Origin of names

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

juunishi master

Post by juunishi master »

Oh yeah. That's right. Nobody say something about Cubia.

You know? The first time I read "Cubia", I think about "Cube" (in words, not in shape).

I wanna know too. Maybe there's something in .hack//Wiki. Let me take a look there.

Hehe.
Azure Knight
The Sasquatch King
The Sasquatch King

Post by Azure Knight »

... That one character "angel hair" named her character after a pasta...

lol all the good ones are taken.
juunishi master

Is there any character named "angel hair"? I don't remember about that, but that's exactly where her name came from. It's one of the "pasta family". I've found it in Wikipedia.

Btw, I've found something interesting lately. Take a look at this diagram from http://www.pantheon.org

There's Nine Waves. I wonder if it's very similar to the Cursed Waves we've found in .hack? I'll get more information soon.

I haven't get a lot about Cubia and Haseo. Is it possible that their names come from The Bible?

Hehe.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Cubia's name probably comes from something religious, either the Greek word "kubia" used for "trickery" in the bible (it actually comes from "cube", as in "dice", as in "crooked playing"), or the Arabic word "qubia", which may or may not be the same thing (soooo hard to look this up online).

Haseo's name is a reading for Bashou, the poet. Sora's name is a re-kanji of his disciple. This is the subconscious theme  Ryou Misaki has given to his characters.
juunishi master

Arabic words... Hmm... Maybe I should ask someone about this one. Did you find the word "Cubia" in Bible, Kuukai-senpai?

*sigh*

I still don't understand Elk. Why it should be "Elk"?

Hehe.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Well, he seems western-religion-themed, with his gomorrahs and his jihads...

"Elk" sorta fits. The way he  saves Kite near the end of the game kinda resembles the way an elk jumps into traffic. That's totally what they were going for. What's sad is that's actually the strongest connection to the name I can see...
Kaoshima

Post by Kaoshima »

juunishi master wrote:Is there any character named "angel hair"? I don't remember about that, but that's exactly where her name came from. It's one of the "pasta family". I've found it in Wikipedia.

Btw, I've found something interesting lately. Take a look at this diagram from http://www.pantheon.org

There's Nine Waves. I wonder if it's very similar to the Cursed Waves we've found in .hack? I'll get more information soon.

I haven't get a lot about Cubia and Haseo. Is it possible that their names come from The Bible?

Hehe.
There is a book of Hosea in the Bible, but I think that's mostly irrelevant, Kuukai-sama's explanation seems to fit a lot better. And I couldn't help but notice, in the lower left-hand corner of that image is the name "Forseti" Possibly the Origin for "Folset the God of Law"?
GamerKale

Post by GamerKale »

I believe so considering Forseti is one of the two Norse gods of justice.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

It is. That's how I translated it until I was beaten over the head with the localized names...
juunishi master

Moonstone --> it's a gemstone name (Why Moonstone choose this as his name? Is it coneected with someone named Aquamarine?)

Natsume --> it's also her real name too. Her real name is Natsume Oguro. Natsume is also has a meaning a type of plant (I don't know what plant is it, but it looks like it's Zizyphus rotundifolia). And... Natsume is also a name for tea caddy in Japanese ceremony (look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaki)

Gardenia --> it's from a genus of a flowering plant (well, you can see the info about it in Wikipedia)

Hehe.
juunishi master

Someone told me that the origin of Cubia's name could be found in .hack//Another Birth Vol. 3.

Unfortunately, I don't have it, so I can't check it.

Hehe.
zay/fanofsilibus

Post by zay/fanofsilibus »

Riding the Wave is Skeith, the Shadow of Death, to drown all that stands." Skeith was a program designed to collect data on human emotions and reactions to death for the ultimate AI. "Skeith" means "Shadow" in Old Scottish

"Mirage of Deceit, Innis, Betray all with the flawed image, and did aid the Wave." Innis was a program designed to collect data on human reactions to deceit. "Innis" is a pun on the Latin word meaning "Meaningless". This would seem to make sense as Innis appears to be the mold or outline of something.

"And by the Power of Magus, a drop from the Wave doth reach the heavens, and creates a new WaveMagus is a program designed to collect data on the human need to procreate and preserve the species.
The Magi (plural form of Magus) were a tribe from ancient Media. Three famous Magi were the Three Wise Men, most likely making Magus another biblical reference.

"With the Wave, Fidchell, the power to tell the dark future, hope darkens, sadness and despair rule." "Like a frenzied horse that is driven. An unseen wind of plague shrieks across the border. Pandemonium, wailing, and stench of carnage fills the air. There is no place to run. No hope of escape. Those who are mourned will never return. The hands of time cannot be turned back."
Fidchell is a program designed to collect data on the human concept of unavoidable fate. Fidchell is a Celtic version of chess, and according to legends it often has a mystical or divinatory aspect to it. Battles ebb and flow as a result of a game of fidchell.

"Gorre schemes when swallowed by the Cursed Wave." Gorre is a program designed to collect data on human cruelty.
Gorre is another spelling of Gór, a character of Norse legend who was always seen with his brother Nór, hence there are two separate parts of him.

"Macha seduces with the sweet trap." In the Epitaph of Twilight, Macha sets a trap for the enemies of the Cursed Wave. Macha is a program designed to collect data on human affection (but only that which arises from unrequited love). Macha, who is a Celtic war goddess, and the sister of the Celtic goddess Morrigan, or Morganna.

• "Wave reaches the Pinnacle, and escape none can. Tarvos still remains with more cruelty to punish and destroy." In the Epitaph of Twilight, Tarvos stands ready to cruely and mercilessly strike down anyone who manages to escape from the Wave, although it seems that no one can. Tarvos is a program designed to collect data on human jealousy, revenge, and other dark emotions. Tarvos means "bull", and is a bovine deity in some pantheons. It is also the name of one of Saturn's moons.

"And with the turbulent destruction after the Wave. Only a void remains. From deep within the void arrives Corbenik." Corbenik completes the perfect AI by collecting the human emotions towards the meaning of life and death and the purity within their hearts. :wink:
juunishi master

That makes me understand a lot of things like why Gorre always two and why Macha stuck with Morganna.

Hehe.
zay/fanofsilibus

Post by zay/fanofsilibus »

Thank you,I,m not sure what thats from its not mine but i found it in the blackhole that is my mainframe anyway it's wierd how all the other meanings fit with the game :wink:
D3lete

Post by D3lete »

IMO Elk's name is about the tree. He's not a main damage dealer he's there to support his friends with healing magic and support spells just like how a big elk supports us by giving us shade when its too hott
That's probably the best I can come up with :?
Shinsou Wotan

Post by Shinsou Wotan »

D3lete wrote:IMO Elk's name is about the tree. He's not a main damage dealer he's there to support his friends with healing magic and support spells just like how a big elk supports us by giving us shade when its too hott
I think you're confusing "elk" with "elm" there. I've never heard of an elk tree, and neither has my dictionary.
D3lete

Post by D3lete »

Shinsou Wotan wrote:
D3lete wrote:IMO Elk's name is about the tree. He's not a main damage dealer he's there to support his friends with healing magic and support spells just like how a big elk supports us by giving us shade when its too hott
I think you're confusing "elk" with "elm" there. I've never heard of an elk tree, and neither has my dictionary.
lawl! Yeah that's a mistake on my part ^_^
I guess there really was a reason for going to english class...
I was wondering why nobody else thought of the tree idea
The*true*Terror Of Death

Post by The*true*Terror Of Death »

let me ask a question, why did kite name himself kite? whats its meaning. if known plz share.
Azure crow
The Grace of Life
The Grace of Life
Location: Somewhere in the ether, trapped between what is and what could be.

Post by Azure crow »

Kite: Kitou
I'm sure it stands for something,but I can't remember...[/quote]