Video game discussion, encompassing all genres and platforms

Moderator: Moderators

Vallen

Re: PS2 Emulation Coming to PS4

Post by Vallen »

Keyaki wrote:
Vallen wrote:
MizuTakishima wrote:
Vallen wrote:Ehh, I don't want to be "that guy", but this isn't PS2 emulation. This is Sony allowing us to buy some PS2 games on the PS4 store.
Isn't that more or less the same thing? The way the PS4 runs games is probably a lot different when compared to PS2 era technology, wouldn't "emulation" be the only way to get these games to work on the machine at all?

But you're right in that it does require buying the games digitally.
Yeah, I doubt the ps4 could read the discs.

But if Sony wants to call it "backwards compatibility" - then there are 2 ways that I could see them doing it:

1) Put in your ps2 disc into the ps4 and make it play it (it's a dvd, maybe a patch could help the ps4 play it? unlikely)
2) Put in your ps2 disc into the ps4, make sure the system recognizes it, and then play the game free of charge through some cloud or whatever.

Anything else is simply called "Sony letting you buy downloads of older games on the ps4's online store" and shouldn't be called backwards compatibility.
The original PS3 was able to do that and that's what jacked up the price in the beginning. This a cheaper option plus less taxing on the system itself. It's better than nothing so I wouldn't be poking holes into it.

Besides, all this was common knowledge from the beginning.
And interestingly enough, the original ps3 is the most beloved one by fans. Plus look at the ONE, they're doing a decent job with 360 backwards support. Overall I am not complaining about the feature, it's whatever, I am kinda criticizing Sony for false advertising. They should simply say that PS4 owners can now purchase select PS2 classics on the PSN.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

Vallen wrote:
And interestingly enough, the original ps3 is the most beloved one by fans. Plus look at the ONE, they're doing a decent job with 360 backwards support. Overall I am not complaining about the feature, it's whatever, I am kinda criticizing Sony for false advertising. They should simply say that PS4 owners can now purchase select PS2 classics on the PSN.
this right here. I agree with you.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Vallen wrote:
Keyaki wrote:
Vallen wrote:
MizuTakishima wrote:
Vallen wrote:Ehh, I don't want to be "that guy", but this isn't PS2 emulation. This is Sony allowing us to buy some PS2 games on the PS4 store.
Isn't that more or less the same thing? The way the PS4 runs games is probably a lot different when compared to PS2 era technology, wouldn't "emulation" be the only way to get these games to work on the machine at all?

But you're right in that it does require buying the games digitally.
Yeah, I doubt the ps4 could read the discs.

But if Sony wants to call it "backwards compatibility" - then there are 2 ways that I could see them doing it:

1) Put in your ps2 disc into the ps4 and make it play it (it's a dvd, maybe a patch could help the ps4 play it? unlikely)
2) Put in your ps2 disc into the ps4, make sure the system recognizes it, and then play the game free of charge through some cloud or whatever.

Anything else is simply called "Sony letting you buy downloads of older games on the ps4's online store" and shouldn't be called backwards compatibility.
The original PS3 was able to do that and that's what jacked up the price in the beginning. This a cheaper option plus less taxing on the system itself. It's better than nothing so I wouldn't be poking holes into it.

Besides, all this was common knowledge from the beginning.
Yea you gotta point.

Especially since you can do just that for the PS3.