Am I the only one who hates the new art style?

GyppyGirl2021

Re: Am I the only one who hates the new art style?

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

...okay, I apologize to fans of the art style, but that belongs on a demotivator :lol:
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

No, in fact most anime and jrpg sheep find it unappealing.

Orca from behind looks a little weird.
Blackrose seemed weird and out of place
That picture you posted was really ugly and rape facey.

Other than those three instances I absolutely loved every second of the opening. Especially the ending fight. Fluegel's face and expression was perfect. Pi's fight was awesome, Mimiru's hoping around was awesome.

Alkaid looked awesome. Everything else looked awesome.

A couple of shots of eyes looked a little weird, but still looked great overall. Haseo Sora + Alkaid is awesome.

Summary: Awesome. Go watch Haruhi if you want normal anime style.
Kouen
The Crimson Dusk
The Crimson Dusk

Post by Kouen »

This only applies for the opening. Don't know why they chose to do that but the rest of the game is normal, as well as other animated scenes near the end.
Gemcrim
.hack//legendick
.hack//legendick

Post by Gemcrim »

While I don't like the intro (not so much for looking different than it is for looking stupid, animation is good, I just don't like the fact everyone has the eyes of a creepy doll that you may see in your house at night in the hallway and when you wake up the next morning it's staring you in the face and you die not moments later.) I'm not sure why this is being judged heavily over normal character art.
Tolby wrote:Summary: Awesome. Go watch Haruhi if you want normal anime style.
Sorry, but if I'm going to watch something overrated by creepily obsessed fans I'm going for Hokuto no Ken... at least there's some semblance of facial structure even if the plot is **** ACTION MUSCLE MEN FIGHTING RAAAWWWR.
d5t

Post by d5t »

It's being judged differently because Studio 4c has a distinct art style and people simply don't like change once past presidency sets in; this is a highly sough after studio - up there with Production I.G and others.
Advent_Winter

Post by Advent_Winter »

I don't really care about the looks of the characters in this particular art style. I'm more into the action and fight scenes, because these have been the most impressive .hack fight scenes I've ever witnessed that weren't CGI or computer generated.
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

The part with Alkaid flipping was neat (and I dislike Alkaid, so that means a lot coming from me) but some characters just don't work in that style. Haseo being one of them. Personally, I feel they should have gotten the animators for the Tales series to do the opening.
Juno

Post by Juno »

Yay~ A new anime art-style lesson for everyone~<3

You guys have never heard of "Superflat," I suppose?
It's a postmodern art style that is PURPOSELY ugly.
Well, Superflat does differ, since there is a somewhat wide range of ideas and features to classify it, but this particular style used in .hack//Link is meant to protest what has become known publicly as "moe."
In other words, the idea of Superflat is to:
1) Counter the stereotype that anime must be either "moe" or "shounen-ai" style.
2) Critically downgrade faces from being the main focus of the audience to simply fitting in normally with the rest of the scene.
3) Hide postmodern and controversial themes in the setting.
4) Bring out some particularly interesting character movement.

It's not a very well-known art style, but that's because it was only recently classified.
If you want to find more, look it up.
There's a really famous essay in the field that pinpoints the main purpose of Superflat much better than I ever could. ^^

And to me, it almost seems like they're saying, "See? .hack//Link isn't ALL moe."
And also, the hidden themes of postmodernism seem to really be intrusive by the beginning of the movie, as the characters are shown in a modern (Japanese) setting, before the world becomes broken down and chained.
It almost totally ignores the idea of an online game. ^^

Just thought it would be interesting to share the intent and background of the art-style used. ^^
Rozalin

Post by Rozalin »

At the beginning I hated it but I've grown use to it just a little I'm in no mood to complain about the cheap style artwork but on the Other Hand I do love the opening music.
Heighth

Post by Heighth »

Juno wrote:Yay~ A new anime art-style lesson for everyone~<3

You guys have never heard of "Superflat," I suppose?
It's a postmodern art style that is PURPOSELY ugly.
Well, Superflat does differ, since there is a somewhat wide range of ideas and features to classify it, but this particular style used in .hack//Link is meant to protest what has become known publicly as "moe."
In other words, the idea of Superflat is to:
1) Counter the stereotype that anime must be either "moe" or "shounen-ai" style.
2) Critically downgrade faces from being the main focus of the audience to simply fitting in normally with the rest of the scene.
3) Hide postmodern and controversial themes in the setting.
4) Bring out some particularly interesting character movement.

It's not a very well-known art style, but that's because it was only recently classified.
If you want to find more, look it up.
There's a really famous essay in the field that pinpoints the main purpose of Superflat much better than I ever could. ^^

And to me, it almost seems like they're saying, "See? .hack//Link isn't ALL moe."
And also, the hidden themes of postmodernism seem to really be intrusive by the beginning of the movie, as the characters are shown in a modern (Japanese) setting, before the world becomes broken down and chained.
It almost totally ignores the idea of an online game. ^^

Just thought it would be interesting to share the intent and background of the art-style used. ^^
IT HAS A NAME!?!?!?!?
Juno

Post by Juno »

Heighth wrote: IT HAS A NAME!?!?!?!?
Why, yes, it does. >.>;;;
*sigh*
I just thought it'd be good to say it before people started saying the style was a mistake on their part.
They animated with this style on purpose, so they made it ugly like that on purpose, too.
You gotta look past the surface to figure out what's beneath. >.>
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Now that you explain the reason behind the superflat art style, I can safely say that I love the new opening.
Gemcrim
.hack//legendick
.hack//legendick

Post by Gemcrim »

Just because a certain artstyle is used for animation doesn't necessarily mean I'm obligated to love it (seen the damn thing used before but forgot the name). It's like saying I MUST fap to any and all pieces of art, modern art in particular, just because it's "unique" or "meant to look a certain way" or whatever.

Can't really bash the main art... well I can but I don't have a desire to, what I can bash however is the intro and its use of superflat. Yes it's animated well, but I hate the artstyle for what it is, hideous.
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

I don't think anyone is saying that. The opening is repeatedly bashed, we are defending it. We aren't saying you have to like it, but know that it isn't lazy, ugly (as in bad art, you might think its unappealing, and thats just fine), a travesty, a terribly animated opening.

We want it to be known that its a certain style, it is well animated, and its overall a good opening. It might not fit your preference but it certainly isn't what everyone keeps claiming it is. (All the lazy, bad art comments mentioned earlier and others I didn't mention)

In other words, you don't have to like post modern art, but don't claim it isn't art.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I don't mind it since the art style is intended to be ugly and to make fun of "moe" art (which is pretty much what the rest of .hack//LINK is). In other words, they're going "Don't take this too seriously" XD
Gemcrim
.hack//legendick
.hack//legendick

Post by Gemcrim »

Tolby wrote:I don't think anyone is saying that.
Juno wrote:Why, yes, it does. >.>;;;
*sigh*
I just thought it'd be good to say it before people started saying the style was a mistake on their part.
They animated with this style on purpose, so they made it ugly like that on purpose, too.
I'm more or less forced to acknowledge the art style if I want to say my piece now apparently (regardless of being aware of the blasted thing. I'm tired of moe ****, but if I have to look at something like this you bet I'm going to defend moe, or better yet, pick something else that aims to realism), to "look past the surface" when all I see is **** smeared on a wall, and in doing so I will come to appreciate it. I don't.

I will say this is art, just not a kind I like. However, if one does not acknowledge it as such, because they see it as ugly they are apparently wrong in your eyes. And so you must enlighten them that it's on purpose, the fact remains it's still ugly, they may appreciate the effort upon recognizing it as art but not all will. It really shouldn't have to be brought up in the first place is what I'm getting at.

I understand you want people to acknowledge the art style, I just feel they shouldn't have to. They should be able to like or hate it regardless of knowing the name or process. Though not very comparable, and possibly not even valid it's like you're telling someone to appreciate a shitty game because of particular algorithms used in programming, or that they SHOULD be aware of it before making a judgment. Yes people become more informed, but you may as well ask them to be informed about each every single detail in the creation of something to alter how they feel about the end result. It would be nice, but they shouldn't HAVE to do it. Especially if it comes down to "do I think this is a pretty picture?"
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Gemcrim wrote:
Tolby wrote:I don't think anyone is saying that.
Juno wrote:Why, yes, it does. >.>;;;
*sigh*
I'm more or less forced to acknowledge the art style if I want to say my piece now apparently (regardless of being aware of the blasted thing), to "look past the surface" when all I see is **** smeared on a wall, and in doing so I will come to appreciate it. I don't.
Yes, you are. Because of what I said. About defending it and showing that is is an art style. Showing the art for what it is. You don't have to like it, thats is what I'm saying that no one is saying. However if you want your opinion to be taken seriously know what you are talking about. In our eyes you are going into the art museum and saying "All I see is lines and naked people, this is ****, wheres my deviantart japanimation!?"
I will say this is art, just not a kind I like. However, if one does not acknowledge it as such, because they see it as ugly they are apparently wrong in your eyes. And so you must enlighten them that it's on purpose, the fact remains it's still ugly, they may appreciate the effort upon recognizing it as art but not all will. It really shouldn't have to be brought up in the first place is what I'm getting at.
Yes, they are wrong. It is art. You don't have to like it, you can call it ugly, but it is art. Yes, enlightenment, so they can see what it really is. If they still don't like it, thats fine, but they should at least know what they are looking at.
I understand you want people to acknowledge the art style, I just feel they shouldn't have to. They should be able to like or hate it regardless of knowing he name or process. Though not very comparable, and possibly not even valid it's like you're telling someone to appreciate a shitty game because of particular algorithms used in programming, or that they SHOULD be aware of it before making a judgment. Yes people become more informed, but you may as well ask them to be informed about each every single detail in the creation of something to alter how they feel about the end result. It would be nice, but they shouldn't HAVE to do it. Especially if it comes down to "do I think this is a pretty picture?"
People can do what they want, but if they are walking around insulting well made art because they think it isn't well made then they should be corrected. Once again, its not about it actually being ugly as in unappealing.

Shitty game? See, thats exactly what I'm talking about. This art isn't a shitty game, it isn't shitty art. Its a well made game, well made art. It might not be your game genre, but it is a well made game. Its like PS3 fanboys saying every Nintendo game sucks and is for 2 year olds. They don't have to like Nintendo games but to say they are shitty games because there aren't people getting their heads blown off and it doesn't look like Halo or Gears graphics is retarded.

I'm not asking them to be well informed, I'm asking them not to be mindless morons. Don't just think its different and isn't shiny and standard and think its automatically bad. People were judging these opening when all we saw were a couple of screen flashes during the teaser trailers. People shouldn't have to look at art and judge it? They should just go around looking at "pretty pictures"?
Gemcrim
.hack//legendick
.hack//legendick

Post by Gemcrim »

Tolby wrote:Yes, you are. Because of what I said. About defending it and showing that is is an art style. Showing the art for what it is. You don't have to like it, thats is what I'm saying that no one is saying. However if you want your opinion to be taken seriously know what you are talking about. In our eyes you are going into the art museum and saying "All I see is lines and naked people, this is ****, wheres my deviantart japanimation!?"
While one should know what's going on with the art style, if they want to talk **** about it or praise it I'm not going to give them a damn history lecture to change their minds or even inform them, they can see it as they like even if it's something that irks me and they remain uneducated twits.
Yes, they are wrong. It is art. You don't have to like it, you can call it ugly, but it is art. Yes, enlightenment, so they can see what it really is. If they still don't like it, thats fine, but they should at least know what they are looking at.
Still don't agree but fair enough.
People can do what they want, but if they are walking around insulting well made art because they think it isn't well made then they should be corrected. Once again, its not about it actually being ugly as in unappealing.
Here I will say you are right for the most part. I won't debate "well made" art but I do find it a bit odd to say somehow.
Shitty game? See, thats exactly what I'm talking about. This art isn't a shitty game, it isn't shitty art. Its a well made game, well made art. It might not be your game genre, but it is a well made game. Its like PS3 fanboys saying every Nintendo game sucks and is for 2 year olds. They don't have to like Nintendo games but to say they are shitty games because there aren't people getting their heads blown off and it doesn't look like Halo or Gears graphics is retarded.
Gemcrim wrote:Though not very comparable, and possibly not even valid
... :v Glad to see this got any attention.

I wasn't even referring to Link as a game... like at all, the only thing I'm even referring to in Link was this intro. You are being ridiculously defensive about this game as a whole if you're going to even pull a reason out of the bloody air that I stated anywhere in THIS thread that it was a bad game (only thing I think is BAD about the game is the plot, otherwise I'd say it's pretty decent). I can understand why you'd think that, my general outlook on Link is "**** this" but I can look at what works and what doesn't, being a .hack fan who only ever gave a damn about the story I'm bitter to Link for what I feel is a generally weak plot (as stated earlier I can praise other aspects), as you are toward R2 for you own reasons.
I'm referring to a hypothetical bad game and to be honest I was thinking of some random **** on the Sega Saturn when I wrote that, and if you want an example, Burning Rangers (so what if it took advantage of the sound processors somehow along with the two CPUs? I DIDN'T FIND IT THAT FUN). But please, PLEASE, if you can find anywhere in my post here that I stated Link as a whole was a bad game INFORM ME. I'd like to know how my own supposed opinions pass me by.
I'm not asking them to be well informed, I'm asking them not to be mindless morons.
In one way I feel you are, in another I feel you're doing the right thing, I'm just going toward free choice, and the more selfish desire to say "I don't like this, now stop suppressing me from saying it's **** and setting up barriers for people who want to say the same."
Don't just think its different and isn't shiny and standard and think its automatically bad.
No, I think it's bad because I don't like it, just like you think it's good because you like it. Also, if I purely liked what was standard I'd sing praises of Haruhi and Elfen Lied across the land.
People were judging these opening when all we saw were a couple of screen flashes during the teaser trailers. People shouldn't have to look at art and judge it? They should just go around looking at "pretty pictures"?
Well I never said to shut your eyes to look at a picture as by whatever magic possesses you to believe this suggests to you. I say that if they're aware of the artstyle and hate it, fine. If they're unaware of the artstyle and also hate it, fine. Really if everyone that didn't know the art style loved it, would you be telling them "YOU MUST FIRST BE AWARE OF SUPERFLAT IF YOU WANT TO LIKE THIS **** BRO!"? And by "pretty pictures" I'm being subjective on what a person likes.

Edit: Seems I confused what style was used so I apologize for that. Though I will say Studio 4c was mentioned before as the people who made this, I know this much. In the end though Kuukai showed that both Juno and I were unaware of the actual art style (possibly others as well) fact remains we still hold our opinions regardless. And I will use this as grounds to continue to say the art style doesn't matter, you'll come to appreciate what you're looking at if you like it, otherwise you just won't.
Last edited by Gemcrim on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Advent_Winter

Post by Advent_Winter »

To make a very long, dragged out story short. The animation, regaurdless of how atrocious it may seem, is still art. Now, for it to be good art or bad art? That's left up to the person, but saying it "isn't" art in general, is terribly wrong. I'm not refering to anyone specific. I'm not trying to be all sarcastic with my points, typing in caps, and stuff like that. I'm just speaking on the more logical side. In fact, this argument cleary could have been avoided basically. So, here's the wrap up.

It IS art.

Good or bad? Your verdict.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Superflat is a guy trying to make money, it's not really talked about in Japan. This isn't that, though it's also very postmodern. It's pure organic, Studio 4℃-esque animation. I don't think it's supposed to be "ugly" so much as emotionally expressive, solid animation that differs wildly in construction and pose from mainstream anime, much like Sadamoto's 2000's work (FLCL and Diebuster). The point here is the warping of realism to add some charisma to the scene, kind of like the way Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck move and pose in totally unrealistic, but visually appealing, ways. It's something sorely lacking from most anime, not that I'm really complaining, but it's always nice to see something different. No, they don't look like they normally do, but looking at it from a different perspective they move and express much more fluidly than they would in a Bee Train opening. If you were to look at it based solely on that, it's suddenly the rest of .hack animation that's the "ugly" one. This is animation, why should everything be about the still image? It's not anti-moe, plenty of the characters actually look pretty good, it kinda depends on the angle and how they feel. AIKA looks perfect. Read John Kricfalusi's blog, he has loads to say about this sort of thing. He'd probably hate this opening actually, but that's more likely because he's incredibly biased against anime, or maybe because it's not quite surreal enough...

The subject matter really fits the abstract art style too. As Tokio walks around he sees line between virtual and real start to blur. Pi and Atoli are cosplayers in Akiba, Blackrose is on the track team, and (my personal favorite) the famous "Hachiko" statue in central Tokyo is covered in chains.... I think it's probably also symbolism for how the game is mobile, i myself ended up at all of these places after buying the game...