.hack//G.U. Novels

Ciel's_Nightmare

.hack//G.U. Novels

Post by Ciel's_Nightmare »

I've been thinking of buying the Tokyo Pop translations of the .hack//G.U. novels. However, I'm a bit hesitant. Tokyo Pop's translations in the past have been, to put it lightly, abhorring. Has anyone read them? Are they pretty accurate translations or are they way off base? Also, how is the content of the novels compared to the games? I just want to be sure that the plot in the book doesn't stem too far from the original (since they usually like to add in extra stuff that shouldn't even be canon sometimes).

Thank you!
GyppyGirl2021

Re: .hack//G.U. Novels

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

The novels are possibly the farthest departure from the game out of all of the G.U. rewrites.
Aru
OVANZILLA
OVANZILLA

Post by Aru »

The fact that Aina is Ovan's daughter is enough for me to stray away from them.

If they're capable of changing such a major plot point that drastically, then I'm kind of afraid to find out what other monstrosities they've committed to the original story line.
Ciel's_Nightmare

Post by Ciel's_Nightmare »

Aru wrote:The fact that Aina is Ovan's daughter is enough for me to stray away from them.

If they're capable of changing such a major plot point that drastically, then I'm kind of afraid to find out what other monstrosities they've committed to the original story line.
...What!? Okay, definitely not buying the novels then. Thanks for telling me.
Uberlisten

Post by Uberlisten »

I was actually thinking about getting them too, but now I don't really want to.

I find it strange anyways that they'd change such things. Who knows what else they have slandered.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

It's not like the novels aren't official. They're just another version of the story. Who knows what Aina was to begin with? The original story focused much more on the Arena ("Net Colosseum") and took place in a game called King Crimson with 5 servers, each ruled by a different Epitaph User that you would need to defeat to move to the next, and afterwords they'd become your ally just like in Shounen Jump. The other three were the protagonist, and two "secret" ones to be revealed later (probably Ovan and Atoli). The Epitaphs had various forms depending on the user--a cat, an eye, a sword. And this was all before the trailer, which seems more like halfway in between. But even once the game was out they were still changing things--Alkaid was originally a non-character. So it's hard for the novels to be a "distortion" of something that was continuously being rewritten...
Uberlisten

Post by Uberlisten »

Kuukai wrote:It's not like the novels aren't official. They're just another version of the story. Who knows what Aina was to begin with? The original story focused much more on the Arena ("Net Colosseum") and took place in a game called King Crimson with 5 servers, each ruled by a different Epitaph User that you would need to defeat to move to the next, and afterwords they'd become your ally just like in Shounen Jump. The other three were the protagonist, and two "secret" ones to be revealed later (probably Ovan and Atoli). The Epitaphs had various forms depending on the user--a cat, an eye, a sword. And this was all before the trailer, which seems more like halfway in between. But even once the game was out they were still changing things--Alkaid was originally a non-character. So it's hard for the novels to be a "distortion" of something that was continuously being rewritten...
that makes sense yeah, but It would be hard for me to read these novels and try to figure out what is going on, with having the Story from the GU Video games, it would get mixed up, or at least I think.

I guess I wouldn't be able to say until I actually have read them huh.

I suppose it also shouldn't take away from the story, maybe answer questions.

All in all I don't really think it would be all that bad
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

I really like the novels, the translations had so many errors though. In terms of just bad grammar and mixing up what characters said what. That was the first release though, I don't know how much they fixed later on.
(Phantom) Thief

Post by (Phantom) Thief »

Kuukai wrote:It's not like the novels aren't official. They're just another version of the story. Who knows what Aina was to begin with? The original story focused much more on the Arena ("Net Colosseum") and took place in a game called King Crimson with 5 servers, each ruled by a different Epitaph User that you would need to defeat to move to the next, and afterwords they'd become your ally just like in Shounen Jump. The other three were the protagonist, and two "secret" ones to be revealed later (probably Ovan and Atoli). The Epitaphs had various forms depending on the user--a cat, an eye, a sword. And this was all before the trailer, which seems more like halfway in between. But even once the game was out they were still changing things--Alkaid was originally a non-character. So it's hard for the novels to be a "distortion" of something that was continuously being rewritten...
Where did you find most of that out? Was it in archives.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

It was actually released way beforehand, but with a lot of things redacted.