Final Fantasy Series

Video game discussion, encompassing all genres and platforms

Moderator: Moderators

Which Final Fantasy game is your favorite?

Final Fantasy IV
4%
Final Fantasy VI
11%
Final Fantasy VII
34%
Final Fantasy VIII
15%
Final Fantasy IX
No votes
Final Fantasy X
28%
Final Fantasy X-2
9%

Total votes: 47

solarismagnum

Post by solarismagnum »

I didn't like FFVIII much either, Chrissii. It almost put me to sleep once, and I refused to play it after that. I liked FFIX's quirkiness and the return to the fantasy roots. The characters were great, and it has one of the best soundtracks of the series, IMO. I didn't think the FFX soundtrack was nearly as good as FFIX's.

Right now I'm going through FFX-2 fever, and decided to show some Baralai love! :D I love Baralai, Gippal, and Paine. I'm worried that I wont be able to finish it (going for 100% in one go) by the time Quarantine comes out. It's definitely an awesome game, though. The "1000 Words" sequence rocked!
chrissii

Post by chrissii »

Haha, I definitely have the FFX-2 fever also... I'd love to put up a Paine icon but I love mine too much XD but awww You don't like "Noojie-Woojie"?? :roll: I'm going for 100% too, and I'm at 72~73% immediately after the 1000 Words scene... so... best of luck to the both of us!! :D
Cloud

Post by Cloud »

Definitely good luck to both of you in that game. I am currently playing FFX-2 as well right now. However, I just picked it up so I am only around 17% done so far :?, but I'm working on it. So far I have to admit that I like it, even though I am a guy. Most people complain that its just too girly...well I will have to be one of the few that admit that its still a lot of fun even for guys.

I also definitely agree with both of you about FFIX. I love the whole fantasy feel of the game. Its nice to see games going back to their roots. I liked the story of FFVII, even though it had more of a futuristic feel to it, but they somehow made it work. FFVIII sucked....I did not like that one at all. I really didn't even find myself becoming attached to the characters like I usually do with FF games.
Mia

Post by Mia »

Same with FF8,it was ok,had a nice song "Eyes on me" very nice.I probably only liked Squall and Zell,thats about it,the rest just didnt really suit me.It was more of a love romance story,and a whole lot of things that really didnt get me interested.FF9 was ok too,I only liked...Freya,out of everyone else.Still wondering about the whole blind Bahamut,he has no eyes..from the look of it.The scene with him and Alexander was very cool.Another good song,"Melodies of LIfe"and the soundtrack was great.
Ardo

Post by Ardo »

chrissii wrote:awww You don't like "Noojie-Woojie"?? I'm going for 100% too
You'd have to be insane (like Leblanc) to see anything in that guy. He's boring, annoying, and needs a new outfit. Oh, and getting 100% isn't the easiest thing in the world, but the ending is perfect and makes it well worth the effort.

Cloud wrote:So far I have to admit that I like it, even though I am a guy.
Same here. The game is great (although it has some issues), and it shouldn't matter what gender you are. People who don't buy it because it "looks too girly" make me wonder this: What's wrong with seeing 3 hot women run around, change clothes, beat things up, and save Spira?
Mia wrote:The scene with him and Alexander was very cool.Another good song,"Melodies of LIfe"and the soundtrack was great.
I loved that scene! That scene was really awesome! The only part that I didn't like about that whole "scenario" was fighting with Steiner and Beatrix, but the CG scene was still amazing. And "Melodies of Life" is a really great song, as is "Eyes on Me."
Kenshin

Post by Kenshin »

I like pretty much all of the Final Fantasy games :D. FFVII and FFX were my favorite of the series so far, but the rest aren't too far behind.

FFX-2 is definitely a good game as well. However, its not for everyone but I think if you are a FF fan then you should definitely give it a try.
xKharnx

Post by xKharnx »

Hrm, am I the only one that's felt dissapointed with all the FF's after VII? All of them have various little things about them that I just couldn't stand. 8 had the draw system which I thought was extremely lame. 9 Just wasn't all that great. Vivi rocked out, but other than that ya got nothin. 10 was nice. New engine made the game even more beautiful than they normally are, but I felt really annoyed throughout the entire game. Blitzball to me was just a terrible addition to the game, and Rikku has my vote for most useless / annoying character EVER ... or maybe Zell.... Plus since I'm that lame perfectionist type I have to go through and get and do anything and everything a game has to offer before I can force myself to put it down. And let's just say Thunder Plains and Onion Knight

VII had to be my favorite just because of the story, and it was the first Final Fantasy I ever really got into. I'm surprised no one's mentioned any other great square games. 'n what about Tactics? That game was great. Orlandu has my vote for one of the coolest characters ever :D

Currently making my way through X-2. Now I'm a guy, but I'm very dissapointed in how slutty they made Yuna and Rikku (even though I hate her) look. And I'd hardly call holding the O button to jump around the addition of Action RPG elements XD The dress sphere / job system is cool. I've always been a fan of those games that used it.
Ardo

Post by Ardo »

xKharnx wrote:8 had the draw system which I thought was extremely lame. 10 was nice. New engine made the game even more beautiful than they normally are, but I felt really annoyed throughout the entire game. Blitzball to me was just a terrible addition to the game, and Rikku has my vote for most useless / annoying character EVER ... or maybe Zell.... Plus since I'm that lame perfectionist type I have to go through and get and do anything and everything a game has to offer before I can force myself to put it down. And let's just say Thunder Plains and Onion Knight
FFVIII's draw system was executed pretty poorly. It isn't a horrible idea, and had it been done better, probably would have been actually pretty cool. If they had made it possible to draw more than 9 at a time and made it where you actually understood WHY you were drawing the amount you were (instead of randomly getting 1-9) it would have been better. Drawing from monsters is stupid because you already have to focus on beating them, not drawing a frustrating "1" while taking damage.

Amen to the blitzball statement. It was cool how they implemented it well into the story, and I was actually excited about playing... up until I actually did. It's terrible, even if FFX-2. Final Fantasies are RPGs, not sport games.

I'm gonna have to disagree on the Rikku statement, though. (I'm a big Rikku fan). She isn't useless at all, especially if you get her Legendary Weapon. And besides, she plays a bigger role in FFX-2. Oh, and on a side note, I felt the Onion Knight wasn't worth all the effort I put into it. :x

xKharnx wrote:I'm surprised no one's mentioned any other great square games. 'n what about Tactics?

Currently making my way through X-2. Now I'm a guy, but I'm very dissapointed in how slutty they made Yuna and Rikku (even though I hate her) look. And I'd hardly call holding the O button to jump around the addition of Action RPG elements XD
What about FF Tactics Advance? :wink: I never played Tactics, but Tactics Advance is definitely my favorite GBA game (Moogles rock!).

I'm not exactly disappointed in how the FFX-2 girls look, but it isn't absolutely necessary. It seems as if they felt that's how they needed to look in order to sell the game or something :? And I don't even know WHY they bother trying to add all this "action" stuff into RPGs. It's silly, and the jumping isn't a big deal. The battle system is, however, much faster than any other FF, and I suppose I would refer to that as "action-oriented."
xKharnx

Post by xKharnx »

Tactics for the GBA is nice, but I'd highly recommend going out and getting the original for PS1. It's about the best $10 you'll ever spend.
Kenshin

Post by Kenshin »

I agree, Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS is a pretty good game. It has a lot of depth and a pretty good storyline. However, it may not be everyones cup of tea, but it definitely is worth the $10 that the price has gone down to now.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was an alright game as well. However, I just feel that there was something lacking from it, but thats just my opinion. I was glad that I played through it, but I guess my main complaint is that I just set my goals for it too high.
solarismagnum

Post by solarismagnum »

You'd have to be insane (like Leblanc) to see anything in that guy. He's boring, annoying, and needs a new outfit. Oh, and getting 100% isn't the easiest thing in the world, but the ending is perfect and makes it well worth the effort.
Exactly. Nooj irritates me because he needs to get over himself. His outfit isn't so bad, since Spira is a world of fashion disasters. And yes, Leblanc is insane.

I'm slugging through the Via Infinito at the moment, and then I'll have all the percentage you can get before heading to the final dungeon. Can't wait to finally beat the game. ^_^
10 was nice. New engine made the game even more beautiful than they normally are, but I felt really annoyed throughout the entire game. Blitzball to me was just a terrible addition to the game, and Rikku has my vote for most useless / annoying character EVER ... or maybe Zell.... Plus since I'm that lame perfectionist type I have to go through and get and do anything and everything a game has to offer before I can force myself to put it down. And let's just say Thunder Plains and Onion Knight
Blitzball had a very hard learning curve. The experience system wasn't done very well (and FFX-2 just made it worse) and you have to lose a few times to start winning (which can be very discouraging). I've seen the first Luca game won before, and Blitzball CAN be fun. It just needs a little work. (then again, the Final Fantasy mini-game concept team just needs to be shot)

I also have to agree with Ardo. Rikku is definitely useful, but she starts at a disadvantage. Once you do get Godhand and fill some of the Sphere Grid for her, she's unstoppable. She's one of the best characters in my game. The Mix Overdrive pwnz.

I hated the quests for the ultimate weapons. Getting the ones for Yuna, Auron, and Rikku were easy enough, but I just didn't have the patience to go through some of the other sidequests. But if you spend enough time in the Monster Arena, getting all the ultimate weapons is a moot point.
I'm surprised no one's mentioned any other great square games.
The only ones I can think of that kept my interest for a while were Kingdom Hearts and Chrono Cross. I'm horribly addicted to Kingdom Hearts. If we're including Enix, though, Star Ocean 2 and Valkyrie Profile are two of my most favorite games EVER.
I'm not exactly disappointed in how the FFX-2 girls look, but it isn't absolutely necessary. It seems as if they felt that's how they needed to look in order to sell the game or something
Aside from that, Tetsuya Nomura is a pervert. :roll:

The dresspheres don't necessarily bother me, even though I'm a girl. Apart from a select few dresses, most of the 'skimpyness' is some extra cleavage and/or a bared midriff. That kind of thing is popular in today's fashion anyway. Besides, Spira is an equal oppurtunity world, and there are a few men showing off some skin as well (though admittedly not as much as the women-folk :? ).
And I don't even know WHY they bother trying to add all this "action" stuff into RPGs. It's silly, and the jumping isn't a big deal. The battle system is, however, much faster than any other FF, and I suppose I would refer to that as "action-oriented."
Games nowadays are trying to blur the lines between genres, and that kind of thing is a selling point. I think they should have left the jumping to Kingdom Hearts (and that VP sequel they'll never make). I can't tell whether I like the faster pace of FFX-2 or the "take your time" kind of pace with FFX. *shrug*
Darkfeather

Post by Darkfeather »

I would have to say that FFX is my favorite. I'm cuaght in X-2 right now. Both of my brothers are playing FFTA and they are addicted. Last week they were at the 48 hrs. mark.
But I really love the story and advances that were made. I am a little irked that theyare making 11 a online game. ( opens wallet and sees an army of moths flock out) Maybe 12 will be affordable to me. :(
RedBladeAkira

Post by RedBladeAkira »

mine is not on that list, but i like Final Fantasy Tactics... then comes Final Fantasy VII, FF's are just getting boring now... they arent that good now, after 8, they just went down hill...
Player_Killer_Sora

Post by Player_Killer_Sora »

I don't think they necessarily went downhill. However, that almost tends to be expected after putting out 12 versions of a game under the same title. What they need to do is to come up with something fresh and original. They have kind of fallen into a routine of the same themes and similiar storylines, and things are in a sense becoming stale.

However, with that said...I personally don't think that they are down and out yet. I personally enjoyed FFIX, FFX, and currently am enjoying FFX-2 right now. But I will give you one thing, they do need to find something to spice things up a little more in the future.
RedBladeAkira

Post by RedBladeAkira »

well yeah, i see where your coming from, im looking forward ro FF12 becuase i like FF's in the future, iwth FFX i didnt like it, no world map like in the other FF's
Ardo

Post by Ardo »

Just one question: What's so important about world maps anyway? Sure, being able to explore like that is fun, but you could say that they were trying something "fresh." I've heard a lot of people complain about how they didn't like how it wasn't there, but I personally didn't mind at all.
Player_Killer_Sora

Post by Player_Killer_Sora »

I didn't mind the world maps being gone either. Sometimes running around on those maps and having to deal with random battles got a little annoying down the stretch. That is why I personally cannot complain about the Final Fantasy series very much. I love the games. I just think that they might need something refreshing to come up soon and restart the craze among the masses :D
solarismagnum

Post by solarismagnum »

I actually thought the way Spira was set up in FFX/-2 was great. I liked being able to run almost all the way from Luca to Zanarkand with only one break in between. Sure, when you lose the World Map you lose a lot of training areas, but you also don't have as much space to get lost in. :wink:
Xaires

Post by Xaires »

call me old school but my favorite FF game wold have to be FFV it was a long exciting game. When it just comes down to a game's graphics i just don't give a crap.FF Tactics was an awsome FF game but i don't think FF Tactics Advance is good as the first. hint: u forgot FFV in the poll.
Hotaru

Post by Hotaru »

i'd have to say x-2 is my favorite... from what i've seen of x-2 international it looks a lot better...