8%
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/ Substance
17%
All of them
58%

Total votes: 12

S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

Yeah, but it's on the Existence disc for those of us who fought to get the Limitted Edition ^_^
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

Haseo:terrorofdeath wrote:Look at The Boss in MGS3. Wouldn't you have to say that she was over the top?
No, I really wouldn't say so. She was portrayed as Big Boss' mentor, defined who Big Boss was and what his charcter was, show players the change he made throughout the game, and explained the whole philosophy behind why the bosses were called "The Fury" "The Pain" " The Fear" "The Sorrow" and "The End" that ultimately linked back to Big Boss. I don't really see what part of her you thought was "over the top." At least she didn't jump 10 feet in the air, land on a rocket shot from a Hind-D and then kick it off target only to land safely. Or do a backflip about 5ft in the air and land on a sniper rifle just at the right angle to flip it in the air, catch it, and shoot a sniper. And don't get me started on the stunt Snake pulled after the first fight with Sniper Wolf as he was being captured by 5 guards...
I didn't notice any pieces of the story being removed. I did play the original PS1 game so it is odd that I didn't notice anything like that. I will have to get both of them and look for pieces that have been removed.
Well, you could pay closer attention to the storyline and the lines of the two games, or if you can't do that, download the scripts and compare them.
The game was made to be realistic so adding the first person view would make it even more realistic and last time I checked, MGS2 and MGS3 also had the ability to aim in first person view.
You're forgetting one key detail. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater were designed to have that feature and to balance it as well. The Twin Snakes was merely a copy of the first game which wasn't designed for such a feature. Whether or not it might have been "more realistic," you're still setting it in a game that had an unrealistic level design. Metal Gear Solid was designed to rely solely on stealth and not the use of weapons. It was not made to balance the use of both.
I got that info on MGS2 from an issue of PSM where they interviewed Kojima so if that info is innacurate, yell at Kojima for changing his stories.
Chances are, either PSM got their story wrong (which the game press often does), or it was a secondary reason Kojima portrayed Raiden as such after the development of the game. But the reason why he was included in the first place was for the reason I stated earlier.
You said that you had a problem with the Gamecube button layout. I had no problem with it. It worked just fine. If I recall correctly, if you tap the triggers, you unequip or equip your weapon and you go into the menu if you hold it down, use Z to go into first person view, press A to fire, press X to attack, and press Y for the safety. It was not dumbed down. It worked well.
Compared to the PlayStation controller, yes, the GameCube controller was famous for being awkward in playing Metal Gear Solid. Is this not true for some people? Yes. Especially die-hard Nintendo fans. It was the same way when they ported it to the PC.
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

Haseo:terrorofdeath wrote:I do remember a few of the lines that were altered but it wasn't that bad.
Actually it was that bad. The stuff they took out was both important to character development and the overall plot of the Metal Gear saga. Plus, the fact that they didn't need to cut it out didn't make things any better.
By the way, I don't call it too balanced when there are two guards who are sitting ducks for somebody who goes into first person view and besides if you are such a purist, YOU DON'T NEED TO USE THE FIRST PERSON TARGETING.
The fact is, the game isn't balanced for the kind of features that were added to the game. Choosing whether or not to use those features doesn't change that. You're applying a game engine to a level design that isn't equipped for it.
I own MGS2 and it isn't more "balanced" than TTS. It would be just as easy to equip a PSG1 and snipe everybody in sight the only difference being that you don't have a silencer but then again, if you have beaten the game with the best ending....
MGS2 is more balanced actually. The game was made to support those features and in some cases, forces you to use them.
Now onto that stunt that he pulled, look at The Boss. Now, remember what she did to Big Boss' handgun in MGS 3.
Have you ever taken a gun apart? Do you know that taking the slide off of a Mk22 is as easy as pressing a button and pulling the slide off? Not only that, but it also takes a lot of the gun with it if you have a good handle on it. Considering the extraordinary skill that The Boss had in Close Quarters Combat and the extent of her field experience, it really wouldn't be suprising if someone like her could pull that off. Considering how easy the gun is the take apart, and the person whom she was doing this too, it's definitely more probable than the kind of stuff Snake pulled off in TTS.
Now Solid Snake is supposed to be the second best clone that they made of Big Boss and Big Boss is supposed to be a super badass, now doesn't that move that Snake pulled off in TTS seem a lot like the kind of move that The Boss would have?
No, not really. He put all 5 guards in the same hold at the same time. No, that's not something the Boss would have done, nor would it have ever actually worked. Aside from leaving him vulnerable to attack (which it did), the guards could have easily moved out of it and it served as no practical way of getting out of a situation like that except to be flashy and over the top. Whatever that was, it was nothing close to realistic or possible. Kind of like kicking a rocket...

Also, although Solid Snake did have many of the inferior genes, he was not inferior to Liquid and he was not the second best clone. That was the whole message of the game! It was part of the overall message of the game and the biggest message made about Snake. The word linked to the Metal Gear Solid story was "Gene" and was a crucial part of the rest of the series... It was even linked to MGS3.
The AI was better in TTS and they added the system where they have Clearings and the caution alert status. I didn't notice any difference in the accent that Liquid, Wolf, and Raven had from the PS1 game. They sound exactly the same and I know that they have the same voice actors. On the matter of the misquote, it was in an issue where they had an interview with Kojima. I find it hard to believe that they misquoted him that badly.
I never said the accent was in the enemies...
Kite.

Post by Kite. »

One thing I noticed about the MG timeline is the the "Snake" (wether Naked or Solid) did not beat their "Boss" when their Boss was in their prime. Correct me if I am wrong but, was not Big Boss in his 60's when Solid beat him.
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

Snake did beat Big Boss in Outer Heaven and Zanzibar when he was about 60. But that doesn't mean Big Boss didn't defeat the Boss during Snake Eater when he was around 30
Kite.

Post by Kite. »

S1lentOp wrote:Snake did beat Big Boss in Outer Heaven and Zanzibar when he was about 60. But that doesn't mean Big Boss didn't defeat the Boss during Snake Eater when he was around 30
To be honest I thought Big Boss was between 62 and 68 years old but, then again your the expert so what do I know.

Maybe I should refrase the question.

Who would win in a fight, Big Boss in his prime (When he was Naked Snake and had just beaten The Boss), or Solid Snake in his prime, (When ever that might be)?
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

Well, Big Boss' exact age isn't known. We do know that he was in his 70's (I screwed up the last age -- typo) when Solid Snake had killed him at Zanzibar during Metal Gear 2. Since the Zanzibar incident took place in 1999, I would assume that he was somewhere in his 30's during Operation Snake Eater which took place during 1967.

I would expect Snake to win.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I played all of them and also have most of them. I say i like all MGS is my favorite game series :D.
Kite.

Post by Kite. »

S1lentOp wrote:Well, Big Boss' exact age isn't known. We do know that he was in his 70's (I screwed up the last age -- typo) when Solid Snake had killed him at Zanzibar during Metal Gear 2. Since the Zanzibar incident took place in 1999, I would assume that he was somewhere in his 30's during Operation Snake Eater which took place during 1967.

I would expect Snake to win.
Okay thank you for clearing that up for me.

I asum you mean Solid Snake.

The score is now:

Naked Snake(Big Boss): 1
Solid Snake: 1

( Ya... I voted for Naked Snake.)