Pros and cons

Kyrian

Well...

Post by Kyrian »

The Steam Bike is okay, but it's not the same as spending five hours trying to find grunty food, getting really ticked off about it, and then being grateful for it when you ride it.

At least, that's the way I see it.

Con: I love the Rengeki system, but at the beginning I was to the point where I was unknowingly saying "Rengeki, Gale Blade (Bam, bam, ...BAM)' every time I used it :D
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

im not saying that i hated the grunties but the things i ahted about the grunties where..well the freakin annoying grunty food "Piney Apple *spoing spoing*" SHUT THE **** UP ALREADY!!!!! :x SO ANNOYING :x

Also hated some of the grunties like Noble Brunty and Boney Grunty
I hate those 2 annoying grunties.

Also once you raised your grunty you can any thing else with all can do with is race in a root town. Unlike the Steam Bike which you can customize and actually attack monsters with it with riding a grunty all the monsters just ignoring you which i know is a good thing but it is still fun crashing into monsters.
Haseo364

Post by Haseo364 »

Pros
Enhanced Gameplay mechanisms from previous .//Hacks.
Immersive Plot (albeit can go by slowly at times)
Terrific Voice acting. I can feel each character's essence radiate just by hearing their voices. Much better from the past installments.

Cons
Diverse worlds are very limited. Can be frustrating going through the same area continuously.
Maaku

Post by Maaku »

Pros:
- real-time battle system
- arena battles
- letting IYOTEN and Asta do all the work by putting them on "Rage" in the beginning. >>;

Cons:
- Yuri Lowenthal's version for Haseo bugs me. If you compare it to //Roots and the Japanese versions of the cutscenes and talking scenes, Lowenthal makes Haseo seem really whiny. Like an "unruly child."
- falling asleep when soloing in the arena
- getting tired of the dungeons
- doesn't seem like there are enough quests
- Gaspard's voice. I don't know how many times I wished I could disband the party and PK Gaspard right there...

Oh yeah, just wondering, does anyone else have no problem doing Survival Matches in the Demon Palace alone? The only thing you have to watch out for is falling asleep, but I have Vigil/Null Alloy for that.
ReiMehari

Post by ReiMehari »

Azure Knight wrote:
Daichi wrote:
Keyaki wrote:
Mugi wrote:good:

the battle system is WAY better than in the old games :)
graphics
MUSIC !!!!
Ryu books no longer take 30 minutes to open xD

bad:

the bike (didn't like the idea, and it's pain to drive around until you get the ryu book to lvl 3)
all the quest shop quests required 3-member party :( (terror of death works alone)
the voiceacting... ( there is good ones too, but generally it was totally BLAH :( )
infact, i disliked the voiceacting so much that i did a so called "undub" of the game to enjoy it more

((japanese voices+english text))
Dude! how can you not like the Steam Bike!?!
you can't collect steam bike food, and get a lukcy, rare bike.
In Vol. 2   You can customize your bike and make it look sweet
For some reason I'm looking forward to that.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Maaku wrote:Pros:
- real-time battle system
- arena battles
- letting IYOTEN and Asta do all the work by putting them on "Rage" in the beginning. >>;

Cons:
- Yuri Lowenthal's version for Haseo bugs me. If you compare it to //Roots and the Japanese versions of the cutscenes and talking scenes, Lowenthal makes Haseo seem really whiny. Like an "unruly child."
- falling asleep when soloing in the arena
- getting tired of the dungeons
- doesn't seem like there are enough quests
- Gaspard's voice. I don't know how many times I wished I could disband the party and PK Gaspard right there...

Oh yeah, just wondering, does anyone else have no problem doing Survival Matches in the Demon Palace alone? The only thing you have to watch out for is falling asleep, but I have Vigil/Null Alloy for that.
What do you mean by "real-time" battle system
Maaku

Post by Maaku »

What do you mean by "real-time" battle system
As opposed to turn-based like most MMOs, Pokémon, or Final Fantasy (with the exception of XI and XII).

Some might consider the IMOQ Battle Engine to be real time, but it isn't as immersive or involving as G.U. in my opinion.
skieth111

Post by skieth111 »

im gonna have to say the first time i saw endrance the immediate reaction was, HE IS GAY!!!!
FlickerHaseo

Post by FlickerHaseo »

laysh wrote:Like:
Voices
Graphics
Actual Back story of "The World"
Gameplay
Comedy

Dislike:
Not able to change my ally's gear.
  WELL, YOU CAN CHANGE IT IN VOL. 2....!!!!

btw, I just used  CAPS for excitement....!!!!
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

FlickerHaseo wrote:
laysh wrote:Like:
Voices
Graphics
Actual Back story of "The World"
Gameplay
Comedy

Dislike:
Not able to change my ally's gear.
  WELL, YOU CAN CHANGE IT IN VOL. 2....!!!!

btw, I just used  CAPS for excitement....!!!!
Dude we all know that already, almost everyone has Vol2 already
skieth111

Post by skieth111 »

yeah well I just got volume 2 and haven't even played it yet haven't had time. School sucks.
Har1992

Post by Har1992 »

I dislike the fact that you can't change your allies gear the game would be much more advanced if that was possible
Har1992

Post by Har1992 »

this is a much easier game engine though
Dragoon2044
Silent Assassin of the
Silent Assassin of the

Post by Dragoon2044 »

Cons: The area formats of the fields and dungeons are preticable and set up in block format! at least it seems like the original four games were full of props so that they appear different. anyone who went dungeon crawling in IMOQ will know what i'm talking about.

Pros: Updated graphics, compelling storyline, lost grounds are beautiful and intoxicating that "The World" need deserve a game based on the 'in game' storyline. Lots of wall papers and graphics.

More Cons: Appeal is mostly driven towards the storyline and less on trying to simulate an MMORPG which is seriously unfortunate as this decreases overall replay value. More variety in areas and dungeons including props would have complemented the stagnation of the fields. It is disheartening that area types aren't available from the first volume. IT leaves much to be desired. The lack of voiceovers during active gameplay takes away from the involvement of the player and seperates them from thier favorite characters or those that they can relate to on an emotional level. Battle system is intricately complex yet simple, however this type of a battle is not suited for this kind of game. When you're down to 3 characters in a battle party the experience isn't as involved as it could be with at least 4 to 5 party members. The presence of the blue barrier walls also undermines the ability for players to run away from battle. They also contribute to the clostrophobic block fields and dungeons.

More Pros: Mac Anu is greatly improved and full of things to do even though sometimes it seems that the rewards are short lived. Avatar fights are fun and enjoyable. Arena and motorcycle elements are a nice touch, yet they could have been better. Especially the arena... it just seems boring after you max your characters.

General thoughts: The series could definately use more types and varieties of enemies, fields, dungeons, and event quests. Being able to fully explore lost grounds would greatly enhance the exploration aspects within 'The World'. The difficulty should also be amped up because once you level at 50-100-150 it seems there is nothing that can easily kill you save for a careless encounter with doppleganger. There is no longer any chance of being overrun by monsters. Also one big concern is that there is no weather in the areas. No snow, no rain, no thunder, no lightning, no floods, no lava flow. A random weather system along with a day-night protocol would have been nice. Over all G.U. is a great series to get into if you're a hardcore dothack fan. On the other hand if you're new to dot hack in general BEWARE. Rent first, or you can try watching SIGN or ROOTS or just play the original IMOQ. Those are also great games, btw.
ReiMehari

Post by ReiMehari »

Dragoon2044 wrote:Cons: The area formats of the fields and dungeons are preticable and set up in block format! at least it seems like the original four games were full of props so that they appear different. anyone who went dungeon crawling in IMOQ will know what i'm talking about.

Pros: Updated graphics, compelling storyline, lost grounds are beautiful and intoxicating that "The World" need deserve a game based on the 'in game' storyline. Lots of wall papers and graphics.

More Cons: Appeal is mostly driven towards the storyline and less on trying to simulate an MMORPG which is seriously unfortunate as this decreases overall replay value. More variety in areas and dungeons including props would have complemented the stagnation of the fields. It is disheartening that area types aren't available from the first volume. IT leaves much to be desired. The lack of voiceovers during active gameplay takes away from the involvement of the player and seperates them from thier favorite characters or those that they can relate to on an emotional level. Battle system is intricately complex yet simple, however this type of a battle is not suited for this kind of game. When you're down to 3 characters in a battle party the experience isn't as involved as it could be with at least 4 to 5 party members. The presence of the blue barrier walls also undermines the ability for players to run away from battle. They also contribute to the clostrophobic block fields and dungeons.

More Pros: Mac Anu is greatly improved and full of things to do even though sometimes it seems that the rewards are short lived. Avatar fights are fun and enjoyable. Arena and motorcycle elements are a nice touch, yet they could have been better. Especially the arena... it just seems boring after you max your characters.

General thoughts: The series could definately use more types and varieties of enemies, fields, dungeons, and event quests. Being able to fully explore lost grounds would greatly enhance the exploration aspects within 'The World'. The difficulty should also be amped up because once you level at 50-100-150 it seems there is nothing that can easily kill you save for a careless encounter with doppleganger. There is no longer any chance of being overrun by monsters. Also one big concern is that there is no weather in the areas. No snow, no rain, no thunder, no lightning, no floods, no lava flow. A random weather system along with a day-night protocol would have been nice. Over all G.U. is a great series to get into if you're a hardcore dothack fan. On the other hand if you're new to dot hack in general BEWARE. Rent first, or you can try watching SIGN or ROOTS or just play the original IMOQ. Those are also great games, btw.
agreed.
quessy

Post by quessy »

the only con... other than stated above....

no one else is in the field.... i wanna make haseo into the Terror of death again...

just pk everyone...... and wouldnt it be cool if u can get relationships with every character in the game...? like how you have with the other sub characters?...

piss some ppl off by KS'ing followed with pking.... damn that would be funny... :P
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Dragoon2044 wrote:Cons: The area formats of the fields and dungeons are preticable and set up in block format! at least it seems like the original four games were full of props so that they appear different. anyone who went dungeon crawling in IMOQ will know what i'm talking about.

There are areas that have rain and lighting
Twilight Haseo

Post by Twilight Haseo »

Kensei~ wrote:Here is another...no more "BATTLE MODE ON" flashing on the top of the screen whenever you're in a battle.
lmao, that is so true.
Azure crow
The Grace of Life
The Grace of Life
Location: Somewhere in the ether, trapped between what is and what could be.

Re:

Post by Azure crow »

Har1992 wrote:I dislike the fact that you can't change your allies gear the game would be much more advanced if that was possible
You can,just not in Volume 1.
this is a much easier game engine though
Care to elaborate?

Here is another...no more "BATTLE MODE ON" flashing on the top of the screen whenever you're in a battle.
Agreed.
One of the most annoying parts of IMOQ removed,thank god.
And wouldnt it be cool if u can get relationships with every character in the game...? like how you have with the other sub characters?...
Imagine marrying Nomung.

Anyways:

People are saying things like not as many quests,that they miss the hours spent looking for grunty food,and so on.
Well,the quest system is new,so it can't be compared.There' infinite times as many as in IMOQ for that reason.

You tell me that trying to win the bike missions in first place,then getting the parts and ramming into an enemy with them afetr a billion tries at getting the parts dosn't feel as good as riding around on a large pig with additude and hunger issues,and I'll consider agreeing.

The battle system features much more interesting aspects.
Rengeki,Skill Trigger,new effects,hold and release or button mash attacks,multipule weapons,and combo build ups.
The Rengeki is the training friendly version of data drain,after all.It just gives you extra exp instead of an item and a monster that won't give you anything in the way of experience.
Rengeki rings=new protect break.

How about the fact that the new game has more than one cinematic for using your main skill.
The three divine awakenings,and the 4(or three....) avatar awakenings.
Apart from that,every skill has a unigue animaton.

Although,they destroyed the ally help system,but that only helps furthur the illusion that they have some degree of free will,and arn't on demand puppets(despite being able to go into their skill menu's and making them do what you want....I'm sure that's just a regular party leader function).

I could go one,but I'd rather not.
Tenji

Re: Pros and cons

Post by Tenji »

there is only two things i could realy call cons...

1- battle areas, i liked the enemy encounter of IMOQ better. just messing around in the field... and being able to be attacked by lots of enemies.
It was more MMORPG that way...

2- No dual voice covers (i know is for the lack of space and stuff but i still miss those)

All the other things are far better in this series... i realy think the saga changed and became even better.
I love the pkk option and all the battle system and stuff.