Your favorite places in gaming?

Video game discussion, encompassing all genres and platforms

Moderator: Moderators

Furie

Your favorite places in gaming?

Post by Furie »

Ever find yourself staring in awe as you traverse a digital land? Are there places in games that calm and relax you? Places that you can stay in for hours on end without getting bored of it just because of its beauty?

My absolute favorite is the Earth Song Falls from World of Warcraft. The teal pristine waters and roar of the falls, the way the deep, vibrant green of the moss contrasts with the stark grey of the sheer rocky walls. I find myself returning over and over even after I've out leveled it. Heck, I even return there on my own just so my character can have "lunch" whilst looking out at the falls.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Re: Your favorite places in gaming?

Post by TheSorrow »

Shadow of the Colossus. All of it. I could just stop playing while looking around at the seriously-artistic landscape. Or stay at some distance from a Colossi just to admire their great and menancing looks.
There's several places in several Assassin's Creed games, too. Like a huge valley in AC1, or the view on a cliff on AC2:R with the Roman Colosseum at the end, or even the Villa Auditore. Those games are full of beautiful areas too, where you just have to stop playing simply to admire the beauty of such graphics and the perfect designs of the buildings and landscape. Of course, silently killing a few dumb soldiers with such beautiful background sight is pretty cool as well. And i'm sure AC3 has plenty of beautiful areas too, despite my strong dislikes to play that game.
God of War can also impress with their beautiful graphics sometimes. The realm of Hades in God of War 3 has some pretty epic and beautiful scenarios.

Can't find a proper image as example though ;C I would need to take a screenshot or something.
Furie

Post by Furie »

I'm so happy to meet so many Shadow of the Colossus fans! I totally agree- every where in Shadow of the Colossus is amazing.

I liked the scenery in Assassin's Creed- especially from the roof tops, but the street view is too crowded for me usually. Still, I do agree it's beautiful. I haven't played AC3, so I can't really comment on the scenery from that. Nor God of War, haha. Also, heck yes you should show some screen shots! Let's fill this thread with beautiful images!

I have a love/hate relationship with Skyrim. I don't really like the scenery- the continuous drab white and browns and muted greens don't really appeal to me... however...
Some times...
((aw... the sites I upload images on are all having issues.))

Anyway, the night sky in Skyrim is probably the best I've ever seen in any video game ever.
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

I totally agree with sorrow on the colossi and AC stuff.

i took like 40 minutes on the desert flying(can't remember his name) one just to look down and up! (I wanna fly~ Over the rainbow~! So high~!)

As for AC i just like how i feel like I'm the assassin, i mean, even in the scenes i could move around freely(Forced kisses FTW! lol) but what i liked the most is the view in AC where you climb up those towers(can't remember their name, been playing AC in Spanish :P) where you do the synchronization thing, then JUMP off a faith leap. So beautiful :'D, so yeah. I'm all up for Sorrow's opinion
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

AZURE-KITE wrote:As for AC i just like how i feel like I'm the assassin, i mean, even in the scenes i could move around freely(Forced kisses FTW! lol) but what i liked the most is the view in AC where you climb up those towers(can't remember their name, been playing AC in Spanish :P) where you do the synchronization thing, then JUMP off a faith leap.
I never played Assassin's Creed in Spanish, my PS3 is forever set in English. What do they call viewpoints in spanish? Atalayas? XD
And i agree with you, the sight far up in those viewpoints can be very beautiful, admiring the city and the whole landscape from far above. It's especially better when you climb some of the largest buildings and cathedrals, because it's already exciting when you start climbing, looking for where you're gonna make the next jump, seeing your little assassin character go higher and higher, and then arrive at the very top which sometimes is just a thin piece of metal, being able to look the entire area and the horizon, and then, make the highest leap of faith you've done. Quite amazing, it is XD
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

TheSorrow wrote:What do they call viewpoints in spanish? Atalayas? XD
To tell the truth? yeah .3.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

My favorite is probably the tower in Dewprism. It's got monsters and lots of interesting places to visit. Though, it is towards the end of the game, so too spoiler-ish and hard to find as many images of it.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Greydall plain in WKC, would be a great place to walk around in if it wasn't for all the monsters, that and I just love the Music.
Furie

Post by Furie »

@Kaori, I think you just gave me the next game I need to play. ^^
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Furie wrote:@Kaori, I think you just gave me the next game I need to play. ^^
I forgot to mention its for PS3, if you want it get WKC 2 it has both 1 and 2 in it so you don't have to worry.
shugo_lover
The Oath Keeper
The Oath Keeper

Post by shugo_lover »

There's a lot of video games I've played with a lot of scenery in it that I've loved or found beautiful (Can't think of them off the top of my head though). The only one I can think of off the top of my head right now is Shadow Moses from Metal Gear Solid 4. I love snow scenes, areas, levels, etc and in MSG4 the snow is just beautifully done.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

shugo_lover wrote:There's a lot of video games I've played with a lot of scenery in it that I've loved or found beautiful (Can't think of them off the top of my head though). The only one I can think of off the top of my head right now is Shadow Moses from Metal Gear Solid 4. I love snow scenes, areas, levels, etc and in MSG4 the snow is just beautifully done.
Oh yeah, that place is just BEAUTIFUL, and the first time i got to that place, i really cried. The scenario is perfectly made for both visual appealing and nostalgic purposes. Then you approach it and the main theme from MGS starts playing. And then, you get some audio/video flashbacks as you walk through it, along with the sound of the chill wind and tbe background music still playing. Beautiful, purely beautiful ಥ3ಥ Definetly my favorite area in my favorite game of all time.
shugo_lover
The Oath Keeper
The Oath Keeper

Post by shugo_lover »

TheSorrow wrote:
shugo_lover wrote:There's a lot of video games I've played with a lot of scenery in it that I've loved or found beautiful (Can't think of them off the top of my head though). The only one I can think of off the top of my head right now is Shadow Moses from Metal Gear Solid 4. I love snow scenes, areas, levels, etc and in MSG4 the snow is just beautifully done.
Oh yeah, that place is just BEAUTIFUL, and the first time i got to that place, i really cried. The scenario is perfectly made for both visual appealing and nostalgic purposes. Then you approach it and the main theme from MGS starts playing. And then, you get some audio/video flashbacks as you walk through it, along with the sound of the chill wind and tbe background music still playing. Beautiful, purely beautiful ಥ3ಥ Definetly my favorite area in my favorite game of all time.
I know right! It was so emotional.
.hack-fan7

Post by .hack-fan7 »

what a good topic... i had to think a little about this one but my
favorite place would have to be soul reaver's abyss area.
it was pretty cool when i played it way back when although... if i played it now I'd probably think it was pixelated crap...
AxisLight

Post by AxisLight »

Theres a special secret place i like to go to in the Sylvari home town in GW2 that sometimes I'll just log on, and go stand there just because i love it there.
Candy Euphoria

Post by Candy Euphoria »

Anybody here played Ragnarok? There was this cute spot one area south from Geffen. It was a series of floating islets that leads to a small, garden-like place.
I always kept one of my saved warps there!
lycorispeony

Post by lycorispeony »

Candy Euphoria wrote:Anybody here played Ragnarok? There was this cute spot one area south from Geffen. It was a series of floating islets that leads to a small, garden-like place.
I always kept one of my saved warps there!
It is a pretty nifty place~ I prefer the witch's house in Nifleheim though, but alas, iRO won't allow me to create a warp there. Another nifty places from RO (I guess) would be Malangdo Island with its population of cat-people and possibly that odd hut in Comodo beach somewhere.

I haven't play much games, but my favourite area from ARF (Arc Rise Fantasia) is the Lascarde Skywalk and the town of Opalus =D Any snow covered area is usually pretty...