Re: Rekindled love for .hack

Post by netslums »

My order is:

1.) G.U.
2.) IMOQ
3.) LINK
4.) Fragment

:)

HOWEVER!!!!!!!! When it comes to "story".....IMOQ will always be my favorite. G.U. just has better gameplay, sure you could argue this point, but you wouldn't get very far before realizing that you're wrong. As for LINK...who knows, i'm interested and i will definitely play it, but as of now, I've never played it, so i cant make any accusations, i'm just excited to play another .hack game.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

...I actually don't mind IMOQ, I just think that QUARANTINE is incredibly stupid hard at some points. :P

I do plan to beat it when I can get up the motivation to go Virus Core hunting...
netslums

Post by netslums »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:...I actually don't mind IMOQ, I just think that QUARANTINE is incredibly stupid hard at some points. :P

I do plan to beat it when I can get up the motivation to go Virus Core hunting...
The worst part of Quarantine is the end, where the dungeon is like 20 floors and every monster is a bug that must be data drained. By the time i get to floor 5, Kite is flipping out from Data Drain side effects. :-x
Smitts

Post by Smitts »

netslums wrote:
GyppyGirl2021 wrote:...I actually don't mind IMOQ, I just think that QUARANTINE is incredibly stupid hard at some points. :P

The worst part of Quarantine is the end, where the dungeon is like 20 floors and every monster is a bug that must be data drained. By the time i get to floor 5, Kite is flipping out from Data Drain side effects. :-x
Very rarely is there not one that is a bug monster, ha ha.
I'm still mad at the fact this girl stole my memory card around 3 years ago because I wasn't attracted to her.

I was around 9 items away from having done the item completion list and completing everything in the game.

Now, since then. i've only made it to volume 2.
Mainly due to being busy a lot. I'll get back around to it again.
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

G.U. gameplay is far too boring for me. I liked the awakenings just because I liked trying to get to 100. I think the highest I got was 99.. don't remember if I ever got 100. I admit the Avatar battles were fun, but the normal fights were so boring.

If you play IMOQ by just running up and pressing X, then yea its boring. If you go in over your head and control your allies commands and have to worry about getting two shotted before you can press the menu button, its way more fun than G.U.

Virus hunting is easy. I beat Quarantine in a couple of days very recently. Virus hunting does rely a little on luck, but really if you just turn off the data drain animation and have a good memory of what enemies spawn where, then its cake.

The most floors a dungeon has is 10, and thats the last dungeon. Unless you count Mia's dungeon which is I think 15?

And to TheSorrow. I think the opposite. I think its G.U. fans that don't like Link because it doesn't have the same style as G.U., besides even more furries. But they are nice furries, not double d ones.
Advent_Winter

Post by Advent_Winter »

Umm...yeah.
1. Virus Core hunting sucks.
2. G.U. gameplay was sweet, but ridiculously easy.
3. IMOQ was more compact and organized in terms of story.
4. IMOQ's level of difficulty was quite enjoyable. Easy at some parts. Ridiculously hard at others.
netslums

Post by netslums »

Alright, i cant listen to you people anymore, youre all making me want to play .hack so bad right now! Its too late now though........oh well, tomorrow will be fine. I think i enjoyed G.U. gameplay more than IMOQs because there were various types of weapons and battle styles. The avatar battles were refreshing, and it was nice to finally use a weapon besides twin blades, PLUS!, you have to admit the guns in the third game were pretty sweet. :)
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

I dunno, I've been practically following the series from the start and I'm looking forward to LINK.
In terms of gameplay, I think IMOQ is better than G.U. It requires more strategy; G.U. was far too easy, really.

Also, Quarantine has a great ending and anyone who's gotten through the other three should be required to truck through the last one. I know some people who stopped after Outbreak, which just breaks my little fangirl heart.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

And to TheSorrow. I think the opposite. I think its G.U. fans that don't like Link because it doesn't have the same style as G.U., besides even more furries. But they are nice furries, not double d ones.
Actually, it has the same style as GU, with the Rengekis and combo attacks and all that. If you liked GU because of how action-paced it was, then at least in gameplay terms, you should be looking forward to LINK since it's the same except with even more action, more epic boss battles, and overall lots of fun at button pressing. Instead, if you liked IMOQ, it's more logical to think you'd be disappointed by the turn the series have had, from a mysterious MMO with so many secrets behind, and solving all the mysteries while still being inside the MMO where anything could happen at any time that was out of the "system", to an...action game, with lots of battles and "epic" stuff, that after a while you realize they happen on a mysterious MMO, but it doesn't matter if you think about it or not. I did like GU and i'm still going to like LINK anyhow, especially since it proves to be as difficult as IMOQ or more...but this isn't just the series i loved years ago D:
And that's when you learn to play an actually difficult game and being very cautious on everything, leaving it all to luck but also trying to leave it to luck at least as possible D: It's VERY difficult, but also very fun and would have you on the edge through all the floors, which is an amazing feeling to have in a game. Also, considering it's the last dungeon adds to the awesomeness, and you can be sure you're now facing the hardest part in the game, and when done, you'll be done with it. And yes, it's the very last part of ALL the game series indeed...by then, you should already know how to get rid of tolerances for easier DDing, what attacks work best and fastest, and that by defeating enemies with Kite it decreases his infection rate; it's just a full test of your skill and knowledge, with some luck to increase the difficult even more. I'd rather have that dungeon than the annoying yet easy Forest of Pain, which you can finish in 15 min if you're fast enough...maybe less, actually.
1. Virus Core hunting sucks.
Not when you travel around areas on your own, whether to train or get items, or just because you felt like it. I ONLY had to backtrack once in the whole game for virus core hunting, and it was in Rebirth...apart from that, i already had all needed cores from the training i'd do constantly (and still remain at a relatively low level XD). And that's a part i disliked about GU...because if you go and do that, you'll end up like 4 levels higher than average, and the rest of the game will then be so freaking easy for you :/
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I'll be honest, if given a choice between inane ease and inane difficulty, I'll go with the former. I couldn't stand QUARANTINE because of its ridiculous difficulty level.

And I honestly don't get how IMOQ's gameplay is better than G.U.'s - if I want to play a strategy game, I'll play Fire Emblem. If I want to play a real-time strategy game, I'll play Warcraft. The one thing I'll give IMOQ is that it felt more MMORPG-ish, but probably would've felt moreso if it didn't pause the game when you opened the menu. I'm a sucker for realism.
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

TheSorrow wrote: Actually, it has the same style as GU, with the Rengekis and combo attacks and all that. If you liked GU because of how action-paced it was, then at least in gameplay terms, you should be looking forward to LINK since it's the same except with even more action, more epic boss battles, and overall lots of fun at button pressing. Instead, if you liked IMOQ, it's more logical to think you'd be disappointed by the turn the series have had, from a mysterious MMO with so many secrets behind, and solving all the mysteries while still being inside the MMO where anything could happen at any time that was out of the "system", to an...action game, with lots of battles and "epic" stuff, that after a while you realize they happen on a mysterious MMO, but it doesn't matter if you think about it or not. I did like GU and i'm still going to like LINK anyhow, especially since it proves to be as difficult as IMOQ or more...but this isn't just the series i loved years ago D:
I meant graphics and design wise. No new boys in black leather belts, double d furries, or hardcore badasses riding motorcycles. Not gameplay. Oh, lets not forget because it isn't on the PS3 its not being all it can be, in G.U. fans eyes. Least thats how it seems to me.

Also.. difficulty? Is there another set of IMOQ games I'm not familiar with?
netslums

Post by netslums »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:I'll be honest, if given a choice between inane ease and inane difficulty, I'll go with the former. I couldn't stand QUARANTINE because of its ridiculous difficulty level.
Thank you!
I'm not saying that Quarantine is unbeatable, (obvious since I've beaten it twice) but the fact that it is INSANELY more difficult than IMO makes it less enjoyable. It's simply "refreshing" to have an easier more action packed style like G.U. This is why i'm excited for LINK, plus LINK is the final piece of the puzzle. A real .hack fan should be freaking out about the idea of a final game, i know i am. I'm sure that LINK will have lots of nice easter eggs and stuff for all the .hack fans out there.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

netslums wrote:
GyppyGirl2021 wrote:I'll be honest, if given a choice between inane ease and inane difficulty, I'll go with the former. I couldn't stand QUARANTINE because of its ridiculous difficulty level.
Thank you!
I'm not saying that Quarantine is unbeatable, (obvious since I've beaten it twice) but the fact that it is INSANELY more difficult than IMO makes it less enjoyable. It's simply "refreshing" to have an easier more action packed style like G.U. This is why i'm excited for LINK, plus LINK is the final piece of the puzzle. A real .hack fan should be freaking out about the idea of a final game, i know i am. I'm sure that LINK will have lots of nice easter eggs and stuff for all the .hack fans out there.
I AM freaking out of the idea of a final .Hack game...but not in the kind of "OMFG A NEW .HACK GAME WITH LOTS OF ACTIONZ AND KITE AND HASEO AND OMFG AWESOME X33333!!!", but in the kind of "WTF IT'S ENDING AND IT'S GOING TO END LIKE THIS WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY TROLLING US OR WHAT!?!?" >~>'
And i've said alot before, i WILL enjoy LINK despite of anything, and as a .Hack fan, will buy and play it (or at least download it, though i can afford a PSP with few games now), and probably replay the game lots of times and get all "WOW O8!!" at some parts of it....but overall, i'm not agreeing with the idea of the story and gameplay LINK is having, considering this is supposed to be a .Hack, and would much rather prefer the old games which were the ones that caught my attention and i loved so much. You could say that i don't like that whole idea of "OMG IT'S MEANT FOR FANS AND FOR THEM TO ENJOY IT I'M SURE EVERY FAN WOULD LOVE IT!!"....i know it sounds coldly like this, but .Hack was for me way better when it didn't care for fans and just went ahead making games and series so complex and deep, purely plot-based and not fan-based XP
In other words...if i wasn't a .Hack fan, i'd either wouldn't have a reason to buy LINK and it'd be a game i would mostly ignore...or i'd play it just for being an action game, without worrying about the story (and that's kinda what i'll do...but i'll still pay attention to everything and try to enjoy it as much as i could...somehow).
netslums

Post by netslums »

TheSorrow wrote:
netslums wrote:
Thank you!
I AM freaking out of the idea of a final .Hack game...but not in the kind of "OMFG A NEW .HACK GAME WITH LOTS OF ACTIONZ AND KITE AND HASEO AND OMFG AWESOME X33333!!!", but in the kind of "WTF IT'S ENDING AND IT'S GOING TO END LIKE THIS WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY TROLLING US OR WHAT!?!?" >~>'
And i've said alot before, i WILL enjoy LINK despite of anything, and as a .Hack fan, will buy and play it (or at least download it, though i can afford a PSP with few games now), and probably replay the game lots of times and get all "WOW O8!!" at some parts of it....but overall, i'm not agreeing with the idea of the story and gameplay LINK is having, considering this is supposed to be a .Hack, and would much rather prefer the old games which were the ones that caught my attention and i loved so much. You could say that i don't like that whole idea of "OMG IT'S MEANT FOR FANS AND FOR THEM TO ENJOY IT I'M SURE EVERY FAN WOULD LOVE IT!!"....i know it sounds coldly like this, but .Hack was for me way better when it didn't care for fans and just went ahead making games and series so complex and deep, purely plot-based and not fan-based XP
In other words...if i wasn't a .Hack fan, i'd either wouldn't have a reason to buy LINK and it'd be a game i would mostly ignore...or i'd play it just for being an action game, without worrying about the story (and that's kinda what i'll do...but i'll still pay attention to everything and try to enjoy it as much as i could...somehow).
I agree with you on one thing: i am very upset that LINK is for the PSP. I own a PSP, but rarely play it. I would much rather play .hack on my PS3 as a two or three volume game (even though Blu-Rays are huge, and could probably hold the entire IMOQ saga on one disc). Sadly, this is not the choice that CC made, so i simply have to be thankful for a new .hack game. Also, LINK hasn't even come out in Japan yet, and the demo was released like a few weeks ago? I cannot criticize something I've never played. Trailers can be very misleading...
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Tolby wrote:Oh, lets not forget because it isn't on the PS3 its not being all it can be, in G.U. fans eyes. Least thats how it seems to me.
I think it's a blessing that G.U. isn't on the PS3. Sure, the graphics are shite for a 2006-2007 PS2 game, but I don't care because I CAN STILL PLAY IT.
Tolby wrote:Also.. difficulty? Is there another set of IMOQ games I'm not familiar with?
Given your IMOQ obsessiveness, I'd think it wouldn't be beyond you to think that QUARANTINE is easy. (No offense.)

No, really, QUARANTINE is that hard. At least it is for me. I like the first three, but QUARANTINE... eh.
netslums

Post by netslums »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:
Tolby wrote:Oh, lets not forget because it isn't on the PS3 its not being all it can be, in G.U. fans eyes. Least thats how it seems to me.
I think it's a blessing that G.U. isn't on the PS3. Sure, the graphics are shite for a 2006-2007 PS2 game, but I don't care because I CAN STILL PLAY IT.
Tolby wrote:Also.. difficulty? Is there another set of IMOQ games I'm not familiar with?
Given your IMOQ obsessiveness, I'd think it wouldn't be beyond you to think that QUARANTINE is easy. (No offense.)

No, really, QUARANTINE is that hard. At least it is for me. I like the first three, but QUARANTINE... eh.
I second that (again). Quarantine is the only game of the seven games that made me want to kill someone...or something. Virus core hunting was a pain in the ass, but only in Quarantine!
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

I second that (again). Quarantine is the only game of the seven games that made me want to kill someone...or something. Virus core hunting was a pain in the ass, but only in Quarantine!
Not really. Virus core hunting is always easy as long as you know what you're doing and not just go to random places and Data Drain all over you...or try to kill them in ways that won't trigger the Protect Break -3-

I'd say Quarantine was hard only for the insane dungeons at the end, and if you want to add it, the Item Completion event, which is so darn long and tedious as you need to go to MANY places, trade SO MANY THINGS, and use the Spring of Myst several times as some equipment can only be obtained like that. Other than that, the virus core hunting was just a small "mission" to do

Actually, i found Outbreak to be harder. You fight a boss with Kite alone, you have to fully defeat a Data Bug, fake but Data Bug in every other way (...it was in Outbreak though? or Mutation? 'XD), and you are introduced to some of the hardest enemies, constantly reviving themselves and using lots of spell to annoy the heck out of you, not to mention the tolerances too. There's also Macha to deal with, and even the Goblin quest is the hardest in such game....i actually had to read a guide to defeat Alfred/Arthur or whatever his name was, and it still took me some time after reading it x_X They'd be harder in Quarantine, but since you can use a full team then, it's alot easier.

And even while being that hard, it's still way easier than practically any other RPG, except GU. As long as you level up enough and fight correctly instead of just pressing X all the time, you just can't lose...except by the last dungeon, but with the proper strategy, you'll need to cross your fingers for less time.
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:
I meant Link. When it was first announced so many topics crying that is wasn't on the PS3 or crying that is doesn't have graphics like MGS4.
GyppyGirl2021 wrote:

What part is hard? Thats what I'm not understanding. Virus core hunting? 1. Thats easy if you know what you are doing 2. Even if you have horrible luck thats more long and boring than hard.
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

TheSorrow wrote:There's also Macha to deal with
Macha was a boss in Quarantine, not Outbreak. :V
Gemcrim
.hack//legendick
.hack//legendick

Post by Gemcrim »

Since we're bringing up Quarantine in any form I will tell you the single greatest flaw of this volume. We were forced to go to Ω Cruel Vindictive Scars, not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES.

I remember it clear as day:

Oh? You wanted to fight the next phase? Too bad, go to Σ Graceful Tempting Fallen Angel so you can CRUSH ELK'S HOPES AND DREAMS! Wait, what, you want at the very least a data bug to show up? WELL **** YOU, YOU BLOODY TOSSER, GET YOUR ARSE ON MIA'S FACE, NOW!

Later:

Ha, well you showed that furry who's boss, oh sure you annihilated the love in a little boy's heart, but who cares about that? All the cool kids are talking about going to Ω Cruel Vindictive Scars, you should too Kite, you'll go there and your horrid taste in fashion will catch on with the rest of the impressionable hipster assholes there... I mean really Kite your character design looks stupid, ESPECIALLY YOUR SOCKS!

Oh, Cubia's there, guess you won't be partying with AWESOME people, you'll have to deal with that nerd and the tentacle fearing loli instead. WHAT ARE YOU DOING STANDING THERE KID?! KILL IT, GET IN THE ZONE, GO GO GO! IS IT DEAD? GOOD, LEAVE!

HEY I KNOW YOU JUST LEFT LIKE ONE MINUTE AGO BUT A REAL CELEBRITY HAS ARRIVED ON THE SCENE, BUT THEY ARE EXTREMELY FORGETTABLE, FIND OUT WHO IT IS FOR ME! What? Who the **** is Tarvos? Why are they shaped like a hammer? This is the stupidest looking celeb ever, surely noone will remember this stupid fool lacking gigantic breasts in the next seven years! (seriously sometimes I FORGET Pi is an epitaph user, and sometimes I FORGET Tarvos ever existed. They are just sooo god damn BORING!)

So, yeah, you're done... we could have just sent you to another area with a data bug, and then to effectively stop all Mia x Elk fan fiction, then to another area to fight Cubia, THEN to Ω Cruel Vindictive Scars. But no, sending you there three times was the BEST WE COULD MUSTER IN ORDER TO TRY AND MAKE IT LOOK LIKE YOU AND YOUR GROUP OF IDIOTS KNEW WHAT YOU WERE DOING, HERDING PHASES TO AN AREA, YEAH, THAT WENT SWIMMINGLY.

This is why I have a bit of disdain for Quarantine.