My Crackpot Theory to Try and Make //Link Not Suck

AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

My Crackpot Theory to Try and Make //Link Not Suck

Post by AuraTwilight »

Spoilers way the hell up in this ****, obviously. No complaining.

~~~~~~~~
So the returning characters are memory constructs, obv.

Not only is Geist an AI copy of Jyotaro, but the rest of Schiksal are personality splits that don't realize it. Parts of himself he cast off so he can be UBAR VILLAINU (compare/contrast Naraku of Inuyasha and Father of FMA).

Tokio is a trojan horse AI with false memories. Truth is he always had the virus in him, but he needed a few years to develop in a private server before he could be dispatched.

AIKA is exactly what she claims she is, but Saika is not Jyotaro's sister. She is, in actuality, a split personality of AIKA that believes she is, constructed in order to give her reason to enter Tokio's world and unlock him. AIKA's motive is love, but Geist only allowed her to get close to Tokio if she followed his plans, so Saika was created as a sort of "sleeper agent" not realizing her own motives are made up. AIKA is also an AIDA that knows love in all it's forms, like Tri-Edge's hate and anger. She created Saika for the above reasons, but also out of jealousy for all the sibling bonds the AIDA have seen, such as Jun and Pi, Saku and Bo, etc.

Now, the events of the game happened merely because Tokio entered the game. The virus took hold and began doing these time travel ****. That's because it's not time travel, but the virus already working at hacking into Aura, and so we manifest her memories (see the memory-viewing aspect of Avatar Space in GU+ and the GU Novels).

The whole game was in Aura's core the whole time, but was a metaphorical, allegoral journey to the center of her heart. We saw her good times and bad times, and there were even attempts to twist and confuse them in order to break her down. Aura expresses her disdain for being a deity very early on in the game, and the virus is showing this in all it's myriad paths. Eventually the virus gets through, but hold on: Aspects of Cubia? That's not even congruous. But you know what is? ...remember what Cubia actually IS?

Right. He's the barrier of her heart, right? His job is to make sure people keep away from her. In short, he's everything Aura hates about her job. He keeps people from truly knowing her, he's the danger that makes people want to persecute and control her due to her risk, and he's the personification of the fact that things go to hell whenever she tries to help, even though she is very kind....

(I'm sure I can even **** some sexual symbolism from their placement to represent how she can't be with humans and blah blah, but it's really only supplemental.)

Anyway, that brings me to "Death Queen Aura." It's not Aura at all, or rather, it's not her true self. You guys've probably played Persona 4, right? You're familiar with the Shadow. The Shadow is that which the human mind represses, denies, or ignores about itself. We all have one, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. It's the part of us that wants to tell our boss to go f*ck himself, but we pretend we don't feel that way so as not to get fired.

This being is actually symbolic of Aura's inner despair and nihilism. Her rage at herself and the world outside for her lot in life and the **** she's been dealt, created by the destructive barrier around her. She's kind, so she would never do anything evil, but she's also a human with good and bad emotions, so in her low points, she may have these sorts of fantasies. The virus, then, wants her to embrace this side of her and give in to it.

But Tokio and his companions don't want this for Aura, and since they are effectively her dreams, they represent her hopes and the flickering light of her inner resolve. They begin to win over the nihilism, but it will never be defeated. Not really. And so AIKA makes her decision; Aura's given so much to everyone. She's been forced to live as a god with an infalliable spirit despite having a human heart, prone to weakness. She was forced to give, and give, and give, and no one ever gave back to her. Not in a way that was truly meaningful or selfless. But AIKA knows love. And she has hopes, and dreams, and fantasies she wants to pursue. and she'll give that all up for Aura, so that someone can say they've returned the favor.

She remains in Aura's heart, as a shining light of encouragement that there's great things about being alive, even if no one is on her side, and things seem dark as night. The Nihilism is defeated, and Aura returns to her rest, allowing all the AIs that fought for her to become real and exist, continuing the dream as a reward for defeating the virus.

...As for Kite-Sora, I'll get to her now.

She is a memory of something that has yet to come to pass. That is, she is a daydream.

A daydream of what? She's a dream of what Aura wants to be, if not forced to be a Goddess. The next story will have Sora innocently go on a quest to "revive" Aura, reliving Kite's adventure in a sense. But then she'll learn the truth: She is Aura, deliberately reincarnated so she can be like everyone else and live her own life. In that case, at the end of her story, she will reject the revival, defeat the Big Bad or whatever, and decide to continue living herself. Aura's suffered enough...let her rest in peace. And let us celebrate the splendor of the life of a human being, and the dignity of a mortal.

And as Kite!Sora walks to join her friends, she will be stepping into the dawn after her darkest hour, and she'll secure the unwritten ending of her Epitaph; of her story. The end of Aura's story, the beginning of her own. And thus the end of .hack.
Gemcrim
.hack//legendick
.hack//legendick

Re: My Crackpot Theory to Try and Make //Link Not Suck

Post by Gemcrim »

As I said earlier this makes me almost love Link in its current form. If only all this could be confirmed to have been intended and if so presented better.

I'm just anxious for .hack to be over at this point.

Anyway, great job.
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

If this was still R1, I would have hope for something like that. I'm not sure they care enough anymore. Or maybe they just lost their touch.

Also Kaoru needs to save Tokio from something somehow. Hopefully while ripping his clothes...

But is this theory the denial stage or the bargaining stage of grief?
Gemcrim
.hack//legendick
.hack//legendick

Post by Gemcrim »

With how you and others so fiercely defended Link just months ago (and some still do I suppose), I'd have thought you would all jump for joy at something that actually makes any sort of sense and is remotely interesting.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Tolby wrote:If this was still R1, I would have hope for something like that. I'm not sure they care enough anymore. Or maybe they just lost their touch.

Also Kaoru needs to save Tokio from something somehow. Hopefully while ripping his clothes...

But is this theory the denial stage or the bargaining stage of grief?
Note the word "Crackpot", as in "I know that it's not ACTUALLY the case, but Link is so f*cking awful and this alternative plot is so much better that why not adopt it?"
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Gemcrim wrote:With how you and others so fiercely defended Link just months ago (and some still do I suppose), I'd have thought you would all jump for joy at something that actually makes any sort of sense and is remotely interesting.
Do what now?

I fiercely defended it based on what we knew. People were overreacting. I mean you yourself just said if what AT typed up was true you would love it. Well months ago that was still a possibility. And as far as the rest of the non-story part of the game, I like it.

Inject AT's theory into the game and I'd probably try to marry it.
Gemcrim
.hack//legendick
.hack//legendick

Post by Gemcrim »

PLEASE!

Every manga for .hack was great, Link's wasn't, that was justification enough for our hatred and we were RIGHT for it as you see.

Further lots of you were jerking it to Xth forms. The moment that showed up and anyone defends it, I'm sorry, but you should have saw things coming.

Edit: I'll stop, don't wanna ruin this topic, but I said what I wanted <3
Last edited by Gemcrim on Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Gemcrim, knock it off. Tolby isn't defending Link right now. Not it's story, anyway, and I actually like Link's music and whatnot, so I have no problem with defending the non-plot bits. Don't turn my awesome sex party of a thread into a flaming sh*t fest.
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Gemcrim wrote:PLEASE!

Every manga for .hack was great, Link's wasn't, that was justification enough for our hatred and we were RIGHT for it as you see.

Further lots of you were jerking it to Xth forms. The moment that showed up and anyone defends it, I'm sorry, but you should have saw things coming.

I'm still jerking it to Xth forms. Have you seen Kite in his pimp hat and coat?
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Anyway, bringing this back on topic, Tolby: What are your actual thoughts on my storyline itself?
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I find it amusing how Tolby would be willing to marry LINK in all its glory if it had a similar story to the one proposed in the original post, yet he still thinks that G.U. is the worst travesty upon the existence of the entire universe and beyond.

But I am going to restrain further remark, for my opinion, as of now, stands opposite his. I'm only interested in LINK for what I can write of a semi-original story using its characters.

...And so as to not venture completely off-topic, the story is fine as it is. I, for one, am happy to be rid of AIKA, although Aura disappearing was unwanted. Then again, we have had many similarly unwanted occurrences in the past... such as Alkaid's entire existence past Volume 1.
Advent_Winter

Post by Advent_Winter »

This theory vaugely interests me to some extent. Although I really didn't care about the story in general, mainly because I can't understand a flick of Japanese. The winning point for //Link in my case was the gameplay. Now, where exactly would the original idea, or fact, of Cubia being Aura's Gaurd dog fall into place here?, because if I remember correctly, Cubia's suppose to come out if something in The World would pose as a threat to Aura, unless, Aura was never really in danger after all?
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

I'd still like to try to reserve judgement until .hack ends. Or at least until we are a little more sure about the game and the events surrounding it.

That and I'd like to play it in English to fully understand everything. Based on my playthrough the pacing and story seemed a little.. thin. You went back and talked to Mimiru about Tsukasa, Albireo about Lycoris and so on. I have to admit I enjoyed doing that at first, but when the game was over I felt a little robbed.

Do a storyline with minimal changes, fight a boss, rinse and repeat. Once you got passed all the past stories the game seemed to pick up pace way too fast and was over before I knew it.

It seemed like everything could have been told in a manga shorter than LoTT. Well, maybe not. I guess if you included all the interactions Tokio had with past members, but that was really only fanservice. The whole point of going back was just to recieve the PC data, as far as I could tell.

And actually even with your theory it would just change this game from bad fanservice to good fanservice. I would still rather have a whole new game. With other characters. I want character development. One of the reasons I looked forward to this so much was because I was under the impression I would get more character development from my favorite characters. It seemed Kite was the only character to really matter in the 2020 story up until end when they all joined forces for a few lines of dialogue each while each of the main characters showed up just because they were main characters. Honestly I would rather have Yata up there pouring his heart out over Aura than Tokio. Which was another thing that pissed me off. When you fight Aura there are flashbacks, which genuinely made me feel sad, but it was hard to do that while controlling Tokio. While Tokio was sitting there killing Aura. He had no right. It also kind of annoyed me how AIDA, something from R2, walked off into the sunset with little Aura like she was the Goddess and Aura was the new character. I think thats why I like your theory, because it honors Aura way more than this game seemed to. Though, like I said, I can't fully appreciate and understand it yet.

I've type a lot and erased a lot, its just kind of hard to arrange my thoughts correctly right now. If you want to ask about the story a little more specifically it might give me a foothold to answer more accurately.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Now, where exactly would the original idea, or fact, of Cubia being Aura's Gaurd dog fall into place here?, because if I remember correctly, Cubia's suppose to come out if something in The World would pose as a threat to Aura, unless, Aura was never really in danger after all?
Cubia the program is unchanged in his role, but the theory is addressing what Cubia means to Aura, and his emotional context to her heart. He's really pretty much the cause of all her non-Morganna related misery, if you think about it.

Cubia only awakens when there' a Key of the Twilight. The virus probably wouldn't count in this case, and even then it's only effecting Aura moreso than actually threatening herlife.
And actually even with your theory it would just change this game from bad fanservice to good fanservice. I would still rather have a whole new game. With other characters. I want character development.
Ditto, but what can I really do? "Actually, none of that **** happened, Tokio was doing totally different, more substantial events"? I was rectifying plot holes and **** up storyline themes more than anything.
Honestly I would rather have Yata up there pouring his heart out over Aura than Tokio. Which was another thing that pissed me off. When you fight Aura there are flashbacks, which genuinely made me feel sad, but it was hard to do that while controlling Tokio. While Tokio was sitting there killing Aura. He had no right. It also kind of annoyed me how AIDA, something from R2, walked off into the sunset with little Aura like she was the Goddess and Aura was the new character. I think thats why I like your theory, because it honors Aura way more than this game seemed to. Though, like I said, I can't fully appreciate and understand it yet.
I completely agree. This game basically shat all over Aura's face and mocked everything she frickin' stood for. It's a disgrace.

Though it's not AIKA's fault. I actually think she's a captivating and interesting character, and as an AIDA, she is a "god" comparable to Aura.
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

AT, since it's not fully explained, that basically leaves it open to speculation... and your idea has saved Link for me.

I mean seriously, that makes sense in a way that conveniently explains everything and does not contradict known canon. It makes far more sense when you compare the known canon timeline to Link, and of course the biggest flaw all of us had with it was "wtf how can this possibly be canon?" Well, yeah, I'll be thinking of this as the story from now on!
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Heh, thanks for the complements, Ranlyn.

Also: Since the new charactersare from outside Aura's "dream" all the differences in canon are caused by both the virus and the new cast being the equivalent of someone whispering things to you to change dreams.

Aura: zzzz....yes...oh god, Shugo, yes, I'll have anoth-
Jyotaro: penuspenuspenuspenuspenus
Aura: Unn...stoppit, stop RAPING MEEEE MOMMYYYY!
plesi42

Post by plesi42 »

Hello everybody.
I love .hack, and i've been lurking in this forum since the LINK demo came out, reading about this new game.
But now the Huge Amounts of Rage made me post.

At first I though it would be a silly fanservice game, not very interesting story-wise, but fun to play, as long as they didn't rape the old stories and characters..specially things about Kite, Aura, Haseo and Ovan, and the entire Harold, Morganna and the phases backstory.

When I learned about the "time travelling", I hoped the characters would be AI's or memories or something, and that Tokyo doesn't really change the things that happened before in The World.

I started to like LINK (specially the music, as AT said) and tolerate Tokyo...
but then I read the spoilers about the endgame.
AuraTwilight wrote: I completely agree. This game basically shat all over Aura's face and mocked everything she frickin' stood for. It's a disgrace.
THIS, TEN THOUSAND TIMES THIS.

I was a little annoyed at CC2 in G.U.:
-lol Aura is so powerful, we can't fit her in the story, but we can't remove her, so we just say she got bored and transcended the World.
Hmm.. ok.

But this..
-lol we can't still manage Aura.
-Hey guys, if this is the final game, we could make Aura the final boss, just throw in some data corruption or shitty virus or something!! They won't expect it!!
-Ow! Awesome! It's even deep and symbolic in some way!

Seriously.
I find the new bad guys very interesting and charismatic, and Saika too, with the whole AIDA thing. But this completely ruins LINK for me. It like there were two different stories prepared, the shitty, comercial one, and the deep, interesting one, and they got mixed somehow.

PD: Indeed it's very interesting to compare the Persona games and the .hack games.
In G.U. AIDA amplified the emotions of the players, being like a catalyst to stimulate their Persona/Avatars/Shadows
This is very interesting regarding Haseo and Skeith, specially after the activation of the Rebirth. In the Xth form scene, Haseo, after reaching the truth and his objective, and with the things he learned about while playing The World, finally sorts his life, and he's able to accept his PKK/psycho self (his shadow, in the form of Skeith).
Also, just look at Thanatos, the persona of the MC in Persona 3, and Skeith.. the Death arcana, the coffins in Thanatos and the swords in Skeith Xth form..

PD2(whishful thinking): I hope for the Sora being Aura reborn theory.
Another one: Zefie going in a quest with Sora to restore her mother, from the remaining data. The bad guys are from another company, who wants to take Aura data for their benefit. Includes meeting the Azure Knights again and Human Cubia, and fighting against Tokyo and some other LINK guys (as a misunderstanding, they think that they want to revive the Goddess of Death..) Also Morganna.
**** yeah!
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

I have no idea what happens to Aura at the end of the game, so I can't say if I like it better than what we wind up getting or not
Aura gets turned evil for no real reason (Jyotaro basically did it for fun) and she becomes a rape tentacle beast, saying the same phrases over and over mindlessly with a COCK GOES HERE face the whole time, destroying the game and digitizing people because comas aren't cool enough anymore. Then AIKA sacrifices herself to kill Aura and they just...die, basically.
I was a little annoyed at CC2 in G.U.:
-lol Aura is so powerful, we can't fit her in the story, but we can't remove her, so we just say she got bored and transcended the World.
Hmm.. ok.

But this..
-lol we can't still manage Aura.
-Hey guys, if this is the final game, we could make Aura the final boss, just throw in some data corruption or shitty virus or something!! They won't expect it!!
-Ow! Awesome! It's even deep and symbolic in some way!
Yea, that's tremendously annoying. If they HAD to have her be a boss, couldn't they have, like, Haseo needing to pass some test in order to get the ending, whatever the plot change would have to be for this to happen. Random possibility: AIKA is dangerous, and Aura has her fight as her knight, to prove that she's worthy of existing under Tokio's gaze. "Can you fight off God itself to protect her?" Cue Aura floating around all holy, flinging down spells and being a benevolent being in a friendly, but serious, spar.
PD2(whishful thinking): I hope for the Sora being Aura reborn theory.
Another one: Zefie going in a quest with Sora to restore her mother, from the remaining data. The bad guys are from another company, who wants to take Aura data for their benefit. Includes meeting the Azure Knights again and Human Cubia, and fighting against Tokyo and some other LINK guys (as a misunderstanding, they think that they want to revive the Goddess of Death..) Also Morganna.
**** yeah!
I really don't think so, with the Azure Knights, Human Cubia, and Morganna, and Zefie. Morganna needs to stay dead, Human Cubia can't technically exist.

And I imagine Zefie's involvement would kind of morally pressure Kite-Sora into being Aura again. OOH! Actually, what if that were the case? Zefie's returned as an Aura-like adult, not giving her name but clearly not Aura (and we don't think it's Zefie), and she is willing to do anything to have her mother back.

End of the game, Kite-Sora rejects her past to live as herself, and a heartbroken Zefie goes, "No...noo...YOU WON'T LEAVE ME BEHIND!" Cue Zefie going into battle mode with the Azure Knights, willing to kill Sora so they can bring back her "true self."
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

uh...wow....I guess I shouldn't have read this while doing a report of the Victorian Era at the same time....

Anyway, part of it seems to flow, part it just makes me think "WTF" BUT you did say it was Crack-pot so meh.

I would've gone with Jyotaro Amagi was in the same comatose state as Tsukasa was due tot he RA Incident, with Tokio an AI as well. The rest are AIs as well, but WAY more intelligent then any other AI we've seen in the past to the point where 9/10 times it would seem they're actually PCs, and the only PC would be the 8 individuals involved in the RA failure ( like you've mentioned before) from their comas and having witnessed everything that has happened in GU; plus gaining a whole bunch of information that not even Yata nor Zelkova knew about: Akashic Records and Chrono Cores, wanting to take the Chrono Cores from the AIs sans Tokio, to become Gods of The World and usurp Aura. Little did they know that Human Cubia was there to protect Aura. But this time Human Cubia was actually canon to .Hack and he does have a Human form and is able to transform into the big monster whenever necessary, unforunately we only see him in this form b/c in terms of the presence of a Key of the Twilight, its an involuntary transformation. But with Tokio wanting to be a Hero, and the rest of the AI learning of what Schicksal was trying to do, they were going to do all they can to protect Aura, whom they called their mother ( Like I said they were smarter than most AI we've seen in the past and they actually KNOW that their AIs and that they came from The World regurgitating the memorable data of them back into the playing world and since Aura is the God of The World and the whole internet, they just use A+B=C).

Anyway near the end, Schicksal believes they are getting closed to destroying Aura, but something goes wrong. All the messing around that Schicksal did in the past memory events in the Akashic Records caused them to enter a paradox ( Silent hill style) where the Aura is evil, the so-called "Death God Aura". Schicksal then get the idea to try and take advantage of this and try to use this Aura as sort-of their "weapon" to over not just The World, but the entire internet now. So they proceed by trying to "fuse" with the Death God, but instead they just get swallowed up, their PCs are completely destroyed and the players on the outside don't go comatose though, the cataclysmic event causes so much seizure, shock and trauma to Schicksal's bodies in the real world that they just end of dead.

So now, Death God Aura is pulling a pseudo-apocalypse and goes berserk uncontrollably, causing the internet to breakdown. So now all the AIs lead by Tokio ( now has the Xth Form at this point, just Tokio and Haseo), are on a very short time clock, realizing that the destruction of the internet means their deaths too ( which they REALLY dun want for some reason). And so they pretty much destroyed the Death God along with the whole paradox and return to their time. And life goes back to normal, destroying the Akashic Records so now only Aura remembers the past events ( and the AIs of course since they sort-of are the memories), preventing what Schicksal did to ever happen again.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Anyway, part of it seems to flow, part it just makes me think "WTF" BUT you did say it was Crack-pot so meh.
I'm not angry or anything, but can you elaborate on what's all "WTF"?
I would've gone with Jyotaro Amagi was in the same comatose state as Tsukasa was due tot he RA Incident, with Tokio an AI as well. The rest are AIs as well, but WAY more intelligent then any other AI we've seen in the past to the point where 9/10 times it would seem they're actually PCs, and the only PC would be the 8 individuals involved in the RA failure ( like you've mentioned before) from their comas and having witnessed everything that has happened in GU; plus gaining a whole bunch of information that not even Yata nor Zelkova knew about: Akashic Records and Chrono Cores, wanting to take the Chrono Cores from the AIs sans Tokio, to become Gods of The World and usurp Aura. Little did they know that Human Cubia was there to protect Aura. But this time Human Cubia was actually canon to .Hack and he does have a Human form and is able to transform into the big monster whenever necessary, unforunately we only see him in this form b/c in terms of the presence of a Key of the Twilight, its an involuntary transformation. But with Tokio wanting to be a Hero, and the rest of the AI learning of what Schicksal was trying to do, they were going to do all they can to protect Aura, whom they called their mother ( Like I said they were smarter than most AI we've seen in the past and they actually KNOW that their AIs and that they came from The World regurgitating the memorable data of them back into the playing world and since Aura is the God of The World and the whole internet, they just use A+B=C).
Yea, see, this is outright fanfiction, since this would require changing in-game dialogue, scenes, etcetera. All my theory requires is that characters are deluded, outright lying, or etcetera, without needing to actually alter the script.
Anyway near the end, Schicksal believes they are getting closed to destroying Aura, but something goes wrong. All the messing around that Schicksal did in the past memory events in the Akashic Records caused them to enter a paradox ( Silent hill style) where the Aura is evil, the so-called "Death God Aura". Schicksal then get the idea to try and take advantage of this and try to use this Aura as sort-of their "weapon" to over not just The World, but the entire internet now. So they proceed by trying to "fuse" with the Death God, but instead they just get swallowed up, their PCs are completely destroyed and the players on the outside don't go comatose though, the cataclysmic event causes so much seizure, shock and trauma to Schicksal's bodies in the real world that they just end of dead.
Yea, see, absolutely nothing like this happens in the game. This is an alternate explanation of the events that DID happen, not a rewrite of the narrative.