Origin of names

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
The*true*Terror Of Death
Posts: 952
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 1:26 pm
Location: Delta Hidden Forbidden Azure Hall
Contact:

Post by The*true*Terror Of Death » Wed May 30, 2007 9:16 am

Azure crow wrote:
Kite: Kitou
I'm sure it stands for something,but I can't remember...
[/quote]

nice try crow. btw did u read my post on the amv shop?

User avatar
ReiMehari
Posts: 852
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: New York

Post by ReiMehari » Wed May 30, 2007 12:33 pm

Umm...he was as high as a ----?

User avatar
Defessus
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 2:14 am
Location: I suppose you could say the "Titanic".....

Post by Defessus » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:30 am

I thought Kite(kaitou) meant "phantom thief" in japanese. From what i recall (reads wiki a lot) the .hack games were supposed to about a character who was gonna be a phantom thief or something........My explanation sucks why don't i just post the info. from wiki? Explanation: Kite's name ; The reason Kite chose his name is unknown, but the development team that created .hack derived it from "Kaitou", a Japanese word meaning "phantom thief". .hack started out as a game about a thief in a fantasy setting, and that name stuck.

User avatar
The*true*Terror Of Death
Posts: 952
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 1:26 pm
Location: Delta Hidden Forbidden Azure Hall
Contact:

Post by The*true*Terror Of Death » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:17 am

Defessus wrote:I thought Kite(kaitou) meant "phantom thief" in japanese. From what i recall (reads wiki a lot) the .hack games were supposed to about a character who was gonna be a phantom thief or something........My explanation sucks why don't i just post the info. from wiki? Explanation: Kite's name ; The reason Kite chose his name is unknown, but the development team that created .hack derived it from "Kaitou", a Japanese word meaning "phantom thief". .hack started out as a game about a thief in a fantasy setting, and that name stuck.
if thats tue then y was the game changed, this explanation opens up new questions...... thnks.

User avatar
Darkmetrau
Tomorrow's Poet
Tomorrow's Poet
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Origin of names

Post by Darkmetrau » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:41 am

Endrance'sCat wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:Mia: May relate to the abbrieiation for 'Missing In Action.
Or the more common name origin, "mine", in Italian I think.
mia in italain means mine ¬¬

User avatar
The*true*Terror Of Death
Posts: 952
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 1:26 pm
Location: Delta Hidden Forbidden Azure Hall
Contact:

Re: Origin of names

Post by The*true*Terror Of Death » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:48 am

Darkmetrau wrote:
Endrance'sCat wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:Mia: May relate to the abbrieiation for 'Missing In Action.
Or the more common name origin, "mine", in Italian I think.
mia in italain means mine ¬¬
so it does fit. mine..... mia.... it fits her role as belonging to elk, endrance and the world itself. "SHES MINE"

User avatar
Darkmetrau
Tomorrow's Poet
Tomorrow's Poet
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Origin of names

Post by Darkmetrau » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:51 am

The*true*Terror Of Death wrote:
Darkmetrau wrote:
Endrance'sCat wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:Mia: May relate to the abbrieiation for 'Missing In Action.
Or the more common name origin, "mine", in Italian I think.
mia in italain means mine ¬¬
so it does fit. mine..... mia.... it fits her role as belonging to elk, endrance and the world itself. "SHES MINE"
thats right mia=mine=belongs to elk not so hard to understand is it

User avatar
The*true*Terror Of Death
Posts: 952
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 1:26 pm
Location: Delta Hidden Forbidden Azure Hall
Contact:

Re: Origin of names

Post by The*true*Terror Of Death » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:53 am

Darkmetrau wrote:
The*true*Terror Of Death wrote:
Darkmetrau wrote:
Endrance'sCat wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:Mia: May relate to the abbrieiation for 'Missing In Action.
Or the more common name origin, "mine", in Italian I think.
mia in italain means mine ¬¬
so it does fit. mine..... mia.... it fits her role as belonging to elk, endrance and the world itself. "SHES MINE"
thats right mia=mine=belongs to elk not so hard to understand is it
no... its just so retarded u dont realy want to get it at first.

User avatar
juunishi master
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:48 am
Location: The World

Post by juunishi master » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:48 am

Oh? So Mia doesn't stand for Missing In Action anymore?

Well, yeah. Actually Mia=mine is better.

Hehe.

User avatar
The*true*Terror Of Death
Posts: 952
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 1:26 pm
Location: Delta Hidden Forbidden Azure Hall
Contact:

Post by The*true*Terror Of Death » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:41 am

lol. m.i.a. lol its not a.i.d.a. its aids.

User avatar
Reon
Posts: 532
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:36 pm

Re: Origin of names

Post by Reon » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:29 pm

Darkmetrau wrote:
Endrance'sCat wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:Mia: May relate to the abbrieiation for 'Missing In Action.
Or the more common name origin, "mine", in Italian I think.
mia in italain means mine ¬¬
Yeah, well Tsukasa or Su Casa is Spanish for "Her House" and Reina is Spanish for "Queen." Sometimes, it just doesn't make sense.

User avatar
juunishi master
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:48 am
Location: The World

Re: Origin of names

Post by juunishi master » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:03 am

Hmm, I don't think "Tsukasa" come from Spanish.

Tsukasa's name comes from the kanji "ji" from the player (An Shoji). Tsukasa is a common name in Japan.

Hehe.

User avatar
Reon
Posts: 532
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:36 pm

Re: Origin of names

Post by Reon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:15 pm

juunishi master wrote:Hmm, I don't think "Tsukasa" come from Spanish.

Tsukasa's name comes from the kanji "ji" from the player (An Shoji). Tsukasa is a common name in Japan.

Hehe.
That was the joke. :?

User avatar
White_Wolf
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:43 pm

Re: Origin of names

Post by White_Wolf » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:33 pm

Mia: Abberation Of The Entangled...

coming from the Greek Mythology of Gods...

Mia was supposedly a name to represent the binding sins of our souls that were symbolized as "chains" that we would carry in the after life...

so in-game Mia when she is "confused and infected" supposedly fighting the virus itself, she is surrounded by the games sin's and entanglements... that is my theory of why the name MIA was used

User avatar
Silent King
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:18 pm
Location: The Garden of Everything
Contact:

Re: Origin of names

Post by Silent King » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:17 pm

Corbenik is the name of the castle from which the Fisher King or Wounded King rules, he who is charged with keeping the Holy Grail in... Arthurian legend, was it?

User avatar
Reigai
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 10:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Origin of names

Post by Reigai » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:57 pm

William Butler Yeats, a poet mentioned in a few .hack// publications, had a relationship with Georgie Hyde Lees: a woman who also went by the name of Maud Gonne. Morganna Mode Gone may be a mistranslation of Maud Gonne but this remains unconfirmed due to the mistranslation being used in both Japanese and English.

User avatar
silabus
Posts: 1225
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:06 pm
Location: Hidden Forbidden Trilogy Film

Re: Origin of names

Post by silabus » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:23 pm

and Mimiru -Me-miró = she saw me in spanish

User avatar
Thyried
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:52 am
Location: Tied to my computer (almost) 24/7

Re: Origin of names

Post by Thyried » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:27 am

silabus wrote:and Mimiru -Me-miró = she saw me in spanish
Actually, Mimiru's name comes from another PC's name, Mimika, whom she thinks of as a "teacher".

User avatar
Geir
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:42 pm

Re: Origin of names

Post by Geir » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:51 am

Actually, if you think about it, "she saw me" does fit for her name. Mimiru saw the PC Mimika and then made her character; ergo, it fits. It's probably a double-name-thingy.

Zyxith
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:05 am

Re: Origin of names

Post by Zyxith » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:56 am

Mimiru = name taken from Mimika, a character played by 3 girls that Mimiru's real self looked up to while she was playing her first character. Mimiru was her second.

Tsukasa, written as 司 if I recall could come from 司る "Tsukasadoru" or "To Administer"

I use to think Maha/Macha was based off a Trinity Goddess, playing off the fact she had 3 forms. Maha the short Mage cat, Mia and Macha the Temptress.

As for Kite's name, has anyone noticed how during the Opening the the Epitaph of Twilight it says "Dem Abbend Drachen"? which if I wrote it right means "The Twilight Dragon" in German, but Drachen could be translated to be "Kite" which is a type of Dragon.

Post Reply