.hack//Link US Campaign - Help Us Organize!

d5t

Re: .hack//Link US Campaign - Help Us Organize!

Post by d5t »

Bryce wrote:
Kaori wrote:What if we go on a hunger strike? That usually gets peoples attention, or maybe we can all pool in money to send one member to japan to cyberconnect?
Ok, you are doing the hunger strike, I'm going to Japan with your money, thanks a lot ! :D
No ? Ok...

Seriously, about CyberConnect2 and Japan, is there someone here who speaks Japanese ? CyberConnect2 have to be aware about our action, and it would be nice to send them a mail... We can try with their english mail, but I think we have more chance to catch their attention in Japanese.
I've added a Twitter campaign to message Matsuyama - he's become quite the Twitter user and it seems like he would notice.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Okay what if we can use the numbers on their games? You know the ones they put in the instruction manuals? In order to call them?
k-su

Post by k-su »

Hey guys, this my contribution for the week. I'll see if I can do more while I have free time this weekend. I gotta do more avatars, but it can be a bit more tricky since there's less space to work with. Anyways, can't wait for Pluto's Kiss to kick off!

Edit: Made a matching avis for the sig. 100x100. Also added another sig.

Image Image Image Image
Last edited by k-su on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arrow Alpha

Post by Arrow Alpha »

Why not taking advantage of the upcoming countdown? Realising that pluto's kiss' date is the date for revealing the full contents of the campaing, a countdown could be shown as we typeread with the following message:

XX days and
XX:XX:XX seconds (hours, minutes, seconds)
for Pluto's Kiss.

I'm sure this could be easily done in a flash animation if one was to know how, or if not instead, printing the remaining time as a PHP script (which could eventually lead to a massive ammount of visits and successive databandwith drain).

Additionally, we could just share a text similar to the one showcased earlier on social networks, aiming it to look like a virus (but we know it isn't). The most curious minds will browse the terms Pluto's kiss, eventually leading to finding information about what hack is, and subsecuente curiosity.

In the worst (and best!) of the cases, the site would be bring to main media, eventually calling the need for the localisation.
k-su

Post by k-su »

I really like your idea, Arrow Alpha. I'd have done the Flash countdown if I had had time and wasn't so rusty, but I haven't worked with it in over a year and a half. Anybody else have any experience with that kind of stuff?
hidora

Post by hidora »

Arrow Alpha wrote:Why not taking advantage of the upcoming countdown? Realising that pluto's kiss' date is the date for revealing the full contents of the campaing, a countdown could be shown as we typeread with the following message:

XX days and
for Pluto's Kiss.

I'm sure this could be easily done in a flash animation if one was to know how, or if not instead, printing the remaining time as a PHP script (which could eventually lead to a massive ammount of visits and successive databandwith drain).

Additionally, we could just share a text similar to the one showcased earlier on social networks, aiming it to look like a virus (but we know it isn't). The most curious minds will browse the terms Pluto's kiss, eventually leading to finding information about what hack is, and subsecuente curiosity.

In the worst (and best!) of the cases, the site would be bring to main media, eventually calling the need for the localisation.
Wow, that's one hell of an awesome idea o.o
Vicious

Post by Vicious »

d5t wrote:take a pic of their .hack collection and snail mail it to Namco Bandai. What do ya think?
I like this idea. Maybe each person can write on the picture something to the effect of "What's missing here?" with an obvious open slot after GU vol3. I have no doubt fans of the .hack fanbase have a collection just as big and probably bigger than my own (BIG).

I could even see these pictures being used virally to promote the campaign as well.

I think this idea has a lot of potential.
CrestAkray

Post by CrestAkray »

Arrow Alpha wrote:Realising that pluto's kiss' date is the date for revealing the full contents of the campaing, a countdown could be shown as we typeread with the following message:

XX days and
for Pluto's Kiss.

I'm sure this could be easily done in a flash animation if one was to know how,
I may not know how to use flash animation...but i can learn how to as quickly as possible. I want to be useful somehow...but until i learn how to, don't put your trust in me...I will try my hardest to ensure it works by the 8th, if possible.
d5t

Post by d5t »

Arrow Alpha wrote:Why not taking advantage of the upcoming countdown? Realising that pluto's kiss' date is the date for revealing the full contents of the campaing, a countdown could be shown as we typeread with the following message:

XX days and
for Pluto's Kiss.

The countdown is totally do-able by a simple PHP script. I'm a little confused on your other suggestion. Text of the countdown numbers looks like corrupted data?

What would help me out a lot is if someone can round up all the contact info/URLs for major video game sites - RPG specific and Joystiq, Kotaku, etc, so I can send out a e-mail in hopes of getting a little press.
CrestAkray

Post by CrestAkray »

Hey! I am almost done with the countdown! I think! I got the timer all set up...im just trying to figure out how to make it to December 25th...i'll get it eventually though! (I hope o_o)

---------------
Oh yeah, after I originally posted this, I completed the countdown timer! With a few problems...(such as, my computer refuses to open it to see if it is correct) and It isn't purty...but I think I did good for knowing nothing about flash Anims 5 hours ago =D
Arrow Alpha

Post by Arrow Alpha »

CrestAkray wrote:Hey! I am almost done with the countdown! I think! I got the timer all set up...im just trying to figure out how to make it to December 25th...i'll get it eventually though! (I hope o_o)

---------------
Oh yeah, after I originally posted this, I completed the countdown timer! With a few problems...(such as, my computer refuses to open it to see if it is correct) and It isn't purty...but I think I did good for knowing nothing about flash Anims 5 hours ago =D

Congratulations.
d5t wrote:The countdown is totally do-able by a simple PHP script. I'm a little confused on your other suggestion. Text of the countdown numbers looks like corrupted data?

What would help me out a lot is if someone can round up all the contact info/URLs for major video game sites - RPG specific and Joystiq, Kotaku, etc, so I can send out a e-mail in hopes of getting a little press.
You know how those MSN spam viruses work, right? An user texts a pinging person a text with doubtious info and then a link containing a little script that will execute and bypass the system's security to attach a program that will do the same. if we were able to replicate this happening, expectation would arise.

And now that I think about it, Kotaku might be the best weapon so far for getting the main interest of people. You know how there's a comment even on the stupidest thing; but how do we reach such a weapon is the most important fact. In fact, if the people at Kotaku are too serious, they might refuse by not getting anything as reward; if they're too careless, they could refuse by not caring per-se. In the other hand, they could be a handfull of trolls that would love the idea. Alternatively, it would be possible to send an email only saying "XX days until Pluto's Kiss" and a consecuent link (simulating the virus idea). If we get lucky enough, this is the best idea - but it is the least probable.

By the way, through a quick search, I found these emails after realising kotaku's just a part of a bunch of blogs.
http://advertising.gawker.com/contact/
Being not happy enough, I look up again around Kotaku's page, and for each reviewer there is an email. Just wonder, what do you mean by round up? Getting the emails or actually getting these guys know what we pretend to do?
AILiSeki

Post by AILiSeki »

Hello

I'm new here. I really want to help in the campaign, so I made it:
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9355/semttulo3va.gif

I know that you have many images, but it's the only thing I can do for help... I hope you like it!!!
CrestAkray

Post by CrestAkray »

Ok people...for now, forget that I was working on this...I fixed all the problems so that I could test it to see if worked...and it didn't. I've been up since 9pm yesterday (its 11am now) trying several different methods, all of them exactly how they should be, and they don't work. I will still attempt to crack this shell, but...im not good at Flash Animation.

Also: I don't know if people know about this, but at the end of .hack//link, the manga, volume 2, it speaks in plain english about the devolpment of .hack//link for the psp...though it may have just been from the translation. Also, I can't remember where, but i think i saw the english voice actor for Haseo in .hack//link...though it may have been for that awkward anime type thing.

So...yeah...just thought I would let everyone know what I know. Even if it is wrong. My apoligies in advance. =)
d5t

Post by d5t »

Arrow Alpha wrote:
CrestAkray wrote:Hey! I am almost done with the countdown! I think! I got the timer all set up...im just trying to figure out how to make it to December 25th...i'll get it eventually though! (I hope o_o)

---------------

Congratulations.
d5t wrote:The countdown is totally do-able by a simple PHP script. I'm a little confused on your other suggestion. Text of the countdown numbers looks like corrupted data?

You know how those MSN spam viruses work, right? An user texts a pinging person a text with doubtious info and then a link containing a little script that will execute and bypass the system's security to attach a program that will do the same. if we were able to replicate this happening, expectation would arise.

And now that I think about it, Kotaku might be the best weapon so far for getting the main interest of people. You know how there's a comment even on the stupidest thing; but how do we reach such a weapon is the most important fact. In fact, if the people at Kotaku are too serious, they might refuse by not getting anything as reward; if they're too careless, they could refuse by not caring per-se. In the other hand, they could be a handfull of trolls that would love the idea. Alternatively, it would be possible to send an email only saying "XX days until Pluto's Kiss" and a consecuent link (simulating the virus idea). If we get lucky enough, this is the best idea - but it is the least probable.

By the way, through a quick search, I found these emails after realising kotaku's just a part of a bunch of blogs.
http://advertising.gawker.com/contact/
Being not happy enough, I look up again around Kotaku's page, and for each reviewer there is an email. Just wonder, what do you mean by round up? Getting the emails or actually getting these guys know what we pretend to do?
OK I sort of understand that now - I don't think it's feasible to do however.

Round up website e-mail addresses and contact pages, simple as that - not specific authors unless they are necessary. Seems like I'm going to be the one who rounds them all up, but any help would be appreciated.
LoneFalcon001

Post by LoneFalcon001 »

I'm thinking we should take a page from who are quite possibly the most famously ignored fan group in games, The Starmen.net EarthBound fans. Their efforts got Reggie (The President of Nintendo of America for those who didn't know) talking about Mother 3, and for a while he couldn't get through an interview without Mother 3 being mentioned.

It may even be worth talking to them for help or advice since through Fangamer, the community has grown past just EarthBound and started including some small, obscure games just like .hack.
d5t

Post by d5t »

LoneFalcon001 wrote:I'm thinking we should take a page from who are quite possibly the most famously ignored fan group in games, The Starmen.net EarthBound fans. Their efforts got Reggie (The President of Nintendo of America for those who didn't know) talking about Mother 3, and for a while he couldn't get through an interview without Mother 3 being mentioned.

It may even be worth talking to them for help or advice since through Fangamer, the community has grown past just EarthBound and started including some small, obscure games just like .hack.
Can you link me to their site - I see multiple fan gamer websites when I Googled it.
Arrow Alpha

Post by Arrow Alpha »

The sudden hour and day change strikes for a inminent impact in the possibility of a countdown.

Reference to the virus kiss can be changed for "...until The World Shutdown" to bypass the problem.

Random suggestion ftw.
shugo_lover
The Oath Keeper
The Oath Keeper

Post by shugo_lover »

You would be surprised at how many .hack// fans there are on Gaia.
Rozalin

Post by Rozalin »

This kind of reminds me of the last resort get to tougher fells like ages since I've last come here I can help to I guess I do have a face book that I do neglect but I would like to wonder how the English game would sound like for now we'll never know
d5t

Post by d5t »

crimsonxking wrote:Huh? Did I miss something? Did Namco Bandai say they didn't intend to localize this or something? I know it's been 9 months since the game was released in Japan but a lot of games take a lot longer than that. The last GU game took about 13 months to come over here, didn't it? Considering this is a less stunning PSP game compared to an entry in an ongoing PS2 series entry, I expected from the beginning for it to take even longer than that to come here. I don't really see the point in worry about this yet unless they said they have no intention to do it.

We have gotten all the previous games, all the anime, and most of the novels/manga. I'd say the odds of us eventually getting LINK are too good to try and organize a serious petition about it. Wait at least a year, realistically more, before bugging the company like that. Again, unless they said they don't intend to do it. If they haven't, I don't see how just an email asking about it's status aren't good enough.
The last volume of //G.U. took about 9 months. In fact, all previous .hack games would have been localized and released by now in the United States. Namco Bandai as a company has been through some massive layoffs and restructuring - it is rumored that they have gotten out of the JRPG localization business - just ask the "Tales of" fans, it's the harsh truth for them. So this is why we can't just stand around and hope it comes out a "year or two" down the road, because all of the fan momentum will be gone - this site included. Aside from the games, Namco Bandai has nothing to do with the manga and anime parts of the .hack franchise, so they are kind of standalone.

So yeah you are missing some vital info there. The other issue is they haven't said a thing, and they will remain silent until we make a little noise. E-mailing support@namcobandaigames.com individually will not do anything because there's a canned script their support people use - it gets you absolutely nowhere.

We are not just e-mailing them, there is a whole campaign being finalized (skim this thread and our Facebook fanpage) that goes a bit beyond that, even hinting at other companies to grab the .hack//Link PSP license.