MGSV:GZ Opinions

Video game discussion, encompassing all genres and platforms

Moderator: Moderators

BrinODea

MGSV:GZ Opinions

Post by BrinODea »

So, I was wondering if anyone else paid (Well, actually I got it as a gift) for the overpriced demo that is Metal Gear Solid V! Ground Zeroes! While I do greatly enjoy, I feel like it should have been like $15 for the PS4 version, however if it was the price that it was due to Kojima needing more money for the much GRANDER(?) Phantom Pain, do you also feel that $90 (give or take) for the complete packaged deal of MGSV will be worth it?
If Phantom Pain is even half as good as what Kojima is saying it will be, I honestly believe that the combined price will be worth it, as the experience of GZ was Metal Gear Solid, but yet it was somehow even more than what I had expected from the experience.
Anyways, what are all of your opinions?
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Re: MGSV:GZ Opinions

Post by TheSorrow »

I LOVE IT
I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT
EXCEPT the fact people keep calling it an "overpriced demo" -3-

It's FAR more than a demo. It's a small game packed with so much extra stuff and SO MANY things to do and complete. Sure, it might only feature a single scenario, that simply gets displayed with different climate, different missions, and sorta-different setup, and you can memorize it after the first few missions, but that's still just enough for this game. In the end The Phantom Pain will also feature one single scenario...just a BIG AS F­UCK one XDD Like any open world game.
If anyone still thinks this is a "demo", they're more than welcomed to finish all the Side Ops and the Extra Op. Clear them all in Hard. And in S Rank. Then finish all the Trials at least once. And then obtain the remaining stuff like the tapes or the trophies/achievements. With any other demo, the "game" would be over after the first mission and with nothing else to do. In Ground Zeroes, you can reach up to 30 hours and you'll STILL have things to do. Sure, all the Side Ops might be pretty pointless, so random and definetly not-canon. But, as a gamer they prove to be very interesting challenges with ALOT to do and SO MANY WAYS in which you can do it. As a MGS fan, you just KNOW you CAN'T miss the missions of Intel Operative Rescue and Deja Vu XD On top of that, there's also the little app for Android and iOS that works together with the game. Sure, you don't need it, and you can perfectly play the game without it OR enjoy the Mother Base stuff in the app without having the game. But, it's still something AWESOME to try and play. Using your phone as a freaking PART of your PS3/PS4 gaming and able to perform actions on it that work in real time is really something XD
And if you just can't handle the fact you're "forced" to pay for what one way or another is still a "demo", then well, you don't really need to. In about a year The Phantom Pain will be released, and i HIGHLY believe that it'll come with a free download of Ground Zeroes, it'll already be included in the game, or Ground Zeroes overall will be free since that point. So, you won't really need to PAY for this "demo", unless you REALLY want to, and no one is stopping you to just wait one more year to enjoy the FULL experience of the game. Personally, i downloaded it for $20 and i don't regret it nor thought it was overpriced (it IS overpriced in the way they're selling the physical disc in here though, $50 >->; ), even if i'd be able to play it for free later i REALLY wanted to play it now, and EVERY CENT was worth it. Hell it was way more worth it than ALL the recent games i've bought for like $80 or so!! D8 (the entire FF13 saga. LOL)

So, yeah, i REALLY love this game and i consider it as one of the best games i've played so far, as "short" as it might be (been 2 weeks and i'm still just 57% done XDDD i've been playing like 2 hours per day and messing around ALOT though). and it's really, REALLY worth playing. Maybe not at all worth buying, if you plan on buying the full game and don't mind the longer wait. But, these $20 won't make you poor and will be your $20 best spent in a long time. Way better than that DLC for that random game that you won't even play more than a day long >w> lol
BrinODea

Post by BrinODea »

Yeah, you do make a lot of good points. I think a better term for it would be a "tech demo" in that its mostly to give you a basic setup for the story and premises, along with showing off the ever beautiful FOX engine. I can easily see how many people can pull 20 hours out of it, especially if they want to ace it, however those new to the series, there is a bit of a learning curve. What I do like/also didn't at the same time, was the inclusion of Peace Walker HD for the PS360 version as a preorder was nice, however those that paid a bit more for the Next gen edition kinda got a the shorter end of the stick. I believe that those who have not played Peace Walker will be missing much of what happened. If Kojima had included Peace Walker with all the copies as a bundled deal, I think $30 would have been a much better bargain, as Peace Walker was an excellent game, especially for the PSP.
All in all, I do believe, even with your argument, that is a "show case tech demo" that I was more than happy to get, especially if this is just the tip of the ice-berg for Phantom Pain.
zerokoolpsx

Post by zerokoolpsx »

Beaten the main mission so far. Accidentally threw one of the hostages over the cliff. It was hilarious. I carried him and started running to the rendezvous point and went over a cliff. I tried to do a 180 but ending up hanging on the cliff. The poor kid went into the ocean. I laughed when I realized what happened. Told my co-workers about it. They laughed with me too. I kept saying it was an accident. Anyway, I do like the CQC part, but the fact that its short kinda stings. I paid $20 on PSN for it. Never played Peace Walker so Paz, Chico and Miller meant nothing to me. As of right now, I say rent it instead of buying it.
Thats what I said to a co-worker who asked me about the game. If he should buy it. I was like, rent it because its short for the main mission.

Will add more when I do the side ops and other stuff. Gonna try and get my $20 worth on this glorified demo.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

BrinODea wrote:I believe that those who have not played Peace Walker will be missing much of what happened.
zerokoolpsx wrote:Never played Peace Walker so Paz, Chico and Miller meant nothing to me.
Well, i have to agree with that. Apart from being an introduction to The Phantom Pain, this game also perfectly serves as the "epilogue" of Peace Walker, right where it left off and to help you explain what happened to Mother Base and Paz and everything. So, you WILL be missing alot of stuff if you didn't play Peace Walker first D:

It's still an awesome short game that'll be really worth playing, especially if you want to finish it completely. But, you won't enjoy it as much as you would if you had finished PW 'XD You're basicly spoiling yourself the ending of it.
Lindz

Post by Lindz »

I rented it for a day two weeks back an only played through the main story an nothing more cause I didn't have the time nor the desire ta do so. It took me just shy of 3 hours ta get through it an I was left feeling pretty bored for most of that time z_z The controls were hard to grasp, I didn't like how there was no health bar, BB's new voice was not good at all, there was no story, it was really hard to see things, an I just plain wasn't having fun! Didn't feel like I got my $2 worth so theres no way I could see myself paying $30 for it x.x
zerokoolpsx

Post by zerokoolpsx »

Forgot all about this post. Its worth it if you can either gamefly it or split the cost with a friend. A friend of mine at work saw I played Ground Zeroes and wanted to borrow it. Mine is the digital copy. T_T
A lot of the extra missions are trial and error. You can replay them as much as you want to get that S rank. It can be done on normal. My favorite would have to be extracting the VIP. Once I got an S rank, I take my Carbine and lay waste to my foes. Muahuahuahauahauahuahauahua. :)
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

zerokoolpsx wrote:A lot of the extra missions are trial and error. You can replay them as much as you want to get that S rank. It can be done on normal. My favorite would have to be extracting the VIP. Once I got an S rank, I take my Carbine and lay waste to my foes. Muahuahuahauahauahuahauahua. :)
It's just so wonderful to go around killing everyone in Camp Omega XD I tend to do that alot too, and it's pretty easy too once you've learned the game well. I'm not really sure if i have a favorite mission, as 3 of the Side Ops are pretty much the same and the other is just straightforward, and the Extra Ops are quite unique. But, i do find myself playing the Side Ops more than the Main Op. It's much easier to go around in broad daylight than under the rain at night and having to deal with the searchlights xD

And just BTW, the Extra Ops have been fully unlocked for each console. So if you were playing on Xbox you can now play the Deja Vu mission, and if you're on PS3 then you can play Jamais Vu. And though i prefer Deja Vu because nostalgia and shitz, Jamais Vu is a really fun and fast-paced mission, and AWESOME if what you want to do is destroy everyone XD
BrinODea

Post by BrinODea »

zerokoolpsx wrote:Never played Peace Walker so Paz, Chico and Miller meant nothing to me. As of right now, I say rent it instead of buying it.
I played it stealth as best as I could, until I saw what happened/heard to Chico and Paz. Then I just snapped and VIOLENTLY killed everyone in the camp. There are just somethings that should never be done to anyone. I can't wait till I can rip Skull Faces head off, even if Kojima makes some sort of redeeming feature about him (unless it was something beyond major, but I very much highly doubt him being anything more than Kojimas new monster), I'm going to kill him.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

BrinODea wrote:
zerokoolpsx wrote:Never played Peace Walker so Paz, Chico and Miller meant nothing to me. As of right now, I say rent it instead of buying it.
I played it stealth as best as I could, until I saw what happened/heard to Chico and Paz. Then I just snapped and VIOLENTLY killed everyone in the camp. There are just somethings that should never be done to anyone. I can't wait till I can rip Skull Faces head off, even if Kojima makes some sort of redeeming feature about him (unless it was something beyond major, but I very much highly doubt him being anything more than Kojimas new monster), I'm going to kill him.
So you've listened to all the cassette tapes already? ;3 Metal Gear Solid hasn't really been unfamiliar with torture, physical/mental abuse, awful methods of killing and all, but yep, Ground Zeroes (and Metal Gear Solid V in general) is taking it to a WHOLE new level, and even Kojima himself said that it'll have the darkest themes that no other games have dared to approach so far.
And i think Skull Face will turn out to be a very complex character, much more than just a "monster". Sure, he is TREMENDOUSLY evil and his actions will never be justified, but just from those same cassettes you can see there's something behind all that evil, a reason why he became this way. He's like someone who decided to abandon his humanity in order to reach his goal, and honestly, those are the BEST kind of villians, the ones that you just WANT to annhiliate from this world, but right before you do, you think about all they truly did, all they wanted to do, and if you would've done anything different in their place. Personally, i already find him ALOT better than all the villians in Peace Walker XD Well, except for one maybe, and i just really feel bad for that one ;C

And on the topic of MGSV, i just can't keep waiting for it, and i'm gonna die when they announce more stuff about it on the E3 alongside a new epic trailer TT3TT I still cry when i watch the latest trailer. lol