About the storyline of the games

Discuss the original .hack video games: Vol. 1 and 2

Moderator: Moderators

ferdk

About the storyline of the games

Post by ferdk »

Hi , i'm ferdk , i'm new and i'm playing right now the G.U. series , also i've already finished Hack//Roots anime , but there are a lot of things related to the first 4 games for PS2 ,i was wondering if someone could help me and tell me the most important things i should know to understand the story, of course i'm asking this because i don't have time to play the four games just to see what happened , or don't want to do it :P
First things first , if someone could start telling me the story of the first game so i can make some questions xD
Thanks everyone , by the way , i'm from Argentina sorry for my bad english , and sorry if you waste your time readin this :P
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Re: About the storyline of the games

Post by TheSorrow »

Your english is understandable enough, don't worry about that :P

And well...explaining the story of IMOQ (the first 4 games, Infection-Mutation-Outbreak-Quarantine) would be very difficult and take such a long time, because .Hack overall has a VERY complex story where it's not enough to just see one part of it, and you also have to think alot and figure stuff on your own since you're hardly gonna get a right answer to the real purpose and what's the truth behind everything you see. Also, there's alot more to .Hack than just the games (manga, anime, novels, and other stuff), both canonical and non-canonical material, and if you want to understand all the story of .Hack you'd have to read and see them all (sometimes even the non-canonical stuff explains real canon stuff >~>'). However, each story can stand on it's own pretty much, so you don't have, for example, play all of IMOQ to actually understand what happens in GU; different stories, just deeply linked to each other.

If you want to know about .Hack's story, and can't play the games or get the other stuff, i'd recommend you to read the .Hack wiki. So if you want to know about IMOQ's story, you can read it here: http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Games
Just don't be surprised if you don't understand some things, or some aren't clear, or later you find out that something contradicts something else. That happens all the time >~>'
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

And if you have access to the "Another Birth" novels or the "End of the World" Terminal disc that was packaged with some versions of GU Volume One, you can get a splendid summary of the story that way, too.
ferdk

Post by ferdk »

thanks !! sorry for my delayed response , i had a problem with my PC a week ago :P
I've found on Youtube the Terminal Disc Files and it sure was helpful , it's a good recopilation about the original games, but obviously i have some things that i don't understand but i think it's just the way Hack is about... i'm gonna watch Sign and Legend of Twilight these days to understand a little bit more, and about the novels ... can be found on the net? i'm not sure i can buy them here...
Thanks again for your help!!!
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

obviously i have some things that i don't understand but i think it's just the way Hack is about
Some of these questions might be addressed in the other Terminal Disc files. There's 12 in all, and they're supposed to be one big "diary" of the narrator. If they don't answer your questions, though, post them here. I'll do my best to resolve them for you.
and about the novels ... can be found on the net? i'm not sure i can buy them here...
Sorry, no. You're going to need to buy them. Worst case scenario, though, they're not as important as the games or TV shows. You could just get a summary from the internet somewhere.
ferdk

Post by ferdk »

yes i watch them all (all the terminal disc files) , i'm watching Sign right now , 6 episodes so far , is really important to watch Sign and Legend of Twilight? i suppose yes but LoT are just 12 episodes maybe it's just some parallel story or something like that , and i was wondering , everyone is talking about characters in GU from previous games , like Haseo being Sora and that stuff , i'm wondering , what about Ovan? and when i watched the terminal disc i question myself , can Ovan this Amaki guy? i don't know why i'm thinking this , Ovan was always a mysterious character and it just crossed my mind , and i have another question , what was the role of Wiseman in IMOQ? in the files is almost unmentioned , i think they mentioned him once and not so much information from him... and in GU he's always talking about knowing so much from The Wolrd and loving it and that stuff
Thanks to all for helping me here , i'm sorry for questioning so much :P
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

yes i watch them all (all the terminal disc files) , i'm watching Sign right now , 6 episodes so far , is really important to watch Sign and Legend of Twilight? i suppose yes but LoT are just 12 episodes maybe it's just some parallel story or something like that
Sign is VERY VERY important, as it chronicles how Aura was born. Legend of the Twilight is just terrible, and the anime doesn't even actually happen (it's a what-if story), but the manga version is a lot better, and actually "happens" in the universe, as a manga-only character named Zefie has an appearance in the Terminal Disc (the girl Jun meets that tells him that Aura is gone).
and i was wondering , everyone is talking about characters in GU from previous games , like Haseo being Sora and that stuff , i'm wondering , what about Ovan? and when i watched the terminal disc i question myself , can Ovan this Amaki guy? i don't know why i'm thinking this , Ovan was always a mysterious character and it just crossed my mind , and i have another question , what was the role of Wiseman in IMOQ?
Ovan is a new character. He is not Jyotaro Amagi, as Amagi went insane and was probably put in a ward for awhile. Ovan's real name is Masato Indou, and when you finish GU, you'll understand why he and Amagi are nothing alike. Wiseman is a hacker who was associated with Helba, so he was able to know a lot of things, help Kite fight, and stay a bit in the backround. He was recruited by CC Corp for his knowledge and became Yata.
ferdk

Post by ferdk »

thanks so much for your help , i've finished GU Redemption and i'm at 70th Block of FoP , i think i'm gonna play the IMOQ games, what do you think? maybe playing them after playing GU will make me fell like it's a bad game or something ? i don't care about the graphics actually, it always good to have nice graphics but if the storyline and gameplay are cool , then graphics don't really matter to me... and thanks again Aura for your help
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

No problem, it's what I'm here for. Feel free to ask any time.

Yea, the IMOQ games ARE kind've inferior games. Graphics and gameplay are both pretty subpar, and the story is the only real motivator, for most gamers. However, I could not stress enough how beneficial it is to play the games and get the story first hand, especially since they typically come with the Liminality bonus videos. Also, GU is full of nice nods of plot elements that only a player of the first games will get, such as returning characters, jokes that carried over, and so forth.