The Hook

Discuss the original .hack video games: Vol. 1 and 2

Moderator: Moderators

Midori

The Hook

Post by Midori »

So, I'm guessing most people started off the .hack series with the very first game, .hack//Infection

So, at what point in that very first game, did you know you were hooked into this series?

I didn't start off with the original .hack games personally, but I know a few people who did, and it was Infection that really got them into it.

For me, what got me hooked on the ORIGINAL games, in .hack//Infection, was that moment when Kite recieved his first encrypted e-mail from Aura. I just remember thinking about what it meant, trying to translate the message. That's when I knew I was hooked onto the original games.

I've only just recently beaten the first game, but I'm hoping to purchase Mutation very soon and start volume 2.

Hopefully this will help me learn more about this series! :)

But anyways, onto the topic. At what point in .hack//Infection did you know you were hooked into the .hack series? :o
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Re: The Hook

Post by TheSorrow »

Skeith's battle.
The intense battle along with the story that had developed so far already hooked me into the series, and it was quite "helpful" that it was the last thing from the game so it made me want alot moar of that, and that made me keep buying the games. Then, more than anything, i kept playing for the story, since game-wise it was a big dissapointment through all of Mutation and most of Outbreak :/
Midori

Post by Midori »

TheSorrow wrote:Skeith's battle.
The intense battle along with the story that had developed so far already hooked me into the series, and it was quite "helpful" that it was the last thing from the game so it made me want alot moar of that, and that made me keep buying the games. Then, more than anything, i kept playing for the story, since game-wise it was a big dissapointment through all of Mutation and most of Outbreak :/
That part was pretty intense for me as well, but I have to say that the e-mails and interaction with other players (well, NPCs) is what made it feel more real for me.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

True, that also hooked me up, though i think it was bigger in GU for some reason. But either way, i'd spend HOURS just reading the forums and the news and talking to every darn NPC i could find on the Towns, seriously XD And just like i said, i didn't do that much in IMOQ for whatever reason and by such i don't remember alot...but i can tell you by memory what's the deal with every NPC in GU, such like Nogmung working for CC Corp and being married or the whole deal with Kaki Leader and "Butt"Rice and Heart in Brocade's reason for PKing and alot more XD...Now that i think of it, that's probably my favorite part of GU, the whole interaction and all o-o
Midori

Post by Midori »

TheSorrow wrote:True, that also hooked me up, though i think it was bigger in GU for some reason. But either way, i'd spend HOURS just reading the forums and the news and talking to every darn NPC i could find on the Towns, seriously XD And just like i said, i didn't do that much in IMOQ for whatever reason and by such i don't remember alot...but i can tell you by memory what's the deal with every NPC in GU, such like Nogmung working for CC Corp and being married or the whole deal with Kaki Leader and "Butt"Rice and Heart in Brocade's reason for PKing and alot more XD...Now that i think of it, that's probably my favorite part of GU, the whole interaction and all o-o
Yes, but this is the wrong forum for discussing G.U., yes? Perhaps we should make a seperate topic with the same theme regarding G.U.?
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Oh man, the hook... I think for me, it was the first time you went to an area and it did that screen distortion. It freaked me out so much (kind of pathetic, really), and for some reason that got me more involved with the game.

Although, from the start, I was uber excited to be playing it period.
Midori

Post by Midori »

Anime Monkey wrote:Oh man, the hook... I think for me, it was the first time you went to an area and it did that screen distortion. It freaked me out so much (kind of pathetic, really), and for some reason that got me more involved with the game.

Although, from the start, I was uber excited to be playing it period.
I do remember it having quite a bit of street-buzz when it first came out. Very edgy for its time. :3
Kill Rain

Post by Kill Rain »

Hmmmm? i remember when i first turned the game on and stared playing with orca....and saw aura and skeith. thats when i got hooked. i have beaten all the games 5 times over since then. its so fun!!!!!!!
Azure Ace

Post by Azure Ace »

Took me a while to get hooked... When I fought Skeith, however, I know I would be hooked on the series. I have actually only finished Vol. 2, but I am desperately waiting for Vols. 3 and 4 for Christmas.
...Long live Kite! (and Skeith, the greatest Phase since sliced bread!)

The thing that really made it truly awesome, however, was the screen-flashing effect. That still freaks me out... :(
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

The moment Kite recieved Data Drain. That's what basically got me hooked to the entire .hack// series. That skill is the most epic skill ever in an RPG.
Azure griffith

Post by Azure griffith »

I think what got me hooked was when i beat skeith and learned that I could transfer my data. the story up to that point was fun but when I realized that this game was that big, I had to get the rest. Then I found a friend who sold me vol. 2 and 3. but after one, I was hooked
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Eh, I was basically hooked from the very beginning. I was already hooked by .hack//sign and since I knew that the games were a continuation of the storyline of .hack//sign I was into it instantly. I just love getting into the details and getting to the bottom of what is happening behind the scenes. Finding all the connections between the events that occurred in .hack//sign and the reasons for why the events were taking place. So, you could say being able to uncover all and discover all the different mysteries was the biggest draw and hook for me.
Plus, playing the games was also the closest that I could get to actually playing and participating in "The World." I am still impatiently waiting for a MMORPG that has the same feel that "The World" has. Sure, EverQuest, WoW, Ultima Online, Silkroad Online, and other MMORPGs come close and have some of the few elements, but they just seem to be lacking some crucial elements. Perhaps it is the lack of using a controller instead of keyboard and/or the use of 3D/VR goggles, but something more seems to be missing. But then again I have not fully played any of the above examples, so perhaps I shouldn't really say anything until I try them. In any case, that is somewhat off-topic even though it is related to what hooked me into the original .hack//games. Nonetheless, I still can't wait until 3D/VR goggles/glasses are much more widespread. Until then I shall merely follow the progress of Vuzix and other similar companies with great interest.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

but they just seem to be lacking some crucial elements. Perhaps it is the lack of using a controller instead of keyboard and/or the use of 3D/VR goggles, but something more seems to be missing
Maybe several programs running deep beneath the game that attempt to create an Ultimate AI? Or programs with Artificial Intelligence that can leave you in comas through extreme mixtures of lights and sounds? :P lol
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

lol
Thats it! They need more flashy lights and vagrant AIs running about along with the additional chance of getting into a coma. They need that little extra dash of risk to add excitement into the game. xD
arimiSlacker

Post by arimiSlacker »

I really honestly don't know what got me hooked. I just knew I was when I would start playing before my best friend woke up for work, she would come over on lunch and I hadn't let go of the controller, and then she would have to come over well after she got off to pry the controller out of my hand and make me go outside. Yea my punctuation and sentence structure was all wrong. So sue me.
bloodwolf2a2

Post by bloodwolf2a2 »

I was hooked when I started it is just a great series.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I have to say it was when I was first able to run around Mac Anu. I'd watched SIGN and read Twilight Bracelet already, so I was pretty psyched about being able to be in the worlds I was seeing, and be able to interact with all the people there. And then I was in the root town and I was like "Oh my god this is AWESOME <3 <3".
SCP-173

Post by SCP-173 »

I started on mutation