.hack//Link Storyline confusion *spoilers of course*

MTXlink

.hack//Link Storyline confusion *spoilers of course*

Post by MTXlink »

Hello Everyone! i'm new here on these forums, but have been following the actual website for 4 years now (maybe even more) :P. Haha, seems like a fun place to be!
Anyways, i just got back from a vacation in Japan, and i didn't stop until i found a .hack//link collector's edition box. And i eventually found one.

However, i thought hopefully reading the plot summaries online and watching the translation video would help me understand what's going on, but i'm still very confused. So, i don't understand anything about this chrono core stuff and travelling back in time. Tokio meets Kite (is he the actual Kite player from 2010?) who then frezes like everyone else in Mac Anu. Then somehow he goes back in time through the akashic records, and gets chrono cores correct? So then, what is he exactly unlocking when he goes back to present time? I thought a lot of the players would quit the game or have done so. and if they didn't, why do they have to have chrono cores to come back, or something like that?
Oh, and maybe it's because i haven't played far enough, but i don't understand what Saika wants with the cores. but again, i currently just beat the IMOQ timeline.
Finally, my biggest quirk is why schiksal is screwing up the .hack timeline. why do they exist again?
i know the .hack saga, especially link from what i played is all about the story. So i want to make sure i understand it lol because right now i don't know what i'm playing XD. So i just need help understanding what chrono cores are and how they can logically time travel. Thank you!
(BTW, has the fan dub currently translated all of the dialogue? i would enjoy the game a whole lot more if they did...)
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Re: .hack//Link Storyline confusion *spoilers of course*

Post by Kuukai »

Greetings reader! I also just got back from a vacation in Japan! I hope you got the chance to go to some of the places in Link's opening.

If there's anything confusing about the two story videos, I'd love feedback about what specifically is missing. I tried to make sure everything was explained but I've been knee-deep in the plot for years so I might have missed something.
MTXlink wrote:So, i don't understand anything about this chrono core stuff and travelling back in time.
The Chrono Cores are basically "keys" to get further in the Akashic Records. Kind of block out anything you heard from the manga, since it's similar but different in places. Resolving distortions at key points in the timeline causes them to manifest from certain characters.

The "timeline" itself is just The World's log data. It doesn't affect the real world or real people, but altering it alters The World itself and by extension the internet. CC Corp built the Akashic Records as a new way to control the internet.

The different things they do using the Akashic Records have different effects on the "timeline" of The World. Fluegel's gun, for example, uses the Akashic Records to "freeze" the Twilight Knights. This is done by screwing up their timeline, causing them to be stone in the present.

Tokio is just traveling through the time data to re-manipulate it, not going back in time.
MTXlink wrote:Oh, and maybe it's because i haven't played far enough, but i don't understand what Saika wants with the cores. but again, i currently just beat the IMOQ timeline.
Oh, if you haven't actually played very far then stop reading. Every question you could have is eventually explained in the game. Be sure to follow along in the video as you play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxVbwazpHco
MTXlink wrote:Tokio meets Kite (is he the actual Kite player from 2010?)
 No, the Twilight Knights are guardians created by Aura to stop Schicksal's plan.
MTXlink wrote:Finally, my biggest quirk is why schiksal is screwing up the .hack timeline. why do they exist again?
 They're a research organization studying soul and real digitalization in an effort to improve human lives. Their research is sponsored by the CEO of CyberConnect, and in return they accept a contract to capture Aura and help construct the Akashic Records using her as an unwilling power source.
MTXlink

Post by MTXlink »

OHHH! That all makes sense now! :D
Thank you so so much lol! that answered all my questions :). And yeah, i've read the manga, so that might have confused me a bit too.
i appreciate it and i appreciate your video too. The chrono core thing was the only thing that confused me, other than that, your video (i'm assuming lol) does a really great job of explaining the story. however i didn't know though in the beginning if Saika ever explained why she was searching for them with Tokio. It just said that they both went out looking. But if they explain it later that's all i needed. so thanks! i'll keep playing and following along with the videos.
By the way, do you know of a god place that either has .hack//the movie subs or a good plot summary? lol i bought .hack//the movie the world edition too (9450 yen!!! D:), and i read your .hack//versus summary (thank you for that), but i didn't see one of the movie.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Yup, it's explained later on. Really, everything I wanted Link to explain as I was playing was eventually explained. It's better to avoid spoilers.