The Battle System

Sadivinedevil

The Battle System

Post by Sadivinedevil »

Over the course of the .hack franchise the battle systems for each set of games has always differed, and I would like to know what the members of this community think the ideal battle system for the next game would be. There are no bad ideas (Don't criticize the ideas of others), concepts from different games are welcome, and a turn based system is not off limits.

Things to include
From the original 4 games
Armor and weapons in the original 4 games gave certain elemental and physical attributes to the character who equipped them, and they actually played a big role in battle, they felt less important in G.U. and as far as I can tell were non existent in Link. Also armor specific spells and weapon specific attacks should make a comeback in my opinion as they would add a lot more strategy to the battle system.

From the G.U. games
Though I don't like battle systems that rely heavily on button mashing too much G.U.'s combat was actually very fun, some minor modifications to it such as using more than one button for different types of basic attacks and it could be perfect.

From Link
The break system where the enemy is temporarily disoriented or immobilized.

From Xenoblade Chronicles
Shortcut commands for magic and special attacks. The original 4 .hack games didn't have this, and you had to open the menu every time to use magic and special attacks. G.U. had the skill trigger system, but it paused the game and opened a menu to preform these attacks. Xenoblade allows the player to choose a command in real time without pausing the game and I think it would be a marvelous addition to .hack, especially if the next game is multiplayer.

Things to limit in the next game
From Link
The main problem with Link is that in order to defeat enemies efficiently you have to juggle them in a timed special attack chain. This happened way too often in Link and it is the main aspect that the game is criticized on. If something like it is included it should be included in a limited fashion when compared to Link.

From Asura's Wrath
Filling the burst gauge in Asura's Wrath seemed rather tedious if something like it is included it should only be used in certain situations.
Azure Flame Knight

Re: The Battle System

Post by Azure Flame Knight »

The new game, .Hack//Versus, which will be included in a bundle with .Hack//The Movie, already has a battle system set up and ready to go. Unless this is a "just for fun" type of thread?
hidora

Post by hidora »

Azure Flame Knight wrote:The new game, .Hack//Versus, which will be included in a bundle with .Hack//The Movie, already has a battle system set up and ready to go. Unless this is a "just for fun" type of thread?
This thread was posted before we actually had any real info on .hack//VERSUS.
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

hidora wrote:
Azure Flame Knight wrote:The new game, .Hack//Versus, which will be included in a bundle with .Hack//The Movie, already has a battle system set up and ready to go. Unless this is a "just for fun" type of thread?
This thread was posted before we actually had any real info on .hack//VERSUS.
This was posted about a week before the announcement, and back then I thought it would be an RPG.
Azure Flame Knight

Post by Azure Flame Knight »

Oh, my bad.
cherry1608

Post by cherry1608 »

Is it up for pre-order anywhere yet?
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

cherry1608 wrote:Is it up for pre-order anywhere yet?
Hybrid Pack http://www.yesasia.com/global/hack-seka ... /info.html

"The World" Pack http://www.yesasia.com/global/hack-seka ... /info.html