Any Ideas On The New Key Of Twilight?

Discuss the multitude of .hack Manga and Novels!

Moderator: Moderators

Samael

Re: Any Ideas On The New Key Of Twilight?

Post by Samael »

Well damn, there goes my theory of the Akashic Records being the black box. Iirc Albireo called the black box the Akashic Records in A.I. Hunter, but that was just a metaphor I s'pose.

But since that's out the window, I wanna say...new black box. Maybe a history of The World(R1, R2 and maybe even Fragment). Hence Akashic Records. And gaining access to it lets you become a new god(dess) of the world.

If it is like a history of The World, then since the Chrono Cores are the ways to access it, they let the holder tap into their personal history and bring back something from their past, even if it was black box worthy(like an Epitaph or a Twilight Bracelet). It could even be a medium for 'regular'(ie: non-chosen by an epitaph/Aura) player to access the blackbox.

And in turn, if they do this, the 'old them' takes over. Subaru had said Tsukasa had been weird recently, so maybe she returned to being early SIGN Tsukasa, as in, antisocial.

And in turn, it turns out Tokio can access anyone's record from the Akashic Record who has used the Chrono Core before him, hence why he did the ZOMGPWNED in that manga development.

And by being able to 'be' like all the heroes he respected, Tokio believes he's found his Key Of the Twilight, but imitation may be the sincerest form of the flattery, but a hero it does not make, and then he goes through a load of cd, discovers his own true abilities, which he doesn't steal off of the other Knights, and becomes a hero on his own, thus truly finding his true Key Of The Twilight. It could take the form of that nifty sword in the title. It could be something to do with that while he is a link to the past of The World, they must now focus on writing the future in the Records.

Plus it would explain Link, since the Records would be a link to the black box and Tokio would be 'linked' to the Records, and thus in turn all the other heroes.

Or, y'know, it could be some bs about time travel and changing history.

That's my 2p.
Ratsu

Post by Ratsu »

the world doesn't even follow the epitaph anymore >_>; maybe it wont even have a key, or the phases, or cubia, and the people at CC2 are all "Hey lets make it NOTHING like the others! That will get new people!"...then the next day a mob breaks in and kills them all for it >.>;;
Art_Master_Gio

Post by Art_Master_Gio »

Ratsu wrote:the world doesn't even follow the epitaph anymore >_>; maybe it wont even have a key, or the phases, or cubia, and the people at CC2 are all "Hey lets make it NOTHING like the others! That will get new people!"...then the next day a mob breaks in and kills them all for it >.>;;
o__O Ouch. . .

It's funny 'cause it's true. That's exactly what would happen if they ruined dot hack.
Ratsu

Post by Ratsu »

Art_Master_Gio wrote:
Ratsu wrote:the world doesn't even follow the epitaph anymore >_>; maybe it wont even have a key, or the phases, or cubia, and the people at CC2 are all "Hey lets make it NOTHING like the others! That will get new people!"...then the next day a mob breaks in and kills them all for it >.>;;
o__O Ouch. . .

It's funny 'cause it's true. That's exactly what would happen if they ruined dot hack.
Ied be more then happy yo lead the "revolution" XD
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Samael wrote:Well damn, there goes my theory of the Akashic Records being the black box. Iirc Albireo called the black box the Akashic Records in A.I. Hunter, but that was just a metaphor I s'pose.

But since that's out the window, I wanna say...new black box. Maybe a history of The World(R1, R2 and maybe even Fragment). Hence Akashic Records. And gaining access to it lets you become a new god(dess) of the world.

If it is like a history of The World, then since the Chrono Cores are the ways to access it, they let the holder tap into their personal history and bring back something from their past, even if it was black box worthy(like an Epitaph or a Twilight Bracelet). It could even be a medium for 'regular'(ie: non-chosen by an epitaph/Aura) player to access the blackbox.

And in turn, if they do this, the 'old them' takes over. Subaru had said Tsukasa had been weird recently, so maybe she returned to being early SIGN Tsukasa, as in, antisocial.

And in turn, it turns out Tokio can access anyone's record from the Akashic Record who has used the Chrono Core before him, hence why he did the ZOMGPWNED in that manga development.

And by being able to 'be' like all the heroes he respected, Tokio believes he's found his Key Of the Twilight, but imitation may be the sincerest form of the flattery, but a hero it does not make, and then he goes through a load of cd, discovers his own true abilities, which he doesn't steal off of the other Knights, and becomes a hero on his own, thus truly finding his true Key Of The Twilight. It could take the form of that nifty sword in the title. It could be something to do with that while he is a link to the past of The World, they must now focus on writing the future in the Records.

Plus it would explain Link, since the Records would be a link to the black box and Tokio would be 'linked' to the Records, and thus in turn all the other heroes.

Or, y'know, it could be some bs about time travel and changing history.

That's my 2p.
LISTEN TO THIS WOMAN!!!
the world doesn't even follow the epitaph anymore
Why do you say that?
Samael

Post by Samael »

I'm a guy.

Though I do appreciate the props on my theory. Thank you.

Also, a thought occurred,

'Gather in Acheron, o captives of Charon'

Both those relate to the Styx, with Acheron being a river in the real world supposedly connected to the styx and Charon being the boatman upon the styx. The styx itself is a river in the Greecian underworld.

I reckon that Schicksal are being led to their own doom. Maybe it doesn't matter who gathers the Chrono Cores, as they can only be used by a certain player or a certain person with a certain 'mysterious game'. The Chrono Cores are only on the move to lure Schicksal into the open.

This may even double as a way to test and prepare Tokio, to see if he is suited to being the one who can use the Chrono Cores, and the Schicksal are merely tools to temper him into the role.

SO in short, everybody's being manipulated. The Twilight Knights, into guarding the Cores(though they may be in on it, which would ALSO explain Tsukasa's strange behaviour, as he can't tell anyone, not even Subaru), Schicksal, into stealing the Cores, and Tokio, so that he may become the 'link' to the Akashic Records.

But this is another theory. I could be reading too far into a slight reference from Trilogy. Not all of .hack//'s mythological referances are used in context of the legends themselves after all.
Ratsu

Post by Ratsu »

Well AT the world doesn't seem to follow the epitaph to me because 1 the cursed wave isn't attacking every thing, 2 aura is born and wasn't she the end result of the epitaph? , Fidchells prophecy is no longer valid as there is no attacking wave, there is no queen of dark, nor king of light, almost none of the roles are in the epitaph anymore, and there is no twilight dragon. It seems to me that this new .hack is sorta Players against players and the story of it not the story of the epitaph like the first four games were, and to an extent G.U.

...wow....thats not crazy sounding at all? I must be getting to old to be a conspiracy nut.
Art_Master_Gio

Post by Art_Master_Gio »

Samael wrote:I'm a guy.

Though I do appreciate the props on my theory. Thank you.

Also, a thought occurred,

Both those relate to the Styx, with Acheron being a river in the real world supposedly connected to the styx and Charon being the boatman upon the styx. The styx itself is a river in the Greecian underworld.

I reckon that Schicksal are being led to their own doom. Maybe it doesn't matter who gathers the Chrono Cores, as they can only be used by a certain player or a certain person with a certain 'mysterious game'. The Chrono Cores are only on the move to lure Schicksal into the open.

This may even double as a way to test and prepare Tokio, to see if he is suited to being the one who can use the Chrono Cores, and the Schicksal are merely tools to temper him into the role.

SO in short, everybody's being manipulated. The Twilight Knights, into guarding the Cores(though they may be in on it, which would ALSO explain Tsukasa's strange behaviour, as he can't tell anyone, not even Subaru), Schicksal, into stealing the Cores, and Tokio, so that he may become the 'link' to the Akashic Records.

But this is another theory. I could be reading too far into a slight reference from Trilogy. Not all of .hack//'s mythological referances are used in context of the legends themselves after all.
I frickin' love that, especially the part about Tokio being the "LINK" to the Akashic records.

A theory of mine was that Acheron was another lost ground, but that probably isn't true ^^;;
Samael

Post by Samael »

It could be, some others take their name from mythology.

My issue with it being someplace actually in-game is most(if not all) of the in-game mythological references are based off of celtic/pagan culture, whereas Acheron and Charon are Greek in nature.

So I figure it's a metaphor being used by the character(and thus the writers) to be 'mysterious' or 'poetic' or 'the usual for .hack'

And thus my interpretation.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

I'm a guy.
If I say you're a woman, you're a woman. Ho.

UREGHLK! *messes self*

Dammit, stop being super f*cking awesome, that's MY job.
Well AT the world doesn't seem to follow the epitaph to me because 1 the cursed wave isn't attacking every thing, 2 aura is born and wasn't she the end result of the epitaph? , Fidchells prophecy is no longer valid as there is no attacking wave, there is no queen of dark, nor king of light, almost none of the roles are in the epitaph anymore, and there is no twilight dragon. It seems to me that this new .hack is sorta Players against players and the story of it not the story of the epitaph like the first four games were, and to an extent G.U.

...wow....thats not crazy sounding at all? I must be getting to old to be a conspiracy nut.
First of all, Aura was never in the Epitaph to begin with, and secondly, Fidchell made a prophecy in GU quoted directly from the Epitaph in reference to Ovan and the Rebirth. The Epitaph may not FULLY apply, but it never did anyway. Only in parts.
A theory of mine was that Acheron was another lost ground, but that probably isn't true ^^;;
I was thing that too. What if it's a Lost Ground where the Chrono Cores need to be used?
My issue with it being someplace actually in-game is most(if not all) of the in-game mythological references are based off of celtic/pagan culture, whereas Acheron and Charon are Greek in nature.
Well, this version of Za Warudo does seem to have been designed by Jyotaro. Stupid ass pyro.
Art_Master_Gio

Post by Art_Master_Gio »

I was thing that too. What if it's a Lost Ground where the Chrono Cores need to be used?
If the cores link to the Akashic records, I'd think the area would be more Hindu-like (since akashic is sanskrit), either that or the area would be alchemical in nature since sometimes chrono is referred to as an alchemical element. I guess Acheron would still work for the alchemical area depending on how they made it look (I wouldn't expect to see an asian mythilogical area as a Lost Ground).

OH! AT, you had a theory in the topic for the new novel that Emma was clairvoyent. In the wikipedia article for the Akashic Records it mentions that the records made clairvoyence possible, so maybe that could be somehing to help support that theory.
Last edited by Art_Master_Gio on Fri May 02, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samael

Post by Samael »

Samael did four fallen angels of prostitution AND Lilith

I am most certainly male.

Also, I have no breasts. I fail to see why I should be turned female if I don't get the best part.

And I am not in any scenario with a best female childhood friend who always had feelings for me or is a closet lesbian, a girl who is single and I like yet am too shy to admit my feelings for, a perverted old male teacher, or a near identical in every way except she's female twin. Thus, I cannot have wacky hijinks. If I'm going to be made into a woman, I WANT WACKY HIJINKS.

And it's not just in-game stuff. Even the Epitaph stuff borrows from celtic/pagan mythology, the only one I know off of the top of my head is that Skeith is a pagan god of Shadows. But I do recall most of it being pagan and celtic.

BUT then again the Akashic Records are hindu. So that's my 'evidence' completely and utterly screwed.

I guess something just bugs me about the fact it's a mysterious character being mysterious and saying something mysterious. In those scenarios, be it .hack or anything else, face value IS NOT face value.

Also, don't Lost Grounds usually have more epic/long names than Acheron?

BUT if it is the place where the Akashic Records are opened, then it still makes sense. Acheron is the river that connects the human world to the underworld, so if it's a Lost Ground, then it would work that through the Chrono Cores they open up the gate at Acheron that leads to the Akashic Records...since the Akashic Records may be record of everything that has happened that effectively makes it an underworld, where everything that has been lost continues to exist in some form or another.

But tbh I still prefer my metaphor for everyone being controlled and Schicksal being led to their own demise by potentially Captain Pyro Hasahawtsister McCrazyPants
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

OH! AT, you had a theory in the topic for the new novel that Emma was clairvoyent. In the wikipedia article for the Akashic Records it mentions that the records made clairvoyence possible, so maybe that could be somehing to help support that theory.
I forgot about that.

HA HA F*CK YOU ALL! I rule.
Samael did four fallen angels of prostitution AND Lilith
Samael is also genderless and bisexual.
And I am not in any scenario with a best female childhood friend who always had feelings for me or is a closet lesbian, a girl who is single and I like yet am too shy to admit my feelings for, a perverted old male teacher, or a near identical in every way except she's female twin. Thus, I cannot have wacky hijinks. If I'm going to be made into a woman, I WANT WACKY HIJINKS.
You're the hottest lesbians I've ever seen on the internet.
Also, don't Lost Grounds usually have more epic/long names than Acheron?
The full name could be longer, just like Hulle Granze Cathedral is often called "The church"
xthform22

Post by xthform22 »

okay for anyone who has seen .hack//roots OVA i think AIDA i dont know just a random idea it has to have somthing to do with AIs...
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

That was just a good AIDA in the OVA, an AIDA in every way except it's not harmful to people and just wishes to learn in a 'peaceful' way.
Perhaps that AIDA will return in LINK as good AIs, more evolved to actually speak human-like and have well physical forms (though digital)? Even if R:X doesn't carries data from R:2, they exist more throughout the internet than in The World specifically.
Twilisapien

Post by Twilisapien »

hm

that would be cool if the key of the twilight manifested itself into the REAL WORLD just like the old virus and morgonna used to try to do

or that would be cool if the main characters had to team up with some character data resembling cubia
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Even if R:X doesn't carries data from R:2, they exist more throughout the internet than in The World specifically.
Not anymore. To survive the Rebirth, the good AIDA had to integrate with Za Warudo and become part of it like the other AIs.
that would be cool if the key of the twilight manifested itself into the REAL WORLD just like the old virus and morgonna used to try to do
NO!
Starman

Post by Starman »

Great ideas, Samael. Pardon the intrusion, but I'd like to add my thoughts to the discussion.
Samael wrote: But since that's out the window, I wanna say...new black box. Maybe a history of The World(R1, R2 and maybe even Fragment). Hence Akashic Records. And gaining access to it lets you become a new god(dess) of the world.
Considering that it does appear, for all intents and purposes that Amagi built R:X, this is probably the best explanation for the Akashic Records. In Hindu mythology, the Akashic Records, containing the sum total of human experience and knowledge, pretty much grant enlightenment to those who gain access to it. In other words, it allows god-like knowledge to those who read it, so yeah, it's pretty much a given that whoever accesses our R:X Akashic Records gains god-like power. I originally thought that the Akashic Records were part of the black box in that, in their mythological equivalent gathers all human thoughts, experiences, etc., and records them. This seemed similar to the World's recording of persona data to me, so I assumed that the Akashic Records were a term for the World's information gathering system for the development of Aura. As is obvious, I was wrong though.

Anyway, your idea about Schicksal's doom is also very interesting. As Schicksal's name means "destiny", it would be delicious irony if they thought that they were bringing about a new future for the world, a new destiny, but were only being led to their own, inevitable end. I wonder then, who would be doing the manipulating. The obvious answer, from Trilogy, is Pi and the mysterious man she talks to. I'm curious about the "true leader" of Schicksal, though, as well. As is probably obvious, it could possibly be the mysterious man. Anyway, since we don't know who both are and their identities have been kept from us, the readers, it has to be a returning character or a character from LINK that has already been introduced.
Samael wrote: BUT then again the Akashic Records are hindu. So that's my 'evidence' completely and utterly screwed.
I don't think that fact is any problem to your theory. To me, at least, dot hack seems like it draws from the mythologies that evolved from the Proto-Indo-European religions. These were the sources of the Celtic, Germanic, Greek, Norse, and Hindu mythologies. so I don't see why a reference from Hindu mythology would be any reason to cast any doubt on your theory. We've seen plenty of references to Celtic mythology, as is obvious, and also Norse and Germanic mythology, in allusions to Ring of the Nibelung and etc. I believe there also Greek elements as well. Hindu mythology seems a natural extension to me, then.