R:X Lost Grounds?

Discuss the multitude of .hack Manga and Novels!

Moderator: Moderators

Keyaki

Re: R:X Lost Grounds?

Post by Keyaki »

Kuukai wrote:The fact that the fields were looped is irrelevant. From the GPU's perspective, drawing an infinite, generated landscape like in the original games is just as hard as drawing a premade landscape a trillion miles in radius. From the CPU's perspective it might actually be a little harder, since it has to generate, rather than just read, the information to draw. The reason the size of the field has nothing to do with processing requirements is that you have a limited range of vision, just like in real life. The horizon is "fogged" and you can't see past it, meaning that the GPU doesn't have to worry about how large the level is, just how large your range of vision is. Obviously a PS2 couldn't handle the realistic level of minute detail seen in SIGN, but that's straying from the original statement. It *could* handle an elaborate pre-made landscape, and such a thing could probably fit on a DVD9. You actually can see all of The World from the top of Al Fadel, which is a special case, but that could employ a pre-rendered backdrop Final Fantasy-style.
hmm, i get buts what a GPU? and DVD 9
Maybe even traveling directly out of the towns by walking or boat or some other form of travel.
Not sure about that, its said that all the Root Towns were sealed off by a barrier in the beginning to keep out all of th emonsters in the area from invdading and destroying the towns...................but I'm not sure if thats true or not

Ill look on .Hack/wikia when i get home
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Keyaki wrote:hmm, i get buts what a GPU? and DVD 9
Wikipedia explains them better than I could:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_processing_unit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD#DVD_capacity
Keyaki wrote:Not sure about that, its said that all the Root Towns were sealed off by a barrier in the beginning to keep out all of th emonsters in the area from invdading and destroying the towns...................but I'm not sure if thats true or not
I forget if that's confirmed somewhere besides the easter eggs. There certainly seems to be inter-city commerce and war, both which involve leaving...
Altre

Post by Altre »

There is supposed to be some sort of barrier, that's why you have to use the gates. I thought it would be neat to have, story line wise, a game maybe before the barriers were put up.

I mean to be off topic to say that without fogging the game, with no buts to it, that's a good bit of area for the PS2. That's with the advanced, detailed graphics, the little quirks and textures, and anything else I'm forgetting. That's not including items, character models, and whatever else they might shove into the game (no cutting corners). Maybe it is possible. But I'm imagining an exact replica of the show with maybe PS3 or 360 graphics and detail, maybe a terabyte worth (or more) of memory, and being processed with little to no lag that current gpus couldn't handle. With emphasis on "little to no lag". No fogging or other tricks to make processing it smooth. Detail may be hard to see from a distance, but the horizon isn't right there in my face, it's far off in the distance.

I might work if you made it exactly like the old ones, but the show didn't look anything like the games (old or new).
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

I forget if that's confirmed somewhere besides the easter eggs. There certainly seems to be inter-city commerce and war, both which involve leaving...
AI Buster; Albireo mentions it during the Monster Siege on Mac Anu, explaining why it's normally impossible for this to happen.
Altre

Post by Altre »

Somewhere in one of the games, it says why they made a barrier... or at least I thought so. They might say it more than once through out the media.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Well there you go, it's canon. You can still walk up to the barriers, though, I suppose.
Altre wrote:I mean to be off topic to say that without fogging the game, with no buts to it, that's a good bit of area for the PS2. That's with the advanced, detailed graphics, the little quirks and textures, and anything else I'm forgetting. That's not including items, character models, and whatever else they might shove into the game (no cutting corners). Maybe it is possible. But I'm imagining an exact replica of the show with maybe PS3 or 360 graphics and detail, maybe a terabyte worth (or more) of memory, and being processed with little to no lag that current gpus couldn't handle. With emphasis on "little to no lag". No fogging or other tricks to make processing it smooth. Detail may be hard to see from a distance, but the horizon isn't right there in my face, it's far off in the distance.
Again, that's not really what was originally said. In the anime The World looks pretty much photorealistic, there's going to be a problem doing that.
Altre

Post by Altre »

That's my point. Your point is correct as mine.

With the barrier thing, I wanted to see a game at a period in the timeline of the back story when there wasn't a wall, maybe you'd be in some sort of war with the monsters and the point of the game is to keep them out long enough for sorcerers or whoever to make the barriers and chaos gates. Of course the story would go deeper but you catch my drift.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

I thought it would be neat to have, story line wise, a game maybe before the barriers were put up.
uh...........not sure there was much going on in Za Warudo at that time, not root towns. Seems like when the barriers went tup thats when things started rolling
Altre

Post by Altre »

What would they have to defend other than a town with a barrier that shapes to the town? Unless they made a barrier in some random shape and build the town to it. That's not the point, it's a "what if" situation. I would like to see something like that...
|<!73

Post by |<!73 »

When spirit shield is broken it becomes an event and is announced over the official website. Personally I think that should be enough. Something about not wanting to find out how to get into the sky or walking endless fields just to get to a server. Though if its a little less than that I'm up for it. Even then though there would still be making areas differ from each other for the sanity effect. (A fusion of the two systems might be a little better. Mini connection, Chaos Gates, Fields. However, then that would mess the whole sever aspect.)
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Well, I was thinking about it, and Tartarga was basically an FF-style airship that could move anywhere in the game (it found Haseo in a desert field and brought him to Mac Anu), they just never gave you control. So I'd assume you'd want something like that...
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

it found Haseo in a desert field and brought him to Mac Anu
I think Pi said that when it found Haseo, he was in an area "outside" the game's servers

But that part was always alittle iffy
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

It was still a "desert field", I mean look at the damn place. Yea, it was outside of the normal parameters of the game, but it took the form of a desert.
Altre

Post by Altre »

An airship, that's nice. Yessssssss,this pleases me...
Tawalaya

Post by Tawalaya »

AuraTwilight wrote:It was still a "desert field", I mean look at the damn place. Yea, it was outside of the normal parameters of the game, but it took the form of a desert.
The fact that an area "outside the normal parameters" even TOOK form worries me quite a bit.

It's like there's "The Wold", which is the game, then outside the game there's something else, ALSO programmed. Like "The World" is just a door to access it. Not a game, but still a world mirroring that of "The World".

It wasn't even Netslum! Which is still considered that "in-between" place. -.-

That whole place Haseo was in still poses TONS of questions in my opinion. It's almost as if Harold Hoerwick had ths whole other world programmed into "The World"'s black box, and was never fully integrated with the rest of it and it just got lost as this lawless vast expanse of data.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

The fact that an area "outside the normal parameters" even TOOK form worries me quite a bit.

It's like there's "The Wold", which is the game, then outside the game there's something else, ALSO programmed. Like "The World" is just a door to access it. Not a game, but still a world mirroring that of "The World".

That whole place Haseo was in still poses TONS of questions in my opinion. It's almost as if Harold Hoerwick had ths whole other world programmed into "The World"'s black box, and was never fully integrated with the rest of it and it just got lost as this lawless vast expanse of data.
This is the same game where wireframes behind the game, normally inaccessable Lost Grounds and Creator Rooms, Cribs for Aura and Lairs for Morganna are perfectly rendered even though players are never supposed to visit them. This is nothing new or unusual, and it just goes to show just how much Harald was obsessed with his dream; either that, or the area was rendered as a psychic abstraction because it was being witnessed by a sentient being, like Haseo.
Tawalaya

Post by Tawalaya »

AuraTwilight wrote:

This is the same game where wireframes behind the game, normally inaccessable Lost Grounds and Creator Rooms, Cribs for Aura and Lairs for Morganna are perfectly rendered even though players are never supposed to visit them. This is nothing new or unusual, and it just goes to show just how much Harald was obsessed with his dream; either that, or the area was rendered as a psychic abstraction because it was being witnessed by a sentient being, like Haseo.
True, but there's no reason we can't be open to the possibility of that outside area being something that exists outisde the game, yet is somehow linked ot the game, right?

After all, he had to be linked to the game somehow if he was still logged into his character, correct? If his data went outside "The World" wouldn't he simply have been logged out and his terminal would've reset?
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

True, but there's no reason we can't be open to the possibility of that outside area being something that exists outisde the game, yet is somehow linked ot the game, right?
That's silly. Why the hell should we assume that without any reason to think so? It's not like the game isn't full of abnormal areas. Besides, Haseo's PC is there, so whatever area he's in has to work similar to Za Warudo, and if he's not there, then where the hell is he? Riot Gun?
After all, he had to be linked to the game somehow if he was still logged into his character, correct? If his data went outside "The World" wouldn't he simply have been logged out and his terminal would've reset?
Not necessarily, thanks to the wonky psionic metaphysics of .hack's universe.
Midori

Post by Midori »

I'd like to see the Lost Grounds make a return, but perhaps with a little more functionality. They've always been an oddity within "The World" but it was nice to see them implement some use, such as Coite-Bodher Battlefield when you used the Virus Cores to access Backtop City Megin Fi in G.U.

Perhaps in the third installment, we'll see them implement even more functionality from the Lost Grounds?
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Midori wrote:I'd like to see the Lost Grounds make a return, but perhaps with a little more functionality. They've always been an oddity within "The World" but it was nice to see them implement some use, such as Coite-Bodher Battlefield when you used the Virus Cores to access Backtop City Megin Fi in G.U.

Perhaps in the third installment, we'll see them implement even more functionality from the Lost Grounds?
The Lost Grounds were always there just for show, since they are in the backstory of R:2.

And I think that area in Coite-Bodher is probably an illegal area, i dunno why, i just do. Besides that place always made me "iffy" about, in ROOTs you needed, I think 8 virus cores to get to that other area on top of the dragon, but in Vol 2 Reminisice, you needed 8 Data Seeds :/