.hack//Fragment

Video game discussion, encompassing all genres and platforms

Moderator: Moderators

Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Re: .hack//Fragment

Post by Kuukai »

Coldbird looked into that ages ago. He said communication is encrypted so it would be very hard to reverse engineer a server. There is a PC "area server" you can download for free, but without the central server there's no way to tell fragment to connect to it, and the central server isn't up any more and as I explained would be hard to recreate.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

I'd rather have them make a PS3 game that has online like Phantasy Star, where you join a group through Player to Host instead of Player to Server. They could still have servers, but make them strictly a 3D menu system where selecting a new section zooms your camera around to different shops. They could have another room for B/S/T Shops, Guild Halls, and Arenas in each Server. Voice Support would already be standard since its PS3 we're talking about here.

The real question is, would they use a pre-existing version of Za Warudo, or create an entirely new one just for us, with cool weapons, classes, and gear?
CubiaRemains

Post by CubiaRemains »

Verhzus wrote:Well, if someone could get a fragment server up, you could count me in! I wasn't aware of the .hack series when Fragment was still around...so It's the only game I haven't played from the series. I would be delighted to see that changed! ;)
well id start it up if i had the server software! ive only had experince running a minecraft server but i have the brute strengh of computers to run it if i got my paws on the software! and i know how to connect to it myself!
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Erranty wrote:The real question is, would they use a pre-existing version of Za Warudo, or create an entirely new one just for us, with cool weapons, classes, and gear?
The existing game would make a terrible real MMO, but at the same time the last thing we need is a 7th version of The World:
VERSIONS OF THE WORLD SEEN BETWEEN 2002 AND 2010:
-The World
-The World R:2

IN THE LAST TWO YEARS:
-The World R:X
-Fragment (in Link)
-The World FORCE:ERA
-Whatever the new version in Game Project is (they've said it isn't FORCE:ERA)
CubiaRemains wrote:well id start it up if i had the server software! ive only had experince running a minecraft server but i have the brute strengh of computers to run it if i got my paws on the software! and i know how to connect to it myself!
It's impossible unless you have a degree in cryptology. See my other post above. The sever you want doesn't exist. There's no direct connect option for area servers, the game just looks for the central server, which also handles all the game features like guilds and email. The online play works less like Minecraft and more like Halo on Xbox Live. If you have your own Halo server and your Xbox connecting to it without a Live account, then maybe you can do this...
hidora

Post by hidora »

Based solely on the details of FORCE:ERA you guys posted on the front page (because I haven't seen the movie), it'd make a better MMO than the existing games already ._.
SkyDrive

Post by SkyDrive »

Verhzus wrote:Well, if someone could get a fragment server up, you could count me in! I wasn't aware of the .hack series when Fragment was still around...so It's the only game I haven't played from the series. I would be delighted to see that changed! ;)

I know I will get my head bitten off for posting a link but if anyone wants a link to the patch then here it is wish I had the ISO but megaupload got torn down =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOamMKj-Jko <- This vid is not new I found gameplay of what the patch would look like from ColdBird.

Also off topic I got the Forbidden Sanctum up I know I might again get my head bit off by an admin or something but it's worth a shot =P the audio might be a bit scratchy but I might re record the audio. Oh PS sorry for any noises in the background >_< but yeah hope everyone enjoys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_xFcA2frBE

Oh I found my old dot hack disks so I feel good now I might play them again ^_^
CubiaRemains

Post by CubiaRemains »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTH_cp7 ... re=mh_lolz

proof that i own the game and can play it.

can anyone good screen recorder? banicam and debute suck.
DevDevil

Post by DevDevil »

I have .Hack//Fragment and all the other games ;D I got em all while they were cheap ($15-40) i'm planning on doing a playthrough of the games soon but i'm in need of a new ps2, mine is broken... found someone near me selling one for $35 so maybe i'll buy it?
Coldbird

AW: .hack//Fragment

Post by Coldbird »

Grave digging alarm but either way...

The project isn't abandoned, was just delayed for several reasons concerning real life...

I am working on it again in fact, rewriting the patch from scratch as the r2 and r3 one were glitched.

As for online mode... It works like this...

1. Ps2 contacts the dnas Sony server of your region, reports the game product code and gets one of the following result values:

Invalid region (searching for Japanese game on non Japanese server)
Discontinued (game has been shut down)
Okay (everything is fine)

I had to patch this check up so it always thinks it received okay here.

2. After dnas okay it attempts to contact the lobby. I've patched the game to connect to my own server... (yes, I've got a dummy lobby server).

I've noticed that the data is encrypted, luckily though the lobby server encryption is the same one used in the area server PC application, so I can extract the crypto from there.

Custom fragment server is very possible...
God Ginrai

Post by God Ginrai »

That would be awesome! Would it only be possible on a PS2 emulator on the computer? Or would it be possible on a PS2 as well?

-God Ginrai
Coldbird

Post by Coldbird »

Right now it would only work on ps2, the PC ps2 emulator can't do Ethernet properly.
TrueNeptune

Post by TrueNeptune »

Thats awesome, Coldbird! But honestly, i kinda realized the other day that i dont really mind if custom online servers ever come to life for Fragment or if they don't. I would love to just be able to enjoy the offline mode in Full English : P

Now THATS a dream : D
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

Quite impressive! I am looking forward to where you take this project ColdBird!
Coldbird

Post by Coldbird »

Posted some screen shots in the integrability forum.
Work in progress that is.
AmorousLovers

Post by AmorousLovers »

So, I've been sitting in hope of this project.. for awhile now. lol. I'm one of the many that have an "itch", per say, for an online .hack related game..and the urge grows. I've tried waiting for other previous .hack MMORPG recreations, but it's not helping much. I've been watching this post almost three times a week for any change.. hurrhurr.

I hate to bump a topic that's months old, especially on my first post, but I HAVE to know.. is there any real update on this project?
Bashlis

Post by Bashlis »

So i'm posting this on may 17,2013 and wondering on coldbirds progress.
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Post by Erroneous »

Coldbird and the .hack//fragment revival project is back, he's looking for people who played .hack//fragment during the time it was online prior to 2007. If you were playing back then, private message him for some needed feedback.
Onytgvx

Post by Onytgvx »

I got my copy of //fragment new and sealed for 13€ on Amazon. 80 bucks seems a bit overpriced :P
Coldbird

Post by Coldbird »

Just wanted to push this rather old topic a bit as we are making progress.
Online Play already works, see http://www.coldbird.net/welcome-to-the-world/ for more information.

Most of the Lobby Functions were dummied out with test-data just to see how each function works, so don't expect Guilds, BBS or the Email function to work anytime soon (we are working on it though).

Everything about the main game though works great. :)
Public Beta will commence sometime this weekend after preparing the public client, writing tutorials, etc.

We are also searching for patrons to finance hosting the server, right now we host it on a 2GB RAM linux vserver which is anything but suboptimal, but should get the job done for now.
Belldandu

Post by Belldandu »

Coldbird wrote:Just wanted to push this rather old topic a bit as we are making progress.
Online Play already works, see http://www.coldbird.net/welcome-to-the-world/ for more information.

Most of the Lobby Functions were dummied out with test-data just to see how each function works, so don't expect Guilds, BBS or the Email function to work anytime soon (we are working on it though).

Everything about the main game though works great. :)
Public Beta will commence sometime this weekend after preparing the public client, writing tutorials, etc.

We are also searching for patrons to finance hosting the server, right now we host it on a 2GB RAM linux vserver which is anything but suboptimal, but should get the job done for now.
And it's been a year since this thread has been last posted in and just wanted to say.

I'm hosting 8 of the area servers for this project.

The project is still ongoing.

http://www.coldbird.net/new-fragment-area-server-out/

http://www.coldbird.net/server-move-reloaded/

Hoping to see you in "The World"
Erroneous wrote:Coldbird and the .hack//fragment revival project is back, he's looking for people who played .hack//fragment during the time it was online prior to 2007. If you were playing back then, private message him for some needed feedback.
This still stands.