.hack//G.U. Any missable items/events/etc...

Icemasta

.hack//G.U. Any missable items/events/etc...

Post by Icemasta »

So I've gotten back into .hack a bit, got the .hack//G.U. game trilogy, just finished Rebirth, and wondered if there are any missable things? For instance, if memory serves, from the original 4 games, you had to do some special event in the third game to be able to unlock tons of characters in the fourth. If you skipped it, you wouldn't be able to unlock them. I read up on some things about the first game such as:
 Weapon unlocked by killing the blacklisted PK list, is that still doable past the first game? If not, will you be able to obtain the weapon through other means? If not, does that mean my item "ryu book" won't be completable?

This is assuming I'll be converting from game to game on all 3 games.

Thank you very much.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Re: .hack//G.U. Any missable items/events/etc...

Post by TheSorrow »

...You HAD to do the special event in Outbreak to get the Quarantine characters? I don't remember that, but i never skipped anything anyways XD

Anyways, here's the stuff you CAN miss in the GU Trilogy, and by miss it means that if you skip doing something in the past game, you won't be able to get them anymore:
-Equipment obtained from Quests
-Doppelganger weapons and Key Items obtained by...well, Doppelganger
-Desktop images from Avatar Battles in the Serpent of Lore
-Desktop images and BGM obtained from Ryu Book rewards

So, if you miss getting an armor only obtained in a Quest in Vol. 1, and you convert the data to Vol. 2 and play it, that armor will never be obtainable again as you play, and yes, that will also make your Ryu Book incomplete at least by that one armor. Failing to defeat Doppelganger in one of the games will result in missing at least 1 weapon and no little surprise in Vol. 3, and apparently, trying to get the Desktop/BGMs obtainable from a past volume in a new one will give you GP instead...and no matter how much GP you can get, it can't be compared to something you won't get again until you pretty much restart at least one of the games. Everything else, such like Monsters list, Keywords, Apkallu images, Crimson VS cards, Bike Missions and Parts (except those involving quests), Arena Points, Level, Skill Points, etc, all can be obtained even in Vol. 3 at the very end when there's nothing left to do, same with non-quest items and equipment...but my recommendation is to finish all quests, Ryu Books and Avatar Battles, and have defeated Doppel at least once in Rebirth and twice in Reminisce, before moving to the next game, and so that way you won't miss anything and proudly have a 100% completed game in the end, and try to not skip anything if you can do it in the current volume, especially that which involves Ryu Books. For example, you could fill the Monster List until Vol. 3 if you want, and there's no problem with it...however, failing to get the Monster part of the Ryu Book in Vol. 1 completed could result in not getting a certain image or music which will be obtainable if you start playing Vol. 2, and now THAT will be the problem.
Icemasta

Post by Icemasta »

If I recall, you had to do the character memory quest thing in volume 3 of the original .hack series, was a requirement to be able to get the member address. I remember reading a missables guide about it, saying if you skipped that, you were screwed.

Also, I read about this Other self Armor and shadow accessory. Is it missable? If I don't kill previous Doppelgangers, I won't be able to obtain those? Also, are they the best item in the game?
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Also, I read about this Other self Armor and shadow accessory. Is it missable? If I don't kill previous Doppelgangers, I won't be able to obtain those? Also, are they the best item in the game?
Yes, and it's part of the "Doppelganger weapons" i mentioned...even though it's actually some version of his armor, but same thing. But yeah, it's missable, and to obtain them, you have to beat Doppelganger once in Rebirth, and twice in Reminisce....if you don't beat him, you won't obtain them, and defeating Doppelganger 4 or 5 times in Redemption won't make up for it (the items are different in each volume, and you need all the Key Items in Redemption for the equipment). And well, Other Self will make you unable to receive damage unless you're against someone at a very high level (which won't happen, since it's a lv150 Armor anyhow), and Shadow will heal you so sickly you'll almost be immortal and spend no SP with skills, so yeah, they're among the best items in the game; cheapest more than best, actually XD
Master ZED

Post by Master ZED »

TheSorrow wrote:Yes, and it's part of the "Doppelganger weapons" i mentioned...even though it's actually some version of his armor, but same thing.
Actually (though this is trivial), the Other Self you obtain is the same armor he uses. The "Doppel version" Other Self doesn't have Doppel Armor 5 or False Existence, so he wouldn't have Damage Change if he used his unique third armor.
Icemasta

Post by Icemasta »

Alright, so let's say I don't care about wallpapers and BGM, I only really need to kill the doppelganger once in Rebirth, twice in reminisce and that's it? Anything else I'd be needing to know for volume 2 as well?

EDIT: I ask this because I had killed like 6 of the blacklisted PKers, hadn't saved in a while, after saving someone I pressing X too quickly and it gave me the talk/trade/gift dialog about that NPC I saved. I pressed trade since I found this intriguing, and it froze @_@.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Darn, that sucks D: It was a pretty interesting glitch though, and i didn't know it was possible, so i might try it myself one day just to see what happens with my own eyes XD Just a question...did that happen before the PC started speaking, or after it spoke and gave you the item?

Anyways, if you don't care about BGM and Wallpapers, you only have to worry about Doppelganger, and every quest except the Bikman one, since i believe it's the one that doesn't give you any unique equipment; the other quests give you some Rarity 5 armor or Accessory that you won't get anywhere else. Then again, if you really don't care about Ryu Books in general, you could skip them as well...all that equipment is CRAP and only worth getting because of completing the Ryu Book at 100%, and the only thing you lose by skipping it is the equipment indeed; you can do the quests in Vol. 2/3 like normal and get the respective items in those...or skip it too if you wish.

The only new thing to consider in Vol. 2 is that the Bike quests exist now...but, the only unique items you get from those are from quests you solve in the Quest Shop; they're good though, so you should consider getting them. Apart from that, you can freely skip doing the long-term quest with Kafu of riding in bike areas for long amounts of time, as it'll only give items you can get in other way, or those things that boost max HP/MP/stats. They're useful but you'll live without them.
Master ZED

Post by Master ZED »

TheSorrow wrote:The only new thing to consider in Vol. 2 is that the Bike quests exist now...but, the only unique items you get from those are from quests you solve in the Quest Shop; they're good though, so you should consider getting them. Apart from that, you can freely skip doing the long-term quest with Kafu of riding in bike areas for long amounts of time, as it'll only give items you can get in other way, or those things that boost max HP/MP/stats. They're useful but you'll live without them.
Actually, there are some unique bike parts in Kafu's possession along with the Biker's Charm (an accessory), so you do have to complete the campaign to fully complete the Ryu Books. What you can skip is placing first, since the bike missions themselves have no unique items you can't get later.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

But they're only the Bike Parts, right? Meaning, if Icemasta isn't interested in getting them, then it wouldn't be necessary to complete the campaign. But...then again, i'm not sure if Icemasta has knowledge already about the Bike missions and Bike parts in general XD For now though, i take it Icemasta is not interested in completing the Ryu Books, as he doesn't mind about Wallpapers and BGM.

Oh, and i forgot to mention...if you do want to get all equipment indeed, then you HAVE to defeat the Blacklist PKs, as that gives you the Ripper's Blades in Vol. 1. It's not that good of an item either, but it looks cool, and can be a little useful for the end of Rebirth and beginning of Reminisce.
Icemasta

Post by Icemasta »

My main concern is really just not locking myself out of any "ultimate" equipment. Had that happen in FFVII and it pissed me off to replay the whole damn game just to get Barret's ultimate weapon, which is really easy to miss. I did notice that a lot of the side quests give stats/hp/exp... boosters. But once again, I read somewhere that you can max your HP/stats if you trade in virus cores for those text thingy. Is that true?
N3IWVC

Post by N3IWVC »

Sure it's possible but take it from me it takes a really long time to max them. the virus cores don't usually come quickly enough for trade-ins to compete with simply completing a quest.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

My main concern is really just not locking myself out of any "ultimate" equipment. Had that happen in FFVII and it pissed me off to replay the whole damn game just to get Barret's ultimate weapon, which is really easy to miss.
Don't worry, there's none of that in GU. You could say that the "ultimate equipment" comes from certain Rarity 5 weapons and Lost Weapons (all coming from story events, un-missable even if you tried), equipment from the post-game quests (and only in Vol. 3 they're actually very nice), and Doppel weapons (miss-able as i already said...and you have each whole game to worry about getting them). There can be certain items that are hard to obtain or just take a long time to do so, but they hardly are equipment and if so then it's nothing "ultimate" or something you'll have to worry about for a strong team in the end; only if you want to complete the Ryu Books. And the best equipment you can make yourself involves any weapon you wish with certain powerful attachments, but you get those attachments at the end of Vol. 3, and as many times as you wish...so, impossible to "miss" either. The only "OMG IF YOU DON'T DO THIS AND GO THERE IN THAT EXACT POINT OF THE GAME YOU'LL MISS FOREVER!!"-like thing in GU it's a cutscene in Vol. 3....and gives nothing except a bit lulz.
I did notice that a lot of the side quests give stats/hp/exp... boosters. But once again, I read somewhere that you can max your HP/stats if you trade in virus cores for those text thingy. Is that true?
Yes, in post-Vol. 3 you have the option to exchange Virus Cores for any of the stat-boosting items, as many times as you wish. But to get Virus Cores, you have to use an Avatar Awakening against enemies, and each enemy will only give like 1 or 2 VC's, and the text items can go at around 40-80 Virus Cores each, so you can have an idea of how long it'll be to max out with your stats; even with the quickest methods of getting Virus Cores, you'd still take like 7 hours to max out each stat. But, if you're not much interested in maxing stats, and all you want to know is that if you can get such text items later, then yes, you can.
Icemasta

Post by Icemasta »

Well, thanks everyone, that was very helpful. :)
EtherealDeath

Post by EtherealDeath »

-
Last edited by EtherealDeath on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icemasta

Post by Icemasta »

Can you max your party members as well if you gift them the texts/others?

Also, what are Dusk Chim chims?
EtherealDeath

Post by EtherealDeath »

-