Origin of names

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

laysh
Sage of Earth
Sage of Earth

Post by laysh »

Morgana mode gone = Morgana le fey in the books of King Arthur.
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

Popular belief... there are many allusions of Morganna's name, it's not safe to simply asusme one. For one Morrigan (A sea hag that control's waves, or something) Morganna Maude Gonne (W.B. Yeats, own unrequited love) Morgana (Goddess of War along with Macha and someone else, in... some mythology) As you mentioned Morgan La Fey, the evil temptress of Arthurian Legend.
laysh
Sage of Earth
Sage of Earth

Post by laysh »

She was also the Sister of King arthur who she wanted to kill with her and his son Mordrid. Since she was jelouse of Arthurs wife. And I don't assume thats exactly were it came fromjust something to think about -_-'
Rare Item

Post by Rare Item »

hmmm...

(Spoiler - Kazu)
Kazu - short for his real name, Fumikazu.
Tylec

Post by Tylec »

I previously suggested that Ovan might be a Latin name to do with eggs (ova) but I've recently discovered that in several languages - Bosnian, Slovene and Serbian - the term for a male ram is 'ovan'.

I think this interpretation could fit: Whatever's up with Ovan's left arm, it certainly doesn't look like it's a benefit to him. Dragging around this enormous steel casket, weighed down by burdensome iron and chains, Ovan does have the qualities of a scapegoat - one punished for the errors of another.
Essence of Transcendence

Post by Essence of Transcendence »

Tylec wrote:I previously suggested that Ovan might be a Latin name to do with eggs (ova) but I've recently discovered that in several languages - Bosnian, Slovene and Serbian - the term for a male ram is 'ovan'.

I think this interpretation could fit: Whatever's up with Ovan's left arm, it certainly doesn't look like it's a benefit to him. Dragging around this enormous steel casket, weighed down by burdensome iron and chains, Ovan does have the qualities of a scapegoat - one punished for the errors of another.
ImpactRogue
lurker
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oAV3ZZYkMfo
This video should clear things up.
Warning: CHOCK FULL OF SPOILERS!

Tylec

Post by Tylec »

I've seen all the videos. I was just keeping things spoiler-free.
Red Frost

Post by Red Frost »

I heard somewhere that "Alkaid" means "Ursa Major" (or Minor), and that means "Big(Little) Bear", which is another name for "The Big(Little) Dipper". Is that correct?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Actually Alkaid/Yowkow is just one of the stars, Eta Ursae Majoris.
Fenris

Post by Fenris »

Kite - Derived from the japanese word 'Kaitou' which means 'Phantom theif', .hack originally started out as a game based on a phantom theif in a fantasy setting and the name stuck (info from .hack//wiki)
Kouen
The Crimson Dusk
The Crimson Dusk

Post by Kouen »

Piros- I don't really get how Hiroshi Matsuyama is related to the name Piroshi. Unless you change the H to a P...
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Yup, that's it. In Japanese it's "Piroshi", which you get by simply adding a mark to "Hiroshi", and it's romanized "Piros" to be cool.
Shinsou Wotan

Post by Shinsou Wotan »

Kouen wrote:Piros- I don't really get how Hiroshi Matsuyama is related to the name Piroshi. Unless you change the H to a P...
If your computer can display Japanese text, this should make it clear:
Hiroshi: ひろし
Piroshi: ぴろし
Red Frost

Post by Red Frost »

Has anyone found out what Haseo's name means? I looked through here, and haven't seen anything... I might've accidentally skipped it, though.

I'm really curious because in G.U. Vol. 1, Atoli asks Haseo what his name means, and it looks like it seemed to hit a nerve. I haven't seen Roots, and have only played Vol. 1.
Maybe that's something we'll find out in Vol.3...
Shinsou Wotan

Post by Shinsou Wotan »

Red Frost wrote:Has anyone found out what Haseo's name means? I looked through here, and haven't seen anything... I might've accidentally skipped it, though.

I'm really curious because in G.U. Vol. 1, Atoli asks Haseo what his name means, and it looks like it seemed to hit a nerve. I haven't seen Roots, and have only played Vol. 1.
Maybe that's something we'll find out in Vol.3...
ハセヲ (Hasewo): Old-fashioned reading of 芭蕉 (Basho), the name of one of the greatest haiku poets of all time.
There may be a connection to Sora, who took his name from one of Basho's disciples.
TheTerrorOfAngst

Post by TheTerrorOfAngst »

There may be a connection to Sora, who took his name from one of Basho's disciples/
The irony of Haseo possibly being Sora grown up just hit me.

Anyhow, I just figured right from the start that Pai (Pi) was just in reference to the mathematic "pi". It'd make sense due to her very tailored nerdslut look and working for an incredibly advanced video game corporation.

I like the oppai joke with the Japanese spelling though.
Gabi

Post by Gabi »

TheTerrorOfAngst wrote:
There may be a connection to Sora, who took his name from one of Basho's disciples/
The irony of Haseo possibly being Sora grown up just hit me.

Anyhow, I just figured right from the start that Pai (Pi) was just in reference to the mathematic "pi". It'd make sense due to her very tailored nerdslut look and working for an incredibly advanced video game corporation.

I like the oppai joke with the Japanese spelling though.
Pi's name comes from the number π, which she believes represents herself: an indivisible and unbreakable woman.

Credit to Wiki

I'm Gabi! :D

Gaspard might means Jasper from the three wise men
Jasper meaning Treasurer - Which relates to him and shop - and him and cards.
Art_Master_Gio

Post by Art_Master_Gio »

Pazuzu wrote: Innis - Possibly "inis", meaning "island" in Irish. The word is also the verb "inis", to tell (as in, tell a story).
This one makes sense to me, since Innis is 'The Mirage of Deceit'. When you tell a story to a child, half the time they believe in the story and it's like decieving them (if you truly believe, clap your hands! ... ehem...). Okay, so my explanation of why it fits is kinda lame.
Xu Yuan wrote: Popular belief... there are many allusions of Morganna's name, it's not safe to simply asusme one. For one Morrigan (A sea hag that control's waves, or something) Morganna Maude Gonne (W.B. Yeats, own unrequited love) Morgana (Goddess of War along with Macha and someone else, in... some mythology) As you mentioned Morgan La Fey, the evil temptress of Arthurian Legend.
Any one of those meanings could also make sense. Morrigan, since Morganna contorlled the different waves like Skeith and Magus, Morganna Maude Gonne since W.B. Yeats has a connection in the story thanks to Hokuto using thta name on the BBS, Morgana since it includes Macha, which is the name of one of the phases... Yeah, one of those names with multiple meanings.
Fleur de Lys

Post by Fleur de Lys »

Fenris wrote:Kite - Derived from the japanese word 'Kaitou' which means 'Phantom theif', .hack originally started out as a game based on a phantom theif in a fantasy setting and the name stuck (info from .hack//wiki)
In all the japanese sites, it's "Kite", and, in fact, kaito is only the japanese pronunciation for Kite.

Yes, Kaitou's meaning is very interesting, but, if you search on the web for "kite", you could find a more interesting connection between this word and the .hack saga. Just look, that's a japanese kite :

In fact, that's a rokkaku kite. Rokkaku means "hexagon" in japanese.

That's a very old kind of kite. It's said to have been used by warrior (to spy). That's why, during the Meiji era, a japanese military reward was The Order of the Golden Kite (kinshibunko).

By the way, in Far-East, kites have also a close link to Heaven (it's believed that they could be messengers from Earth to Heaven).

Here are a link to japanese kites :
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ET3M-TKKW/

And here, a direct link to sanjo rokkaku (and more pics) :
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ET3M-TKKW/rokkaku.html

Fleur de Lys.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

That's really interesting, though they actually have confirmed in an interview that his name comes from Kaitou. They just romanized it, like with Piros, which came from the name Hiroshi.