.hack//LINK to be the "final installment" of .hack

Gemcrim
.hack//legendick
.hack//legendick

Re: .hack//LINK to be the "final installment" of .hack

Post by Gemcrim »

AuraTwilight wrote:
But that's the thing. Kite's, Tsukasa's, and Albireo's stories WERE completed, and they left the game behind them. Jesus Almighty, that's part of the MMO theme; characters flowing in and out of the series! What possible reason can Tsukasa, for example, have for coming back to the game that essentially almost stole his soul about a decade later? Hell, An Shouji is 29, and all of a sudden, Za Warudo is serious f*cking business and she needs to protect it from these hackers. It might've been different if she had that attitude during the GU Crisis, but come on. They're just throwing in characters for fanservice with absolutely no justification. As for how it would end? I liked Udeden's conclusion: "This world doesn't need an end!" And then just resolve that current plot arc on a happy note.
I agree completely on Tsukasa and Albireo, on Kite however though his story is completed I can see him coming back to actually enjoy the game as a normal player, the issue I'm having is that he's thrust back into the role of a hero. I honestly wouldn't mind if the actual Kite appeared in GU without a bracelet and without being forced into the plot at all, just as either a character that can be used or a character you can't obtain in the party.

This may just be interpretation but I was under the impression that Kite was a gamer, unlike Tsukasa who used "The World" as an escape and Albireo who played the game and eventually worked in it. Though it's completely possible he'd leave the game behind like those two did, I wouldn't think it's completely impossible for him to return as it is with the other two. He continued playing for at least a time after the Morganna incident and I do imagine after a while he'd grow tired of the game and after dealing with real life issue such as school and work he could possibly decide to play again only to be thrust into the role of a hero as in Link. Now not having read Link I don't know if he's real, I'm just trying to state that as I've said multiple times I can actually see him returning.
Keyaki wrote:
Also what about that rumor saying that CC Corp was interested in making another movie like Trilogy but for IMOQ
It's a rumor and I say it's likely they gave up on it if they ever even started. Either way it'll just be the same/similar plot again and you can just get that from .hack//xxxx.
Akasu

Post by Akasu »

t's a rumor and I say it's likely they gave up on it if they ever even started. Either way it'll just be the same/similar plot again and you can just get that from .hack//xxxx.
You have to admit, the movie would have been a great treat for the former IMOQ players like us. :)
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Speaking about the dream theory...does Tokio ever obtains that one knight-like form and that weapon he used in the dream he had? If yes, then well, that's the first "link" we have between The World and a dream/illusion from Tokio. It might not mean that The World we're seeing is actually all just a dream, but maybe Tokio has some kind of power that whatever he dreams about can become true in The World...or something like that. Just my sudden thought.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

AuraTwilight wrote:But that's the thing. Kite's, Tsukasa's, and Albireo's stories WERE completed, and they left the game behind them. Jesus Almighty, that's part of the MMO theme; characters flowing in and out of the series! What possible reason can Tsukasa, for example, have for coming back to the game that essentially almost stole his soul about a decade later? Hell, An Shouji is 29, and all of a sudden, Za Warudo is serious f*cking business and she needs to protect it from these hackers. It might've been different if she had that attitude during the GU Crisis, but come on. They're just throwing in characters for fanservice with absolutely no justification. As for how it would end? I liked Udeden's conclusion: "This world doesn't need an end!" And then just resolve that current plot arc on a happy note.
Time can also heal wounds and breed nostalgia.

The Third World Network crisis really only lasted a couple of days. Yes, I do find it unlikely that An would be like, "Network Crisis!? This looks like a job for Tsukasa!" and then run out, buy the game, level to something decent in a day with no special powers, and somehow meet up with the presiding hero (Haseo) to help save the day. There are many more plausible ways to bring her in, though. I really doubt she'd turn down an invitation, for instance, and she might offer her assistance during a longer-term emergency, or if Subaru was involved. Or heck, maybe it's not the real Tsukasa. At any rate, complaining about the characters at this point is like complaining about "OMG THEY BROUGHT BACK SKEITH WAI" after the G.U. trailer came out. You know you like it, and they definitely have the capability to explain it. We probably won't know whether or not they choose to use it until the game actually comes out, so it's best to reserve judgment until then...

EDIT: Also, I find it completely amazing that you're bashing something you yourself suggested three years ago.
AuraTwilight wrote:Although, after the Tri-Edge threat, I wouldn't mind the next chronicle of .hack having some connection to Shugo. He and his friends were my favorite characters, and three manga weren't enough in my mind to show off their wonders. (Of course, if we bring back Shugo and the others, we'll need to be fair and bring back everyone. Perhaps a series of games that fulfills the role of Unison--except with SIGN, Game, GU, and Udeden characters :3)
Honestly I'm a bit impressed at how well you foretold this...
Akasu

Post by Akasu »

Well, here's the problem here. How can //LINK be canon in the .hack// storyline if basically EVERYONE'S comming back. I mean, why the hell is Ovan back WITH the barrel made by Corebenik? He was freed of AIDA after The Rebirth.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Akasu wrote:Well, here's the problem here. How can //LINK be canon in the .hack// storyline if basically EVERYONE'S comming back. I mean, why the hell is Ovan back WITH the barrel made by Corebenik? He was freed of AIDA after The Rebirth.
Kuukai wrote:At any rate, complaining about the characters at this point is like complaining about "OMG THEY BROUGHT BACK SKEITH WAI" after the G.U. trailer came out. You know you like it, and they definitely have the capability to explain it. We probably won't know whether or not they choose to use it until the game actually comes out, so it's best to reserve judgment until then...
He's got a point, there's no point in complaining and discussing about the characters for now until we're finally given an explanation, even if it's just a "Because we could, now go play and enjoy the darned game", and then we'll be able to discuss and flame all we wish. We don't even know if AIDA is inside the lock thingy, or anything behind the reason of why he has it again, so we just can't discuss about it, only make theories that'll be proven wrong sometime soon hopefully. I'd like to think that Ovan is hiding something else in the lock, like another kind of weapon, and for a moment i thought that maybe the reason why all characters are returning with the same looks it's because they're being dragged into The World for some reason and are automaticly given a PC based on the looks The World remembers most; the looks that made them important and well known. However, that doesn't explain Subaru's changed looks, and the AI theory seems more believable than this XD
shadow of skeith

Post by shadow of skeith »

Here's my thought then.

If this is the end of .hack//, then surely everyone is comming back because Tokio dreamed of becoming a hero. So, Tokio in the game, is reliving the memories of past .hack// events, like the Macha fight seen in a manga-style cutscene, while trying to defeat schicksal. Doesn't Flugel control time? so that's what I think. In order to end a great series, CC2 plans on letting the player relive the entire series and finishing it with the final ending plot of stopping schicksal from taking over.
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

shadow of skeith wrote:Here's my thought then.

If this is the end of .hack//, then surely everyone is comming back because Tokio dreamed of becoming a hero. So, Tokio in the game, is reliving the memories of past .hack// events, like the Macha fight seen in a manga-style cutscene, while trying to defeat schicksal. Doesn't Flugel control time? so that's what I think. In order to end a great series, CC2 plans on letting the player relive the entire series and finishing it with the final ending plot of stopping schicksal from taking over.
Bold theory, but let's just wait a little longer until we start making assumptions. Possibly after a trailer debuts.
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

I don't see how that is a bold theory at all. Seems like a common sense theory. Not saying that is definately the truth, but that can easily be seen from it. I myself am a huge Elk fan, but the second I saw old Elk and Macha ideas of the same nature flooded my mind. Is it really Elk? Is it a flashback Tokio is being shown, like Blackrose was shown of Orca? Does he get to relive the major events? Is it AI remnants? I'm not very far into Link, only have 4 chapters available to me, there is some information in there that will make things clearer, but for now I don't tihnk that is so "bold".

I wouldn't want the final installment to end like this but I wouldn't mind taking control of a very un-dothacky character to relive old events without directly being apart of it. Like if in the first games you weren't Kite, but a self made character. Kind of like how Phantasy Star Universe online mode is.

Besides, whats wrong with assumptions and theories on games? Thats the only fun part of waiting for the official news.
RedRaz0r

Post by RedRaz0r »

NO xInfinity

Don't spam. - Anime Monkey

this ruined my life

/cry xOver9000
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

Well, that's completely unessescary. We get the point after the first no.-_-
I don't see how that is a bold theory at all. Seems like a common sense theory. Not saying that is definately the truth, but that can easily be seen from it. I myself am a huge Elk fan, but the second I saw old Elk and Macha ideas of the same nature flooded my mind. Is it really Elk? Is it a flashback Tokio is being shown, like Blackrose was shown of Orca? Does he get to relive the major events? Is it AI remnants? I'm not very far into Link, only have 4 chapters available to me, there is some information in there that will make things clearer, but for now I don't tihnk that is so "bold".

I wouldn't want the final installment to end like this but I wouldn't mind taking control of a very un-dothacky character to relive old events without directly being apart of it. Like if in the first games you weren't Kite, but a self made character. Kind of like how Phantasy Star Universe online mode is.

Besides, whats wrong with assumptions and theories on games? Thats the only fun part of waiting for the official news.
Of course. Not that I disagree with Shadow of Skeith's theory. I just think it's up in the air for now. However, if the entire plot/story of .hack//LINK is a major trip down memory lane, then that was one hell of a guess.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

There's nothing wrong with making theories, the only wrong thing is going all "DO NOT WANT!" and bashing it while we hardly know what it's really going on...though that's something i tend to do myself for first-reactions, and it's something the game creators like to cause on us XD
AuraTwilight wrote:Although, after the Tri-Edge threat, I wouldn't mind the next chronicle of .hack having some connection to Shugo. He and his friends were my favorite characters, and three manga weren't enough in my mind to show off their wonders. (Of course, if we bring back Shugo and the others, we'll need to be fair and bring back everyone. Perhaps a series of games that fulfills the role of Unison--except with SIGN, Game, GU, and Udeden characters :3)
OH SHI-
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

_Tri-edge_ wrote:Well, that's completely unessescary. We get the point after the first no.-_-
Indeed, which is why I edited it.
Don't be so obnoxious people. Please. You can disagree about Link, but don't spam like that.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Time can also heal wounds and breed nostalgia.

The Third World Network crisis really only lasted a couple of days. Yes, I do find it unlikely that An would be like, "Network Crisis!? This looks like a job for Tsukasa!" and then run out, buy the game, level to something decent in a day with no special powers, and somehow meet up with the presiding hero (Haseo) to help save the day. There are many more plausible ways to bring her in, though. I really doubt she'd turn down an invitation, for instance, and she might offer her assistance during a longer-term emergency, or if Subaru was involved. Or heck, maybe it's not the real Tsukasa. At any rate, complaining about the characters at this point is like complaining about "OMG THEY BROUGHT BACK SKEITH WAI" after the G.U. trailer came out. You know you like it, and they definitely have the capability to explain it. We probably won't know whether or not they choose to use it until the game actually comes out, so it's best to reserve judgment until then...
Fair enough, but the only reason I'm really complaining right now is because it's not even narratively pleasing right now, and I doubt their ability to sufficiently explain everything. If they do, I'll take back everything I said.
EDIT: Also, I find it completely amazing that you're bashing something you yourself suggested three years ago.

Honestly I'm a bit impressed at how well you foretold this...
The keyword there is Unison: AKA, a comedy relief bonus, not a serious adventure in which everyone comes back in order to fight a new threat.

Though yea, I totally called it. I blame myself for having prophetic .hack powers, and now I must place bank on my dream/AI theory, since apparently CC2 has been reading my mind since 2002.
Well, here's the problem here. How can //LINK be canon in the .hack// storyline if basically EVERYONE'S comming back. I mean, why the hell is Ovan back WITH the barrel made by Corebenik? He was freed of AIDA after The Rebirth.
Chrono Cores.
Bold theory, but let's just wait a little longer until we start making assumptions. Possibly after a trailer debuts.
But that's boring. I really enjoyed the old days when people were churning out off the wall theories, like Tri-Edge being the original Bracelet's remnants becoming self aware and possessing Kite's PC and trying to destroy the Epitaph Users out of residual memories (Ovan being the key to beating him because Tri-Edge has no memories of him). That was a badass theory.
Yea, the Elk thing is part of what makes me think AI's over everything else, since it doesn't SEEM like he has a Chrono Core, and he lacks any sort of his character development. Though that does prompt me to think, how many Chrono Cores are there? 100? Jesus Lord.
Akasu

Post by Akasu »

I agree with the dream theory as well. It's the only thing that makes sense if the story's transfering from G.U. three years ago.
shadow of skeith

Post by shadow of skeith »

Well I have an important question.....CAN WE DATA DRAIN??????
Ren_Geki

Post by Ren_Geki »

shadow of skeith wrote:Well I have an important question.....CAN WE DATA DRAIN??????
Obviously, if you plan on taking down a group of players with hacked PC's.-_-
Shikuza_Ame

Post by Shikuza_Ame »

.Hack//Link....hmmm...
The title this time, "Link," holds a number of meanings.

One of these is that it is an "all-inclusive" work that links together all of the episodes of the .hack series up to now.

Another is that it is a story about "bonds," placing emphasis on your relationship with your companions.

These aren't just simple themes, they are deeply related to even the game's mechanics
According to the message posted on the new //LINK website there is definetly a "link" to all the characters that will be making a return. I'm sure that whatever that link maybe will be incredibly important to the entire .hack story since it extends all the way back to the past.

Now, what I'm thinking right now is that this "link" is a string of events, or a single event, that caused most if not all of the .hack plots or stories. Since the last enemy, from what I can see, is Fluegel and his band of players, then perhaps they played an important role even before G.U. And even if there isn't any evidence, it would make a little sense since they were first hinted after the G.U trilogy.

These guys, whoever they are, are searching for the chrono cores to get/find the Akashic Records, am I right? And these Akashic records hold information about the major events taken place in "The World", right? So what if these records are the cause of all the returning characters? What if these records somehow created replicas of all the heroes/villans based on how they were during those events and brought them back to R:X ? I'm not saying the records are some type of all-powerful program like aura that can re-create based on "memories", but it would be a good reason for the coming back of the characters. And what if these records had something to do with Harold's blackbox program?

By now you've probably figured out im pulling all of this outta my a$$, but there has to be some type of connection. I'm pretty sure the creators of .Hack arn't going to let us down. Hell, if they were able to create the stories that we all fell in love with then they are more than capable of making another story that we'll all fall in love with. (In referring to .LINK) They must have something big....I'm just so eager to find that "Link".

Well whatever it is, it has to also have some connection with Harold and his love for Emma since it was the reason the game existed in the first place. And Harold's attempt to build a representation of his love and call it his "daughter". Emma is just as important because she created the Epitaph of Twilight and so was responcible for the basic storyline within [The World].
In some way, I guess Harold wanted Aura to "experience" her story and live in it....even if the story itself was altered in some way by Cc-Corp.

................Okay I'ma going to shut up now.

Alright nevermind I still have something to say.
Um...I don't think I'm correct about this, but Emma DID have some type of vision right? Like, just before she had that car accident and died?? What if this vision she had was the outcome of .LINK., or had something to do with it. Besides if she did have these occurences then it's not too farfetched to consider Tokio's dreams. They might really be more like visions....
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

What if these records somehow created replicas of all the heroes/villans based on how they were during those events and brought them back to R:X
You know, that's pretty much close if not identical to the current AI theory, that everyone except Tokio and Saika (and Schicksal) are all AIs brought from The World's memories.

But now you got me thinking, involving Schicksal in the past...Maybe we would see scenes in the game that take place during the times in IMOQ and GU? Maybe Schicksal was behind everything since the Morganna incident and we'll get to see how much influence they had in the game, maybe even as scenes with their own gameplay? That would be quite interesting to see.
The Terror Of Death

Post by The Terror Of Death »

im just gonna wait to hear about more news about the game before i make up my mind. I think ill get the game simply because im a fan of the series and i dont really have to worry since theres a lot of PSP games that catch my interest which will keep me busy til it comes out.

theres only one problem. i hear the PSP is gonna be discontinued due to low sales, so im not sure if theyd be able to release it in the US. but if not PSP the DS would work. if not a handheld maybe the 360? which id rather they release it for one of those consoles considering that i got them because theres at least 5 games i want for each system. as for PS3....theres only one game i like and its not enough reason for me to want one.

as for the PSP rumor im not sure if its true, its just something a friend told me the other day, while i heard stuff about the PSP2 which means i would think theyd be able to put link on PSP anyway. In anycase i need to verify both things. it will give me something to do til i hear more about link for the PSP.

one last thing, i srsly hope it will be like PSU where you follow the main story with the the main character, and then we can make a separate character to "link" up with other people with the game and go on adventures and stuff. thats something i really hope i will see as it will make me enjoy the PSP that much more