Kite and Blackrose are different

Discuss the original .hack video games: Vol. 1 and 2

Moderator: Moderators

tsukasa4692

Kite and Blackrose are different

Post by tsukasa4692 »

couldnt think of a better title.

Ok so I was just reading .Hack//Another Birth (vol 1 infection) which is the IMOQ games from Akira's (Blackrose's) point of view, for you that dont know. My question is about when Kite and Blackrose first meet. In Infection, Kite logs on a few days or so after Orca goes into a coma. He see's Blackrose wandering around the chaos gate. He starts staring at her and she says "Oh I get it. Your a newbie arent you? I might have guessed. Listen, in case youre not aware of it, your being very rude. Its impolite to stare like that. You have to understand, its the same as the real world. Dont stare." BUT in the book (novel, not manga) Kite says this quote ^
So who is the one that says this? Was the book f'd up in translation? or the game? or possibly both.....?
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Re: Kite and Blackrose are different

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Apparently, Tokyopop took some liberties when translating Another Birth. They switched BlackRose's and Kite's dialogue to try and deepen Akira's personality/character/etc.
I haven't read the original Japanese version myself, but from people like Shinsou Wotan I've heard that they did indeed switch it and so the quote was meant to be from BlackRose.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

I personally justify it by imagining Blackrose having a selective memory to make herself look better.
ZelkovatheWise
Location: Netslum and sometimes at the Moon Tree 7 Council Throne Room

Post by ZelkovatheWise »

I read all 4 books and found this one of the most confusing parts to understand. After rereading it several times and getting a friend to read it we both came to the conclusion that this was said by Blackrose in the book. Besides both in the book series and in the games Kite does not and would not have this kind of attitude of saying things unless in the game you made him with the emails. ^.^
tsukasa4692

Post by tsukasa4692 »

Anime Monkey wrote:Apparently, Tokyopop took some liberties when translating Another Birth. They switched BlackRose's and Kite's dialogue to try and deepen Akira's personality/character/etc.
I haven't read the original Japanese version myself, but from people like Shinsou Wotan I've heard that they did indeed switch it and so the quote was meant to be from BlackRose.
ZelkovatheWise wrote:I read all 4 books and found this one of the most confusing parts to understand. After rereading it several times and getting a friend to read it we both came to the conclusion that this was said by Blackrose in the book. Besides both in the book series and in the games Kite does not and would not have this kind of attitude of saying things unless in the game you made him with the emails. ^.^
I dont its cool that they can just alter a line like that, if I hadnt played infectoin first, I woulda imgagined Kite being a d***.
But since I do know Kite I would never expect him to say something like that, cause hes kind. Not cool tokyo pop, not cool :shock:
shadow of skeith

Post by shadow of skeith »

tsukasa4692 wrote:
Anime Monkey wrote:Apparently, Tokyopop took some liberties when translating Another Birth. They switched BlackRose's and Kite's dialogue to try and deepen Akira's personality/character/etc.
ZelkovatheWise wrote:I read all 4 books and found this one of the most confusing parts to understand. After rereading it several times and getting a friend to read it we both came to the conclusion that this was said by Blackrose in the book. Besides both in the book series and in the games Kite does not and would not have this kind of attitude of saying things unless in the game you made him with the emails. ^.^
I dont its cool that they can just alter a line like that, if I hadnt played infectoin first, I woulda imgagined Kite being a d***.
But since I do know Kite I would never expect him to say something like that, cause hes kind. Not cool tokyo pop, not cool :shock:
Well, it was probably because the story was told in Blackrose's point of view, so in an attempt at not making herself look like the villian here, since she clearly said that phrase in //INFECTION against Kite, this interlocks with AT's comment. Selective memory.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

It was 100% an unintentional mistake in the English translation. Former Tokyopop editor Peter Ahlstrom has acknowledged it, if I recall correctly.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Kuukai wrote:It was 100% an unintentional mistake in the English translation. Former Tokyopop editor Peter Ahlstrom has acknowledged it, if I recall correctly.
I know, but I like to pretend it's Blackrose painting a bias to save the value of the work.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

That would make more sense if the book did that in other places...
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

There's really not other places I can imagine that would really call for it, given the context.