A "not expecting" position

Discuss the multitude of .hack Manga and Novels!

Moderator: Moderators

Xanathos

A "not expecting" position

Post by Xanathos »

Ok, i wanted to discuss this with someone. Well, i don't know if this was discussed before, but... i know many people are expecting a lot from .hack//LINK, and i don't think it's wrong to expect so much. I'm also aware that CC2 said that the next .hack series would come faster, to avoid a case like G.U. that was released a long time ago before the first .hack series.
My point is that when seeing how LINK is going... i don't feel that aura of mystery, that every .hack series i've seen so far (except .hack//Udeden) have. Also, things like the design of the main character make me thing, that the series will not be so good as G.U. or the first ones. So... here's my point. I'm not expecting a new .hack series to be coming soon, at least, not like the ones i've seen until now. I consider LINK as something like Udeden, for example.

Then only thing i hope (because that's my main fear), is that making things going faster (talking about CC2) will not worsen things with the .hack series. So... if they're going to take a little while to make a .hack series that will not be interesting... i'd prefer them to take the time to do something extraordinary... like the .hack series that've been released until now.

See ya.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Re: A "not expecting" position

Post by AuraTwilight »

I kind've agree. There probably will be a new series, and I sense an aura of mystery, but I'm expecting suckitude.
hgtfhfhg

Post by hgtfhfhg »

dudes got a point, most of the .hack series were done slowly and were well thought out which is what probably has made them do successful.
Xanathos

Post by Xanathos »

AuraTwilight wrote:I kind've agree. There probably will be a new series, and I sense an aura of mystery, but I'm expecting suckitude.
Indeed, there is mistery, but i don't feel something so intense as the previous sagas. (Ah... when i remember the suspense i had when i wanted to know what happened with Sora once i finished to see SIGN, or to know what the hell wazzup with Tri-Edge when i saw the first trailer of G.U. because it looks like Kite [Note: I know Tri-Edge is Ovan])

But that mistery, is like... bumped away, when you see some elements that are a bit... off. First, the main character (ok, i don't hate how it seems), but as far as i understood it looks like him in the real world, right? Another thing, is seeing Haseo and Kite in the same place as Tokio, so... feels like they're there just to fill some void that the main character can't fill.

Anyway, as i said before... the CC2 guys can take all the time they want... as long as they release something that equals or who knows... surpass G.U.

(Surpass would be great, right? Can't even imagine that! : :D :D :D
Tsugasa-kun

Post by Tsugasa-kun »

Is it possible that .hack//Link is exactly as its titled? A link to the next series, and functions much Like Udeden did for the .hack games. A buffer series to help us transfer to the next saga.
d5t

Post by d5t »

hgtfhfhg wrote:dudes got a point, most of the .hack series were done slowly and were well thought out which is what probably has made them do successful.
The G.U. PS2 games would have been out soon after the first series concluded (a la the .hack Prototype trailer, circa 2004; http://www.dothackers.net/media.php if you haven't seen it ). However, they decided to scrap it, most noticeably for better graphics and art style from what I can remember, and recreate what G.U. is today. Seems like CC2 is trying to capitalize on the current .hack//G.U. fanbase. Stated in an interview was how the first .hack series fanbase had moved way on - gotten older, were in college now, etc... - when G.U. started to appear (trying to remember which interview that was, I'll edit my post when I remember). They don't want to lose out on the fanbase they have right now; CC2 wants to build upon it.

I like the theory that .hack//LINK is filler and a "link" to the next series; the end teaser after .hack//Trilogy has me second guessing that theory a bit, but it seems dead on right now.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

Best for them to wait, and take there time. It take a long time to come up with everything make it into a Manga, then turn the Manga into a tv show, and game. I rather wait at least a few years before releasing something major other then the manga. As long as we get some info on new stuff we are find. We'll seen what happen to some series when they released them to fast not spend much time working on them.
Darmk Lord Space Cow

Post by Darmk Lord Space Cow »

I don't think that link refers to the series linking to annother series I think it means the linking of the past series together by bringing all the old characters together so I don't think that that theory is correct. But I do agree that it whuld be nice for this serise not to suck. I think it will just be a manga thow and won't move on to tv or vidio games.
Dead

Post by Dead »

d5t wrote:
hgtfhfhg wrote:Stated in an interview was how the first .hack series fanbase had moved way on - gotten older, were in college now, etc... - when G.U. started to appear (trying to remember which interview that was, I'll edit my post when I remember). They don't want to lose out on the fanbase they have right now; CC2 wants to build upon it.
i remember that interview too, i think it was from an Akon or somthing.
d0tti3

Post by d0tti3 »

Darmk Lord Space Cow wrote:I don't think that link refers to the series linking to annother series I think it means the linking of the past series together by bringing all the old characters together so I don't think that that theory is correct. But I do agree that it whuld be nice for this serise not to suck. I think it will just be a manga thow and won't move on to tv or vidio games.
Maybe, maybe not.
I'm sure, if there is anything beyond Link, CC will want to keep it under wraps, so people can't hypothesize, anticipate, etc, and end up being disappointed or something. I can already see that happening with Link, and I'm sure it's happened in the past too, where arguments arise, and people feel that their opinion is the strongest, and going against that opinion is blasphemy.

Not that it's the main worry on their minds, but once there's a leak, it spreads like a wildfire.

I just hope that if there is to be a game series, that it won't be what Link is. I don't want to see characters from past games if it's not in a strategic sense like they did with GU. It was cool for Sieg to come back, as Kuhn, though the mystery as to why he doesn't remember Balmung and Orca is very alluring, and that's what I love. There are still unanswered questions to the past series, and maybe producers use these elements to further the storyline.
Not that Tomonari is a crucial factor to anything.

Haseo's a better example.

But anyways~ if past characters come back, they shouldn't have the same appearance that they once had... unless it has to do with those Files I've seen popping up in discussions across the board. Even at that, woo. R:2 is gone, R:1 is gone, now is the time of R:X, where there should be new character design models. The wishes of the mind shouldn't bring back what needs to stay dead.
FallenDragon
Location: Lost In A Sea Of Thoughts...or falling asleep in front of the monitor

Post by FallenDragon »

d0tti3 wrote:I just hope that if there is to be a game series, that it won't be what Link is. I don't want to see characters from past games if it's not in a strategic sense like they did with GU. It was cool for Sieg to come back, as Kuhn, though the mystery as to why he doesn't remember Balmung and Orca is very alluring, and that's what I love. There are still unanswered questions to the past series, and maybe producers use these elements to further the storyline.
Not that Tomonari is a crucial factor to anything.
Well, Balmung and Orca were just AI's, I don't think it's like Kuhn didn't recognized them, maybe he just realized it wasn't them, at least that's what I think.
d0tti3 wrote: But anyways~ if past characters come back, they shouldn't have the same appearance that they once had... unless it has to do with those Files I've seen popping up in discussions across the board. Even at that, woo. R:2 is gone, R:1 is gone, now is the time of R:X, where there should be new character design models. The wishes of the mind shouldn't bring back what needs to stay dead.
Kite had a few changes on his clothes, seems like some kind of mix between Kite (from IMOQ) and Azure Kite; Haseo wears that costume from the prototype trailer (I think i've mentioned this before...? Don't remember); but Tsukasa seems to be the same, at least from what I've seen.
Darmk Lord Space Cow

Same costumes don't bother me thare are some characters that I much rather see in thare old look like yata as wiseman. And thare are other characters who I culdent imagin looking to different like kite subaro black rose and tsukasa it whuld just seem weird. But don't get me wrong I liked the change frome elk to enderance I think it shows how he's matured and become a little self reliant that also becomes aparent in his change of character class but for the most part if thare gonna change the look of things they better do it rite.
d0tti3

Post by d0tti3 »

FallenDragon wrote:
Well, Balmung and Orca were just AI's, I don't think it's like Kuhn didn't recognized them, maybe he just realized it wasn't them, at least that's what I think.
Ahhh, true. I guess I assumed there should be a bigger impact on his part-- like, "ohmahgod, I know these people, Haseo~!!" Then again, it is seven years later, and I would hope he matured out of that awkward competitive stage of a teenager's life. xD
FallenDragon wrote: Kite had a few changes on his clothes, seems like some kind of mix between Kite (from IMOQ) and Azure Kite; Haseo wears that costume from the prototype trailer (I think i've mentioned this before...? Don't remember); but Tsukasa seems to be the same, at least from what I've seen.
Well, yeah, those minor details are noticeable but you can still recognize who they are. Comparing Wiseman and Yata, they don't look anything like each other, but it;s the same person. same with Seig and Kuhn, they don't look anything like each other. I would think that they would do the same for the R:X, where things are different as far as design, elements and environment. Same should apply to R:X.

So, with that. I've kept with my thoughts-- that the characters of the past are not actual players, but AIs, memories, something. I think that would make it more interesting.
Darmk Lord Space Cow

Um... I hate the idea of having the old characters be ais I think its a bad idea and I will be really pissed off if they do somthing cheap like that. I say the real people or nuthing at all. No more past character ais!
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Darmk Lord Space Cow wrote:Um... I hate the idea of having the old characters be ais I think its a bad idea and I will be really pissed off if they do somthing cheap like that. I say the real people or nuthing at all. No more past character ais!
I disagree. I'd rather have AI's then having it be implied that my favorite characters are no-life otakus who waste YEARS on a video game.
Darmk Lord Space Cow

Maby you have a point about the characters being losers for wasting thare lives on a game put whuldent that put some people like us who have spent countless houers playing and talking about a game on foruks??? Im not calling annyone a loser just trying to make a point. But I rather have the real characters cuz if u dident need the real people now then why not just have made the characters in all the games and shows and manga ais to. Cuz if u don't need the real character to fight the bad guy now why whuld you have ever needed him when you culd have just made ais. And I also think it whuld take away frome the realisum. That's one of the reasons the serise is so interesting becuz you can see the real people playing the werld and see whut thare going threw in real life. I think the ai thing is a bad idea if tha gonna do that then they shuld not eaven make it am mmo this time and just have a bunch of ais in a computer system trying to revive a bunch of comatose ais. Hell why not just make it a nother reboot. (A cartoon adout things living in a computer system)
d0tti3

Post by d0tti3 »

Ah, well, that ruins the element of surprise, doesn't it?

We know how these people IRL, the kicking twist would be that they aren't real at all. I won't shove my opinion down your throat, but repetition, beating a dead horse, etc. is what kills a story.

I don't want .hack to end on a bad note, twists to further envelope the player into the mysteries of The World would only do it good.
Knowing that characters are real would kill the curiosity to press on. Well, maybe not totally, because I'll go with .hack til the end, whether it be brutally awful, or absolutely fantastic. But anyways, what gives the success to a franchise is the wonder and mystery in any case. There will always be new elements to bring up, new twists, to futher develop new plotlines.

And who's to say that /every/one is an AI in //Link... that would just be bad. xD
we've only seen the major characters of past games, and perhaps, they are nothing but a memory to The World, because those major characters were such an impact on keeping The World alive.

Well, that's a weak theory, since i don't have much to say about it, but eh, AIs is not a bad thing. If the major characters of the past are to be a bigger focus than Tokio and Co., then I think Bandai has a problem. They should only be a small something to paint that bigger picture.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Maby you have a point about the characters being losers for wasting thare lives on a game put whuldent that put some people like us who have spent countless houers playing and talking about a game on foruks???
Well I don't know about you, but I spend an average of like, ten minutes a day on this place.
But I rather have the real characters cuz if u dident need the real people now then why not just have made the characters in all the games and shows and manga ais to. Cuz if u don't need the real character to fight the bad guy now why whuld you have ever needed him when you culd have just made ais.
No, you couldn't. Za Warudo does need real people due to it's nature, but it's also Za Warudo's nature to give birth to artificial intelligence.
I think the ai thing is a bad idea if tha gonna do that then they shuld not eaven make it am mmo this time and just have a bunch of ais in a computer system trying to revive a bunch of comatose ais.
You really don't understand this series, do you?
And who's to say that /every/one is an AI in //Link... that would just be bad. xD
we've only seen the major characters of past games, and perhaps, they are nothing but a memory to The World, because those major characters were such an impact on keeping The World alive.
Agreed. "Za Warudo remembers more than one might think, Haseo." --Ovan, from the third GU Novel.
SoraCross

Post by SoraCross »

crimsonxking wrote:I haven't really been following LINK at all. I read the first chapter, and I'll read the others eventually.
But I think it would be awesome if everyone turned out to be an AI. In my personal opinion, the AIs in .hack have always been a lot more interesting than the players. Besides maybe Tsukasa, Subaru, and Sora/Haseo.

Granted I know nothing about LINK, but this wouldn't be the first time AIs of old players popped up.
It would be a very interesting twist if the protagonist was am AI, but didn't know about it. Like if they had false memories of the outside world, and could for some unknown reason transcend the system's boundaries. However, I don't think they will do this because they already did that with Mia, and if what they did to her in G.U. is any indication of their feelings towards the character, they didn't really like her that much. Also, it would seem like a copy of Cloud Strife going through his "I'm a clone of Sephiroth!"/"I'm not a clone of Sephiroth!" stage.
Tsugasa-kun

Post by Tsugasa-kun »

If the players were AI's it'd also be used as a plot device, since we don't have to worry about the actual players existence, then we can focus more on the main character instead of the AI duplicates. Making them the actual players will demand character development for them and that may take away from the manga's original purpose