PS2 Emulation Coming to PS4

Video game discussion, encompassing all genres and platforms

Moderator: Moderators

MizuTakishima

PS2 Emulation Coming to PS4

Post by MizuTakishima »

http://kotaku.com/ps2-emulation-coming- ... Socialflow

Are you guys thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?

Eh?

Ehh?

Ehhhhhhh?

Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Re: PS2 Emulation Coming to PS4

Post by Kaori »

MizuTakishima wrote:http://kotaku.com/ps2-emulation-coming- ... Socialflow

Are you guys thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?

Eh?

Ehh?

Ehhhhhhh?

We can play odin sphere instead of getting the remake? Play that game with the wu-tang clan in it? Play Army-men again?!
Smiling kindly

Post by Smiling kindly »

A good PS2 emulator on ps4 would be nice, there are a lot of games including .hack that I would like to be able to play again without using my ps2 that takes 7 tries to get started.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Wonder if they'll add more PS2 titles to the PSN for download, would really help people get .hack seeing as the sheer cost of all 4 (well 7) puts many off ^^'
Dasha

Post by Dasha »

Come on, all the .hack games should be available. They're gems.
Falions

Post by Falions »

I find it very odd that they're STILL not available. That aside, seems odd that they'd bring PS2 emulation to PS4 and not PS3 emulation. With Xbone bringing in 360 emulation, I think it's the next logical step.

Wishful thinking: PS2 emulation on Vita.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

Yeah, even if this happens, I have a feeling we will still have to pay for the games digitally and I don't expect we will be able to just pop in the disc. So, as cool as it sounds, I'm not getting hopes up too high for now.

It's one thing I like with xbox backwards compatibility, though I wish it went back to the original xbox as well, but oh well. I can either use digital copy a friend(if their home console is mine) or I already own, or pop in the disc.
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

Avatar_Crim wrote:Yeah, even if this happens, I have a feeling we will still have to pay for the games digitally and I don't expect we will be able to just pop in the disc. So, as cool as it sounds, I'm not getting hopes up too high for now.
On the plus side, maybe the games will be fairly priced? :O I mean, imagine if there were a big enough demand for the .hack games, (including G.U.) and then suddenly..bam! They're available!

No more $200 ebay prices to play Quarantine! :heart:

EDIT: So apparently the emulation thing for the PS4 will be entirely digital, and you will have to buy the games that you want after all.

I sorta assumed as much, but I think a good handful of people maybe thought otherwise? Like they thought they could just pop in a PS2 disc and have it still work?

The only downside to any of this (for me anyway) is that there's only a select few PS2 games available. I'm guessing they'll add more titles later on, but they may only do that if this first batch is successful.

As for the technical details; like if the quality is really as HD as they say it will be, I have no idea.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

yeah, looks like its going to be a $15 price point for them from what i've seen. while its cool, im disappointed but not surprised that you can't use ps2 discs. I think nintendo and microsoft did it right by having backwards compatibility free. I only see myself rebuying games for wii u, cause Nintendo luls. (I mean, n64 and older for under $10 ill do)
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/12/ ... nt-1129542

Guys, Sony just asked us what we wanna see emulated to the PS4.

You all know what we need to do. It's a long shot but it maybe our only hope!

Post by Avatar_Crim »

Keyaki wrote:http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/12/ ... nt-1129542

i may change my mind... maybe lol.

microsoft did the same thing, and then brought almost none of the top voted games.
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

Is there a way to vote on this comment?
Dasha

Post by Dasha »

Guys, it is our duty!
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

i may change my mind... maybe lol.

microsoft did the same thing, and then brought almost none of the top voted games.

Regardless! It's better than nothing.
Guys, it is our duty!
F*cking right, it's our duty! So get to it!

What makes me excited is that there's a lot more people than us who've commented the same before I even made the post
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

Ehh, I don't want to be "that guy", but this isn't PS2 emulation. This is Sony allowing us to buy some PS2 games on the PS4 store.
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

Vallen wrote:Ehh, I don't want to be "that guy", but this isn't PS2 emulation. This is Sony allowing us to buy some PS2 games on the PS4 store.
Isn't that more or less the same thing? The way the PS4 runs games is probably a lot different when compared to PS2 era technology, wouldn't "emulation" be the only way to get these games to work on the machine at all?

But you're right in that it does require buying the games digitally.
Dasha

Post by Dasha »

Vallen

Post by Vallen »

MizuTakishima wrote:
Vallen wrote:Ehh, I don't want to be "that guy", but this isn't PS2 emulation. This is Sony allowing us to buy some PS2 games on the PS4 store.
Isn't that more or less the same thing? The way the PS4 runs games is probably a lot different when compared to PS2 era technology, wouldn't "emulation" be the only way to get these games to work on the machine at all?

Yeah, I doubt the ps4 could read the discs.

But if Sony wants to call it "backwards compatibility" - then there are 2 ways that I could see them doing it:

1) Put in your ps2 disc into the ps4 and make it play it (it's a dvd, maybe a patch could help the ps4 play it? unlikely)
2) Put in your ps2 disc into the ps4, make sure the system recognizes it, and then play the game free of charge through some cloud or whatever.

Anything else is simply called "Sony letting you buy downloads of older games on the ps4's online store" and shouldn't be called backwards compatibility.
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

I've been tweeting! Fingers crossed!
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Vallen wrote:
MizuTakishima wrote:

Yeah, I doubt the ps4 could read the discs.

But if Sony wants to call it "backwards compatibility" - then there are 2 ways that I could see them doing it:

1) Put in your ps2 disc into the ps4 and make it play it (it's a dvd, maybe a patch could help the ps4 play it? unlikely)
2) Put in your ps2 disc into the ps4, make sure the system recognizes it, and then play the game free of charge through some cloud or whatever.

Anything else is simply called "Sony letting you buy downloads of older games on the ps4's online store" and shouldn't be called backwards compatibility.
The original PS3 was able to do that and that's what jacked up the price in the beginning. This a cheaper option plus less taxing on the system itself. It's better than nothing so I wouldn't be poking holes into it.

Besides, all this was common knowledge from the beginning.