G.U.'s system

Tack

Re: G.U.'s system

Post by Tack »

Lanay wrote:I prefer IMOQ, because the battle system makes me to think and play tactically.

It's just me, or anyone else thinking that G.U is more like "Button-Smashing" Game?  (Especially in the avatar battles)
Sure seems like it. Of course when you finally get a spinning weapon that entertains you for a bit, but geez, that system has some flaws you have to admit. :?
_Tri-edge_ wrote:G.U.'s battle system wasn't "that" bad. Most of us managed to find ways to make the gameplay much more enjoyable, such as speed runs, team attacks, equipment restriction challenges, low level runs, skill trigger challenges, and much more. We've even got creative in avatar battles. :P There's so much to do and customize with the formula here, that you can pretty much play through G.U. in several different ways. Each one different than the rest. You'll especially have a lot to play with in Vol.3 if you posess a codebreaker. The only thing that I disliked about this system was the fact that battle was restricted inside of a cage. Even so, there's a way to even get around that. lol
Idea, make a thread which taps into that?
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

Well, most of what I said is pretty much scattered throughout the forum. Never considered making a topic though.
Tack

Post by Tack »

_Tri-edge_ wrote:G.U.'s battle system wasn't "that" bad. Most of us managed to find ways to make the gameplay much more enjoyable, such as speed runs, team attacks, equipment restriction challenges, low level runs, skill trigger challenges, and much more. We've even got creative in avatar battles. :P There's so much to do and customize with the formula here, that you can pretty much play through G.U. in several different ways. Each one different than the rest. You'll especially have a lot to play with in Vol.3 if you posess a codebreaker. The only thing that I disliked about this system was the fact that battle was restricted inside of a cage. Even so, there's a way to even get around that. lol
Codebreaker, you mean being able to hack the game right like one of those CDs you can use for Manhunt and GTA?

Can you explain a few of these to me with the (!)?

(!) team attacks- Are you talking about Awakenings or some other kind of team attack?

(!) equipment restriction challenges- Guessing that's go into an area with or without a certain item.

(!) low level runs- Is trying to survive a high area with a low level? Or just to see how fast you can get through one?

(!) skill trigger challenges- No idea

(!) We've even got creative in avatar battles- This one sound interesting, any chance you can go into details?
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

(!) equipment restriction challenges- Guessing that's go into an area with or without a certain item.
Nope, means going throughout the whole game without changing equipment, or only using/not-using certain equipment. Could also be not using any of the equipment you're given through story. Could also be using any equipment but without customization/alchemy. Things like that.
(!) low level runs- Is trying to survive a high area with a low level? Or just to see how fast you can get through one?
Finishing the game at the lowest level possible. Try to beat my record of Rebirth at lv38, Reminisce at lv71, and Redemption at lv109 ;D
...Or beat Master ZED's records. They're insaner than mine X_X Anyways, it means that...not an area in specific, but the whole game, as low as you can.
(!) skill trigger challenges- No idea
Not using the Skill Trigger in any battle. That also means no Rengeki. The Arena is never easy anymore if you try to take on this challenge, unless you're several levels higher. But overlevelling is never fun.
(!) We've even got creative in avatar battles- This one sound interesting, any chance you can go into details?
Finishing Avatar Battles without receiving any damage, or not using shots, or ONLY using shots, or the fastest possible, or more than one of those "challenges" at once. You can actually get to learn alot more about how the Avatars fight and their behaviour while doing challenges like this.

Not sure about what he means by Team Attacks '8D lol

And here's the link of a few YT channels with videos showing several of these challenges I WARN YOU THOUGH, these show battles against bosses from late in the game, final bosses included. So if you don't wish to be spoiled, it would be best to stay away from them until you're done with GU the first time:

My own channel, with Low Level boss battles, some Avatar battles, and a few other curiosities.

Master ZED's channel, which more more boss battles, all Avatar battles, and many other things.
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

Well, Sorrow pretty much explained everything perfectly. lol But to add on Skill trigger challenges, it is also when you can restrict yourself to using only one skill in the skill trigger throughout the entire game. i.e. Gale Blade only, Tiger Blitz only, etc.
TheSorrow wrote: Not sure about what he means by Team Attacks '8D lol
This is by far, the most enjoyable thing you can do in the games IMO. They aren't necessarily "team attacks", but it's when you set yourself up as well as your party to use the same skill at the same time. To synch the timing of the skills requires a bit of practice, but when done correctly, the entire party can perform the same skill at the exact same time. :D Here's a video to show you these in motion, but I must warn you. It does contain spoilers on what's to come, for it covers all skills for all classes throughout all three volumes. It also showcases the use of codebreaker, as MasterZED uses several characters besides Haseo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHcQjnXRZv8
Lanay

Post by Lanay »

_Tri-edge_ wrote:Well, Sorrow pretty much explained everything perfectly. lol But to add on Skill trigger challenges, it is also when you can restrict yourself to using only one skill in the skill trigger throughout the entire game. i.e. Gale Blade only, Tiger Blitz only, etc.
This is by far, the most enjoyable thing you can do in the games IMO. They aren't necessarily "team attacks", but it's when you set yourself up as well as your party to use the same skill at the same time. To synch the timing of the skills requires a bit of practice, but when done correctly, the entire party can perform the same skill at the exact same time. :D Here's a video to show you these in motion, but I must warn you. It does contain spoilers on what's to come, for it covers all skills for all classes throughout all three volumes. It also showcases the use of codebreaker, as MasterZED uses several characters besides Haseo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHcQjnXRZv8
When I saw that video, I saw several arts that I don't have. Is it also cheat?
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

There are several level 3 arts that are in the game, but aren't actually used (they have data, but you can't learn them normally). Just about every level 3 art has at least one variation that wasn't used.
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

Yes. These are called "Dummy arts." They have the same animation as the art they were originally based on. These skills were implented into the game, but Namco Bandai tossed them. Now, the only way to use these "hidden arts" is by unlocking them through codebreaker.
Tack

Post by Tack »

Lanay wrote:
_Tri-edge_ wrote:Well, Sorrow pretty much explained everything perfectly. lol But to add on Skill trigger challenges, it is also when you can restrict yourself to using only one skill in the skill trigger throughout the entire game. i.e. Gale Blade only, Tiger Blitz only, etc.
When I saw that video, I saw several arts that I don't have. Is it also cheat?
Darn it, makes you wish you could access the other classes. :)
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

You can, if you posess a codebreaker.
Tack

Post by Tack »

_Tri-edge_ wrote:You can, if you posess a codebreaker.
Is there a special one for .hack//gu or will any codebreaker do? What do you use Tri-Edge?
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

Well, MasterZED could explain this better than I, since he usually provides the codes himself, but I believe any "PS2" codebreaker will do. My old one developed by Pelican worked fine, although I wish it were more organized like Action Replay. :/
coslink

Post by coslink »

G.u's battle system was alot more pretty than the 1st games. I like the moving around aspect to the g.u. games. In IMOQ was just standing there half the time.
Genesismagician

Post by Genesismagician »

I've never died in G.U. Avatar Battles, but I have a really bad habit of over estimating myself, so I end up being level 5 and training in a level 20 zone... Bad things happen there. lol

I do greatly prefer G.U. over IMOQ as the combat system is more widely improved, plus the Battle Fence gives you a decent battle area instead of how it was in IMOQ where the entire field/dungeon was your combat zone...
Dark Blade

Post by Dark Blade »

Genesismagician wrote:I've never died in G.U. Avatar Battles, but I have a really bad habit of over estimating myself, so I end up being level 5 and training in a level 20 zone... Bad things happen there. lol

I do greatly prefer G.U. over IMOQ as the combat system is more widely improved, plus the Battle Fence gives you a decent battle area instead of how it was in IMOQ where the entire field/dungeon was your combat zone...

Aww come on! I loved the open field fighting! Made things far more interesting in my opinion. Especially if you were underleveled. Made the combat a lot more frantic if you ran in to a seal without meaning to.
Genesismagician

Post by Genesismagician »

I find things to be easier in a semi-enclosed area such as G.U.'s Battle Fence. If your on the verge of death and you havn't saved lately, using a Smoke Screen and moving your character 20 steps away, you'll be fine. This isn't an option in R:1. Besides... Rengeki's and awakenings are badass! lol