Idea for a .hack game spin-off

Video game discussion, encompassing all genres and platforms

Moderator: Moderators

Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Idea for a .hack game spin-off

Post by Kaori »

After playing Tales from the Borderlands, I realized, why doesn't .hack try something a little more down to earth? I mean, Legend of the Twilight would make a great adventure game, not action adventure, like telltale games adventure games, where instead of fighting your way out, you use your brains more, although they did add some combat in Tales from the Borderlands, I wouldn't mind a little action either, but mostly let your decisions impact your path, like say, what if Shugo using the bracelet to often leads to a less good ending, or quick time events in the final fight against Balmung, heck, they could even create new adventures set after the Manga!(didn't quite like the anime's darker tone)
SSJScygoku

Re: Idea for a .hack game spin-off

Post by SSJScygoku »

@.@ Thats a good idea,would allow for them to explore missing and addition to extra stories between or after major events. I've not played Tales from the Borderlands but I have played Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead so alittle action and exploration wouldn't be an issue ^-^

Maybe show Kuhn in his Canard days and includes the beginning of Project G.U. and his recruitment ^.^
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

That could work, although I wanna see more of Shugo and Rena's adventures, and what would make it unique is that both can say how they view how the plot went through their own eyes, I can imagine Shugo and Rena being questioned about the events of Legend of the Twilight and both of them telling mostly the same facts but some of their views differ on certain things, like Shugo bragging how he killed a golem on his first try only for Rena to point out he got badly wounded by a low level little doggie.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

^_^ that would be a good twist, having to hear both perspectives or even better letting you play as more than one character which only key areas in the game remain the same. Ofcourse having multiple endings would be a good idea aswell and even some cameos xD

^^' i'm sure that doggie was really the end boss in disguise, they knew of Shugo's awesomeness from the beginning~
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

I have Tales from the Borderlands on my steam... I just haven't gotten to playing it yet. However, I'm not sure I'd like a game based on LOTB. It's a good idea, but it won't sell well unless it's sold right to the niche audience and prepared to get compared to "SAO" and all that.
SCP173music

Post by SCP173music »

Helbaworshipper wrote:I have Tales from the Borderlands on my steam... I just haven't gotten to playing it yet. However, I'm not sure I'd like a game based on LOTB. It's a good idea, but it won't sell well unless it's sold right to the niche audience and prepared to get compared to "SAO" and all that.
dont wanna bump a dead thread but i just gotta say **** SAO. Its a cool anime and all but anyone who says .hack ripped off of SAO needs to shut the **** up. dot hack sign was released before SAO was even a ***** idea. Not saying SAO is ****. But people need to stop attacking .hack because they havent done enough ***** research to know that dot hack is the OG
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

SCP173music wrote:
Helbaworshipper wrote:I have Tales from the Borderlands on my steam... I just haven't gotten to playing it yet. However, I'm not sure I'd like a game based on LOTB. It's a good idea, but it won't sell well unless it's sold right to the niche audience and prepared to get compared to "SAO" and all that.
dont wanna bump a dead thread but i just gotta say **** SAO. Its a cool anime and all but anyone who says .hack ripped off of SAO needs to shut the **** up. dot hack sign was released before SAO was even a ***** idea. Not saying SAO is ****. But people need to stop attacking .hack because they havent done enough ***** research to know that dot hack is the OG
I think when people say something like ".hack ripped off SAO!" they're mainly just kidding/joking/trolling .hack fans.

SAO really dropped the ball in a lot of respects, (I generally dislike SAO) but even I have to admit that it's a lot easier on the eyes than most of the .hack animes are.
SCP173music

Post by SCP173music »

MizuTakishima wrote:
SCP173music wrote:
I think when people say something like ".hack ripped off SAO!" they're mainly just kidding/joking/trolling .hack fans.

SAO really dropped the ball in a lot of respects, (I generally dislike SAO) but even I have to admit that it's a lot easier on the eyes than most of the .hack animes are.
most of the dot hack animes were more comedic and childish. Sign was more mature and mysterious and had deep moments alot of times. Legend of the twilight was basically a kids show. And dont get me started on the one where kites a girl. Dont get me wrong. Female protagonist is cool. But gender bending characters pisses me off. That would be like if they made a male version of mia. or a male version of helba. They did that **** with tsukasa and elk. I mean if you think about it alot of character designs were copied into the dot hack IMOQ games from SIGN. Ex. Bear/Orca, Mimiru/Blackrose, Tsukasa/Elk. I just dont get it.
Falions

Post by Falions »

SCP173music wrote:
MizuTakishima wrote:
SCP173music wrote:

most of the dot hack animes were more comedic and childish. Sign was more mature and mysterious and had deep moments alot of times. Legend of the twilight was basically a kids show. And dont get me started on the one where kites a girl. Dont get me wrong. Female protagonist is cool. But gender bending characters pisses me off. That would be like if they made a male version of mia. or a male version of helba. They did that **** with tsukasa and elk. I mean if you think about it alot of character designs were copied into the dot hack IMOQ games from SIGN. Ex. Bear/Orca, Mimiru/Blackrose, Tsukasa/Elk. I just dont get it.
By the "genderbend" anime you mean Quantum, right? IMO the only one in the whole franchise that's worth omitting is LotTB. You're right, it's kiddy, it's too moe, whatever.

However, while I agree that reusing designs is lazy, there is always an explanation behind it (except for maybe Quantum). For example, the reason that Sora in Beyond The World gets Kite's design is the same reason Azure Kite, Orca, and Balmung, get their designs--that is, that Aura modeled them after Kite, Orca, and Balmung, who protected her in IMOQ, just as the Azure Knights did in G.U., and just as Sora did in Beyond The World (though as for Gondo and Balder, it's unknown)

While Mimiru/Blackrose and Orca/Bear are valid examples, you also have to remember that this is an MMO. It's not uncommon you'll get similar characters, and it seemed like in R:1 armor didn't have any cosmetic purpose, and every character was the same as you created it in the beginning of the game no matter what you had equipped (think of Fragment's character creation)

As for Elk/Tsukasa, it's symbolic because Elk looks so much like Tsukasa that Mia was attracted to him, as Mia is Macha and Macha's past relationship with Tsukasa is what drives Mia to Elk. That's also why she loves getting Aromatic Grass from him so much, because that's what Tsukasa would bring Macha.

However, on topic:
I would never want a Telltale Games version of any .hack media. Telltale's games are like American VNs, and I just feel like part of the fun of the .hack games is feeling like you're really playing The World. A Telltale-style .hack game would just make you feel like an observer.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

@failons, that's why I chose LOTB, the characters have their own identities and lives, they're not a blank slate like Kite was, I find it more interesting to watch others than play as yourself in a game.
SCP173music

Post by SCP173music »

HEY WHAT IF THEY MADE A DOT HACK ANIME OR GAME WHERE THE 8 PHASES OF MORGANNA MANIFEST INTO REAL LIFE oops sorry caps.
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

SCP173music wrote:That would be like if they made a male version of mia.
Mia is cool, but I would totally draw a dude version of her if Log Horizon didn't already beat me to it.

Okay they don't look exactly alike, but they could definitely pass for relatives.
SCP173music

Post by SCP173music »

MizuTakishima wrote:
SCP173music wrote:That would be like if they made a male version of mia.
Mia is cool, but I would totally draw a dude version of her if Log Horizon didn't already beat me to it.

Okay they don't look exactly alike, but they could definitely pass for relatives.
Thats supposed to be male mia? NOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU CANT CROSS GENDER CHARACTERS!! IT DOESNT FEEL RIGHT TO MAKE A DIFFERENT GENDER OF A CHARACTER TO SPICE IT UP! IT FEELS DISLOYAL TO TEH CHARACTER!!! T-T

-sobs in a corner- nuuuuuuu miaaaaaa

I swear to god if they make male subaru or male mimiru/blackrose im going to kill myself

(also wtf is Log Horizon)
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Log Horizon is yet another ripoff of .hack. It's kinda hard to argue against that, given the above character...
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

:P Wouldn't any series about being trapped in a MMO being taking inspiration from .hack?
SCP173music wrote:(also wtf is Log Horizon)
Log Horizon takes a different approach to being trapped in a MMO, where unlike being in a game the enviroment in this appears to be a real life world of their MMO Elder Tales. The direction of the series leans towards those who were transported explore and discover things about this world with regards to whats similar to the game and what isn't. Log Horizon focus' on social/economical/political issues so its a different kettle of fish from .hack and SAO.

Though there are two similar characters from .hack, Nyanta who is shown above and the protagonist Shiroe is similar to Ovan.

Last edited by SSJScygoku on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
SCP173music

Post by SCP173music »

Oh good that male character isnt CC corp being ***** stupid again. I also love how they put their company into the dot hack lore. CC corp= Cyer Connect. Really ***** clever (sarcasm)
Falions

Post by Falions »

Kaori wrote:@failons, that's why I chose LOTB, the characters have their own identities and lives, they're not a blank slate like Kite was, I find it more interesting to watch others than play as yourself in a game.
It doesn't necessarily have to be Kite. I mean, I enjoyed the original games more for the intrigue and mystery + the fact that Kite is essentially you, but G.U. does exactly what you're talking about. Haseo is a fully fleshed out character complete with development and his own life, yet you still played as him, and those games were a lot of fun.

Either way, I feel like G.U. would be a better fit simply because of how much more "animated" the story is as in it has a faster and livelier pace than the original games. LOTB wasn't pretty big in the twists department anyway.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Falions wrote:
Kaori wrote:@failons, that's why I chose LOTB, the characters have their own identities and lives, they're not a blank slate like Kite was, I find it more interesting to watch others than play as yourself in a game.
It doesn't necessarily have to be Kite. I mean, I enjoyed the original games more for the intrigue and mystery + the fact that Kite is essentially you, but G.U. does exactly what you're talking about. Haseo is a fully fleshed out character complete with development and his own life, yet you still played as him, and those games were a lot of fun.

Either way, I feel like G.U. would be a better fit simply because of how much more "animated" the story is as in it has a faster and livelier pace than the original games. LOTB wasn't pretty big in the twists department anyway.
heh, good point, although I prefer something lighthearted as I'm more of a happy person.
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

SCP173music wrote: Thats supposed to be male mia? NOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU CANT CROSS GENDER CHARACTERS!! IT DOESNT FEEL RIGHT TO MAKE A DIFFERENT GENDER OF A CHARACTER TO SPICE IT UP! IT FEELS DISLOYAL TO TEH CHARACTER!!! T-T

-sobs in a corner- nuuuuuuu miaaaaaa

I swear to god if they make male subaru or male mimiru/blackrose im going to kill myself

(also wtf is Log Horizon)

I can't tell if your over-reaction is a joke or not..? I wasn't trying to say that the male cat was literally a male Mia, only that the design was similar. (probably paying homage to .hack?)

Even then, I think you're maybe getting a little too bent out of shape over a fictional character's assigned gender or sex. Nobody's touching the original games. If you start to see gender-bends in a remake then I guess it'd be cause for concern, but even then I don't think what goes on between a character's legs is that big a deal. But that's just me personally I guess.

Shoot man in a virtual world you can do whatever you want, and the franchise has always played around with gender politics so it's not like they aren't aware of this stuff.
Kuukai wrote:Log Horizon is yet another ripoff of .hack. It's kinda hard to argue against that, given the above character...
Ouch. Harsh. So any series taking place in a VRMMO is a .hack rip-off now? :( That's actually pretty disappointing, I for one would love to see more people explore the concept tbqh. (I mean that design does seem similar to Mia, but it felt more like a homage more than anything. Plus, as a girl myself, it was kinda nice to see a "hot cat guy" when the original series had a "hot cat girl" running around. It's fun! :lol: )
SSJScygoku wrote:((oh cool another person who knows what Log Horizon is!))
This guy knows what I'm talking about! :D
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

MizuTakishima wrote: Regarding character designs (probably paying homage to .hack?)
Seems to be the case to me, both characters are awesome ^_^
MizuTakishima wrote: If you start to see gender-bends in a remake then I guess it'd be cause for concern, but even then I don't think what goes on between a character's legs is that big a deal. But that's just me personally I guess.
.hack has characters who play the opposite gender online but yeah it doesn't matter what gender they are. In a doujin by Kikuya Megane there was a full chapter which was essentially the opening to .hack//LINK (with other characters) where everyone's gender switched,though I doubt many have seen this ^^'
MizuTakishima wrote:
SSJScygoku wrote:((oh cool another person who knows what Log Horizon is!))
This guy knows what I'm talking about! :D
<.< >.> crap I've been found out! ...I mean Log Horizon is exactly like .hack and tarnishes the characters somehow..even though i've never seen it to make such an assumption! *phew safe* xD

But yeah Log Horizon is a completely different take on the whole trapped in an MMO setting,it goes into plenty of detail in its world building and player skills @.@