.hack//G.U. Novels

Discuss the multitude of .hack Manga and Novels!

Moderator: Moderators

TheEnigma
The Beholder of Chaos
The Beholder of Chaos

Re: .hack//G.U. Novels

Post by TheEnigma »

Nalkorash wrote:So I just bought the first .hack//G.U. novel, and I even had the local Barnes & Nobles pre-order the other two volumes for me, but... upon opening up to the first few pages of the first novel, I've found myself saying "wow, this is really cheesy". Has anyone read these to give me a good opinion of whether or not I should try and get my money back?
I read it. It is kinda chessy but since I buy anything and everything hack related I kept it. If you dont like it, then just return and get your money back. Its not like the novel is canon anyways. Just go play the game.
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

I loved the novels in comparison to the game. Mainly because they gave more insight to characters besides Haseo. Like what happened to Elk and Mia, and what serious thoughts go through Kuhn's normally happy and lecherous head.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Tolby wrote:I loved the novels in comparison to the game. Mainly because they gave more insight to characters besides Haseo. Like what happened to Elk and Mia, and what serious thoughts go through Kuhn's normally happy and lecherous head.
If you actually bothered to pay attention, the G.U. games weren't just about Haseo.
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

The writing in the novels isn't exactly great... I mean, it gets by, just don't expect literature-like quality. Plus Tokyopop screws up a lot in the second novel.

That being said, I find the story mostly enjoyable. The third novel got a little weird on that, but it's still interesting.
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:
Tolby wrote:I loved the novels in comparison to the game. Mainly because they gave more insight to characters besides Haseo. Like what happened to Elk and Mia, and what serious thoughts go through Kuhn's normally happy and lecherous head.
If you actually bothered to pay attention, the G.U. games weren't just about Haseo.
I did pay attention. Haseo is the main character, it revolves around him. In the novels other characters get narrative. Believe it or not I actually loved G.U. when I first played through it. Bought each volume the day it was out and beat it.. well probably the day it was out, or the next day. It wasn't until after I beat all 3 games and absorbed everything that happened that my current opinion was formed.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

TheEnigma wrote:
Nalkorash wrote:So I just bought the first .hack//G.U. novel, and I even had the local Barnes & Nobles pre-order the other two volumes for me, but... upon opening up to the first few pages of the first novel, I've found myself saying "wow, this is really cheesy". Has anyone read these to give me a good opinion of whether or not I should try and get my money back?
I read it. It is kinda chessy but since I buy anything and everything hack related I kept it. If you dont like it, then just return and get your money back. Its not like the novel is canon anyways. Just go play the game.
Wrong.

The novel was the original story.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Helbaworshipper wrote:
TheEnigma wrote:
Wrong.

The novel was the original story.
Wrong on being wrong. You and The Enigma are both right.

The novel WAS the original story...that is, the very first intended story the developers and writers thought of and created before actually working with the games. The "original", "first" story of G.U., you could say.
However, the story from the G.U. is the CANON one, the actual story that happened in the .Hack universe and that relates to every other canonical event...the actual story you should learn and be paying attention to, if you want to know what really happened, the real events that affected the .Hack story.

The novels talk about "what was originally intended to happen". The games talk about "what really happened". Novels might say the original story...but it's a non-canon story for the series.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

It was based on the original story. In the original story some of the Epitaph Users were "server masters" Haseo had to defeat to advance, and the Epitaphs were everything from someone's eye to Endrance's cat. The novel is just another offshoot from this, and it isn't part of the main canon, although:  an alternate possible timeline seen in Link includes AIDA-Monsters as a nod to it.
Kryuzei
Location: The sixth dimension; those who alter the reality itself to make the world came true.

Post by Kryuzei »

Got vol 4 yesterday..
I can't comprehend that buddhism thing that Ovan and Haseo talked during their final battle. Was their conversation a symbolism or something for their fight? I mean, I didn't see any actual fights besides that complex conversation that I can't understand at all :(

Other than that though, this novel is pretty good. It gives a different feeling than the game but I can still accept it as G.U itself...

..As for the ending, did Shino win at the end (for haseo)? :P
Adhemas

Post by Adhemas »

Kryuzei wrote:Got vol 4 yesterday..
Wait...what? Did you buy the japanese version or was there ever released a forth volume of it in english? As far as I know hey've never done it due to the bankruptcy of Tokyo Pop. So I guess I have to learn reading japanese :/

EDIT: Saw it in the other thread. So it is released (somehow). Thank god :D
Forget my post.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

If people are still looking for novel 4 its on amazon.co.uk (£24), amazon.com ($14,several copies from that seller) and Rightstuf, order soon not sure how much stock they have @.@
Schwarz Ehrgeiz

Post by Schwarz Ehrgeiz »

Adhemas wrote:
Kryuzei wrote:Got vol 4 yesterday..
Wait...what? Did you buy the japanese version or was there ever released a forth volume of it in english? As far as I know hey've never done it due to the bankruptcy of Tokyo Pop. So I guess I have to learn reading japanese :/

EDIT: Saw it in the other thread. So it is released (somehow). Thank god :D
Forget my post.
Careful with that term "bankruptcy;" it's not necessarily synonymous with "not getting money" in economics, even the two often go hand-in-hand when the former is brought up. That terms is only used in specific instances where a business can not pay back their creditors. What happened to Tokyopop: that's just not getting enough money and Stu Levy wanting to do other things. Borders? That is bankruptcy.

That aside, to help clear things up for you, the Germany branch of Tokyopop still exists. and they still handle releases for the international market, but in much smaller quantities than the US division did.