Page 7 of 7

Re: .hack franchise plot threads that are still unresolved?

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:55 pm
by Kuukai
Isn't it the fault of the company/cabal that recklessly created an unwinnable scenario rather than the guy stuck mopping up their unwinnable scenario? If somebody puts a gun to your head and forces you to chose between the good of the many or the good of the few... that person is the criminal.

I would love to know more about the "double phenomenon" - I might splurge on one of these next time I'm in Japan, but if anyone finds scans that would be great, too.

Re: .hack franchise plot threads that are still unresolved?

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:44 pm
by Keyaki
Kuukai wrote:Isn't it the fault of the company/cabal that recklessly created an unwinnable scenario rather than the guy stuck mopping up their unwinnable scenario? If somebody puts a gun to your head and forces you to chose between the good of the many or the good of the few... that person is the criminal.
You're blaming Mama for AIDA?

Well...they did cause Aura to be created, indirectly. But Aura's disappearance causing the AIDA to appear was entirely on her own volition. I'd say it was just an unprecedented incident.

I would love to know more about the "double phenomenon" - I might splurge on one of these next time I'm in Japan, but if anyone finds scans that would be great, too.
Double phenomenon?

Re: .hack franchise plot threads that are still unresolved?

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:52 pm
by Kuukai
It sounds like an allusion to Tokio in Yata's report.

Mama: Hey this game caused comas, let's not warn anyone, keep it on, and mess with it some more.
Ovan: I'm feeling super evil and reckless today so I'm going to play a game that's one of the best and most meaningful ways to interact with my bedridden sister.

AIDA wasn't predicted, but Mama's actions caused the various problems to begin with, and their actual goal is to trap people in the game so I mean, it's like, "officer, yes that's the truck was planning to steal, but I was planning to do that Thursday - today I just wasn't paying attention and drove it off by accident. Blame Ovan instead."

Re: .hack franchise plot threads that are still unresolved?

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:36 pm
by Keyaki
Kuukai wrote: Mama: Hey this game caused comas, let's not warn anyone, keep it on, and mess with it some more.
Ovan: I'm feeling super evil and reckless today so I'm going to play a game that's one of the best and most meaningful ways to interact with my bedridden sister.

AIDA wasn't predicted, but Mama's actions caused the various problems to begin with, and their actual goal is to trap people in the game so I mean, it's like, "officer, yes that's the truck was planning to steal, but I was planning to do that Thursday - today I just wasn't paying attention and drove it off by accident. Blame Ovan instead."
I suppose. Though good luck trying to prove that in court (Kidding!)
It sounds like an allusion to Tokio in Yata's report.
Yata's report? In //Link? I don't remember that.

Re: .hack franchise plot threads that are still unresolved?

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:30 pm
by Kuukai
No, in the "The Duplicate Phenomenon: Extracts of the Epitaph User's Investigation" bonus booklet mentioned above.

What are the lost weapons really?

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:20 pm
by (Phantom) Thief
So what are the lost weapons really? While I understand that normally the weapons seem to pieces of the epitaphs recovered from deep inside the network, whenever someone recieves their upgrade they also realize a personal epiphany about their lost weapon which imply that the weapons are also spirits, or a piece of the user themselves. Was this ever expanded on?

Meanwhile Kuhn recognizea his as the actual Magus Factor.

Re: What are the lost weapons really?

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:07 am
by Airon
(Phantom) Thief wrote:So what are the lost weapons really? While I understand that normally the weapons seem to pieces of the epitaphs recovered from deep inside the network, whenever someone recieves their upgrade they also realize a personal epiphany about their lost weapon which imply that the weapons are also spirits, or a piece of the user themselves. Was this ever expanded on?

Meanwhile Kuhn recognizea his as the actual Magus Factor.
I figured they were just a missing piece of their epitaphs, and becoming complete helped the user further understand a part of themselves which related to their epitaph. In the GU novels they were the embodiments of the epitaphs, so I think in the GU games that part remained true in some way. Only rather than the whole, they're a fragment of the epitaph. Kuhn's always had a weirdly thorough understanding of his epitaph. He was real comfortable with using propagation, he calls it quicker than any one else it seems, and he picked up on what the lost weapon was right away. IDK if that was ever explained, considering his connection to Magus isn't that big in comparison to Macha or Skeith.

Maybe they came about when the epitaphs were lost to the network after the CC corp Fire, like they were fractured after being forced into the wrong users, perhaps even as a defense system so no one but their true user could fully unlock their powers.

Re: .hack franchise plot threads that are still unresolved?

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:13 am
by Keyaki
Simply put, like the wiki says, the Lost Weapons are fragments of the Morganna Factors that broke off during the RA Plan Failure. When they escaped, parts of them broke off and stayed sealed inside The World itself and remained there during the game's change. How and why they became guarded in Carleon Medb and their relationship with Virus Cores is beyond me.

The feelings the Epitaph Users feel is hard to say exactly. Aside from the Morganna Factors finally becoming whole again, given the connection between them and their Users maybe its what the Users are feeling.

(Seriously though, why do they need Virus Cores? And better yet, what's with the massive downgrade with the Virus Cores' importance with each installment? //Link treats them like mcguffins in a weirder way than //G.U.)

Re: .hack franchise plot threads that are still unresolved?

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:51 pm
by Greyoutt
Keyaki wrote:Simply put, like the wiki says, the Lost Weapons are fragments of the Morganna Factors that broke off during the RA Plan Failure. When they escaped, parts of them broke off and stayed sealed inside The World itself and remained there during the game's change. How and why they became guarded in Carleon Medb and their relationship with Virus Cores is beyond me.
It's a mystery as to how Phyllo knows about them as well. Though I guess it's possible Ovan told him.

Re: .hack franchise plot threads that are still unresolved?

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:20 pm
by Keyaki
Greyoutt wrote:
Keyaki wrote:Simply put, like the wiki says, the Lost Weapons are fragments of the Morganna Factors that broke off during the RA Plan Failure. When they escaped, parts of them broke off and stayed sealed inside The World itself and remained there during the game's change. How and why they became guarded in Carleon Medb and their relationship with Virus Cores is beyond me.
It's a mystery as to how Phyllo knows about them as well. Though I guess it's possible Ovan told him.

Pretty much, Phyllo was Ovan's only confidant. He even met Aina. I doubt he knew of AIDA but he knew enough to pass on to Haseo.

Translation Request

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:36 am
by (Phantom) Thief
Airon wrote:
(Phantom) Thief wrote:So what are the lost weapons really? While I understand that normally the weapons seem to pieces of the epitaphs recovered from deep inside the network, whenever someone recieves their upgrade they also realize a personal epiphany about their lost weapon which imply that the weapons are also spirits, or a piece of the user themselves. Was this ever expanded on?

Meanwhile Kuhn recognizea his as the actual Magus Factor.
I figured they were just a missing piece of their epitaphs, and becoming complete helped the user further understand a part of themselves which related to their epitaph. In the GU novels they were the embodiments of the epitaphs, so I think in the GU games that part remained true in some way. Only rather than the whole, they're a fragment of the epitaph. Kuhn's always had a weirdly thorough understanding of his epitaph. He was real comfortable with using propagation, he calls it quicker than any one else it seems, and he picked up on what the lost weapon was right away. IDK if that was ever explained, considering his connection to Magus isn't that big in comparison to Macha or Skeith.

Maybe they came about when the epitaphs were lost to the network after the CC corp Fire, like they were fractured after being forced into the wrong users, perhaps even as a defense system so no one but their true user could fully unlock their powers.
Keyaki wrote:Simply put, like the wiki says, the Lost Weapons are fragments of the Morganna Factors that broke off during the RA Plan Failure. When they escaped, parts of them broke off and stayed sealed inside The World itself and remained there during the game's change. How and why they became guarded in Carleon Medb and their relationship with Virus Cores is beyond me.

The feelings the Epitaph Users feel is hard to say exactly. Aside from the Morganna Factors finally becoming whole again, given the connection between them and their Users maybe its what the Users are feeling.

(Seriously though, why do they need Virus Cores? And better yet, what's with the massive downgrade with the Virus Cores' importance with each installment? //Link treats them like mcguffins in a weirder way than //G.U.)
Thank you. I hadn't thought of it that way so it pretty helpful. (As for the virus codes, I their sorta like a staple of the series at this point. While originally they contained something from Morganna, I think the ones that exist now are simpler in how they came to be. So they're really just used to help modify data within the game)