.hack//LINK Unofficial Fan Translation Project

Chmaki

Re: .hack//LINK Unofficial Fan Translation Project

Post by Chmaki »

Hello there! Thanks you so much for your amazing work! If one day you really did it to the end.. you make many people in the whole world happy, even in Russia! Maybe only japanese people don't want this translation because they already have .hack//Link on their language... Of course not all people know english, but.. even for those, better play it in english than japanese!
What I just said it's obvious, but this how I shown my appreciation to ours heroes.
Jun banzai!! Kuukai banzai!!
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Lol, thanks!

Yeah, the other thing I've thought about is emoticons. The official translation I think flattens them all into :) and I want to retain most of Mistral's silly faces the way they are. For the most part there's no problem with this but the "w" suffix would confuse players so I'm messing around with what to do with that. I think I did *grin* in the Helba fskit I translated in there. Another one is orz since not everyone knows it and it looks like text.

Yeah I noticed that too actually. One person's shindig doesn't look like the bomb diggity.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

Thanks Chmaki,

I think maintaining the emoticons would probably be for the best to, I know some of them can get crazy, but I think fans would appriciate it.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Yeah, especially Geist and his hearts.

Ack, it happened again. I wanted m0706135.ccs but there was a doppelganger script in m0705135.ccs. Does the 6/5 indicate new/old?

Also, how is it going with what I sent you? I'm trying to come up with a to-the-minute plan of the exact scenes I want, but I wanna know what your schedule is like and if you think we can continue at this pace and crank out about an hour of video before the 20th. Let me know what you think. I'll share the outline when I finalize it sometime this weekend. Until now the cm's and the later scenes in the sc file (for instance, that first one I mixed up the slot of) are all good to do I think.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

Those 6 and 5 numbers are residual meta data, that number just tells the engine how many lines are in this block, the hash(#) at the end is also residual metadata denoting the end of the text segment.

We should be able to crack out an hour of video before may 20th, it might be tight though, I haven't gotten around to copying in the new data you sent to me yet, but it is only a matter of getting it in there and capturing a video feed. Could you, if possible, tell me where on the timeline map I should be looking for the scenes you have sent?

Thanks
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Ok, I see.

Certainly, I was planning to do that. It'll be part of the outline I give you. I'm almost done, I'm just adding the turning point of the story (beginning and end are done - the time-consuming part of this is timing everything to know what to cut). If you want to get the current batch of text copying out of the way, we can hold off on the video capture for now. Once I know exactly which scenes we still need (the point of the outline), I assure you I will be spamming you with text as fast as I humanly can.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

:shock: spamming me with text great haha, I guess that means I will have to do work. lol, I know what I signed up for.

So the first step for me would be to copy that text into the game and then replay the scenes to see if they fit OK, then I will make notes about problems with spacing, then I would need to cut the videos. The first step is the easiest, and the last step is the hardest. Fun fact it took me 6 hours to capture and cut that last video, partially because of errors that popped up, such as a video file exceeding 4GB, which is not a file-system limitation but a limitation of my encoder.

Open call for suggestions, I am looking for a video encoder that plays well with Remote Joy Lite, right now I am using full frames uncompressed, I think it uses standard VFW encoders, so personal opinions are welcome.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Holy crap, it's that hard?! Wow, that sucks, I was imagining it was as easy as watching it... In that case we might need to reconsider? It turned out great though. Hmm, if we could just get around the encoding problem we'd be better off? I actually just typed the following before you posted, let me know what you think:

Ok, this is a tentative list of what we have left. I haven't finished timing and adding stuff up but I'm pretty sure it's closer to one hour than, uh.. two? ^^;; The first part if it's there is the timeline name (if it's not, assume the one from above), the number is the chapter and the letter is the scene. After the is the running time if I know it. This venn diagrams with the translations I sent you--some of this is covered by those and some of those have nothing to do with this. The sc ones I said were a priority all overlap, if you want I can find the .ccs names for all of these. If you think this is too much I can try to pull stuff out, or I might try to drop some stuff during the process. This is enough to understand all the points of the story, though. After we translate these, if you want I'll send you some notes that bridge all the gaps you can use to supplement it for your own enjoyment when you record it. You can be the first person to watch it coherently in English!

(Made some edits. Started listing the source files and what stage they're at. "Untranslated" needs work, "Kuukai" is finished, and "Jun" is sent to you. Let me know if you need more. DONTHAVEFILE seems to be true for FMV overlay text. Know if we can find these in a different place? Search for: 久しぶりの日本はどう)

Code: Select all

.hack//Link 02cd - 2:42 - cm:m0002030.ccs(Jun) & sc:m0002040.ccs(Jun)
.hack//Link 02gh - 0:43 - cm:m0002120.ccs(Jun) & notext
.hack//SIGN 01a - 0:49 - cm:m0101010.ccs(Jun)
.hack//SIGN 02acd - 2:10 - cm:m0002050.ccs(Jun), cm:m0002070.ccs(Jun), cm:m0002090.ccs(Jun)
.hack//SIGN 09bcd - 4:20 - sc:m0109325.ccs(Jun), cm:m0107180.ccs(Jun), cm:m0107120.ccs(Jun)
.hack//Link 03c - 0:50 - cm:m0201060.ccs(Jun)
.hack// 06de - 3:55 - (cm:m0306090.ccs OR cm:m0306095.ccs they're identical and cover both scenes somehow - Jun)
.hack// 07b - 1:17 - cm:m0306120.ccs(Jun)
.hack//Link 04g - 1:05 - cm:m0501045.ccs(Jun)
.hack//Roots08e - 1:16 - cm:m0507110.ccs(Jun)
.hack//Link 05b-f - 4:35 - cm:m0601020.ccs(Jun), cm:m0601040.ccs(Jun), cm:m0601050.ccs(Jun), notext, sc:m0601080.ccs(Kuukai)
.hack//Link 05i-m - 7:10- cm:m0601170.ccs(Jun), sc:m0601180.ccs(Kuukai), cm:m0601190.ccs(Jun), sc:m0601200.ccs(Kuukai), sc:m0601240.ccs(Kuukai)
.hack//Link 06f - 1:10 - cm:m0602080.ccs(Jun)
.hack//G.U.01a? - 1:00 - sc:m0701325.ccs(Kuukai)
.hack//G.U.03e - 0:55 - cm:m0704070.ccs(Jun)
.hack//G.U.05b - sc:m0706135.ccs(Kuukai)
.hack//G.U.06c - sc:m0707060.ccs(Kuukai)
.hack//G.U.07f - sc:m0708100.ccs(Kuukai)
.hack//G.U.10cd - sc:m0711350.ccs(Kuukai), sc:m0711380.ccs(Kuukai)
.hack//G.U.13b - sc:m0714040.ccs(Kuukai)
.hack//Link07e?
.hack//Link07hij - notext, cm:m0901030.ccs(Jun), cm:m0901050.ccs(Jun)
.hack//Link07l - cm:m0901070.ccs(Jun)
.hack//Link08a - notext
.hack//Link09g - notext
.hack//Link09h - sc:m0901380.ccs(Jun)
.hack//Link10cdefghij - notext, sc:m0902150.ccs(Jun), cm:m0902160.ccs(Jun), sc:m0902170.ccs(Jun), cm:m0902180.ccs(Jun), cm:m0902200.ccs(Jun), sc:m0902205.ccs(Jun), cm:m0902210.ccs(Jun)
.hack//Link11a - notext
.hack//Link12f - cm:m0904070.ccs(Jun)
.hack//Link13ab - notext, notext
.hack//Link 14abdfg - 5:16 sc:m0906330.ccs(Jun, as m0905080.ccs), cm:m0905090.ccs(Jun), notext, sc:m0906050.ccs(Jun), cm:m0906060.ccs(Jun)
.hack//Link 15c(part of d) - 1:10 - cm:m0906140.ccs(Jun), sc:m0907130.ccs(Jun)
.hack//Link 15efghij - 5:40 - sc:m0907150.ccs(Jun - as first part of m0906170.ccs), notext, sc:m0907710.ccs(Jun - as second part of m0906170.ccs), mv05_t_jpn.css(Jun), sc:m0907710.ccs(Jun - as last three lines of m0906170.ccs), cm:m0906180.ccs(Jun)
.hack//Link 15k - 0:40 - notext
.hack//Link 15oq - sc:m0907190.ccs(Jun), sc:m0907210.ccs(Jun)
.hack//Link15r - cm:m0906250.ccs(Jun)
.hack//Link15tuv - cm:m0906280.ccs(Jun), notext, mv06_t_jpn.css(Jun)
.hack//Integration 01s - sc:s0301110.ccs (Jun)
Unknown03abc, Unknown01a- 4:28 -sc:s9922010.ccs(Jun), sc:s9922020.ccs(Jun), mv08_t_jpn.css(Jun), notext
There are a few scenes in here that are FMVs that I might be able to just convert if that saves time... Confused about the audio though...

EDIT: Also, I was looking up what "data anomaly" (somehow missing from the wiki) was in the English version, and it seems like for quotes they just write it "The World". Was it different in the first series?
kenma9123

Post by kenma9123 »

JunBansyoya wrote::shock: spamming me with text great haha, I guess that means I will have to do work. lol, I know what I signed up for.

So the first step for me would be to copy that text into the game and then replay the scenes to see if they fit OK, then I will make notes about problems with spacing, then I would need to cut the videos. The first step is the easiest, and the last step is the hardest. Fun fact it took me 6 hours to capture and cut that last video, partially because of errors that popped up, such as a video file exceeding 4GB, which is not a file-system limitation but a limitation of my encoder.

Open call for suggestions, I am looking for a video encoder that plays well with Remote Joy Lite, right now I am using full frames uncompressed, I think it uses standard VFW encoders, so personal opinions are welcome.
Try the xvid codec from the remotejoy.. if this doesn't appear on the menu try to install some codec pack like K-Lite.. also use remotejoylite 0.19 instead of the .20a(because that one is so buggy)

..So the progress is looking good even-though i don't really see it,.. :D, i can imagine it right now by just reading the thread 8)
please, take a good care of it ;),it was an awesome project!! goodluck again..
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Yup, that was our hope moving to this thread, to make that more apparent! ^^;

I updated my last post and I'll be continuing to do so. There are a lot of "Jun" files, so have fun! ^^

I'll continue to translate, there aren't that many HUGE text runs yet and I'm moving at a good pace. The one hazard is those alt versions, but I'm aware of it now so that shouldn't be a problem. My translation for the ending is right but again some of it was in the wrong place, that's noted in the list.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

Holly you have been busy, haha, good weekend for your. I am afraid I have not been as productive, I did crack into my .hack collection to look into The World proper translation,
  • .hack//XXXX - Refers to it as The World no braces.
  • .hack//cell - The World in italics
  • .hack//Link (manga) - Varies between The World and The World
  • .hack//Alcor - The World nothing special
  • .hack//AI buster - The World nothing special
  • .hack//Legend of the Twilight - THE WORLD all caps
  • .hack//Infections - presumably the other ones - "The World"
  • .hack//GU - "The World" - "The World" in a Goldish color
Note the Manga mentioned here are not in all caps like you previously stated, Its weird I didn't notice it before but now it just plane looks weird. I was just at a book store and looked at GU+ and they do use the standard all caps method but I don't remember what variant of the The World they use.

Also I guess I was wrong about the square bracket thing, I am sure i saw it somewhere in English like that before, it might have been a fan translation of one of the anime series that I am basing my memory on, I think it looks cooler with the square quotes but for sake of game continuity it might be better to use standard quotes ("The World") or "THE WORLD" if we decide to go all caps.

Also for data anomaly, I don't remember and special attention being made to it in the form of quotes or color. I don't quite remember where in the old games I would have to look for that. Does anyone in the audience remember it?

Also as for that road map you provided is that everything you want to have done for the con?

Those FMV were previously found but i didn't think those videos were part of the story, remember when i told you there are 10 PMF file, I expressed concern that they are untranslatable(due to lack of unofficial pmf encoder), but after i played them back I realized there were no voices over them so I considered them useless, I did find a bunch of files that are named to match them, they are subtitle files, never looked into them but they were there. Thats one of those files and the subtitle file is not useless haha. It matches the format of the CM files, so no issue there, I will get you a dump of it tonight. from now on it will be referred to as mv, as that is the directory it is in. edit: mv file sent, only 3 block of text in the 10 files.

For the alt version if it is easier just translate the differences and point me to the "file" with the rest, So I will input all of them, but you only need to translate necessary parts.

Also thanks again kenma9123, I figured you would have a good solution for us, I just took a minute of video just now and it was only 15MB so i should not hit the 4GB max now, and it was decent quality, I installed it direct from xvid. Yeah I know not to use 0.20 I tried it to see if the added features would be helpful but it crashed.

Also I know kenma9123 you have translated psp games before, have you had any success replacing fonts in a game? If you have, do you think it is possible in this game? I am asking directly because I know you have seen the complete file structure of this game.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Yeah, since the games are the only "official" translation and Link doesn't do the gold text thing, "The World" is probably the best way. It turned out it was data anomaly with no quotes, but since it's a term I went with "data anomaly", at least for now. Data anomalies are the way to access Outer Dungeons in G.U., but in Link one appears for another reason in R:1.
JunBansyoya wrote:Also as for that road map you provided is that everything you want to have done for the con?
Yup, exactly.

Awesome. Yeah, three sounds about right for the PMF subtitles. We shouldn't need to hard-edit anything except maybe the opening if we want. But the audio is in some Sony codec I cant figure out, so I think I need you to do video capture on the opening and maybe some other places if that's easier now...
JunBansyoya wrote:For the alt version if it is easier just translate the differences and point me to the "file" with the rest, So I will input all of them, but you only need to translate necessary parts.
So far everything in the outline IS the right translation, I translated straight from the video for those, but I just put some of it in the wrong places in the sc file so there are notes on where it should really go.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

Well we do have control over the colour of text if we choose to use the colour text option. We should not use gold text though, GU most text was on a dark background Link on the other hand has text over white backgrounds with exception for menu items, so contrast issues. Should we have "data anomalies" as a proper noun.

OK sounds doable on the road map,

Opening creditsThe song has no vocals so we wont need to translate that correction i am an idiot, If you know anyone who can karaokefy the song that might make for a nice intro, It is also already captured, I wanted to have it in the video i posted last week, but it was the easiest cut to make it fit into the YouTube window of 15 minutes.
Kuukai wrote:So far everything in the outline IS the right translation, I translated straight from the video for those, but I just put some of it in the wrong places in the sc file so there are notes on where it should really go.
For now I will leave the alt versions be then, but I would like to put them in later just in case they are easter eggs or something, they mostly just vary but one or two line anyway right?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Yeah, that's probably why they dropped the gold text in Link. In G.U. it was there on the Japanese side too, it wasn't something the localizers invented. I think quotes makes more sense than capitalizing it for now... It's basically what the Japanese version is doing.

Awesome, glad to hear it! On that note I just sent you the mv file back and labeled those spots on the roadmap.

Yeah there was one member interested in helping with that, but I'm waiting for a response. We don't need it for the con showing, though. Although the lyrics to the song are interesting and it would really hammer home "this is a translation", I think it's actually my lowest priority right now. Of course if I have time at the end I'll totally do it, and after the con I'll do it for sure. I wonder what the footprint of hard subs would be on the patch, though...

Yeah, no problem. In many cases the differences aren't even translatable (optional kanji that are/aren't used in the two versions, etc., don't ask me why)...

If the CMs take the most time for you, then I guess I'll try to finish those off next, since they're the easiest for me, and now I have the new file you sent.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

I was thinking both quote and caps, but whatever.

haha awesome, one file completely completed, I'll drink to that.

The intro is a very low priority especially if you don't want it subtitled for the con, there is a 99% chance that it would not be able to be in our final product, as stated before there are no encoders for that file type, so i need to break into Sony and get one haha but I imagine that security is going to be tightened up now.

As for the patch... the opening is only 14 mb, to patch that we would essentially need to completely replace the file (once again if possible). As it stands now we are increasing the main data file by 300 mb just by adding a single file to it, so a direct patch from what they have to what we have will be huge...(since it is compressed data, the patch may very well be the same size as our final file) also the ppf file suggested by kenma are only good with a very[\i] small variance in size. Even if we make the end user extract and recompile the source data like I do every time and patch it off that, (which would cut down the size of our patch) we are still out of the the ppf nice zone. There is a possibility I might need to make a custom patch software for this particular game, which is not a problem but a hurdle I will need to jump through when that time comes.

OK cool, silly silly game, I also just found 5 more files/bundles of file. with text in them, don't ask me why it is so all over the place, although I know for a fact it is just extra data like strings for the time map, the random text your team yell when you are partying together. more fun.

I will test out the MV files tomorrow night, I am getting tired here now almost 1:30 now.
kenma9123

Post by kenma9123 »

I've never done it before.. but i think it would be possible..
I'll ask my friend who knows how do it.. (Truthkey if you guys know him. he translated the entire Kingdom Hearts birth By sleep: Final mix, and got a luck on changing the fonts, btw he got the fonts on the usa KHBBS) so I'll try to hook em up if i see him online :D
Last edited by kenma9123 on Mon May 02, 2011 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

Thanks man let me know what he says. Don't know him, this is my first venture into fan translation so I don't know many of the names.

I had an account there already, we probably should not talk about that site here, some of the tools they provide there have questionable legal status. Edit your post to remove the link.

We know how to decode pmf files I was pondering how to encode it back up after we add subtitles, from what I can gather without an official SDK encoding a modified video back to pmf is impossible.
kenma9123

Post by kenma9123 »

Removed :D

Well the link posted is a guide on how to down-sampled files(convert them to low sampling mode).. maybe if you try to add some subtitle on .avi outputted it will probably convert back to pmf.. though I'm still not sure as what have you stated..but it is worth trying :)
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Is there a way to get the sound too? That would be the highest quality way to show the opening and the one of the previews that doesn't have subtitles if it isn't too involved.
JunBansyoya wrote:OK cool, silly silly game, I also just found 5 more files/bundles of file. with text in them, don't ask me why it is so all over the place, although I know for a fact it is just extra data like strings for the time map, the random text your team yell when you are partying together. more fun.
Yeah, I figured we'd find that eventually. Only a little bit of system text is in the sc file.
kenma9123

Post by kenma9123 »

Are you asking that to me or to Jun?well if so.. definitely yes and its in .at3 format..