LINK's story?

Discuss the multitude of .hack Manga and Novels!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Hybrid
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:02 am
Location: Safe in my imagination

LINK's story?

Postby Hybrid » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:35 pm

Ok, this is something that's been bugging me for the past week now. What exactly is the story of LINK? I've searched wikipedia, the .hack wiki, on these forums, as well as reviews on other sites, and I just can't find something that explains it! All I've been able to gather was that some kid named Tokio gets sucked into The World after meeting a strange girl and then he starts meeting past .hack characters that are losing their memories. What exactly is this about, and is it any good? I don't care at all about spoilers--to me, no matter how much information I know beforehand it never compares to reading the thing myself.

I'm just curious because I'm not sure if I should buy this after I go through the G.U. stuff.

User avatar
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet
Posts: 5275
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:02 am

Re: LINK's story?

Postby Kuukai » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:03 pm

You posted in the manga forum, but the manga was never completed and nothing was really explained. If you want to know the story for the game, though, see these:
viewtopic.php?p=421391#p421391
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=17539

User avatar
Hybrid
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:02 am
Location: Safe in my imagination

Re: LINK's story?

Postby Hybrid » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:37 am

Hmm, from my understanding it was the game that was based after the story of the manga. Well, that's why you can never fully trust what wikipedia says. :P Thanks for the links.

User avatar
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet
Posts: 5275
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:02 am

Re: LINK's story?

Postby Kuukai » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:04 am

The manga is a retelling, it came out first but it was based on the existing game project. It's the same way that SIGN was based on the .hack games or G.U.+ was based on G.U....

User avatar
Airon
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: LINK's story?

Postby Airon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:27 pm

Kuukai wrote:The manga is a retelling, it came out first but it was based on the existing game project. It's the same way that SIGN was based on the .hack games or G.U.+ was based on G.U....

You meant XXXX based on the .hack games right? Otherwise, you're implying SIGN isn't canon to the main storyline like G.U.+ wasn't canon to the main G.U. storyline. I haven't played Link, but I don't think I saw mention that SIGN was now an alternate telling in the spoiler threads.

User avatar
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet
Posts: 5275
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:02 am

Re: LINK's story?

Postby Kuukai » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:44 pm

seithecs wrote:
Kuukai wrote:The manga is a retelling, it came out first but it was based on the existing game project. It's the same way that SIGN was based on the .hack games or G.U.+ was based on G.U....

You meant XXXX based on the .hack games right? Otherwise, you're implying SIGN isn't canon to the main storyline like G.U.+ wasn't canon to the main G.U. storyline. I haven't played Link, but I don't think I saw mention that SIGN was now an alternate telling in the spoiler threads.
Where did I say that SIGN wasn't canon? I just said that even if A comes out first and B comes out second, it's common in .hack for A to be based on B, not the other way around as most people expect. Link isn't based on the manga any more than G.U. is based on G.U.+ (or Roots) or the original games are based on SIGN. In all these cases these stories were based off of the corresponding game project and released earlier as a kind of advertisement. SIGN and Roots are different from G.U.+ in that they aren't retellings of the game stories, but they're still spinoffs derived from the game plot.

User avatar
Airon
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: LINK's story?

Postby Airon » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:12 pm

Kuukai wrote:
seithecs wrote:
Kuukai wrote:The manga is a retelling, it came out first but it was based on the existing game project. It's the same way that SIGN was based on the .hack games or G.U.+ was based on G.U....

You meant XXXX based on the .hack games right? Otherwise, you're implying SIGN isn't canon to the main storyline like G.U.+ wasn't canon to the main G.U. storyline. I haven't played Link, but I don't think I saw mention that SIGN was now an alternate telling in the spoiler threads.
Where did I say that SIGN wasn't canon? I just said that even if A comes out first and B comes out second, it's common in .hack for A to be based on B, not the other way around as most people expect. Link isn't based on the manga any more than G.U. is based on G.U.+ (or Roots) or the original games are based on SIGN. In all these cases these stories were based off of the corresponding game project and released earlier as a kind of advertisement. SIGN and Roots are different from G.U.+ in that they aren't retellings of the game stories, but they're still spinoffs derived from the game plot.

Sorry, it just felt implied, not directly spoken. I had understood you were comparing what G.U.+ is to G.U. and what Twilight Knights is to Link because in both cases it was a manga that followed the original game but then derailed and became its own story. Logically, I presumed that rather than SIGN you had meant to say XXXX because it too is a manga based on the original game, but then went on its own story.
A misunderstanding, I hope you had not taken offense to it.

User avatar
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet
Posts: 5275
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:02 am

Re: LINK's story?

Postby Kuukai » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:22 pm

No problem, the reason I didn't mention XXXX was because it came out after the games and wasn't really an example of what I was talking about...

User avatar
ULFRIC
Posts: 706
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:45 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Re: LINK's story?

Postby ULFRIC » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:14 pm

seithecs wrote:
Kuukai wrote:
seithecs wrote:
Kuukai wrote:The manga is a retelling, it came out first but it was based on the existing game project. It's the same way that SIGN was based on the .hack games or G.U.+ was based on G.U....

You meant XXXX based on the .hack games right? Otherwise, you're implying SIGN isn't canon to the main storyline like G.U.+ wasn't canon to the main G.U. storyline. I haven't played Link, but I don't think I saw mention that SIGN was now an alternate telling in the spoiler threads.
Where did I say that SIGN wasn't canon? I just said that even if A comes out first and B comes out second, it's common in .hack for A to be based on B, not the other way around as most people expect. Link isn't based on the manga any more than G.U. is based on G.U.+ (or Roots) or the original games are based on SIGN. In all these cases these stories were based off of the corresponding game project and released earlier as a kind of advertisement. SIGN and Roots are different from G.U.+ in that they aren't retellings of the game stories, but they're still spinoffs derived from the game plot.

Sorry, it just felt implied, not directly spoken. I had understood you were comparing what G.U.+ is to G.U. and what Twilight Knights is to Link because in both cases it was a manga that followed the original game but then derailed and became its own story. Logically, I presumed that rather than SIGN you had meant to say XXXX because it too is a manga based on the original game, but then went on its own story.
A misunderstanding, I hope you had not taken offense to it.


I'm not sure if I just misread, but SIGN wasn't based off the games. As in, the story has nothing to do with the games. It all happens prior to anything in the game taking place. Like, if not for SIGN, there would be no IMOQ. Well...not that much of a platform but still yea, in a timeline, SIGN happens and then IMOQ happens. XXXX is based on the game, with kind of a new outlook on things and slightly different events. Kinda like LotTB manga/anime. They both start at the generally same place, and then a decision is made, an event happens, and they take off in totally different directions.

User avatar
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet
Posts: 5275
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:02 am

Re: LINK's story?

Postby Kuukai » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:35 pm

TenshiNoYami wrote:I'm not sure if I just misread, but SIGN wasn't based off the games. As in, the story has nothing to do with the games.
Just to be clear, I'm talking about in the real world, as opposed to in the .hack world. Yes, SIGN came out first, but it was actually created after the games, with the goal of introducing the premise. The story has everything to do with the games. A mysterious MMO where people fall into comas for some reason, the source of which remains unchallenged. Unsolved, enigmatic riddles as to the true purpose. Aura. Skeith. SIGN makes very little sense as a standalone story. On the other hand, the games pretty much do, just with a cameo here or there for people who saw SIGN. The actual screenplay for SIGN has dozens of footnotes describing various scenes in terms of the games, such as Silver Knight looking like Marlo, Macha's relationship to the other Macha, and so on.

User avatar
ULFRIC
Posts: 706
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:45 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Re: LINK's story?

Postby ULFRIC » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:03 pm

OHHH!!!!! Ok! That's where the disconnect was happening for me. I thought you were talking about the .hack world, not the real world. Ok. Now I'm on the same page. We're good~

User avatar
(Phantom) Thief
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:27 am
Location: The World
Contact:

Re: LINK's story?

Postby (Phantom) Thief » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:01 am

Interesting, I'd knew the anime characters were based off the game design but not that it came out after the original series. Still, while we are on the subject, wasn't LOTB planned around the same time as the games but break off from the initial project? I think it was mentioned at the back of the comic or in an interview with Matsuyama, but supposing it is true could someone clarify what happened?

User avatar
eclipseneko
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 8:15 pm
Contact:

Re: LINK's story?

Postby eclipseneko » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:05 pm

I actually agree.

It suddenly ended at the part where he was about to get help or to recruit Haseo!

All I understood was that the evil guys took orders from.....Panties.

I searched other manga sites to see if they got all the complete ones....but they were all the same.

I guess it's up to watching the anime then. Though, I never really watched .hack//Link...

User avatar
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin
Posts: 6587
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:47 pm
Location: The Edge of Madness
Contact:

Re: LINK's story?

Postby TheSorrow » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:37 pm

eclipseneko wrote:I guess it's up to watching the anime then. Though, I never really watched .hack//Link...

Actually, there's no .Hack//LINK anime. It's just the PSP game, and the manga which wasn't finished. The anime/OVA that was just released is part of another story, .Hack//Quantum, which although it relates to LINK and is part of the same "generation", it's a different story altogether (like SIGN and IMOQ...sort of). The movie that will be released eventually is also different from both LINK and Quantum.

Also, i always believed that such "panties" chapter was either some joke made by the fan-translators, or some actual chapter made by the creators but also as a joke and never to be taken seriously (...not like it was even possible to taken it any serious XD). And there were actually more chapters released for the LINK manga...at least, i recall seeing manga scans of events happening after the last before-the-panties chapter, and i never saw any fan-translation of those. But either way, the manga was indeed left unfinished. The full story only exists in the PSP game.


Return to “//Manga/Novels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users