Question about "Game Over" screen (story-related)

Discuss the original .hack video games: Vol. 1 and 2

Moderator: Moderators

Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Re: Question about "Game Over" screen (story-related)

Post by Kuukai »

Oh, well then. Wonder why they had to go and ruin an otherwise painstakingly crafted continuity with the game...
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

I booted up an old save I had and tried this out. I was able to bring along Blackrose and Elk, but they were simply ignored in the cutscene.
Yeah! Saburo was hiding under a HUUUUUUUUUUGE chair!
There's plenty of pews, it's not like either fighters were really looking around taking a headcount or anything.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

If you want to compare footage I'm reasonably certain that there's some camera angle that proves Saburo isn't where Roots says she is.
Satoh

Post by Satoh »

I agree, but a bigger discrepancy is the fight itself, which happened wildly different in the anime than the game.

The fight in the game had Haseo MASSIVELY outclassed, with AK only needing to use one hand, without a movement from the rest of his body...

In the anime they jump all over the cathedral and it gives the appearance that Haseo is at least holding his own for at least a little while.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

If you want to compare footage I'm reasonably certain that there's some camera angle that proves Saburo isn't where Roots says she is.
She moved before the camera looked in that area. :P
I agree, but a bigger discrepancy is the fight itself, which happened wildly different in the anime than the game.

The fight in the game had Haseo MASSIVELY outclassed, with AK only needing to use one hand, without a movement from the rest of his body...

In the anime they jump all over the cathedral and it gives the appearance that Haseo is at least holding his own for at least a little while.
Haseo's technically massively outclassed in both fights. The result is the same and the intensity of Haseo's pwning is the same. They just drew the fight differently to keep it from being boring, same reason they give the characters complex facial expressions and movements instead of being ragdoll polygons.
Satoh

Post by Satoh »

AuraTwilight wrote: same reason they give the characters complex facial expressions and movements instead of being ragdoll polygons.
Except that this is conjecture of your own... There is nothing that explicitly states that no complex movements are happening in The World.

In fact, Bear points out that they exist by commenting on how they stop when a player leaves the console (As Mimiru went to go get tea and was in a mid-gesture freeze-up)

Reki comments on it as well when Balmung is drinking sake in the sakura blossom event.

I believe they exist and are colored by the players' physical movements and controls, combined with their mental state. Since their minds are being watched by the game in order to give Aura data, the game could easily use that same data to partially affect the character movement. (The players don't notice because they're also moving in reality which they believe is what is being displayed. They see it as simple movement tracking.)

This is my theory.
Not to mention Ender... Ender uses her movements alone to frighten Haseo. Her words aren't particularly unnerving IIRC, but her actions were. If such complex actions didn't exist, then it would simply be Ender standing there talking about something...
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Except that this is conjecture of your own... There is nothing that explicitly states that no complex movements are happening in The World.
AI Buster and the non-cutscene moments of the games make this pretty clear on their own, though. It's just emoticons and extrapolation.
In fact, Bear points out that they exist by commenting on how they stop when a player leaves the console (As Mimiru went to go get tea and was in a mid-gesture freeze-up)
Again, I'm not saying they don't exist, merely that they're exaggerated for dramatic effect.
I believe they exist and are colored by the players' physical movements and controls, combined with their mental state. Since their minds are being watched by the game in order to give Aura data, the game could easily use that same data to partially affect the character movement. (The players don't notice because they're also moving in reality which they believe is what is being displayed. They see it as simple movement tracking.)
Movement tracking isn't one of the game's advertised features, and if the movements of their PCs were in tune with the movements of their bodies, someone would've mentioned it. It's just normal, simple emoticons being used. Za Warudo does not use emotional data to control PC movement.
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

Agreed. Would you rather see this?

Azure Kite: .......

Haseo: :shock: Tri-..Tri-edge?!

Haseo: .......

Haseo: >:( YOU BASTARD!!

CLASH!!!

HASEO: :shock: Huh?

Extremely boring. CC2 just made it more dramatic, as AT said. Plus there was a cutscene in Vol. 3 when Gaspard got PK'ed. The female PK just typed in LOL and the PC laughed, liked so.
Satoh

Post by Satoh »

_Tri-edge_ wrote: Extremely boring. CC2 just made it more dramatic, as AT said. Plus there was a cutscene in Vol. 3 when Gaspard got PK'ed. The female PK just typed in LOL and the PC laughed, liked so.
Like so...? Are you laughing...? I can't tell XD
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

Satoh wrote:
_Tri-edge_ wrote: Extremely boring. CC2 just made it more dramatic, as AT said. Plus there was a cutscene in Vol. 3 when Gaspard got PK'ed. The female PK just typed in "LOL" and the PC laughed, like so.
Like so...? Are you laughing...? I can't tell XD
Fixed.