G.U.'s system

Tack

G.U.'s system

Post by Tack »

Hi guys, maybe it's just me and I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but while I like .hack GU which I'm only at the beginning (level 20 or so), 'm not as fond of the system as R1, mainly because of the limits of your party I guess which you can't fully control.

What is your opinion on this, and do you think I'll start liking it more then R1's?
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Re: G.U.'s system

Post by TheSorrow »

If what you liked about R:1 is the fact you had wide control over the actions of your party, and you had to think of certain complex strategies to get through the battles, managing your skills and items correctly rather than simply doing combos and doing "flashy attacks", focusing way too much on the main character only while leaving your team to go whatever they feel like, then you're sadly never going to like R:2 more than R:1.

GU's battle system is not bad, and it's actually more entertaining than R:1's....but, only for the fact it's more "flashy" and "impressive", with the skill animations and Awakenings and all that. In terms of gameplay and difficult, it's far more easier than it used to be in IMOQ...boring even, since instead of managing your team and their skills, as well as your own...you just need to press R1 over and over to win pretty much every battle, and the only way to make it as challenging as in IMOQ is to play at a SERIOUSLY low level, in which you actually have to think on some few strategies, and even so, it's not that hard :/

Still, that doesn't mean GU's system sucks or you won't like it at all. Even though i like IMOQ's way more than GU, i actually like GU's system as well. It's entertaining indeed, and you can customize weapons alot more and do some amazing attacks. You can even figure out ways to "exploit" the system it has, something that at least i couldn't really do in IMOQ. So don't hate GU's system...is not as epic and complex as IMOQ's was, but it's still fun :P
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I liked G.U.'s system more because you don't have to do as much micromanaging and it's a hell of a lot easier (I despise hard games). Plus it's just... fun. But that's me. :\
Tack

Post by Tack »

I never said I HATED it, but GG got it right about micromanaging. I got killed recently, and fortunately my two members did mop up, but they never bothered REVIVING me. In R1 I could at least ask and in rare cases it actually took a while, but usually I was up and fighting again. I could give commands to my party easily, so if a group of monster were physically-restricted, I could have my party (mainly Minstral) just cast spells.

Here it's hitting the X button alot and then R to perform Rengeki (I don't really use special moves at the moment anyway.)

I don't hate it, it's just a restriction from R1 is all. :)
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

...you got killed in G.U.? Really?
N3IWVC

Post by N3IWVC »

LOL after i beat G.U. I went back in and played it some more just so I could die on purpose and see if they even planned on that contingency and put a game over screen in.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

I only died against Innis and it doesn't even show you a "Game Over" screen, just a "You can do it!!! *restarts battle*" TT^TT lol
Tack

Post by Tack »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:...you got killed in G.U.? Really?
Yeah yeah... laugh it up.

One of those animals cursed me, so I was damned from the get go.

At least if you survived it has your HP at 1. :?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

TheSorrow wrote:If what you liked about R:1 is the fact you had wide control over the actions of your party, and you had to think of certain complex strategies to get through the battles, managing your skills and items correctly rather than simply doing combos and doing "flashy attacks", focusing way too much on the main character only while leaving your team to go whatever they feel like, then you're sadly never going to like R:2 more than R:1.

GU's battle system is not bad, and it's actually more entertaining than R:1's....but, only for the fact it's more "flashy" and "impressive", with the skill animations and Awakenings and all that. In terms of gameplay and difficult, it's far more easier than it used to be in IMOQ...boring even, since instead of managing your team and their skills, as well as your own...you just need to press R1 over and over to win pretty much every battle, and the only way to make it as challenging as in IMOQ is to play at a SERIOUSLY low level, in which you actually have to think on some few strategies, and even so, it's not that hard :/

Still, that doesn't mean GU's system sucks or you won't like it at all. Even though i like IMOQ's way more than GU, i actually like GU's system as well. It's entertaining indeed, and you can customize weapons alot more and do some amazing attacks. You can even figure out ways to "exploit" the system it has, something that at least i couldn't really do in IMOQ. So don't hate GU's system...is not as epic and complex as IMOQ's was, but it's still fun :P
You need to use the right skill for the right job though, or iirc it can be much more boring...
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

You need to use the right skill for the right job though, or iirc it can be much more boring...
Not really though, not if you play this game as you'd play any other RPG. Sure, it won't help you much to do Gale Blades against the Vol. 3 bosses, but common knowledge will tell you to use the new spiffy skills you've learned. And if you're just playing the game normally, that is...having good equipment, a good reserve of items, being at least at the average level shown, kinda more if possible, your attacks will be strong enough to win easy and quickly even if you're using the crappiest ones. You can even beat those armored things with Dual Sword combos with not much problem, and even so, i think the game itslf also "suggests" you to break their shields with "bigger" weapons, so yeah.
And yes, if you're at a low level, you'll need to actually go smart with what skills you should use, what abilities work best, how you should attack, etc...but, you're already making it hard on your own will. And by "default", the average non-challenging RPG mind will tell you to not fight the lv80 thing while you're lv60. Only a few certain bosses will be the exception to all that...but hey, if anything, i'm sure it was the developers' intention to make them as "long-lasting, difficult battles even at high level" XD
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Blowing your time power-leveling is just another, lamer version of "hard". That's kinda a mantra I live by with RPGs. Heck, FF13 was a straight line and I still skipped every other battle once I got the enemy-scanning trophy.

Iirc flying and armored things your level were still a lot more annoying if you played the wrong way, but it's been a while since I played...
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Yeah, it seems to me that the only real difficult battles in the game were Avatar battles because Skeith doesn't adjust to Haseo's level like the game tells you (and they're also not as fun for the most part XD). Although, Kuukai does have a point... some of the battles with shelled/aerial monsters can be a bit difficult, especially if you're trying to raise weapon levels for a weapon that doesn't have the necessary skills... (I'm looking at you, scythes, not having any piercing skills)

The only unlucky animal I've been cursed by is the one that steals your GP, though... thankfully. XD And that was more due to not noticing it before it attacked than me failing to kick it...
Tack

Post by Tack »

Another beef: You have to be the same level is the ARMOR AND EQUIPMENT to equip it. That's.... stupid, you get a kick-ass weapon and either you sell it (and maybe they have rare weapon in this game, I dunno) or wait for 15 levels to be about to equip it. I want to grind for the level, NOT to equip anything. :axe:

Now a question, I'm level 19 now, so when is Haseo going to be able to choose the other two classes in his Adept Rogue class? Is it just two or can I use the 4 points to pick out more then and what do you suggest for a first timer?

This is one thing I do like in R2 since it's going to let you try out the other classes. (is it just skills or what?)

See, it isn't all bitching. :lol:
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Iirc flying and armored things your level were still a lot more annoying if you played the wrong way, but it's been a while since I played...
Well, yeah, i have to agree with that, but still, logic itself is going to tell you to use the bigger weapons for the shielded ones, and especially more in Vol. 2 with certain items you can get :/ And in GU, you can even level up easily by fighting enemies 2-3 levels under yours (actually, that way you level up as much as you'd do in the IMOQ games while fighting those at you average level XD)...so, even if you failed that hard at the game to try to do everything with Gale Blades, it still isn't the hardest/most tedious thing ever.
Now a question, I'm level 19 now, so when is Haseo going to be able to choose the other two classes in his Adept Rogue class? Is it just two or can I use the 4 points to pick out more then and what do you suggest for a first timer?

This is one thing I do like in R2 since it's going to let you try out the other classes. (is it just skills or what?)
....Uh, right...'8D lol
You see, Haseo already chose his other 2 classes while creating his character, and those classes are Edge Punisher (1st extension), and Flick Reaper (2nd extension). You get the upgrades in Vol. 1 and 2 while advancing through story, meaning they're impossible to miss, and the average level of the Job Extension mission is lv20, so, you should be pretty close to it. There's a third special one, obtained in Vol. 3 and also by story means.

And yeah, sure enough, GU lets you play as 3 other classes, instead of just being a Twin Blade...but, i won't exactly say it as "it lets you try out the other classes"...more like "the main character has more than a single class". And yes, it's actually pretty darn awesome to be able to change your weapon, and use different skills for each one, also changing your strategies depending on the equipped weapon, and even the most fitting team for the weapon you'll be using....but, it's not as variated as you'd probably think. You won't ever see Haseo as a Blade Brandier, Steam Gunner, Harvest Cleric, or Lord Partizan...just with a pair of small swords, a very big one, a scythe, and some other cool thing D:
Tack

Post by Tack »

TheSorrow wrote:
Well, yeah, i have to agree with that, but still, logic itself is going to tell you to use the bigger weapons for the shielded ones, and especially more in Vol. 2 with certain items you can get :/ And in GU, you can even level up easily by fighting enemies 2-3 levels under yours (actually, that way you level up as much as you'd do in the IMOQ games while fighting those at you average level XD)...so, even if you failed that hard at the game to try to do everything with Gale Blades, it still isn't the hardest/most tedious thing ever.

....Uh, right...'8D lol
You see, Haseo already chose his other 2 classes while creating his character, and those classes are Edge Punisher (1st extension), and Flick Reaper (2nd extension). You get the upgrades in Vol. 1 and 2 while advancing through story, meaning they're impossible to miss, and the average level of the Job Extension mission is lv20, so, you should be pretty close to it. There's a third special one, obtained in Vol. 3 and also by story means.

And yeah, sure enough, GU lets you play as 3 other classes, instead of just being a Twin Blade...but, i won't exactly say it as "it lets you try out the other classes"...more like "the main character has more than a single class". And yes, it's actually pretty darn awesome to be able to change your weapon, and use different skills for each one, also changing your strategies depending on the equipped weapon, and even the most fitting team for the weapon you'll be using....but, it's not as variated as you'd probably think. You won't ever see Haseo as a Blade Brandier, Steam Gunner, Harvest Cleric, or Lord Partizan...just with a pair of small swords, a very big one, a scythe, and some other cool thing D:
It didn't delete his entire character... right I should of remembered that.

Well it still sounds cool. Will they tell me when it happens? And can I just equipped the weapons or can I use the armor too?
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Will they tell me when it happens?
Definetly. Given that, at least for Vol. 1 and 2, the characters go all "OMG YOU SHOULD UPGRADE YOURSELF!!" and even the place you go to is all "YEAH THIS IS A JOB EXTENSION FOR ADEPT ROGUES YOU WIN YOU GET AN EXTENSION!!"...yeah, you'll DEFINETLY know when it happens XD
And can I just equipped the weapons or can I use the armor too?
You can equip the respective weapons (dual swords, broadswords, scythes) and Heavy Armor only...so, it's just weapons. Not like that really matters though, since armor by itself is "generic", and what really matters about it is not which armor you can equip, but how much you can customize it (something that i have to admit it's better than IMOQ...since armor doesn't have "specific abilities" anymore, only rare ones, and you have plenty of more freedom in what to equip, regardless of level). You can also customize weapons, and i recommend you pay great attention to that, because customizing (and alchemizing, if you don't know about it yet you soon will) are the "little secret" in GU to become the strongest.
Lanay

Post by Lanay »

I prefer IMOQ, because the battle system makes me to think and play tactically.

It's just me, or anyone else thinking that G.U is more like "Button-Smashing" Game?  (Especially in the avatar battles)
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

It's just me, or anyone else thinking that G.U is more like "Button-Smashing" Game?
In comparison to IMOQ, yep, definetly. Not truly button-smashing though, since most of the game you'll be only "smashing" a single button to get through everything. In fact, the battle instructions should probably be like:
Press X to win.
Press R1 to win faster.
Press Square to press X faster, or smash R/L buttons when you're bored.
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

G.U.'s battle system wasn't "that" bad. Most of us managed to find ways to make the gameplay much more enjoyable, such as speed runs, team attacks, equipment restriction challenges, low level runs, skill trigger challenges, and much more. We've even got creative in avatar battles. :P There's so much to do and customize with the formula here, that you can pretty much play through G.U. in several different ways. Each one different than the rest. You'll especially have a lot to play with in Vol.3 if you posess a codebreaker. The only thing that I disliked about this system was the fact that battle was restricted inside of a cage. Even so, there's a way to even get around that. lol
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

...maybe THAT'S why I beat the game almost 10 times and still haven't gotten bored with it...