hey does anyone ever get freaked out while playing .hack

Discuss the original .hack video games: Vol. 1 and 2

Moderator: Moderators

Other Self

Re: hey does anyone ever get freaked out while playing .hack

Post by Other Self »

sinikui wrote:I fighting those Menhir or any version of them. It suck when you have to fight like 3 or more of them at a time and when I die after getting ambushed.
just protect break them then data drain them.

or if you cant try to kill them all at once
Jaku

Post by Jaku »

Considering the fact that ive only played INFECTION so far ( i could never find the others until recently ) i was freaked out when the battle with Skeith began, along with what im guessing is another Phase that you see AFTER beating Skeith.

I thought i had to fight it and was scared and pumped up thinkin OH YEA BIG GAME HUNTING....then i got teleported.... my face when that happened -----> -___-
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

I thought i had to fight it and was scared and pumped up thinkin OH YEA BIG GAME HUNTING....then i got teleported.... my face when that happened -----> -___-
You would've lost anyways. Plus there was no purpose to fight it just yet :3 lol
Jaku

Post by Jaku »

heheh yea i know i woulda died but i mean theres always a lupehole that will give you an advantage heheh.

On the other hand, after the adrenaline from seeing it for a few seconds wore off i was holding the stick back ready to run away and start zig zagging hoping it would make me harder to hit XD
Azure Knight
The Sasquatch King
The Sasquatch King

Post by Azure Knight »

Jaku wrote: what im guessing is another Phase that you see AFTER beating Skeith.
Are you referring to Cubia?

I actually always freak out about two boss battles in a row, since I go to such lengths to beat the first boss, I don't want to lose to the second and have to do it all over again...

Off-Topic: I just read the first post I made in this topic about a year ago... epic grammar failure...
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

I actually always freak out about two boss battles in a row, since I go to such lengths to beat the first boss, I don't want to lose to the second and have to do it all over again...
That's what made me freak out by the end of Quarantine...i won't spoil for others, but you only have a small pause to fight 2 very insane bosses that in truth end up like fighting against 5, and after going through one of the hardest dungeons in the game. Though i'd have preferred if there was no "pause" and your last Save Point was before entering the dungeon...now that's a final battle and now you HAVE to be the MOST prepared XD
Off-Topic: I just read the first post I made in this topic about a year ago... epic grammar failure...
Actually, you did type that post quite good and understandable, and you followed basic "writing" rules like caps and those ' thingies. You had (and now obviously have) a better grammar than several other members in here, and DEFINETLY better than mine when i was 14-15 years old XD
Azure Knight
The Sasquatch King
The Sasquatch King

Post by Azure Knight »

TheSorrow wrote:
That's what made me freak out by the end of Quarantine...i won't spoil for others, but you only have a small pause to fight 2 very insane bosses that in truth end up like fighting against 5, and after going through one of the hardest dungeons in the game. Though i'd have preferred if there was no "pause" and your last Save Point was before entering the dungeon...now that's a final battle and now you HAVE to be the MOST prepared XD

Oh ****.
TheSorrow wrote:
Actually, you did type that post quite good and understandable, and you followed basic "writing" rules like caps and those ' thingies. You had (and now obviously have) a better grammar than several other members in here, and DEFINETLY better than mine when i was 14-15 years old XD
It was more about the wording I used. Like, "I had also scared".
shadowstalker

Re:

Post by shadowstalker »

sarxous wrote:http://www.vrealities.com/vrealviewer3d.html :D Can you say "Awesome beyond compare." (We just need one with awesome resolution)
I really was'nt freaked out until i saw the guardian in the dungeons and then the prices on this device.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I actually stopped playing IMOQ because I couldn't stand parts of the game that just completely and utterly got to me.

1. Corrupted areas. They make me immensely nervous whenever I go through them... especially with the graphics stripped away and the noise on the screen.

2. Fleshwall dungeons. I'm not sure if there's ANYONE that likes those dratted places... and I hate that they're the only kind of dungeon you can find in desert fields, because those are my favorite fields. XD

3. Most Phase fights. The first time I fought Skeith in INFECTION, I was at level 28, and I think I'd literally almost/already Protect Broken and Data Drained by the time he beat me up. After that, I was nervous to fight Skeith in every subsequent INFECTION playthrough. Innis, Magus and Fidchell were all a cinch, though for Fidchell it was because I was at max level. XD

4. The point I'm at now in QUARANTINE. It's sometime before the Macha fight, and I'm trying to overlevel for future Phase fights and the monsters are a COMPLETE pain in the ass. I'm also worried that Macha, purportedly one of the hardest Phases, is just going to jump out at me completely randomly and unexpectedly. XD

Oh, and one more thing: enemy ambushes in fields. It's also why fighting Doppelganger in G.U. freaks me out so damn much - I never know when he's gonna pop up in my face. D:
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:I actually stopped playing IMOQ because I couldn't stand parts of the game that just completely and utterly got to me.

1. Corrupted areas. They make me immensely nervous whenever I go through them... especially with the graphics stripped away and the noise on the screen.

2. Fleshwall dungeons. I'm not sure if there's ANYONE that likes those dratted places... and I hate that they're the only kind of dungeon you can find in desert fields, because those are my favorite fields. XD

3. Most Phase fights. The first time I fought Skeith in INFECTION, I was at level 28, and I think I'd literally almost/already Protect Broken and Data Drained by the time he beat me up. After that, I was nervous to fight Skeith in every subsequent INFECTION playthrough. Innis, Magus and Fidchell were all a cinch, though for Fidchell it was because I was at max level. XD

4. The point I'm at now in QUARANTINE. It's sometime before the Macha fight, and I'm trying to overlevel for future Phase fights and the monsters are a COMPLETE pain in the ass. I'm also worried that Macha, purportedly one of the hardest Phases, is just going to jump out at me completely randomly and unexpectedly. XD

Oh, and one more thing: enemy ambushes in fields. It's also why fighting Doppelganger in G.U. freaks me out so damn much - I never know when he's gonna pop up in my face. D:
Damn...apart from the fleshy dungeons which i don't either love or hate (and more hate than love, honestly), those are most of the reasons why IMOQ is so awesome and superior to GU D: The corrupted areas were so awesome, and that feeling it gives of going through "some place that defies the systems and anything could happen" was unique and great to have (something GU lacked COMPLETELY), Phase battles are very awesome and quite challenging no matter the level...and, i won't recommend you to overlevel against Macha, for the reason why she's very hard is only because of her always-hitting Charm-All attack, in which all the people who either overlevelled and/or weren't prepared for the charming would easily lose XD But that's all the reason why Macha is hard, the rest of her attacks aren't that strong or insane :P Hard Phases are Skeith and Gorre, which are so darn fast and every attack pretty much meant a party member dead, so if you were able to beat them, you're able to finish the game XD (Tarvos can be hard too...but, he's one of the last bosses so by then he's quite predictable, and he is very slow overall)

And enemy ambushes were great in both good and bad ways, and Doppel will NEVER ambush you like that. First, it takes a long time for him to appear, even if you're messing around the field aimlessly. Then once he does, the game will warn you of it with a red arrow, and eventually, a message of "Encountered Doppelganger" (which PAUSES the game), so it won't be an "ambush" anymore and you have plenty of time to walk away or prepare yourself. And even if you got into an unwanted fight, a Smoke Screen will solve all your problems. And in IMOQ...while you're too busy poking grunty food, you'll suddenly start getting raped by Liches casting spells all over you, with no absolute warnings except a change in music and screen, but by the time you notice the changes, it'll be too late already XD
Last edited by TheSorrow on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Gorre was a freaking cinch, though. I don't understand why people say he's hard. (and tbh, most of the enemies in QUARANTINE are more difficult than Skeith.)

And yes, most of those reasons were the same ones I preferred G.U. over IMOQ. ._. I hate difficult creepy games, personally. That's probably why I never beat QUARANTINE.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:Gorre was a freaking cinch, though. I don't understand why people say he's hard. (and tbh, most of the enemies in QUARANTINE are more difficult than Skeith.)

And yes, most of those reasons were the same ones I preferred G.U. over IMOQ. ._. I hate difficult creepy games, personally. That's probably why I never beat QUARANTINE.
I don't know what cinch is, but Gorre was freaking hard because of his DEADLY attacks, his speed and ability to do two attacks in a row (some spell + spinning doom thing or flame thing = death to up to 2 party members), and because you had to keep track of which part of Gorre you were attacking...and he wouldn't exactly move slow either. Not like he's THAT hard, but to me he's at the same difficult of Skeith...and yes, some enemies in Quarantine are harder than Skeith, but mostly because you fight like 3 of them at once and they support each other darn well. But try fighting 3 Skeith's at once and then see who is actually harder than who XD

And IMOQ isn't a difficult nor a creepy game, but i understand what you mean D:
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Eh, I dunno... I didn't have much trouble with Gorre. It might've been the simple fact that I was overleveled (as usual) at the time I fought him. But to me, Skeith has been the hardest Phase so far. Seeing as I have yet to fight Macha, that might change in the near future. XD

I dunno, QUARANTINE is pretty hard, if only for the aforementioned pesky enemies. >.< And it's definitely creepy to me - I've actually been unable to sleep some nights because of events that happened while I was playing the game, mostly involving corrupt zones and/or fleshwall dungeons.
hidora

Post by hidora »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:1. Corrupted areas. They make me immensely nervous whenever I go through them... especially with the graphics stripped away and the noise on the screen.
Well, the corrupted cities are somewhat annoying, but the corrupted areas had something that made me feel cautious like something will happen all of a sudden. I missed these in G.U. =/
GyppyGirl2021 wrote:2. Fleshwall dungeons. I'm not sure if there's ANYONE that likes those dratted places... and I hate that they're the only kind of dungeon you can find in desert fields, because those are my favorite fields. XD
Same here. I love desert fields, but hate fleshwall dungeons... This was one of the only 3 things I didn't like in IMOQ.
The other two were the "go collect some A, B, and C virus cores from some weak monsters that die in one hit" thing in Quarantine and the double magic of that damn The Bracelet monster D:
GyppyGirl2021 wrote:Oh, and one more thing: enemy ambushes in fields. It's also why fighting Doppelganger in G.U. freaks me out so damn much - I never know when he's gonna pop up in my face. D:
That's really annoying, though if you're cautious enough you won't have much problems (and a speed charm/talisman always helps in fields :D), and sending an ally to be a suicidal target sometimes gives you a chance to run :P
Vorbei

Post by Vorbei »

The first time around, I got plenty on-edge.

Any of those lush grassland fields with the bugs floating in the water, for a mild start. I rather dislike bugs, so..

The statues in the wastelands were kind of creepy, too. I don't remember it quite so well these years later, but I remember it being kind of creepy and depressing as I started thinking about what the situations were with those statue people.

The pendulums in the castle wall dungeons used to be a nice moment for me, and I could almost imagine myself leaning over the railing to get a better look at them with a weird expression on my face, drawling "Coooool!".
But after seeing a few horror movies with pendulums in them, I shudder and keep close to the center of the path whenever I see them, then grip at my stomach which suddenly feels pained from remembering said horror movies.

The music in stone wall dungeons at all kept me very on-edge and jumpy. Whenever I'd stop and wait to heal SP back, I'd always look around uneasily as if something was going to happen. I did this with a lot of infected dungeons or fields as well, but just the stone wall dungeons as a whole did that to me.

I still feel a bit uneasy in the forest fields when I get one with a blood-red sky and hazy brown fog... like the forest is definitely watching me and waiting for me to let my guard down.

And living wall dungeons.. oh gods. While they aren't actually that scary for me since the whole .hack// series started with one (Tsukasa), they did give me a very weird feeling. Since they're without a normal BGM, I grew aware of a ringing sound that kind of made my head hurt after a while. After reading up on pitches, I thought this was the safe stand-in for A in C major scale. (Since the real one actually would cause some harm-- but wasn't the stand-in the tuning fork sound?) I feel very nervous whenever I hear this sound now.

Speaking of, I feel nervous whenever I hear the tuning fork sound. Since I associate it with unpleasant events within the .hack// series, I started to associate it with general unpleasantness and become alarmed.

There is one exceptionally spooky (by IMOQ's standards) area word I came across in search for acceptable area words to use in a fanfic.
Delta: Soft Smiling Remnant
Only on Infection, though. The dungeon changes a bit in other volumes. In vol1, the walls pulsate inwards in a manner that feels like they're closing in more and more, and the field is dark with lots of random encounters.
All in all, perfect for Halloween time. Hehe.
emptyazureskies

Post by emptyazureskies »

the aliens creeped me out and then u data drain them and they fly around in the UFOs zapping u doing great damage and they are level 0. how the hell does that happen... and the defense on those bastards, no one hit kill like the others. also the stories of the statues that guard golden eggs and treasure boxes coming to life... pretty sure one did at the end of mutation right before u get to net slum

edit: also on beating the resurrecting monsters if u don't data drain u can defeat them all at once or one then the other then back or u can defeat one and if an ally is using a skill or something there is a time delay when that monster can't resurrect when your ally or u uses a skill and if the monster disappears completely or turns into treasure that monster can not be resurrected
hidora

Post by hidora »

emptyazureskies wrote:the aliens creeped me out and then u data drain them and they fly around in the UFOs zapping u doing great damage and they are level 0. how the hell does that happen... and the defense on those bastards, no one hit kill like the others.
You think THAT's strange?
Try Data Draining a monster called The Guardian and then you'll regret it if you aren't prepared...
After you DD The Guardian (a Lv75ish monster IIRC), it becomes The Bracelet, a Lv99 monster with some high-level spells, high Atk/Def/Mag Atk/Mag Def, and 4000+HP (though The Guardian had more HP) that sometimes get to cast two spells at the same time, (the latter usually being followed up by a "WTF?!" from the player).
THAT's what creeped me out when I first saw it ¬¬
emptyazureskies wrote:edit: also on beating the resurrecting monsters if u don't data drain u can defeat them all at once or one then the other then back or u can defeat one and if an ally is using a skill or something there is a time delay when that monster can't resurrect when your ally or u uses a skill and if the monster disappears completely or turns into treasure that monster can not be resurrected
Wut?
emptyazureskies

Post by emptyazureskies »

i know the aliens were worse in my eyes after realizing how much of a pain the aliens were i was over prepared on guardians...

its true use staccatto on a ressurecting monster while blackrose uses ani drive or something she kills the first ressurecting and your staccatto stuns the other so it can't use rip maen to bring it back and when the one blackrose killed turns into a treasure chest it can not be revived... it takes a while to get the timing down but it does work
hidora

Post by hidora »

Ah, now I get it...

Yeah, it happened to me once, but I don't like letting alive those monsters that can revive their allies, so I had forgotten about it :P

It's hard to understand when you do a 3 lines paragraph without commas or dots D:
Takai Tenshi

Post by Takai Tenshi »

the first time I ever played, i was younger, and Aura scared the living S#%T outta me.
I couldn't pick up the controller for weeks

is that sad?