Favorite Characters in Gaming

Video game discussion, encompassing all genres and platforms

Moderator: Moderators

Furie

Favorite Characters in Gaming

Post by Furie »

Who are your favorite characters in gaming? Why do you like them? Do you ever try to emulate your favorite characters?

My favorites include:
Axel, Kingdom Hearts II- I love fiery red heads and characters with "impish" personalities. Axel fits this perfectly! He also really cares about his friends, and is extremely loyal to them, even if his intentions aren't always clear.

Elk/Endrance, .hack- The characters of Elk and Tsukasa have always really drawn me in. Their quiet and mysterious nature, seemingly weak while surprisingly strong willed. Endrance is the more refined version of that- the initial weakness has been traded instead for an aloof coolness.

Alkaid & Blackrose, .hack//G.U.- I also like strong and willful females. They blaze their own trail, not following and not intentionally leading anyone.

Mitsuru Kirijo, Persona 3- Somewhat similar to Alkaid and Blackrose, though she takes a more aloof stance and is more level headed and calm.

I tend to emulate most characters I like, usually whichever I happen to be playing at the time. Male or female matters little- if I like a character's personality, I strive to be like them.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Re: Favorite Characters in Gaming

Post by TheSorrow »

If you mean a character that i really love because of his attitude, his looks, the way he speaks, the things he does and the choices he makes, his immense intelligence and strength, who makes me feel giddy whenever i see him appear, and is my favorite character not just in gaming, but in everything that i've ever seen, then we're talking about him:

ALBERT WESKER O3O

I just love him. He's incredibly intelligent, cunning, a perfect strategist that works in the shadows until he has all the variables in his favor and never leaves anything to chance, and even the way he talks and moves is just perfect to me. He's also the one character i REALLY want to cosplay, even though i'm physically nothing like him, but that's how huge my admiration for him goes D:

Another character i REALLY love is Cecil, from Final Fantasy 4. He's the perfect balance of light and darkness that one person might have...not a pure hero of light that always defeats evil and could never do any harm, and not an evil villian that just wants to destroy everything and can't think of anything but himself. He's a true hero that has had evil intentions and caused harm to others, but deeply cares for his friends and family and all he has done has been for them, he's able to become a Paladin while still embracing the darkness and saving those he cares for. He's also a character i really admire alot and i can relate myself to him in several ways.
nuhkuhl
Location: In a box with a lock sitting next to a fox sick with pox wearing socks.

Post by nuhkuhl »

Perhaps my second favorite video game character of all time in terms of actual personality (don't ask me who my first favorite is- I refuse to tell anyone...heh heh)...Roger Bacon from the Shadow Hearts series... he...he's such a trip... His dialogue breaks every wall imaginable and his antics are...delightful... I implore everyone to play Koudelka just to bare witness to Bacon's first ever appearance.

I am ridiculously enamored with the Hitoshura... however, seeing as he's a silent protagonist with very little obvious personality, it might be shallow of me to hold him in such high esteem...he's just so amazing to watch on screen. His cameos in other games are shocking on account of his power being so devastating. His character design is wonderful.

Is it weird that I kind of look up to the King as a 'roll' model....? I admire his confidence and grandiose demeanor.

For not being able to speak, Amaterasu had so much personality. Generally upbeat and at ease with her surroundings, she doesn't seem to take herself or life all that seriously, even though she's a goddess and a messiah. Plus, like the Hitoshura, she's dazzling to watch on screen...
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Haruka Takamori from Beat Blades Haruka, student by day, and lightning powered ninja by night.

Nathan Drake, from the Uncharted series, he's kinda handsome.
Furie

Post by Furie »

@nuhkuhl

I was also considering putting in some silent protagonist in my list, but decided against them because of their seeming lack of obvious personality. I'm actually really glad you chose one.

I think that even silent protagonists have a sort of personality to them. Sure, it's not written in stone, and any player can fill in a personality of their own choosing, but I think that's what makes silent protagonist great- the character is what you make them to be.

So, adding to my list, I think my all time favorite character would be...

Wander, from Shadow of the Colossus. He defies the odds for a girl who's relationship with him is unknown to us. His intentions are questionable the entire time- is he a valiant young man who was manipulated? Did he know what he was getting into the entire time? The mystery surrounding his personality is intriguing to me, and the personality I've made for him in my mind appeals to my interests.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

I'm going to avoid using .hack characters at this point, since I have other game series I do like in that sense...

1. Doll Master / Hand of Death from Dewprism : This guy managed to hide his identity really well. And with the exception of the Rue path, maintains it, even to death. He's a pretty cool character that never seems to lose what he wants. His loyalty is almost crazy in how well rewarded or betrayed it is. That and he's the hardest boss fight of the game in Rue's path.

2. Frank Fontaine from Bioshock : I have to be honest and say Fontaine was probably the best villain so far in the series. Unlike Sophia, there is no doubt to what he wants and he doesn't give any excuses or try to crock up lies. Once he's got what he wants in his mind, he doesn't give up until someone stops him. There's also the fact he outsmarted everyone in the game except for you. I like Sander Cohen too... but he's a little disturbing.

3. Quistis from Final Fantasy VIII : Given her role, Quistis does more than she really has to. I like her role as potential love interest and particularly taking care of Squall properly.

I'll add on more in another post if I think of them.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Furie wrote:Wander, from Shadow of the Colossus. He defies the odds for a girl who's relationship with him is unknown to us. His intentions are questionable the entire time- is he a valiant young man who was manipulated? Did he know what he was getting into the entire time? The mystery surrounding his personality is intriguing to me, and the personality I've made for him in my mind appeals to my interests.
Oh Wander, such a character full of mystery and there's no way we can say what his true intentions are, or how his personallity really is...all we know for sure is that he's brave, powerful, unflinching against the craziest danger, and cares alot for his little horse...sorta :3 Everything else we just assume or imagine on our own. lol

And if we talk about silent protagonists, that despite not really saying a word or having any display of personallity, are amazing badasses worth of admiration and respect, then i have to mention this guy:

On his game he's just some random trainer from some little random town, happens to help alot of people, is well-liked by everyone, is very good with his pokemanz and is able to easily defeat all Gym leaders, defeated some bad guys too, and eventually defeated the Elite Four, swiftly taking away the title of Champion from his snobby rival.

Everywhere else, he's THE Pokemon Master, the most badass trainer that has ever existed, almost a living legend for being so awesome and being able to take down the entire Team Rocket on his own (because apparently such corporate mafia wasn't able to just shoot the kid down or something), and now he awaits in one of the most dangerous places, for a trainer worthy enough to challenge him. That, or he has been trapped in there for a long time, and really wants to leave and get some help but his lack of speech makes that difficult D: lol

Anyways, he's one of my favorite silent protagonists, perhaps my top favorite one (i admire Hitoshura but i've never played any SMT games...in fact HE is the reason why i don't want to play any of those games, he's THAT almighty D8 lol), he's also one of the most difficult trainers to face in all Pokemon games (you'll need more than luck to defeat his Snorlax in G/S/C without a ghost or fighting Pokemon), and i love all the great artwork people have made for him. They really make him look badass, serious, and even sexy :3 lol
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

TheSorrow wrote:On his game he's just some random trainer from some little random town, happens to help alot of people, is well-liked by everyone, is very good with his pokemanz and is able to easily defeat all Gym leaders, defeated some bad guys too, and eventually defeated the Elite Four, swiftly taking away the title of Champion from his snobby rival.

Everywhere else, he's THE Pokemon Master, the most badass trainer that has ever existed, almost a living legend for being so awesome and being able to take down the entire Team Rocket on his own (because apparently such corporate mafia wasn't able to just shoot the kid down or something), and now he awaits in one of the most dangerous places, for a trainer worthy enough to challenge him. That, or he has been trapped in there for a long time, and really wants to leave and get some help but his lack of speech makes that difficult D: lol

Anyways, he's one of my favorite silent protagonists, perhaps my top favorite one (i admire Hitoshura but i've never played any SMT games...in fact HE is the reason why i don't want to play any of those games, he's THAT almighty D8 lol), he's also one of the most difficult trainers to face in all Pokemon games (you'll need more than luck to defeat his Snorlax in G/S/C without a ghost or fighting Pokemon), and i love all the great artwork people have made for him. They really make him look badass, serious, and even sexy :3 lol
I was having trouble deciding which character was my favorite until you posted that. I feel the same way about it. He's not Ash, he's Red; the greatest trainer that ever lived. The one that caught ALL the original 151. The one that when you find that cave, wonder what's in it, and then the battle scene starts, he sends a chill of excitement up your spine. The TRUE Final Boss.

My second favorite would have to be Monster Hunter.

As your character the Hunter is put through hell to protect a village from the rampage of countless monsters. And even though they're helping, the only thing they don't have to do themselves is make the Armor and Weapons, but they still have to get the blacksmith the materials and money he needs to make them! All this while the monsters hammer home that you're NOT a god by any means. Just a few of hits and you're done for! You need the skill to track, anticipate, and maneuver around the enemy, and it only gets easier when you learn how they behave. There is no leveling up, only your own personal skill and the quality of your equipment. That's why the Hunter is my choice.

It's also pretty nice that they have believably armored female versions too.

Last edited by Erranty on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shugo_lover
The Oath Keeper
The Oath Keeper

Post by shugo_lover »

TheSorrow wrote:If you mean a character that i really love because of his attitude, his looks, the way he speaks, the things he does and the choices he makes, his immense intelligence and strength, who makes me feel giddy whenever i see him appear, and is my favorite character not just in gaming, but in everything that i've ever seen, then we're talking about him:

ALBERT WESKER O3O
Oh, god not Wesker! I hate him so much and not just because he's a pain in the ass to beat in the 5th game. Dx
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Erranty wrote:I was having trouble deciding which character was my favorite until you posted that. I feel the same way about it. He's not Ash, he's Red; the greatest trainer that ever lived. The one that caught ALL the original 151. The one that when you find that cave, wonder what's in it, and then the battle scene starts, he sends a chill of excitement up your spine. The TRUE Final Boss.
I ENTIRELY AGREE WITH YOU!! 8DD He is the ULTIMATE Final Boss, plus his theme from G/S/C is just the best theme of ALL Pokemon battles...it also sounds pretty cool in Heart Gold/Soul Silver but for some reason the battle doesn't feel as epic in that game D:
And pfft, despite their somewhat-similar looks (and just because Ash was based off Red), there is just NO comparison between Ash and Red. One is the greatest Pokemon Master in existence, the other is some dumb kid that never grows up either physically or mentally and can't even figure out elemental weaknesses after YEARS of Pokemon training...or whatever he has been doing all this time D: lol

BTW, your Monster Hunter images don't work. Bad hotlinking and stuffz ;c
shugo_lover wrote:Oh, god not Wesker! I hate him so much and not just because he's a pain in the ass to beat in the 5th game. Dx
Oh, he's not a pain to defeat on Resident Evil 5, he's a HUGE pain to defeat in PROFESSIONAL mode in Resident Evil 5!!! But don't you just love him for that, how AWESOME he is~ CX lol
And he's the true villian of the entire Resident Evil series, so you shouldn't expect him to go down in one easy battle :3 All his battles are amazing, though in the last one he seriously snaps and loses his coolness, but eh, the good guys just had to win and there's no way they could've defeated Wesker at his best. In the first battle they don't even manage to scratch him, and gameplay-wise you need to headshot him like 10 times with freaking Magnum bullets just to shake him up a bit D8 lol
My favorite battle against him is in that area with the missiles and stuff. Wesker is so awesome in that battle he can rip your heart out. Literally piercing your chest with his hand and pulling it out x3 lol
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

TheSorrow wrote:BTW, your Monster Hunter images don't work. Bad hotlinking and stuffz ;c
Is it fixed now? I've been avoiding Photobucket lately because they keep downsizing the images I upload, causing quality loss. But if I have no other choice I'll use them. It's just strange because I wasn't having any trouble with it.

That first image loses so much of it's amazement at such a small size. I have it as my desktop background at 1080 and it looks amazing.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Erranty wrote:
TheSorrow wrote:BTW, your Monster Hunter images don't work. Bad hotlinking and stuffz ;c
Is it fixed now? I've been avoiding Photobucket lately because they keep downsizing the images I upload, causing quality loss. But if I have no other choice I'll use them. It's just strange because I wasn't having any trouble with it.

That first image loses so much of it's amazement at such a small size. I have it as my desktop background at 1080 and it looks amazing.
All working well now, i can perfectly see dat ass and DAT sword. lol

And you're not the only one with problems with Photobucket. Other members have complained too about downsizing and quality loss D:
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

Dante. Devil May Cry 1-4. Do i even need words for this one?

Alex Mercer. Prototype. A son of a b*tch that cares about himself and his family, ended with a whole army, sent thousands of infected ppl to Hell.... C'Mon!

Altair. Assassin's Creed. Vengeance... Wrath... Coolness... Although he doesn't know how to swim he can kill you with one knife.

Minato Arisato. Persona 3. Yet another silent character, he was the coolest guy that still lives(in all our souls). he passed the hardest things, he saved earth, sealed Nyx, suffered the pain of the seal, being constantly pestered by a giant beast. Shot in his head like 142537448043 times and never died, he got all the girls in his school in less than a year. Does this guy needs personality?

Raidou Kuzunoha the 14th. Devil Summoner. He beat a soulless army, need more examples? he captures demons and puts them in essay tubes to use them later. Not enough? He's still human!

for now can't remember more that haven't been mentioned in here...