The Returns - Hows & Whys (spoilers)

Discuss the multitude of .hack Manga and Novels!

Moderator: Moderators

Midori

The Returns - Hows & Whys (spoilers)

Post by Midori »

Okay, I've seen a lot of disgruntlement over .hack//LINK because of the characters returning from previous .hack installments.

Kite, Tsukasa, Subaru, Alkaid/Yowcow, Azure Flame Kite, and the list goes on and on.

What I would like to ask everyone is, please discuss at length, each character returning. I've heard things such as "that person quit The World. It makes no sense for them to come back!" and etc.

So, if a character has returned to 'The World" and you are saying they quit, please post a citation for your source. Did they say "I am never returning to The World. Today....I quit never to return...."? If so, please post where and when, they said what (exact quotes please).

Not only will this help us create a list of sorts of why it makes no sense for certain characters to come back, and perhaps we can debunk the theory that certain characters shouldn't return.

Kite was 14 at the time of IMOQ, correct? So ten years later, at the age of 24, is it really that impossible to believe he has returned interest to The World after graduating from college?

Things like this I think we should discuss and start eliminating silly reasons people are pissed other are coming back.

**NOTE: This is not a thread for everyone to complain about how a character is behaving in .hack//LINK//Twilight Knights! There are many theories out there that would also make sense, such as the AI Theory, and the Tokio Dream theory. But as we face this series, it is becoming more obvious that this will become the focal point of the new .hack generation, and must be considered canon. And with that in mind, personalities of PCs being altered by the chrono core are a reasonable explanation. It's like rewinding their data to another time I'm guessing from the manga.

Okay! So let's start posting concerning the returning characters in .hack//LINK//Twilight Knights! Please be sure to post your sources to the most exactness of your ability. If it was a novel, cite the page number, paragraph, and quote the exact words.

Posting a quote from a manga or anime? Post a pic from the frame in the page, or a screencap of a subtitled episode.

Let's try to make some sense of these returning characters guys!
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Re: The Returns - Hows & Whys (spoilers)

Post by AuraTwilight »

AI/Tokio Dream Theory. Unless they can pull something ball-bustingly amazing, I won't accept anything else; an item stuck in a PC shouldn't just undo character development.
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

For Azure Flame Kite, there can only be two possible reasons why he's returned. (Exempt the A.I./Dream Theory.)

1. A vagrant brigade of players trying to obtain an immense power in R:X, a.k.a Schicksal/Akashic Records, has apparently caught Aura's attention, and as Aura's "blade" or "Knight", whichever, Azure Kite ensures the role as "Policeman of The World" once again.

2. Because Kite has been frozen, Aura has probably sent out Azure Kite for back up to help Tokio stop Schicksal.
|<!73

Post by |<!73 »

Kite - "Fluegal ... you've repeatedly altered data inside the network distorting the system... And you've taken away my friends... Stop trying to impress CC Corp! And return this world to its original state!" (Kite - .hack//LINK Vol. 2 page 9) Kite has already lost his friends. He is fighting for multiple reasons both the network, and the safe return of his friends. Additionally he doesn't have that AI pulled from the memories of The World feel. *New Costume & Avatar*

Subaru - "The time that we shared in the world, was the happiest time for Tsukasa and me." (Subaru - .hack//LINK Vol. 4 page 5) Subaru enjoyed the time she spent with Tsukasa in The World. She returned to continue being with Tsukasa. On the left of page 6 there are images of Tsukasa's time with Subaru. In Subaru's memories Tsukasa is giving her a rose, holding a grunty, and an image of a simple smile. None of those memories occurred in the anime. As stated they spent time together and she was resuming that with Tsukasa.

Tsukasa - "Not too long ago Tsukasa began to act strange, It was as if he became a different person." (.hack//LINK Vol. 4 Page 6) As before Tsukasa is happy to be in the The World with Subaru and probably returned for that reason. Akasuki changing the Akashic records is a recent effect. Tsukasa forgot about Subaru and began causing meaningless destruction. Beforehand however he was with Subaru.

Azure Flame Kite - "The knights of Aura have been tracking down the anomalies of "The World", AIDA, and Ovan."
(Guardians - .hack//G.U. Vol. 3 Memoir) Azure Kite is just continuing his duties. Aura went to sleep however, The Three Azure Knights did not. In redemption Haseo received their member addresses in an e-mail as she had no use for them while she was asleep.

Haseo - He has made many friends in The World. Its more than likely after R:2 he kept in contact with many of them. When the game returned there was more than one reason to play it. In LINK his memories are altered causing him to believe Shino is still in a coma. Following that he now has an even strong goal to continue in R:X

Alkaid - "I'm the new champion, Alkaid!" (Alkaid - .hack//LINK Vol. 9)
In LINK Alkaid continued playing and is the new arena champion. She is level 99, which suggest she has worked hard. In R:2 Alkaid had strong desires to become the champion of the arena. The fact Haseo is still playing the game acts as additional motivation. Its also the reason why Geist is able to manipulate her emotions. Alkaid is attached to Haseo and would naturally seek him out.

Silver Knight - Silver Knight's appearance is only mentioned offhand by Subaru. However, he has appeared in R:2. With his strong belief in justice, followed by adding Subaru into the mix I wonder what could possibly keep him away from being a Twilight Knight. Silver Knight never really stopped playing the game.

"There isn't much time left so listen closely... I want you to locate my comrades. Then use their powers to open up the Akashic Records. If you can do that, you should be able to return to the real world" (Kite - .hack//LINK Vol. 2 page 18) This is something I think most people forget about. In order for Tokio to return to the real world he has to find Kite's friends then use their powers to open up the Akashic records to return to the real world. Since that is the case naturally the people one would expect to be returning would have powers, players similar to Tsukasa, Haseo and excetera. As a plus The Twilight Knights are described as Kite's friends that collectively possess Chrono Cores.

Anyway those are some of the reasons I think each character would make a returning appearance.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

And if you're an AI, your memories can be faked anyway, mooting all of those points.
The-Missing-Spade

Post by The-Missing-Spade »

AuraTwilight wrote:And if you're an AI, your memories can be faked anyway, mooting all of those points.
Damn. What a trip kill.

X3

Seriously though, why don't you all just let the actual anime or game give you the main reasons for each character's return?
Just be patient and everything will make sense or connect to each other.

So just wait, god damn it! XP
milliennium_fox

Post by milliennium_fox »

Please do not revive threads 6 or more months old. If there is a subject you'd like to post about that was in an old thread, feel free to make a new thread about it.