.hack//LINK Unofficial Fan Translation Project

JunBansyoya

Re: .hack//LINK Unofficial Fan Translation Project

Post by JunBansyoya »

I figured I would update again, Got the second program done, it is not as nice as the other one but it does the job. Now Updating the story text has gone from tedious to trivial.

The only thing left that is convoluted to modify is the menu and random text, they are all in the same file I might make a program to make it easier, but I will hold off on that until I get the current story videos I am working on done.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Lol, you have special dispensation to double post :P

Uhh, if you don't like spoilers, the best I can tell you is i'll try to keep things in order. The game is in Japanese, you're editing it, so it's going to be hard for you to ever just play through normally without advance knowledge. But the fight I'm talking about is a cutscene in the introduction, and happens like five minutes after what we've already translated. It was in my initial script. If you're just working towards it that's cool.

Yeah, that save should be fine for translating the major cutscenes. In the future I'll give you my save since the gamefaqs one probably didn't unlock all 400 fskits we need to translate. Also I have a save at the final boss so that would help for capturing it.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

lol, I contemplated just updating a previous post but I oped to double post (actually it was a triple post). Sorry if that is an issue I wont do it in the future.

Haha, I meant that as a joke, I knew I was gonna be spoiled day one so I don't mind, it is not the destination it is the journey and I cannot wait to play this journey all the way through without interruptions... Although I am tired of repeating the opening training sequence. haha.

The only thing I don't have unlock, from my memory, is the 2024 stuff. But that save for the final boss would be great.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Don't worry about it, I'm sure everyone on this board is excited by your progress. That's why I'm posting here versus PM, maybe we'll get less nagging.

Ok, cool. I'm about a third of the way through all the manga cutscenes I think. Concentrating on the important ones. I owe the progress to pretty much just shotgunning it based on the text. Might need another draft, but the point is that I can guarantee you won't be wont for source material.

The f-skits you actually play from the shop mall. I doubt they have most of them unlocked, they're unlocked via hundreds of different crew+room combinations. I've already translated a few but since they're not voiced we'll ignore that for now. That definitely contributes to the size of the sc file though.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

That was another reason multi-post, keep them in the know. PMs are kinda a pain as well, so I am perfectly ok working publicly.

Just an update, we confirmed that the built in font does not have umlauts included (I am assuming other accents as well) the system supports UTF-8, so if I figure out a way to replace the font I will make sure that the replacement has accented characters and will return the accents to the game, I kinda want to release that separately and we can call it the Umlaut patch, I don't know why but I find the concept of a patch that just add umlauts very funny. Things effected;
  • Flügel is now Fluegel
  • Brieler Rössle is now Brieler Roessle
Speaking of jokes,I soo wanted to change this line
and save my friends...
save 『The World』!
to...
and save the cheerleader...
save 『The World』!
That makes sense with the f-skits, I don't imagine a lot is gained in regard to the story with those, so leaving them for now would be OK. I didn't realize the sc file was almost 2 megs, a lot of text. I don't have many f-skits unlocked as well.

I hoped to complete the full opening video tonight but that stutter thing is happening again, I really need to clean up disk space before I try it again. So the plan now is to clean my disk tonight, defragment it while I sleep/am at work tomorrow, and cut a video tomorrow after work.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Awesome! Sounds good.

Also, I thought about it and maybe we want to make everything ALL CAPS in the manga cutscenes? That's what all English-language comics do including manga, and it makes sense because there are some places where I have no idea how capitalization should work, like a new bubble from the same sentence. Anyway I'm curious if it looks better or worse, I'll write a test script for one scene. For the normal convo scenes I think we can leave it as is.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

Ok so the video is uploading, as I type, I will be editing the first post to include this video, I made a few minor edits but it is essentially the first 20-30 minutes of the game cut into 15 minutes... the You Tube single video limit. I cut out a few of the battles, had to leave one in there or else one of Kites lines would make no sense.

While waiting for an encode to happen, I browsed over to the beyondfragment.net, the french .hack forum, I just am going to say "bonjour, merci pour suivre ce projet", my French is rusty so I hoped to say "hello, thanks for following this project".

I also noticed that one of the questions on the French forum was about the source of my name here, I have a thing for obscure characters in games, so of course I could think of a no more obscure name than the name of Pai's brother. Silly me, so right now I am thinking of things to type to pass the time while the YouTube video uploads.

Kuukai, you just blew my mind I didn't realize that comics used all upper case, I have been reading them for most of my life and I have not realized it.

I agree they might look nicer, because the font they use are a sort of block font so things like lower case y don't hang below the line, but there are no over hangs with upper-case characters so I am sure it would look nicer, don't worry about typing out a scene in upper case, notepad++ has functions built in to convert selected text to upper case, no need to waste time on it I will do that before I copy and paste it into the binary file. I will post some screen shots of an all upper case version, no need to cut a video for that right?

This also marks a milestone, we have all the scenes in one block done, so Kuukai I will need more source material now.

So remember the video should go live in an hour. Thanks for following.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Awesome! Since we still don't have hosting I'm going to PM you some material. I was hoping to just share the file and send line numbers, but this works. Since Acen is in a month we're going to need to jump around, but I'm very happy we got the beginning done as a contiguous block.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

Video is now posted and added to the first post.

I don't mind giving you my e-mail if you are Ok sending the files that way. I don't think d5t would be open to us using his web space to pass around these files even if it is just between us but I could be wrong.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Yeah, let's use email, it would be faster.

EDIT: Ok, scripts sent. I know it's pretty messy, I'll try to be more formulaic about the order I go in from now on, and after thinking about it for a second I figured out where line breaks are supposed to be. But hopefully having it split up to begin with will make this process that much more efficient. I'll check back tomorrow morning but hopefully that's usable...
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Post by Erroneous »

Kuukai wrote:Awesome! Since we still don't have hosting I'm going to PM you some material.

There's always Dropbox, MediaShare, MediaFire, and all the other free public/private file sharing webspaces. I use my free Dropbox 2 GB space all the time to ensure I always have my files wherever I go.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

JunBansyoya wrote:While waiting for an encode to happen, I browsed over to the beyondfragment.net, the french .hack forum, I just am going to say "bonjour, merci pour suivre ce projet", my French is rusty so I hoped to say "hello, thanks for following this project".
Bonjour~
Yeah, french people are following this project with a lot of attention. This is really awesone. I can tell you you are like saviors for a lot of us, lol.
We can't help you, but you have our encouragement and support. Thanks a lot for your project guys!
Shin Amakiir

Post by Shin Amakiir »

JunBansyoya wrote:I have also received a few offers to help, they are appreciated, people truly interested are you interested in the actual translation or the part of changing the files. I would like to remain the only one changing the source files at the moment as it is messy job and would wish it upon any one, also I feel it might be hard to organize many people to do that. If it gets overwhelming I will seek out volunteers then.
Geez this got busy while I wasn't here. Excellent progress! :3
I'd love to help, but I don't know enough Japanese (Kanji is especially derpy) to be of any assistance with translation. I could help with changing the code though, but it'd mostly be once you're 100% on it and just need it done as quick as possible.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

Kuukai, you are a saint for sifting through that sc file, It is just plain ugly, I will send you a new one tonight. I just rewrote one of my tools to make it easier to modify the sc files. I can use it to make an easier to read file for you.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

It's cool our English translation is even popular in France! ^^

Jun Bansyoya is actually in Link, I'm sure we'll get to that sooner or later.

Holy crap, that's unbelievably easier to use, thanks! Let me know how it goes with what I gave you. I'll try to patch up the holes, finish out the main cm's, and figure out what chapters everything corresponds to.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

So our focus is on the CM's right now, I will get those done as soon as I can, there was one line in the SC's that looked weird under sc "m0905080" the first 2 lines don't appear in the Japanese for that, are they carry over from a previous scene that runs together with that one?

Cool is he visible in LINK or is it more of just a reference to him?

I can try to do something better with cm file to, there is a lot of cruft in there that you don't need to deal with and now that I know the format exactly I can break it down into lines like the new SC one.

Also I don't know if you noticed this in the video, I change the color of the text to contrast the background when the text box was too small, do you think this is a good thing to do for now?

I guess you could say we are...
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Nice catch! Yeah, that was something I wrote before I had this file. But the bizarre thing is it's right... for m0906330.ccs. But m0905080.ccs appears to be, I dunno, an alternate, unused version of the same scene? Skimming it, it looks like the only difference is the omission of those two lines and the first thing Fluegel says (in that version it's "You're here? That makes everyone.") I guess that's something I need to be careful about. Fun.

Like every cameo in Link he gets a speaking part, but considering that's all he was before I guess it's not a major triumph. His story from G.U.+ is incorporated and like in the manga you see his silhouette:

He's also mentioned (and possibly has his face shown) in Quantum.

Yeah, can you please do that? I know there's not as much to it but I'd be able to work faster with it I think.

Yeah, I did notice, and I think it worked pretty well

Also, I was thinking we might win some space if we drop 『』s. Do the games normally use these? I was actually thinking about dropping quotes from like 90% of the places where they are, because they don't look as natural in English. Obviously we're still in the revision stage, but it's something to keep in mind when you need to squeeze text into a bubble.

Lol @ Weird Al reference.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

Funny about the double scene, I wonder is there way to replay the scene with the alternate configuration, Is that scene with the extra lines shown when certain members in your party? Maybe as an easter egg but pointless?

The angle brackets『』 in my mind are a part of the name of 『The World』, sure it stems for the Japanese use of quotes but all official translations of the dot hack games have maintained these symbols for key story elements or at least in reference to 『The World』. I would like to keep them in if at all possible. They are 2 fixed with characters, I don't think dropping them will save as much space as some of the scenes might need.

Awesome, thanks for my new avatar pic haha.

I wont be able to get that new cm to you as fast as the sc file, the sc was just a giant regex call "s/#(TXT_)?[0-9]+#-?[0-9]+#-?[0-9]+#/\n\n/r" I will need to actually re-parse the file in order to get it nice and pretty. So lets say tomorrow night.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Yeah we might as well do both, there's no comment for it like there was for the deleted Aura scene. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get to this scene without unlocking Kite, Tsukasa, and Tabby, and it looks like they all have lines still anyway, but might as well be safe. That's what the official translations do with unused content. Do you want me to type it up or is my explanation good enough?

Oh, ok. Yeah, I've only played the Japanese versions so I don't know the conventions of the English version too well. I felt like I'd seen that before, though. If that's how it normally is we can keep it, then. There are only a few places where I want to defy the game's conventions (since this is a fan translation I'm going to include -chan and -sama, dammit, at least for now).

Ok, sounds good.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

I have no problems with using the -chan -sama and anything else which fan translations generally include I do watch a lot of fan subs and I feel they do add something which cannot be properly conveyed in English, language such as dammit I am also OK with leaving in if you feel it is the best translation for what they are trying to convey (no ESRB here haha).

We just hit 140 view in 24 hours, I consider this a success of that video considering the first shaky cam video got 1000 views in the 2+ months of it being online. Although the 1 thumbs down kinda makes me sad. Also I was looking at the insight data for the video. Hello to the five people in Russia following this to. I really don't mean to call any group of people out over another but sometimes it is interesting to see where people are watching from, especially since this is an English translation. Once we get this all said and done, I would be happy to hand over my tools to someone else who wants to translate this to their own language, but that wont be till after our patch is done please don't contact me about that yet.

Well that is all I am going to say today, goodnight.