Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Video game discussion, encompassing all genres and platforms

Moderator: Moderators

Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Post by Kaori »

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth is localized and coming in 2016 on PlayStation 4 and digitally on the PlayStation Vita!

Set in the near future, the line between the real and digital worlds is blurred. Logging into cyberspace is part of everyday life. For one teenager, a harmless on-line chat spawns a chance encounter with a mysterious hacker. Little did this teen know, this brief meeting would lead to a digi-monumental adventure.

http://nichegamer.com/2015/07/digimon-s ... WGUrGu6.99

Re: Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Post by Avatar_Crim »

This is another reason why I should get a Playstation 4, and because I want those One Piece games lol.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Avatar_Crim wrote:This is another reason why I should get a Playstation 4, and because I want those One Piece games lol.
It came out on the Vita first, although for probably for cheaper localization reasons, its digital only on Vita, I'm definitely getting it on Vita to satisfy that Mons game itch, as Pokemon is cute and all, but I'd like something fresh for a change.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

Kaori wrote:It came out on the Vita first, although for probably for cheaper localization reasons, its digital only on Vita, I'm definitely getting it on Vita to satisfy that Mons game itch, as Pokemon is cute and all, but I'd like something fresh for a change.
vita really doesn't interest me all that much, but I have a feeling it is due to all the 3ds. I do get wanting something fresh, which is why for me the game actually looks rather fun lol. I just need a Playstation :P
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

@.@ I'll be looking forward to the physical version, glad to see more Digimon games coming our way on consoles that are region free.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Is it just me or are the new character designs more... Sexy?

Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

http://nichegamer.com/2015/09/new-digim ... mes-story/

A trailer with an english voiceover? While a dub sounds good, I kinda wonder if they might end up bowdlerising it since they said this was a localization.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

Kaori wrote:http://nichegamer.com/2015/09/new-digim ... mes-story/

A trailer with an english voiceover? While a dub sounds good, I kinda wonder if they might end up bowdlerising it since they said this was a localization.
Well a lot of the names of Digimon and their attacks are already censored(or at least changed) in English. However aside from the names I think the localization shall be fine. The games usually do not get messed with. Has a Cero B rating which is like a E10 ESRB.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

zaseo wrote:

Well a lot of the names of Digimon and their attacks are already censored(or at least changed) in English. However aside from the names I think the localization shall be fine. The games usually do not get messed with. Has a Cero B rating which is like a E10 ESRB.
I don't know Zaseo, the recent Digimon games have been leaning to more mature audiences lately.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

Kaori wrote:
zaseo wrote:

I don't know Zaseo, the recent Digimon games have been leaning to more mature audiences lately.
Well if anything they could just give it a T rating.

The recent Digimon games(all did not get localized) have been getting better. For a little while some of the Digimon games were really medicore if not bad. 240 Digimon playable and there are not too many recolor/pallet swaps. Some I feel some are kind of pointless but others make sense and vary in skills. Wargreymon and Black Wargreymon would vary mainly in attributes and have some different skills. MetalGreymon (Vaccine) and MetalGreymon (Virus) seems pointless to have. I know stats/attributes matter but its like you might as well have that MetalGreymon(virus) be SkullGreymon) instead.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

zaseo wrote:
Kaori wrote:
zaseo wrote:

Well if anything they could just give it a T rating.

The recent Digimon games(all did not get localized) have been getting better. For a little while some of the Digimon games were really medicore if not bad. 240 Digimon playable and there are not too many recolor/pallet swaps. Some I feel some are kind of pointless but others make sense and vary in skills. Wargreymon and Black Wargreymon would vary mainly in attributes and have some different skills. MetalGreymon (Vaccine) and MetalGreymon (Virus) seems pointless to have. I know stats/attributes matter but its like you might as well have that MetalGreymon(virus) be SkullGreymon) instead.
Yeah, I noticed they have been turning from Pokemon Expy to SMT Expy:

Before:

Now:

On a stranger note the recent characters look like they belong in that anime with the headless biker girl, forgot the name.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

CURSE YOUR BONES PS4! CURSE YOUR BONES!
Falions

Post by Falions »

I wonder if the PS4 version is worth getting, since it is essentially a Vita port...
How do Digimon games fare nowadays? I was mildly invested in the series as a kid, and I miss it.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Falions wrote:I wonder if the PS4 version is worth getting, since it is essentially a Vita port...
How do Digimon games fare nowadays? I was mildly invested in the series as a kid, and I miss it.
All I know is that digimon grew up with its fanbase, I asked a friend about your question and he should give me an answer as soon as he's available.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

Falions wrote:I wonder if the PS4 version is worth getting, since it is essentially a Vita port...
The Digimon games in general are much better these days. The thing that sucks is that the better games never got release in other places until now. Digimon Adventure(PSP)(Which is basically the 1st series in game format) and Digimon World Re:Digitize(PSP and later 3DS) are great Digimon games that never made it to other places.

I would say that the PS1 era and early Ps2 games were good. After that the games went downhill. If they were not bad they were mediocre. Now they are good again.
Falions

Post by Falions »

zaseo wrote:
The Digimon games in general are much better these days. The thing that sucks is that the better games never got release in other places until now. Digimon Adventure(PSP)(Which is basically the 1st series in game format) and Digimon World Re:Digitize(PSP and later 3DS) are great Digimon games that never made it to other places.

I would say that the PS1 era and early Ps2 games were good. After that the games went downhill. If they were not bad they were mediocre. Now they are good again.
What's the best Digimon World game? I've always been interested in those.
Vide

Post by Vide »

Falions wrote: What's the best Digimon World game? I've always been interested in those.
My personal favorite is Digimon World 3 because you and many others are trapped in a Digimon MMO. It also has a neat card game extra you can sink hours into. Since there's a lot of walking back and forth required to progress the story, the RNG can get annoying, and how where to go next is a mystery almost all of the time, I'd highly suggest a walkthrough if you have any desire to play it since all of the stuff I mentioned earlier can test your patience. Despite my deep love for the game, I have only managed to play through it fully one time.

Digimon World 4 is great as a multiplayer if you can play it with friends or you like hack-and-slash. I've put more hours into this game than any other Digimon game though, but only because of the awesome 4-player multiplayer. It's also the only game where I've liked grinding.

Digimon World 1 (2 as well I think? May be wrong on this) are Digimon raising simulations, which I wasn't too keen on. If you like cleaning up poop, feeding your Digimon every few minutes, and having little control over how they battle, while repeating this over and over with dozens of Digimon, these would be perfect for you. >D It's a bit more fun than it sounds, but I'm not biased on the first game like the other two soooo.... Like zaseo, the newer Digimon World games for PSP and later seem to have greatly improved the games and I'm interested to try them out, though.
Falions

Post by Falions »

Vide wrote:
Falions wrote: What's the best Digimon World game? I've always been interested in those.
My personal favorite is Digimon World 3 because you and many others are trapped in a Digimon MMO. It also has a neat card game extra you can sink hours into. Since there's a lot of walking back and forth required to progress the story, the RNG can get annoying, and how where to go next is a mystery almost all of the time, I'd highly suggest a walkthrough if you have any desire to play it since all of the stuff I mentioned earlier can test your patience. Despite my deep love for the game, I have only managed to play through it fully one time.

Digimon World 4 is great as a multiplayer if you can play it with friends or you like hack-and-slash. I've put more hours into this game than any other Digimon game though, but only because of the awesome 4-player multiplayer. It's also the only game where I've liked grinding.

Digimon World 1 (2 as well I think? May be wrong on this) are Digimon raising simulations, which I wasn't too keen on. If you like cleaning up poop, feeding your Digimon every few minutes, and having little control over how they battle, while repeating this over and over with dozens of Digimon, these would be perfect for you. >D It's a bit more fun than it sounds, but I'm not biased on the first game like the other two soooo.... Like zaseo, the newer Digimon World games for PSP and later seem to have greatly improved the games and I'm interested to try them out, though.
You won me with the concept of Digimon World 3 (I mean, we are on a .hack forum after all) but the latter sounds... kind of aggravating. I don't mind exploring if it rewards me (for example, like Dark Souls or SMT Nocturne) but if it's frustrating....

Also, is 4 sorta like Monster Hunter?
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

Falions wrote:
zaseo wrote:

What's the best Digimon World game? I've always been interested in those.
Depends on what you like.

To give a quick summary Digimon World is a pet simulator. You take care of the Digimon like a pet and use them to battle. This game came out really early and there were no "Ultimate/Mega" level Digimon at the time. Digimon are mainly from season 1 and the virtual pet thing.

If you do not know Japan has different names for the levels with Digimon.
USA and other places = Rookie Champion Ultimate and Mega.
Japan = Child Adult Perfect and Ultimate.

Digimon World 2 is a mix of turn based RPG and a dungeon crawler. Digimon are from season 1 and 2. This game did not get a European release. When you run into an enemy battles are turned base and can be up to 3v3.

Digimon World 3 is turn based RPG that is Pokemon style(random encounters). Digimon are from season 1 2 3 with a little from 4. The USA version doesn't have the post game that the Japanese and European versions have. In Europe the game is called Digimon World 2003. In the Japanese and European versions there is also a little gameplay balancing that is a bit different compared to the USA version. I strongly suggest a guide with this game. How fast you got through the main plot of the game strongly depends on how you play through it. If playing the European or Japanese version grinding is going to be needed for the post game.

Digimon World X(in Japan) 4(else where) is loosely based on the Japanese Digimon Movie called Digital Monster X-Evolution. It is a hack and slash game. There are only 16 playable Digimon and overall not many Digimon in this game. This game is a miss for many people but some liked it. I would say playing by yourself is very hard. The game balance doesn't really have solo experience in mind and it can be overwhelming at first and many parts of the game. It isn't bad once levels and equipment are gotten but still.

Digimon Rumble Arena(Tamers Battle Evolution) and 2(Battle Chronicle) are fighting games. 1 is on the PS1. 2 is on PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox. They are solid games. Rumble Arena and Rumble Arena 2 has Digimon from the first 3 seasons.

Other Digimon games have the "Digimon World" title in USA but aren't really in the World series.

Digmon World Data Squad(Savers Another Mission) isn't so great. It is turn based RPG but has many problems. The main problems
are the lack of Digimon(considering as many as there were at that time)
the battle mechanics(game almost plays itself in a way),
solving puzzles(nothing wrong with them but they can be a headache for many, even early in the game.)
VERY HIGH RANDOM ENCOUNTER RATE.

The other games were on DS. Most weren't bad but they were not that great either. Some didn't even get a release outside of Japan. Also there are other games like Digimon Digital Card Battle on the PS1.
Vide

Post by Vide »

Falions wrote: You won me with the concept of Digimon World 3 (I mean, we are on a .hack forum after all) but the latter sounds... kind of aggravating. I don't mind exploring if it rewards me (for example, like Dark Souls or SMT Nocturne) but if it's frustrating....

Also, is 4 sorta like Monster Hunter?
There's little extra incentive to explore beyond the story because the game forces you to explore EVERYWHERE in an effort to progress. Exploring soon goes from a rewarding adventure to "I NEED to know my surroundings and keep these places in mind, as well as all of the NPCs because I definitely will have to return/go here." Since there's so much backtracking, it's almost rewarding you to not explore further than necessary...but since you usually have no clue where your destination is, you're basically checking everywhere anyways. TL;DR: The reward for exploring is you get to continue with the plot. However, the game is fun enough to not only make up for this complaint, but also make me see it as the best Digimon game pre-PSP (as I have yet to play anything after).

Digimon World 4 is not really like Monster Hunter, aside from how there's a lot of giant boss battles who are at least 10x your size. But the game does place plenty of importance on weapon type, customization, and design (which somewhat makes up for the lack of playable characters/difficulty at unlocking new ones). You really will have to grind for hours and hours if you want to get the most out of it though...this game was certainly intended to be played with friends right beside you to endure it easier. I cleared all 3 difficulty modes (Normal, Hard, and Very Hard) and got a character up to level 150+ (you need this for Very Hard), a few past level 100, and many characters past level 50, but I don't think I'd ever want to play it again because there's just...so...much...grinding.