R:X Lost Grounds?

Discuss the multitude of .hack Manga and Novels!

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Re: R:X Lost Grounds?

Post by AuraTwilight »

Fragments.beta wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:
Fragments.beta wrote:I'm pretty sure the Cathedral will be there stay it's just too iconic for ,hack. It's pretty much the one Lost Ground thats present in nearly all .hack media. What I really want is that the Lost Grounds be more expansive, and not be some patch of ground with pretty visual effects. So far only the Land of Sins Ran Badhi has actually done that. The Morrigu Barrow wall for example would be great if we could walk the length of the wall instead of just standing on a platform overlooking the whole misty valley.
You want an area that literally takes you around all of Za Warudo?
Sure why not? Anything that gives a Lost Ground more than just a "zomg its purty" look.
An area of that size and magnitude would pretty much fry your PS2's CPU.
WeOfTheDark

Post by WeOfTheDark »

we, unfortunately, have not played the original .hack games all the way through.
we're still on INFECTION.
(yes, we DO know we suck.)
was Carmina Gadelica a root town?
and, if the original Mac Anu was made into a Lost Ground, is it possible that R:2's Mac Anu could be turned into a lost ground as well?
We also think it would be awesome if the other root towns became Lost Grounds.
OfTheTwilight

Post by OfTheTwilight »

I have the feeling it will be on a next gen console like the Xbox 360 or PS3, those things could handle an area that size.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

OfTheTwilight wrote:
I have the feeling it will be on a next gen console like the Xbox 360 or PS3, those things could handle an area that size.
no, they can't. Nothing man has built can handle a pre-rendered area THE CIRCUMFERENCE OF THE WHOLE GODDAMNED WORLD.
d0tti3

Post by d0tti3 »

Unless they're kind and make it something way better and more awesome than World of Warcraft. :3

Buuuuuut, since that's not happening anytime soon~~~
Lost Grounds: Of course the Hulle Granz will be there, but who knows what relevance it'll have considering that Aura's statue is gone, and GU didn't focus on the Epitaph of Twilight at all. I don't know that they'll go back to the Epitaph in any future stories. I actually liked that as a Skeleton to the first series. The mystery of it was nice.
MRcool2035

Post by MRcool2035 »

to be honest, i know absolutely nothing about //LINK or R:X, but i really hope they have lost grounds, mostly because i just got used to major revelations on the story to almost always get revealed in the lost grounds., and they do have that kind of atmosphere that is lacking in regular fields, it just wouldn't be .hack without lost grounds.
Nanshi
Location: Θ Hidden Forbidden Hades: Wailing Capital Wald Uberlisten

Post by Nanshi »

I wonder now that .hack//G.U. is done if they will make a game after LINK. It would be ironic,
but I think if they make as huge an improvement to the next series as they did between SIGN
and GU we may see something as cool as the lost grounds if they don't include them, regardless
of if they make a game for it.
Haseo{Terror of Death}
Protagonist
Location: "...in the rift between consciousness and unconsciousness of all souls..."

Post by Haseo{Terror of Death} »

No. they'll make a game and lost grounds, and hell add in something else too, like jumping! or Gondala riding in Mac Anu!
Nanshi
Location: Θ Hidden Forbidden Hades: Wailing Capital Wald Uberlisten

Post by Nanshi »

Oh yeah in all the hype I forgot we couldn't jump XD. Not that that mattered though since we were probably all caught up in what was going on with the ground. I mean between Pk hot spots...monsters....booby trapped treasure chests, chim chims, dopplegangers (oh my), and freakishly huge bosses, oh and steam bike catastrophes, who would think about jumping. :lol:
FallenDragon
Location: Lost In A Sea Of Thoughts...or falling asleep in front of the monitor

Post by FallenDragon »

Nanshi wrote:who would think about jumping. :lol:
...I did...:\

Anyway, I have no doubts Lost Grounds will appear sooner or later; maybe they'll add new ones to the list. And I'm pretty sure Hulle Granz Cathedral will make an appearance, and maybe, somehow it'll be connected with the plot.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

The Hulle Granz Cathedral must return. Think of how the story would mess up if they took it out.
shadow of skeith

Post by shadow of skeith »

zaseo wrote:The Hulle Granz Cathedral must return. Think of how the story would mess up if they took it out.
Well of course the Hulle Granz Cathedral will be back. In every single .hack// game and anime, this specific lost ground has had major events in the past. Azure Kite vs. Haseo, Kite recieving the bracelet for the first time, Tsukasa, Bear and Mimiru discuss Tsukasa's orgin there. Yeah, it's definitely comming back.
nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Post by nobodyknows »

If they have hulle granz it's fine by me... but I think they already have enough lost grounds besides 'the cathedral' =/... as for the jumping (dear god please let there be jumping =_='), gondola riding e.t.c... I think those should definitely get added into the game when it's made =D..
emptyazureskies

Post by emptyazureskies »

AuraTwilight wrote:
OfTheTwilight wrote:
no, they can't. Nothing man has built can handle a pre-rendered area THE CIRCUMFERENCE OF THE WHOLE GODDAMNED WORLD.
hmm... maybe they could kinda..... it would be nice to warp to a lost ground and then walk/climb/swim to the other lost grounds, or take a boat or something to all the cities, but to go monster hunting you would still have to use the chaos gates... that would be reasonable
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

emptyazureskies wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:no, they can't. Nothing man has built can handle a pre-rendered area THE CIRCUMFERENCE OF THE WHOLE GODDAMNED WORLD.
hmm... maybe they could kinda..... it would be nice to warp to a lost ground and then walk/climb/swim to the other lost grounds, or take a boat or something to all the cities, but to go monster hunting you would still have to use the chaos gates... that would be reasonable
Yea, that's NOWHERE CLOSE to the size I meant.
Altre

Post by Altre »

AT is literally talking about The World being the size it is in the story, super-giant-massive-bigger-than-shadow-of-colossus-parameters.
No current video-game system could handle that, unless you wanted to wait years for the game to load... if they could fit it on a disk.

Jumping! Swimming! Climbing! And other features that they do in the show and manga but not in the game's!
Even maybe Grunty riding with do-do bird input codes to make the Grunties fly! Wait... that's GTA...
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

A PS2 could easily handle it. It's called fog. The fields in the original games wrapped, they were essentially infinite, but this didn't break anything thanks to fog.
Twilisapien wrote:That would be cool if Carmina Gadelica became a lost ground... i mean it was really cool to be in,
Lanceor destroyed it. It's possible Lumina Cloth was built on the ruins, I don't know. It probably can't be a Lost Ground though, since it isn't relevant to the Epitaph and areas don't usually "become" Lost Grounds.
WeOfTheDark wrote:and, if the original Mac Anu was made into a Lost Ground, is it possible that R:2's Mac Anu could be turned into a lost ground as well?
We also think it would be awesome if the other root towns became Lost Grounds.
All three Mac Anu's are the same town. Unless the game introduces straight-up time travel it's not going to happen...
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

shadow-of-colossus
How big is Shadow fo Colossus? Haven't played the game, heh
The fields in the original games wrapped, they were essentially infinite, but this didn't break anything thanks to fog.
yea, but in the story and anime, it wasn't like mostly open space with structures scattered in random spots. If i remember one area in //SIGN it was a forest, and not just the kind of forest area in IMOQ
Altre

Post by Altre »

That's what I'm talking about, fields that don't infinitely loop. Maybe even traveling directly out of the towns by walking or boat or some other form of travel. The fields also being whole fields, with more features, more expanding towards the games boundaries. A PS2 couldn't handle that. Not with ALL of The Worlds features. The story takes place in a world where they have already mass produced systems (maybe just computers) with enough capacity to handle that. There are games today nearing The Worlds expanse that even top comps loaded with the best gear that can barely handle those games (my bro had a few and had to put every setting on each to the lowest and the game would still lag like a slug, his comp is worth about 30-40 thousand bucks).
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

The fact that the fields were looped is irrelevant. From the GPU's perspective, drawing an infinite, generated landscape like in the original games is just as hard as drawing a premade landscape a trillion miles in radius. From the CPU's perspective it might actually be a little harder, since it has to generate, rather than just read, the information to draw. The reason the size of the field has nothing to do with processing requirements is that you have a limited range of vision, just like in real life. The horizon is "fogged" and you can't see past it, meaning that the GPU doesn't have to worry about how large the level is, just how large your range of vision is. Obviously a PS2 couldn't handle the realistic level of minute detail seen in SIGN, but that's straying from the original statement. It *could* handle an elaborate pre-made landscape, and such a thing could probably fit on a DVD9. You actually can see all of The World from the top of Al Fadel, which is a special case, but that could employ a pre-rendered backdrop Final Fantasy-style.