.hack//LINK to be the "final installment" of .hack

heeden

Re: .hack//LINK to be the "final installment" of .hack

Post by heeden »

hidora wrote:I wouldn't judge a book for its cover. I never expected much from Link, but I won't judge the game without playing.
Well, i based this on that pretty much 90% of all PSP games suck, if the game was on a different console i would probably pick it up. I mean the control scheme just wouldnt be what im so used to, and the graphics? >XP
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Well, i based this on that pretty much 90% of all PSP games suck,
Look at this comment again, and think about it. Hard.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Keyaki wrote:
Look at this comment again, and LOL at it. Hard.
Fixed.
hidora

Post by hidora »

heeden wrote:
hidora wrote:I wouldn't judge a book for its cover. I never expected much from Link, but I won't judge the game without playing.
Well, i based this on that pretty much 90% of all PSP games suck, if the game was on a different console i would probably pick it up. I mean the control scheme just wouldnt be what im so used to, and the graphics? >XP
Man, reading this was kinda depressing D:
TheSorrow wrote:
Keyaki wrote:
Fixed.
I LOL'd at that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

TheSorrow wrote:
Keyaki wrote:
Fixed.
Lol, Yea thx
Takai Tenshi

Post by Takai Tenshi »

well that freakin sucks.

newfags that want to see who would win kite or azure flame can go suck co<k.

I say that CC cant end the series with this psp game, although I will be one who buys it the very first day it is out.

unfortunately, having only read a little in the various mangas and only playing two games i cant call myself a die hard fan.
it will be disappointing to me that this may be the end
Takai Tenshi

Post by Takai Tenshi »

Kuukai wrote:
hidora wrote:If Fragment failed, why would a "fragment look-alike" not?
It didn't "fail." By pretty much every metric it succeeded, and even exceeded expectations. The "failed" thing is a myth. An online game still wouldn't be a very good way to end the series, though, or even a worthwhile installment... .hack looking like it should be an MMO is an illusion. "The World" would be about as fun to play as it would be to work on the farm in Harvest Moon...
disagreed. I say that if "The World" was done correctly, i mean the way it SHOULD have been done, it could have been pretty big. I happen to think it would be very fun to have events added all the time by CC and have the mailer. the problem is that, exceeding expectations or not, CC did a crap-ass job on the game.

I say that's why servers where shut down after a year
Mistral's_Man

Post by Mistral's_Man »

Takai Tenshi wrote:well that freakin sucks. I say that CC cant end the series with this psp game, although I will be one who buys it the very first day it is out.
It doesn't really matter what you say, kid. If they wanna end it, it's over.
They could simply feel that the series has run its course. Continuing to stretch it however, usually leads to bad results.
If anyone remembers the Arc the Lad series, and played End of Darkness, you know what I mean.

I'll be pretty upset if it is the end, but perhaps, (going out on a limb here) if it does end up being the final chapter, they'll put loads of hard work into and go out with a bang.

Either way, we'll all have to accept it.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Takai Tenshi wrote:
Kuukai wrote:
hidora wrote:If Fragment failed, why would a "fragment look-alike" not?
It didn't "fail." By pretty much every metric it succeeded, and even exceeded expectations. The "failed" thing is a myth. An online game still wouldn't be a very good way to end the series, though, or even a worthwhile installment... .hack looking like it should be an MMO is an illusion. "The World" would be about as fun to play as it would be to work on the farm in Harvest Moon...
disagreed. I say that if "The World" was done correctly, i mean the way it SHOULD have been done, it could have been pretty big. I happen to think it would be very fun to have events added all the time by CC and have the mailer. the problem is that, exceeding expectations or not, CC did a crap-ass job on the game.

I say that's why servers where shut down after a year
The World is a terrible MMO where most equipment doesn't change your PC, you have to explicitly save your progress, and players only have a tiny handful of abilities they can use at any given time. There are only 5 towns, and 99% of the game is the same randomly generated garbage over and over. In the story, CyberConnect's quests don't appear to be that common, with pretty much only one going on at any given time... (As a sidenote, fragment had both limited-time quests and a mailer.)

It's great as a vehicle for a narrative like SIGN, but actual players aren't that big on staring into the sunset and discussing existentialism. It's also great as a setting for a single-player RPG, but it's not something I'd want to play for years like an MMO.

You could make a different game, but it wouldn't be The World from the story of .hack, it would just be another MMO, and there are an awful lot of those already.

Also, please don't double post.
Mistral's_Man

Post by Mistral's_Man »

Kuukai wrote: and there are an awful lot of those already.
An awful lot of bad ones if you ask me :lol:
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Kuukai wrote: The World is a terrible MMO where most equipment doesn't change your PC, you have to explicitly save your progress, and players only have a tiny handful of abilities they can use at any given time. There are only 5 towns, and 99% of the game is the same randomly generated garbage over and over. In the story, CyberConnect's quests don't appear to be that common, with pretty much only one going on at any given time...
Sounds like Phantasy Star Universe. Which was fun for a while, and if there was a .hack themed PSU I would wet myself. Not supporting the notion of a new .hack MMO, just saying.
ULFRIC

Post by ULFRIC »

whether or not it's the final installment I'll play it.
And odds are I'll like it.
Despite the graphics, game play, and storyline.
Despite everything.
I'll probably like it simply because I like .hack.

Like people who liked all 3 matrix movies despite the fact they got worse as time went on.
We'll like it simply because we are fans of the series.
It might not be our favorite.
And we might not be totally pleased with it.
But when all is said and done.

We'll all own a copy.
We'll all have played through it multiple times.
And we'll all, to some degree, have enjoyed ourselves.
Erich

Post by Erich »

As I have been thinking to myself, this can be the end of the .hack series. The storyline aspect of it. Maybe so, maybe not. But would CyberConnect2 really toss away a million dollar project? I have my doubts. But do notice, it said GAME. Look at all the past mediums for .hack; games, anime, manga, and even novels. The game aspect is just a small portion of this.

Another thought I was thinking of making into a thread, seems relevant to post here now. We all have a long desired want for another go at //fragment, and this is just america, the lesser side of the .hack fandom. .hack was greatly more successful in Japan; so I doubt CC2 and Bandai are unaware of the want. Now, look around; we are entering the year 2010, the same year that "The World" in its early years fictionally. This is also the year that, they say their final game is, and this game really just is a sudden dropoff into nothingness. I'm hopeful for an official revival of this game, but maybe so, maybe not. (If not, that is why we have Coldbird)
BlueHero45

Post by BlueHero45 »

TenshiNoYami wrote:whether or not it's the final installment I'll play it.
And odds are I'll like it.
Despite the graphics, game play, and storyline.
Despite everything.
I'll probably like it simply because I like .hack.

Like people who liked all 3 matrix movies despite the fact they got worse as time went on.
We'll like it simply because we are fans of the series.
It might not be our favorite.
And we might not be totally pleased with it.
But when all is said and done.

We'll all own a copy.
We'll all have played through it multiple times.
And we'll all, to some degree, have enjoyed ourselves.
Nuff said!
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

I personally don't care about anything else in the game. I've already been pleased with the fact that I can use Data Drain in this installment, which IMO, is totally bitchin.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Erich wrote:As I have been thinking to myself, this can be the end of the .hack series. The storyline aspect of it. Maybe so, maybe not. But would CyberConnect2 really toss away a million dollar project? I have my doubts. But do notice, it said GAME. Look at all the past mediums for .hack; games, anime, manga, and even novels. The game aspect is just a small portion of this.
The game have always been the center of the plot, which everything else revolves around.
Advent_Winter

Post by Advent_Winter »

Plus two animes, a manga, and movie were mentioned. So that pretty much covers the "other mediums" you noted Erich.
Adept_Aiden

Post by Adept_Aiden »

No...Absolutely not...I can't believe that it's on the PSP. Even more there is not actual interaction with the other players. A half ***ed attempt is not something that these guys do and this is definately half-***ed! I mean look at Fragment! A wonderful example of the possibilities that The World holds and even though I am not able to play it because I live in America, I still marvel at it. But this is just too far, not only is it not a real online game, but it's a single one, breaking the multi-disk trend that it set since the beginning. (Of course excluding Fragment) I guess they are really hard up to kill off the series. Maybe at least there will be a game that rises like a phenix from the ashes of what was one of the best games ever made...R.I.P. .hack
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Well for the record only being one volume doesn't guarantee it will be shorter. Last time they mentioned anything about this it was planned to be multiple UMDs...
Adept_Aiden

Post by Adept_Aiden »

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out...