How were you introduced to the G.U. series?

Tack

How were you introduced to the G.U. series?

Post by Tack »

I was at a friends house and he showed me this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IZFMl5Cvck

And my mouth dropped open, it was wow, just wow. Especially the last part when a Dark Kite was fighting the protagonist.

And that was my introduction to G.U., it was my same friend who got me into the .hack series in the first place too. :)

So how were you introduced to the G.U. series?
GyppyGirl2021

Re: How were you introduced to the G.U. series?

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

My introduction to G.U. was directly related to my interest in IMOQ. After playing INFECTION for a while, I decided to go watch .hack//SIGN (brilliant, brilliant anime btw), and for some reason or other, I wanted to see .hack//Roots and what it was all about. Never finished Roots, but it did lead me into one of my biggest game fixations. XD

In other words, it's all Haseo's fault.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

The same way as Tack, basicly. I was introduced to the GU series by the same person who introduced me to .Hack in the first place (my girlfriend), and the conversation went like this, though with more words, and a bit more serious...but just a bit:

Her: OMG NEW .HACK GAME 8O
Me: OMG NOWAI 8O
Her: OMG YAWAI 8O
Me: OMG PROVE EET 8O
Her: *shows trailer* 8O
Me: OMGGGGGGGG 8O
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

The first trailer as soon as it came out. I was literally jumping around at the awesomness. Too bad I didn't see what was truly coming...
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

Tolby wrote:The first trailer as soon as it came out. I was literally jumping around at the awesomness. Too bad I didn't see what was truly coming...
Ditto. I thought G.U. was going to be a "darker" .hack than what it turned out to be. Anywho, I was introduced when I saw the trailer. "AWWW SH*T. IS THAT KITE ABOUT TO.....AWWW SH*T...AWWW SH*T...HE IS!!"
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

I was expecting some post apocalyptic world. PKs running wild. Places like the Cathedral being a save haven or something. When really its just a popular game on the internet. Meaning its going to be full of dicks. Its xbox live I guess.
hidora

Post by hidora »

Three years ago, my mother arived at home after work and said she passed at some store and had bought me a game she tought I'd like, since I used to watch an anime with a similar name. It was G.U. Redemption (the anime she was talking about was LotT :P).

That day, I was playing Persona 3. After that day, the next time I played P3 was about six months later >_>
haseoskeith

Post by haseoskeith »

Via Trailer. I had just finished //Quarantine back then, and I was like "OMG THIS WAS AWESOME!!!!" and the next day i went to the .hack website. The day after that I went again... just to find a new trailer had been posted. I was like "OOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGG *brain fries*". I was completely psyched from that trailer: the fights, the Kite-lookalike, everything!
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

I suppose we can say for certain that the first G.U. trailers were actually "better" than the actual game >3>; That whole "The World filled with PK" theme and Haseo murdering players and then being Data Drained in that epic Cathedral battle was sure so damn amazing and gave us all huge expectations and making lots of theories and ideas about what could possibly be happening in the game and what we could expect from the series. I also had imagined it would be a "darker" series in some post-apocalyptic The World filled with PKs murdering all over, and with the game being corrupted beyond repair with the CC Corp people unable to control it, and with more crazy sh*t, such like Kite being a victim of the AIDA thing, or being the AIDA himself (going from the "savior" of The World to the "destroyer" of it). I had many theories regarding the Epitaph Users too, all of them being "players with special powers" since that one was obvious...but i thought they'd be like AI's or something, maybe the Phases adquiring a PC form and being directly involved with the PK/AIDA chaos. And sure, in the end i still enjoyed G.U. so darn much and there were many aspects of the story that surprised me so much...but still, i was disappointment in many ways, and didn't exactly get what i was hoping for :/

...Though i honestly wouldn't complain as much had they only given me the difficulty and uber-epic battles i had hoped for >_>; After all...World filled with PKing really makes you think that you walk a few steps and you have dozens of players coming after you with enough intelligence and skill to take you out before you can read their names D8
Azure Kite

Post by Azure Kite »

An ad for it in Shonen Jump.
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

I don't remember which came first, but I remember watching the trailer and getting all uber excited and then there was Roots. I'm leaning towards the fact that I started watching Roots first without ever hearing about the game, so once I realized the two were connected I got all fanspazzy.
Haseo{Terror of Death}
Protagonist
Location: "...in the rift between consciousness and unconsciousness of all souls..."

Post by Haseo{Terror of Death} »

I saw the game at Toys "R" Us, but I had watched \Roots and never known there was a game
CirilloPrimo

Post by CirilloPrimo »

Back in middle school I googled dot hack at my school's computer class and found the site, clicked on it, saw the images of kite and haseo and went "OMGGGGG!" in the middle of my class. Happiest time I took in detention after that :lol:
A couple months after I had a subscription in gameinformer mag while reading through it at the bus stop so the image of Pi, Kuhn and Haseo with skeith and went "OMGGGGG! Is that Skeith!? Do I have to fight this dude again!??!! DAMMIT!!!" Everyone at my bus stop looked at me weird after that :lol:
I actually met my closest friend to this day that year when I brought my Outbreak manual to school with me to read. And she was like
"Is that Elk?"
Me:"Yeah"
"I love dothack!"
Me:"Lets be friends!"
eaglesiegle

Post by eaglesiegle »

I came to this site way back when hardly anything was known about GU and thats when I first heard of it.
Saizou

Post by Saizou »

My friend on a RO Forum showed me the preview after I told him how I was playing through infection.

That was the day Kite gave me a nightmare. :shock:

Then I watched //Roots, and eventually bought the game.
Ciel's_Nightmare

Post by Ciel's_Nightmare »

I've always been a huge fan of .hack, all the way back from SIGN. I think I came across G.U. in an advertisement in a magazine. I was hooked instantly since it had been a while since I had played a .hack game. I loved it a lot. Thinking about replaying it one of these days actually...
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

went to Wal-mart and boughted the 3rd vol of .hack g.u until i realized i boughted the wrong version :lol: . Also watchin .hack roots.
SpectralAura

Post by SpectralAura »

Saw it at Microplay, thought to myself: Should I try this? I said yes, so I bought it and... that's how G.U introduced to me. Today, the game's awesome. :)
Smitts

Post by Smitts »

I already knew about the first four games.

So when I heard G.U. was coming out. I snagged my copies.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

...I knew about GU long before I played it. I still truly believe that it should have ended with LoTB.

Anyways, back when the boards were starting to become a bit confused with spam I adamantly refused to acknowledge that anything could be better than the storyline that R:1 made.

As for the result, I eventually did play all three games and discovered the story was decent and that I found the Ovan character made it quite interesting. So as you can tell, my introduction was giving the games a shot (Though I can't get past episode 15 in roots no matter what).