v1.0.0 came out a week ago an as already noted on the .hack//Translate site there are still some issues ta be worked out. I've been poking around on old game finished save files this past week and have still been encountering freezes & oddities.
- The Database appears to be fully translated but the downside is reading through it may be impossible cause it causes the system to crash. Utilizing an endgame save (with all database entries unlocked) sections 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 all cause a freeze after a seemingly random number of Up/Down button presses. An not on any specific entry. From what I can tell it can happen on any of them. So far (through the main SIGN era) no matter how much I scroll through it, no crashes occur. n/m that spoilered stuff! I'm checking in after each episode of the game ta try an determine when the breaking point is.
Update: Okies after finishing .hack// ep03 I've come across the first instance of a Database freeze. The new entries added to it are: Emma, Eight Phases, Eight Phases Skeith, and Cursed Wave. Could one/some/all of these be the cause? I'm kinda convinced its Eight Phases and/or Eight Phases Skeith because currently, it only occurs where they're placed (section 6). Could freezing happen prior to this? idk. As mentioned whether a new entry was added or not, I'd checked the Database after each episode an scrolled through it like mad an hadn't encountered a freeze. But this here is a definite one I can force to happen very easily, combined with my checking using an endgame save things matchup to pin these two as causes for the section 6 freeze (for now, even if these two entries were fixed, ones added to it as the game goess on may also turn out to be bugged).
Update 2: Now after finishing .hack// ep07 simply trying to access the Database makes the system freeze. There are new entries in there, which they are however, I don't know. Why an old cleared game file can access it without freezing (barring accessing the above mentioned sections) I also dunno! I guess for now I'll leave it be and continue checking in after each episode to see if/when it unbricks itself?
Update 3: BREAKTHROUGH! After finishing .hack// 08-09, Roots 01-09, ZERO 01-05, LotT 01-02, Liminality, Another Birth, Link 04-06, G.U. 01, and finally G.U. 02 the Database no longer freezes the game!! Since the Database defaults to Section 1, Entry 1 on opening my guess is that the Aura entry may have been causing this issue? Post-G.U. 02, Aura is now the second entry as AIDA took the space she left behind (fitting lol). In addition to this the previously mentioned Section 6 seems (for now) to no longer be bugged. B Program, Stone Monument, Epiaph User, PKK, and Posaune were added to that section since I'd last been able ta check it. Obviously at some point it'll break again, but now that the darn thing can be opened once again I can restart keeping tabs on when exactly that'll be!
Update 4: Now after beating LotT 03 the entry for Cobalt Knights got added to Section 6 an now that section is freezing again while scrolling through it. e.e; I reverted to an earlier save so that entry wouldn't be there, then went on to some other stuff and eventually AI Buster 01 after which Descendants of Fianna was added to Section 6 and made the game freeze. So I'ma revert that save also to continue having a fully functional Database as long as possible. Really wonder if this has more ta do with the sections expanding and bumping up/down the order of terms moreso than the translated text itself.
- The F-Skit List page as always will still cause freezes by scrolling through it much like with the Database. Currently, its 7 pages long for me and zero scrolling crashes have happened. However with my endgame save (all characters an thus all pages unlocked) it will become a thing. Selecting (pressing Circle on an entry) will always cause its to freeze, right from the point this feature is unlocked. This bites cause it means fskits can't be re-viewed after the initial time ya unlock 'em.
- Update: There are 3 of these which cannot be viewed at all.
Among Thorns: Kite & Tri-Edge [Telepathy]
Among Thorns: Midori & Tri-Edge [Lending and Borrowing]
Aina's Room: Cubia, Ovan, Tri-Edge & Flugel [A Gathering of Worthy Opponents]
The PSP will freeze up then after a few seconds shut itself off (PPSSPP will also crash)/
- Sort Friends (Partner Deployment) bug is still around which means Grand Whale management still requires swapping back and forth from the patched game to the original game disc (or I guess unpatched game in iso form if ya got room on your psp card for both). In my experience, this glitches out post-.hack era once ya start getting those PCs onboard the Grand Whale. n/m that spoilered stuff!
Update: from as early as you have access to it (post-SIGN) the Management Register facility can cause a freeze if you've pressed Triangle to open the Affection menu and assign PCs with it still open. As per my endgame save, this issue had spread to all of the other facilities. I seem to recall sorting them through the regular menu causing troubles in the past. Whether thats been fixed or I'm not remembering correctly is up in the air.
Update 2: stupidly I hadn't been keeping closer tabs on this (since forcing a crash after every story episode to check the database was painful enough) but as of at least post-Link 06, the EX Shop and Dressing Room join the Management Register in crashing when using the Affection menu.
- View Status in Areas with UPCs in tow seems to not crash the game up until you start Ranking Up characters. I had zero crashes through the SIGN era viewing Tokio and Mimiru/Subaru/Tsukasa's status. Once the Serpent of Lore opened and I began ranking them up, going into Areas and selecting this made the crashes start rollin' in. Strangely, viewing Tokio's status in the Grandwhale/Towns doesn't make this happen whether he's ranked up or not. n/m that spoilered stuff! I took a save with no one ranked up at all and mashed L/R/Square enough times it eventually caused the crash to happen lol. Further proof that the fanslation bugged the heck outta the games menus.
On top of that there is something seriously weird going on with the Input 4 part. Like for example when you highlight it for Midori the description at the bottom is totally freaking out (via emulator). It says
+10 (now imagine the digit before the period rapidly looping from 0 to 4, and the digits after it going through 0 to 9) 0.00000E-313 (switching between 313 & 314) XP for defeating enemies. On an actual PSP (cause I prefer to play on one anyway as opposed to emulator) the numbers are static but still nonsensical. For instance with Bo it says: "+20 5.647550E-265XP for defeating enemies." which is equally O.o
Like whaaaaat? I suspect this occurs with any UPC who's bonus is extra XP.
- Mail can randomly cause freezes. I dun believe this applies to any specific mails. For instance "Prisoners of Charon #1" caused a freeze, and then when opening it again, it didn't. So far this only applies to re-reading mail. No mail marked as "new" being opened for the first time has caused any troubles.
Update: By the way attempting to reply to Subaru's first friendship mail "Subject: Thank you very much" seems ta cause a freeze without fail. Tsukasa, Mimiru, and Silver Knight's first ones do not seem to do this.
Update 2: "No mail marked as "new" being opened for the first time has caused any troubles." this statements now invalid. I opened "Request: Terror of Death" brand new and the game froze. I opened it new again, and nothing went wrong. Quit out, reloaded, checked it new again again and still good (then a 4th time which froze, and 5th didn't). Now I'm guessing all mail new or old is subject to possibly bugging out which is quite bad I gotta say.
Update 3: This is abit of a big one!
- "Request: Nanase's Determination" can be read but if you scroll down the line "For more information, listen" (and the others below it) you're not gonna be able to exit an instead get frozen. That is, unless you scroll back to the line/lines above it so that they're no longer onscreen! Why???
- Like the above, "Request: The Reason I Can't Love" also crashes on trying to exit if you've scrolled down to the "For more information, listen" which can be avoided if ya don't scroll down that far, or don't try to exit until you scroll back up. However! Unlike the above it can be avoided entirely by simply exiting the mailbox and then going back in. Then you'll be allowed to exit from any part of this piece of mail.
- Ya can open and read "Request: Zelkova Is Missing" but exiting outta it causes a crash without fail. The solution I've found? Don't open it the first time it shows up in your mail. Exit the mailbox and then open it back up and you'll be able to read and exit out of this piece of mail no problem! But... why?!
Update 4: like Subaru's one mail, BlackRose's one "Subject: Increased" will also crash the game if ya try an reply to it.
Update 5: "Subject: Recently" from Atoli seems to be another without fail crash.
Update 6: Subject: Real Digitalization from Helba's another one I couldn't find a workaround for.
- Area Results causes a freeze on the third translated explanation box, meaning ya can't even view the area results lol. Not that you could anyway~ cause in past versions before the explanations were translated, it tended to freeze up on the results part anyhow.
- Inventory using Items from the menu can cause a freeze. This is another one of those not-100% guaranteed things. It can happen, but not always. 50/50 I guess?
- Atoli Crash can finally confirm this is still a thing! Stange how speaking to Atoli at the Mac Anu Chaos Gate in G.U. 03 and 10 to advance the story is no problem but in G.U. 13 it causes this issue.
Update: X'over 09 crashes in almost the exact same way as the Atoli one. Except instead of entering the Chaos Gate screen an then clicking on someone to speak with, simply trying to enter the Chaos Gate screen makes it happen.
fwiw I'm playing/testing using the short patch method (run_to_patch) and opting to include the translated intro lyrics. Also the filesize from this version is drastically smaller than most past ones. Dunno what if any effect this may have. Not using the data install option either.
Unpatched: 0.99 gb
v0.1 | 0.2 | 0.2.2 | 0.2.3 | 0.4 | 0.4.1 | 0.4.5: 1.15 gb
v0.3: 939 mb
v1.0.0: 938 mb
Think this is one I mighta mentioned once before, but one time during my latest session pulling my PSP outta of sleep mode caused the music in town to suddenly stop an no music (sound effects still worked) returned until I entered an Area!
I see character profiles aren't translated, nor any of the Grand Whale facility upgrade things. PCs on the Grand Whale and Areas dialogue isn't translated either, an I guess this'll apply to PCs in towns during the story. Guess thats some of the text that can't/won't be translated. Shame about the PC stuff since its immersion breaking.
Feel like some text can be removed especially since it goes offscreen into unreadable territory anyhow. Like in Tokio's status under Unison Name when paired with Albireo its "Bug deletion your forte? Physically-focused U". The physically/magically focused unison parts don't add anything imo.
I started a new game to have a look at various things an already noticed the "hey player, go where we want you to go" stuffs not translated either. aka Saika says go to the Akashic Records but you instead go down an try to use the mail station and then she's like "nope!" in japanese text. I expect this'll happen with her and anyone else in said situations. I know the stuff outside of the freezing that I've brought up is unimportant but still worth noting incase someone new happens ta give this a try and is confused to if they patched the game right and all. An I also know 1.0.1 is on its way to smooth out some additional stuff to boot!
I dunno if the fskits are being worked on with further editting or not but they need it badly all the same. Many force you to read behind the lines to figure out whats actually being said, some have one character saying a line clearly meant to have come from anothers mouth, others are plains unreadable either cause sense can't be made of them or because the dialogue goes way off screen outta the text box, and there are still ones with untranslated japanese characters in 'em.
Also since that 1.0.1 patch is coming along, I've been skipping all story scenes after a few chapters into the game. Just blowing through it trying to document crash conditions. Else I'd be post a ton of screenshots of text I think could use touchups.
Thanks for the long years of hardwork to bring about the current full release and the bit of overtime currently happening!
Last edited by Lindz
on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:58 am, edited 11 times in total.