stepped forward and it sounded like him when he spoke...)
Advent_Winter

Post by Advent_Winter »

I facepalmed, said "Fail...", then I saved my game and proceeded in turning off my PS2.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

...so I take it I was the only one. XD
Advent_Winter

Post by Advent_Winter »

No. I didn't expect it at all. I really didn't expect for it to suck so much either. The only quote-worthy surprise that caught me off gaurd in this game, or rather, the entire series itself, was this:

"Sakaki. Please tell me this. Sakaki. Please tell me that. Sakaki. Sakaki. Hey! Sakaki. I responded to every little thing. I gave you everything! And this is how you repay me you ****!!" -Sakaki to Atoli- .hack//G.U. Vol.2 Reminisce
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

...Well, at least I know now not to ask you for opinions on things.

(and now I know that there is, indeed, someone in this world who was actually caught off-guard by that quote...)
rayna

Post by rayna »

wow i didnt expect it
xD
Master ZED

Post by Master ZED »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:(and now I know that there is, indeed, someone in this world who was actually caught off-guard by that quote...)
With how badly Sakaki's corruption is shoved down our throats, that line shouldn't be surprising in the least.

Of course, it'd be a lot more surprising, and indeed more memorable, had the clues to Sakaki's betrayal been subtle to the point that very few people pick them up, like how Tyler Durden appears in single frames throughout the beginning of Fight Club.

...well, maybe not THAT subtle, but you see where I'm going with this.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Master ZED wrote:With how badly Sakaki's corruption is shoved down our throats, that line shouldn't be surprising in the least.

Of course, it'd be a lot more surprising, and indeed more memorable, had the clues to Sakaki's betrayal been subtle to the point that very few people pick them up, like how Tyler Durden appears in single frames throughout the beginning of Fight Club.

...well, maybe not THAT subtle, but you see where I'm going with this.
That's pretty much what I was thinking too... I mean, by that point it was already pretty obvious that Sakaki was a bad guy. And if him being angry at Atoli caught you off-guard... well, you just need to stop playing games forever ._.
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

Honestly, if RPGs have taught me one thing, it's that the main character often befriends those who were once not liked by them. I honestly thought Haseo was just being a jerk about Sakaki, who had done nothing wrong, until you see him asking Atoli to spy on Haseo. When he referred to "It" he could have been looking for something like the Key of the Twilight, and for all we know, maybe Sakaki was even observing Haseo as a possible Moon Tree candidate?

The beginning of Volume 2, the AIDA server, was when it's actually revealed that "Hey y'all noobs! I, Sakaki, know too much! About AIDA! And the epitaphs!" You also see him working behind the scenes to bring Haseo down. By this point, I knew he was just using Atoli, but I did not expect him to flat out call her a **** (it did catch me off guard but given the setting and what was going on, I think it worked well), and blaming the AIDA server on her was just too much. By the time of the Moon Tree Incident, I was flat out "Oh, Sakaki, you are hitting the floor so hard, and I am going to stomp on your balls and grind then into the floor with my heel! And then I'll get mean!" I Even threw my fist into the air and shouted "YEAH!" when Haseo said something the lines of "This is for stepping on Atoli's heart." (But then again, being the Hasetoli fanboy I am, I felt myself torn when fighting Innes, not wanting to fight against Atoli, so heh....)

As for the line from the Abyss sidequest, I haven't beaten The One Sin in ages so I completely forgot about it.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Yeah, I think the "****" part could've been expected since Bordeaux said something extremely similar to Pi in Volume 1 and I figured it was already established that that word was a go in the game... although if you're referring to something else about it then I'm sure there's an explanation XD
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

I dunno, it just wasn't memorable when Bourdeaux called Pi a ****. "You tipped them off, you ****!" just didn't carry the same weight as it did when Sakaki said it to Atoli, since she trusted him completely. I mean, seriously, maybe it's just because I like Atoli a lot more than Pi, but in Vol 1 it was "Ooh, the big bad PK has a tongue" while in Volume 2 it carried a lot of emotional baggage.
Advent_Winter

Post by Advent_Winter »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:That's pretty much what I was thinking too... I mean, by that point it was already pretty obvious that Sakaki was a bad guy. And if him being angry at Atoli caught you off-guard... well, you just need to stop playing games forever ._.
I think you guys missed the severity of the point. It wasn't him getting angry at Atoli that surpised me, it was the fact that he called her a **** that surprised me the most. Now, hearing such language like "Hell" and "Damn" and "Bastard" are all quite common in .hack, but **** is pretty rare.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

...Yeah, I think the instance with Bordeaux was the only other time it was said XD

And she's a foulmouth all around, which it wasn't obvious whether or not Sakaki was at that point (he turned out to be in the end, though).
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

It's not just .hack, it's Namco games in General. If someone says "****" it's usually pretty serious (Example: Zelos says it to Alice in ToS:DotNW) They use words like bastard freely, but **** is pushing the envellope for them, so to speak.

I kinda like a lot of Namco games, so yeah :lol:
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I'd assume it's more the English localizations that are touchy about language, because, well, just look at the Japanese version of the Sage Palace tournament's second round...
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

Yeah, that makes sense, censorship and all that. I personally just don't like the word "****" though. "Bitching" is okay, but "****" itself is just... I can't explain it.

and I keep forgetting to say, Gyppy, your sig makes me chuckle :P
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Yeah, I'm surprised people haven't come up with more puns involving Sirius' name. XD

...and now I think we've completely diverged from the original topic, so I'll just say that yeah, after Bordeaux in Volume 1 I wasn't really surprised to hear the word "****" out of Sakaki's mouth :P
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

Well, back on topic, the Humpty Dumpty thing makes sense since they needed Eggs for the ritual to call forth The One Sin? :lol: