Sony's PS3 to have tilt sensitivity; sound familiar?

Video game discussion, encompassing all genres and platforms

Moderator: Moderators

How do you feel about Sony after this?

I support them taking after a good thing; imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
14%
How lame; basically copying a function so similar to the Wii. Loss of brownie points for that.
64%
Indifferent; I would've done the same thing if it might help my console sell
21%

Total votes: 14

sirk

Sony's PS3 to have tilt sensitivity; sound familiar?

Post by sirk »

Kidding. That picture is doctored obvsiously.

But what Sony did isn't, according to this article.

Article: http://revolution.ign.com/articles/705/705870p1.html
IGN article wrote:May 8, 2006 - Just minutes ago, Sony made the announcement that its controllers would support tilt sensitivity and showed off the feature with a live demo of Warhawk. While this is a bit of a surprise, it also is to be expected in the grand scheme of gaming. Nintendo has been an innovator from the very beginning, and the best compliment is imitation. Of course, it's a little different when that imitation could put you out of business, right? Although PlayStation 3's and Wii's controllers may share some of the same technology, don't go counting Nintendo out just yet. There are some key differences between the controllers, and between what PS3 and Wii can do with the technology. Let's break it down.

We've known for over a year now that the Wii's input device is what makes it special. The Wiimote (as we've come accustomed to calling it), has the ability to point at any television with pixel-perfect control. In addition, it also can move in three dimensional space, meaning that if a player wants to punch an enemy in the face, they can by simply moving the controller forward. To add to the control, the nunchuck unit can team along with the Wiimote, giving tilt functionality to any game, as well as an analog joystick.

Luckily, Sony's technology isn't quite the same. Here's why:

The technology inside Sony's controller is a basic tilting accelerometer device. In a sense, that's the same style of control as the left hand of the Wii combination. Think of the technology as true 3D movement vs. basic tilt. The Wiimote will sense all pointing, motion and a new dimension of control, while the PS3 controller will expand only on the specific tilt functions. To make this a bit simpler to wrap your heads around, we've put it all in FAQ form below.
So Sony threw in a tilt sensitive feature in their controller. Sound familiar? And this is why Nintendo held their secret for so long. Of course the PS3 won't have the same capabilities as the Wii, but still takes after the basic premise of motion affecting gameplay.

Actual tentative PS3 controller pics:
http://i1.tinypic.com/xlduo6.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/xldy6r.jpg

Even has a YTMND _already_: http://whysonywhy.ytmnd.com/
Maromi
moo.
moo.

Post by Maromi »

If anyone didn't get a chance to watch the conference, it was the worst presentation I've ever seen. Sony's failed miserably this time around, and they blatently ripped off Nintendo, once again.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Well, motion-sensors aren't exactly the most innovative idea anyone in the gaming industry has ever had, especially after how they've been used in arcade games for years. Sony has made some contributions to control, like analog buttons, and so far no huge flop-ups (so far, at least).
Anywise, without getting into who's stealing what, I too was disappointed. The PS3 is $600, and I can't figure out why. The $500 version is neutered, missing many previously-advertised features, like wifi, so it might as well not even count. I'm not sure, maybe it will look a lot better than the 360, but I think I'll hold off on both until hd-tvs are cheaper... I might get a Wii just because I never got a gamecube and there are lots of games I want to play...
Nenja

Post by Nenja »

yeah i lost alot of respec to sony yesterday they always rip nintendo :(

i hope that the PS3 have 4controler ports and not just an attachment you have to buy to play 4players

but i think they lost the rumble feature remenber they lost the lawsuit
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6149552.html
marthwmaster
The Fullglass Optimist
The Fullglass Optimist

Post by marthwmaster »

Some people will never understand. This is how you run a business: do anything you can possibly get away with. Sony is not trying to please Nintendo fans here.
Maromi
moo.
moo.

Post by Maromi »

Well, I don't really think they're pleasing their own fans, either. Those were some shitty titles they tried to show off their system with.
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

Maromi wrote:If anyone didn't get a chance to watch the conference, it was the worst presentation I've ever seen. Sony's failed miserably this time around, and they blatently ripped off Nintendo, once again.
Once again? lol Is that why Nintendo's been using so many of Sony's ideas? Not to mention the mass production of PlayStation game remakes...
marthwmaster
The Fullglass Optimist
The Fullglass Optimist

Post by marthwmaster »

Hehe, well really I hope both systems get an equal amount of love when they come out. Both appeal to different types of gamers: Playstation caters more to the moderate gamer, while Nintendo is friendly to more casual fans. That's the way I see it anyway.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

But Playstation 3 appeals to King friggin' Midas...

There are four controller channels (wireless, no ports)... The controllers don't have rumble, though. Still, they could always phase out these controller for a better idea... They've done it before... But with their pricing sceme you'd expect $90 controllers... ^^;
Maromi
moo.
moo.

Post by Maromi »

S1lentOp wrote:Once again? lol Is that why Nintendo's been using so many of Sony's ideas? Not to mention the mass production of PlayStation game remakes...
Yes, they did the same thing in the N64/Playstation generation.
sirk

Post by sirk »

IIRC, the rumble is only taken out of the $500 one.

I understand, this is business, do what sells, etc. But still, such a blatent imitation, whether intentional or not, is just.. meh.

The price tag and what they're passing as features doesn't help either, imo.

Things aren't looking good for Sony to me, but only time will tell.
FLARE of the Crimson Flam
Location: Making deals with higher beings, and chasing Amit Paul down.

Post by FLARE of the Crimson Flam »

Holy Crap! 600 freakin dollars i could barely get a 360. Im gonna wait a LOOOONG Time to get a ps3. Wii here i come.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

sirk wrote:IIRC, the rumble is only taken out of the $500 one.
I haven't heard that anywhere. The controllers and the software that supports them aren't related to the main hardware at all. Making the cheap one arbitrarily not support it would be a ridiculous thing to do. Besides, the reason it's taken out is that rumble doesn't work well with motion detection, the more expensive one won't fix that.
Kiru

Post by Kiru »

Maromi wrote:If anyone didn't get a chance to watch the conference, it was the worst presentation I've ever seen. Sony's failed miserably this time around, and they blatently ripped off Nintendo, once again.
You Win.

I was disgusted with Sony's Conference.

They stole XBL Marketplace, Nintendo's controller idea, except it's only six degree and has no rumble which, in turn sucks.

Oh, and it's like 600$.

The future is Wii and X360
Maromi
moo.
moo.

Post by Maromi »

Well, the way I see it, Nintendo is really the only company who took the next generation console to, basically, the next generation. Sure, the PS3 and 360 look pretty, but Nintendo really took a leap with their controller idea, although I do feel Microsoft has the best online system. Graphics can only get so good, while Nintendo is really raising the bar for interaction. We'll just have to wait and see if it actually works as well as it looks.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

They stole XBL (as if an online service wasn't a given), but their service will actually be free (at least matching, anyway), so instead of the 10% we're seeing for 360, I think a much larger portion of PS3 users will be online. I doubt Microsoft will really be able to hold its advantage there, but we'll see.
sirk

Post by sirk »

Kuukai wrote:
sirk wrote:IIRC, the rumble is only taken out of the $500 one.
I haven't heard that anywhere. The controllers and the software that supports them aren't related to the main hardware at all. Making the cheap one arbitrarily not support it would be a ridiculous thing to do. Besides, the reason it's taken out is that rumble doesn't work well with motion detection, the more expensive one won't fix that.
This was my source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705887p1.html

Looks like I mistook it to mean only the 20GB package. The motion sensing/rumble thing is a valid point, I suppose you're right on that.
Aera

Post by Aera »

Tilt sensitivity isn't a new concept to gaming. I don't see why Sony's attempt is such a big deal just because Nintendo did it too.

We all know it would happen eventually. duh.
sirk

Post by sirk »

I can only recall one other electronic game to feature it; Kirby Tilt-n-Tumble. Which others used it as well?

What Sony did is such a big deal because they only threw it in fairly recently and is a blatent attempt to try to use Wii's unique feature to promote their own future console.

It would happen eventually, but because Wii introduced it first into the major console war. And only a few weeks ago did Sony incorporate similar technology into their controller.
Aera

Post by Aera »

regardless, that's what companies DO. If it's going to happen anyway, i don't see the point in trying to bring them down verbally because in the end people who love nintendo will go for Wii, people who love sony will go with PlayStation 3. 360 for itself. so on so forth.