Rekindled love for .hack

Discuss the original .hack video games: Vol. 1 and 2

Moderator: Moderators

GyppyGirl2021

Re: Rekindled love for .hack

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Tolby wrote:What part is hard? Thats what I'm not understanding. Virus core hunting? 1. Thats easy if you know what you are doing 2. Even if you have horrible luck thats more long and boring than hard.
Virus core hunting is fine. It's leveling up that's the problem. Every single enemy has physical or magical tolerance, and their non-tolerant defensive stat is through the roof so it's basically impossible to deal damage to them in any way, shape or form. On top of that, 90% of the enemies have some sort of status spell, 80% of the enemies have attacks twice as strong as any of the Phases' attacks, and 50% of the enemies have Rip Maen.

NOW do you understand why I think it's stupid hard?

And before you say Dek Vorv, I've tried it. It misses. All the time.
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

I guess I could understand how it could be hard. Though it really shouldn't. A wavemaster or a decently equipped/stocked Kite solves all those problems. Restoratives, Antidotes, various elemented magic spells or elemented melee attacks. Have a wavemaster heal you or rape the monsters. The only problem I've ever had is when a bunch of Lichs or something spawn and spam spells. Hangman or Moon (or their spells counterparts) works wonders, though I do acknowledge they don't always stick easily or they can rape your party before you can paralyze/sleep them all. Though Rip Maen and Ressurects make weak allies great decoys while you chip away at the enemy's health.
netslums

Post by netslums »

I have the strategy guides for the first 4 games, and Quarantine is STILL hard. Its not just the fact that the enemies are ridiculously hard, its the fact that the dungeons in Quarantine are abnormally long and there is WAY more back-tracking in Quarantine.

I just thought of something....does anyone else think its weird that .hack G.U. Vol. 1 had a strategy guide, but Vol. 2 & 3 didn't?
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Anime Monkey wrote:Macha was a boss in Quarantine, not Outbreak. :V
Oops...less difficult for Outbreak and more for Quarantine then. Meh ~3~' lol
Virus core hunting is fine. It's leveling up that's the problem. Every single enemy has physical or magical tolerance, and their non-tolerant defensive stat is through the roof so it's basically impossible to deal damage to them in any way, shape or form. On top of that, 90% of the enemies have some sort of status spell, 80% of the enemies have attacks twice as strong as any of the Phases' attacks, and 50% of the enemies have Rip Maen.

NOW do you understand why I think it's stupid hard?

And before you say Dek Vorv, I've tried it. It misses. All the time.
But that's fun!! And ENTIRELY EASIER than all the crap you have to do in Shin Megami Tensei to simply INFLICT DAMAGE to an enemy, let alone defeat it or at least survive D: I found those enemies more troublesome in Outbreak, but in Quarantine it was already obvious how to deal with them and not suffer as much.
-Don't use spells that would reduce their tolerance status and so remove it for some time (like Dek Vorv), instead use ITEMS. And yes, they will miss...like 2-3 times, so having everyone use it at once guarantees success, and they're VERY weak after that.
-And if not, don't exaggerate because it's not like their "un-tolerable" status is maxed out. Of course, if you just use Kite using friggin Vak Don you aren't going to do much damage, but, having Elk or Wiseman with a very strong summon, or at least a highest-level spell of the element the enemy's weak to. If what he has is Magical Tolerance, then now it's the time to use Kite and his multi-elemental skills. Don't expect the enemies to die in 1 hit though...but in like, 4 to 6, depending of how strong the skill is.
-By the time i reached Quarantine, Kite had maxed spirit and whatever else were those stats that granted protection against status. And my other main characters (Balmung, BlackRose and Elk) had very high stats, and status spells missed like 80% of the time. Nothing to worry about then.
-Don't exaggerate either by saying they have stronger attacks than the Phases. The Phases have highest-level spells, instant 9999 damage attacks, and status inflicting of 100% accuracy no matter your stats. The enemies...just move around and attack or spam spells that take like 40 hits to kill you. Just move away from monsters when they're about to attack, be smart on attacking, and also be smart by not fighting enemies at least 4 levels higher than you. This isn't GU where you have your Skill Trigger and Awakening to solve every problem no matter what it is.
-And for Rip Maen-ing monsters, use Data Drain, at least on one of them (considering you fight them in groups of 3). Sure, they'll keep on reviving their allies...but they'll revive the weak jumping worm thingy, and waste their SPs then. And sometimes they're so smart that if you kill the Data Drained, and then a non-Data Drained, they'll revive the Data Drained one, and will miss their chance of reviving the other.
-...And actually, you shouldn't worry about levelling up. Just go through the areas you have to visit in the storyline, defeat the enemies you're forced to fight there, and by doing that, considering all the backtracking you have to do and enemies you have to defeat lots of times, you'll be AT LEAST level 86 by the battle against Corbenik...enough to defeat him. And simply clear one extra area, and you'll be level 90, easy to defeat Corbenik.

Lern2.Hack D:
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I don't have a problem with instant death attacks when the rest of my party isn't also low on HP. I think I've said this before, but the ONLY Phase I've had trouble against is Skeith (and the only one I haven't fought is Corbenik). Of course, that was primarily due to me being stupid and rushing headlong into Theta: Chosen Hopeless Nothingness at level 28, which is far too low for a noob like me. The problem was quickly resolved once I leveled a little, and I beat Skeith on my second try. Haven't had a Phase game over since.

There's a reason I say the normal enemies are tougher than the Phases. :\

I have a tendency to get mixed enemy parties (i.e. more than one tolerance), and if I try bringing along a Wavemaster they die in two seconds flat. Since then, I've taken to just using physical units, which might be my problem with physical-tolerant enemies.
netslums

Post by netslums »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:I don't have a problem with instant death attacks when the rest of my party isn't also low on HP. I think I've said this before, but the ONLY Phase I've had trouble against is Skeith (and the only one I haven't fought is Corbenik). Of course, that was primarily due to me being stupid and rushing headlong into Theta: Chosen Hopeless Nothingness at level 28, which is far too low for a noob like me. The problem was quickly resolved once I leveled a little, and I beat Skeith on my second try. Haven't had a Phase game over since.

There's a reason I say the normal enemies are tougher than the Phases. :\

I have a tendency to get mixed enemy parties (i.e. more than one tolerance), and if I try bringing along a Wavemaster they die in two seconds flat. Since then, I've taken to just using physical units, which might be my problem with physical-tolerant enemies.
I have died only a handful of times against a phase. Maybe like 3 times. Skeith was definitely one of them and the other...i believe....was Macha.....i could be wrong, its been awhile. Cubia was always the easiest for me. The Cubia Cores, or whatever they're called, were ridiculously easy.
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Wasn't lvl 30 the standard finishing level in Infection?

I don't see how your Wavemaster dies so fast, you should give it another try. Just now I went to a lvl 95 area, when my Wavemaster was still in his 80s, and he didn't die but maybe once. I mean he was weak so if enemies were looking at him he would be in danger, but they never really did it. Usually he'd only be hurt by spells, and those weren't one shots so as long as he healed himself or I did he would be fine. Blackrose takes most hate, and I take the rest.

Mixed tolerances don't really matter. Choose one enemy and take them out. Then take out the other(s) after. I think you just need better equipment and spells, or need to use them more effectively.
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Tolby wrote:Wasn't lvl 30 the standard finishing level in Infection?
Do you mean like a level limit? 'Cause there isn't one; my party was at level 31-32 by the end of Infection.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Anime Monkey wrote:
Tolby wrote:Wasn't lvl 30 the standard finishing level in Infection?
Do you mean like a level limit? 'Cause there isn't one; my party was at level 31-32 by the end of Infection.
Not the "limit", but indeed, the "standard" or "average", the level in which you're "supposed" to finish Infection...making it easier to finish on a higher level, and difficult on a lower level, while at 30 being just the average difficult. And yes, it is, just like it's the standard to finish Mutation at lv50, Outbreak at 70, and Quarantine at 90 (and the last dungeon at 99/100). You could technically get to level 99 in Infection, but since level 34 or so the strongest enemies will start giving you 5 or 1 EXP, so you'll probably need like 10000 monsters killed just to reach level 40, so yeah...

And though 28 isn't "far too low" to 30, in IMOQ a single level can make a big difference in how much damage you receive, and by not knowing what you're up against, you're going to die quickly. Still, i beated Skeith on my first try at lv27-28 XD
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Oh, well okay then, thanks for clarifying. That makes sense.

Yeah, I think I heard some guy once say that he leveled all the way up to 99 while he was still on Infection. If I'm indeed remembering that right, then man that's some dedication.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I should do that on my next playthrough... level up to 99 in INFECTION, I mean. It's a helluva lot easier than leveling up to 99 in QUARANTINE. XP
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Well, Sorrow said it for me, but just to confirm. Yea, I meant standard in that way. I said that because of the Level 28 being "far too low" comment.

I'm nearing my 100% completion of IMOQ. Just need to finish the item event. The rest wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Though it sucked raising affection for the bonus characters. Most of them started off with pretty good gear, so I had to sacrifice a lot of my Noble Wines that I'd been collecting slowly. Mainly because I'm impatient, but still.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

When I said "far too low", I meant "far too low" for someone like me. If I'm underleveled, even in G.U., all hell breaks loose. :P

*glares in the general direction of the seventh Chaotic from Redemption*

Oh, I think I forgot to mention I actually fought Fidchell twice in OUTBREAK. Once on my first, unfinished playthrough, and then again when I actually beat OUTBREAK. Both were victories, of course, due to being level 70. =D
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Good for you?

But that's not relevant to the topic. Please don't make off-topic posts like that again.
Seasqwaa

Post by Seasqwaa »

Does anyone else feel that G.U. battles are insanely boring?
It felt mindless, that I was just running around hitting one button over and over.

I prefer IMOQ's battle system much over G.U.
There seemed to be much more strategy behind it, more depth.
You relied on your team members and they relied on you.
If you were around the same level for all the major fights, they required actual thinking.
Even the boss battles were great! I spent 30 or 40 minutes just fighting the last boss of Outbreak.
It really did feel epic to me.
G.U. was just... too easy on everything.
Zoned battles? no thanks.
Little commands? no thanks.
Stupid AI for healers? NO THANKS!

Well, I still loved G.U., but I also felt it was... just a bit disappointing in some aspects.
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

Seasqwaa wrote:Does anyone else feel that G.U. battles are insanely boring?
It felt mindless, that I was just running around hitting one button over and over.

I prefer IMOQ's battle system much over G.U.
There seemed to be much more strategy behind it, more depth.
You relied on your team members and they relied on you.
If you were around the same level for all the major fights, they required actual thinking.
Even the boss battles were great! I spent 30 or 40 minutes just fighting the last boss of Outbreak.
It really did feel epic to me.
G.U. was just... too easy on everything.
Zoned battles? no thanks.
Little commands? no thanks.
Stupid AI for healers? NO THANKS!

Well, I still loved G.U., but I also felt it was... just a bit disappointing in some aspects.
I don't hate G.U., IMOQ it's even more HARD ! it's like fighting with Nyx Avatar(persona 3 FES) at a level 45
EDIT:
The post made before this is SPAM, so please Mods delete it, and contact an Admin (i dunno if the mods can bann people) to ban that user, is a spambot.