Where does one go to learn software engineering and graphic design?

Video game discussion, encompassing all genres and platforms

Moderator: Moderators

mister

Where does one go to learn software engineering and graphic design?

Post by mister »

Your input is greatly appreciated. I'm trying to get my start making video games.
Falions

Re: Where does one go to learn software engineering and graphic design?

Post by Falions »

University. Don't go to a "game design" college--they're all a scam. You're better off learning computer science.
Kazetrigger

Post by Kazetrigger »

It also helps to read up on the latest trends in game design. Figure out what modern game makers are using and learn those software and programming skills. Look into coding and game making competitions for practice. Talk to students and makers of games about what you should learn. A two-year college is likely a minimum requirement for employment, with a four-year university being better.

You could also learn on your own from books if you simply want to make small game but aren't looking to make a career of it.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

Falions wrote:University. Don't go to a "game design" college--they're all a scam. You're better off learning computer science.
this right here.

what I'm doing since graduating and getting my bachelors, I am now teaching myself how to do stuff that i wasn't taught while i was there. Not easy, but it's free lol. (well, for the most part haha)
Falions

Post by Falions »

Falions wrote:University. Don't go to a "game design" college--they're all a scam. You're better off learning computer science.
this right here.

what I'm doing since graduating and getting my bachelors, I am now teaching myself how to do stuff that i wasn't taught while i was there. Not easy, but it's free lol. (well, for the most part haha)
Exactly. Game design colleges will teach you how to use software that aid game development (for lack of a better example I mean programs like RPG Maker) and pre-existing tools that you'll have to pay for the same way you'd pay for textbooks, but when it's all said and done you'll come to find that all you know about is how to code something in Baby's First Engine v2.scam.

You're always better off just learning the fundamentals of coding and going from there. Always remember: Cave Story was made by one man in his spare time just out of his own knowledge of coding. He had no experience with art, music, writing, or any of the sort, yet it's one of the most popular and pioneering indie titles ever.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

Falions wrote:Exactly. Game design colleges will teach you how to use software that aid game development (for lack of a better example I mean programs like RPG Maker) and pre-existing tools that you'll have to pay for the same way you'd pay for textbooks, but when it's all said and done you'll come to find that all you know about is how to code something in Baby's First Engine v2.scam.

You're always better off just learning the fundamentals of coding and going from there. Always remember: Cave Story was made by one man in his spare time just out of his own knowledge of coding. He had no experience with art, music, writing, or any of the sort, yet it's one of the most popular and pioneering indie titles ever.
yup yup.