Your Game of the Year 2014

Video game discussion, encompassing all genres and platforms

Moderator: Moderators

Vallen

Your Game of the Year 2014

Post by Vallen »

With 2014 soon coming to a close, December is the month of thinking back and reflecting on the year. And while most people tend to reflect on life events, this is a game topic, so we'll reflect on the games that came out this year!

2014 was a very interesting year. It was the first full year of current gen systems being out on the market and it was also the year of many anticipated AAA titles. Interestingly enough, most of these big games disappointed. With the exception of a few of them being broken to a point of unplayability, most others were simply not the next gen titles we all expected. As such, I feel that 2014 was the year of the smaller games! Non big budget titles and handheld games.

I'm surprised that this year I would pick Child of Light over Titanfall, Tales of Xillia 2 over Watchdogs, Freedom Wars over Destiny, Pokemon over FarCry4 and Persona Q over AC-Unity. I honestly enjoyed the smaller less mainstream games (aside from Pokemon, it's still rocking the top charts) over these big cinematic experiences. Perhaps these big titles forgot what people play games for, which is simply fun.

So lets hear it, what are your favorite games of 2014? (note: game had to have come out this year)
Feel free to have up to 4 honorable mentions and 1 GOTY.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Re: Your Game of the Year 2014

Post by Kuukai »

I'm trying to think of any game I've played that came out this year. I think the only one is Ground Zeroes, and that was definitely not game of the year.

Does Kingdom Hearts 2.5 count? The HD version of Birth By Sleep is amazing.

I think in terms of Japanese games it's been a slow year. We're waiting on the bigger franchises and bigger originals as the new consoles take center stage. I've been mainly doing catchup and playing games I missed, old favorites (re-played through all of .hack with my girlfriend), and apps by MocoGame.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I honestly haven't played anything from this year (at least not yet). I think once I get Alpha Sapphire, it'll probably be my 2014 GOTY, but I may be getting that as late as Christmas, so I'm not sure if I can count it...
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

Yeah I got KH 2.5 too, it's very good. I guess you can count it lol, since we never got the final mix of KH2 outside of Japan, it counts :P
Believe it or not, I never played KH2. So this winter will be me experiencing it for the first time, better late then never!

@GyppyGirl2021

It sure does! I got Omega Ruby and it's fantastic, its good as a pokemon game and its amazing as a Gen 3 remake (my personal favorite gen)! You'll definitely enjoy it :)
Lindz

Post by Lindz »

- Kirby Triple Deluxe
super cute and fun and creative! best "standard" kirby game I've played (also the only one)!
- Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed
haven't finished yet but I plan to! kinda clunky at first but I love beat 'em ups so I'm liking it!
- Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi
not super different from the psp version but much nicer ta play on a console!

- Final Fantasy X HD
prolly don't count since its just a port of an old game but it was fun!
- Final Fantasy X2 HD
haven't played it yet because reasons an prolly don't count for the same as above!
- Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Demoes
worst of the year!also a demo so it also prolly doesn't count.

That's all the 2014 stuff I've played. Depending on how the rest of the game goes Akiba may be able to push Kirby from the top so we shall see!
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

For me, the top of the list has got to be Shinovi Versus for Vita, Best game I've got on Vita, for 3DS it would have to be Azure Striker Gunvolt and Alpha Sapphire, Azure Striker Gunvolt is a nice game to play while waiting for Mighty No. 9, and Alpha Sapphire is great especially with friends, I just play Pokemon for the cute Pokemon like Diancie and Whismur, I'm not much into competative battles.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Lindz wrote:- Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Demoes
worst of the year!also a demo so it also prolly doesn't count.
I wouldn't consider it the "worst" but it was definitely demo-ish in scale and has little to justify it being a full game. That (extremely major, crippling) detail aside, it was awesome. The gameplay is great and better than many other games. The tracking system is an innovative new take on MGS gameplay. For some reason, the Japanese version came with both the Deja and Jamais Vu missions (and subtitle language select--the first for a Metal Gear game!), and I bought it used, so I felt slightly less ripped off. I don't understand how they got Liquid's voiceactor but not Raiden, who was just in the previous game.

But Kiefer Sutherland's face didn't glitch out into floating gums so it sounds like it's better than Assassin's Creed.