.hack franchise plot threads that are still unresolved?

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Keyaki

Re: .hack franchise plot threads that are still unresolved?

Post by Keyaki »

And how do the two of them relate to Spoke?
I'm avoiding the spoilers. Ill get my copy in a couple hours.

But we all knew for a while that it was suggested that Zelkova was an AI. And I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they was connection between him and Spoke. However, we still don't kow much about Spoke either. //Legacy only showed that she was mentored by Helba. Not much else.
I'm waiting for the infobooks
What infobooks?
Falions

Post by Falions »

Keyaki wrote:
What infobooks?
Premium Edition has a "secret file" with a short little novel in it.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Alright. I don't want to deviate from what we were talking about but I'm gonna hijack this thread because I too have a question considering this thread is about plot concepts left unresolved.

This is a very old issue but one that's always plagued me. The Morganna Factors and their chosen Users' personalities and why they chose who they chose.

We know Atoli, Pi, Endrance, Sakubo, and Yata. Haseo's a special case not because was he was a PKK with the coincidental nickname being the same as Skeith's moniker, but because of his past encounter with Skeith back in //SIGN. Why some people think it's because of his PKK reputation I don't know considering that, except for Atoli and Pi, the Morganna Factors attach themselves to their Users' PCs the minute they first logged into The World R:2 and we've seen Skeith with Haseo before he became the PKK we know him as.

What I'm getting at is, what about Kuhn and Ovan? Like I said, they attach themselves the instant they first log in so what about Kuhn and Ovan attracted Magus and Corbenik?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

My best guess:
Sora/Haseo/Ryou=Trigger-happy bringer of death
Shino/Atoli=Appreciates the surface of things and the illusion of The World
Sieg/Kasumi/Kuhn=Very focused on getting with someone
Sakubo=Multiple personalities
Wiseman/Yata=Modern internet lore sage
Elk/Endrance=Lured Mia and Saku into his orbit
Reiko/Ender/Pi/Shamrock=Has a vendetta
Ovan=Wanted to start it all over again to help his sister
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

That's just general consenses but at the same time:
This happened after became the Terror of Death and Haseo had Skeith way before. And back then, he didn't kill as much.

Like I said, I'd say its more because of the fact of their past history back in //SIGN with Skeith forever having a piece of Haseo's psyche trapped with him.
I knew this would come up. Yes, I know that's what been the idea but I'm not so sure. We know Kuhn is flirt online and offline. But given that the word "Propagation" means reproduction, wouldn't that possibly mean Kuhn is popular just to try reproduce? If that's the case then that'd make Kuhn a sociopathic manipulator. And that's not him.
I'd think it was more like his unrequited love for Mia that he got from R:1. Saku didn't really seem to notice him until after he became Emperor. That's how he got so famous and loved.
But that was after Tri-Edge and surely Ovan had Corbenik before that, right?
Falions

Post by Falions »

Keyaki wrote:
I knew this would come up. Yes, I know that's what been the idea but I'm not so sure. We know Kuhn is flirt online and offline. But given that the word "Propagation" means reproduction, wouldn't that possibly mean Kuhn is popular just to try reproduce? If that's the case then that'd make Kuhn a sociopathic manipulator. And that's not him.
I think you're looking a bit too deeply into this one. Kuhn is flirtatious and likes all women. I don't think he has to necessarily impregnate all of them to be worthy of the propagation. I think in this sense it's just in theory, not in execution.

Keyaki wrote:
But that was after Tri-Edge and surely Ovan had Corbenik before that, right?
True, especially since it's said the power is bestowed immediately upon character creation.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Keyaki wrote:This happened after became the Terror of Death and Haseo had Skeith way before. And back then, he didn't kill as much.
Huh? Sora was the PK in SIGN. Jun implies that that Skeith attaching to him was probably only possible because he was "qualified" (a "chosen one" in English).
Falions wrote:I think you're looking a bit too deeply into this one. Kuhn is flirtatious and likes all women. I don't think he has to necessarily impregnate all of them to be worthy of the propagation. I think in this sense it's just in theory, not in execution.
I agree. It's tendency. Ryou's tendency is stabbing, Kasumi's tendency is propagating. Endrance's tendency, pull people close.
Keyaki wrote:But that was after Tri-Edge and surely Ovan had Corbenik before that, right?
Actually Ovan started playing the game with his hospitalized sister Aina. The Epitaphs don't look at your report card, they look at your personality. And what did Ovan, with his personality, proceed to do shortly after joining the game? Start looking for the Key of the Twilight to bring back Aura ("rebirth") in order to help his sister recover ("rebirth"), triggering a series of events that causes a new cycle of incidents ("rebirth") and eventually triggers "The Rebirth." His desire to turn back time and help his sister is his primary motivating characteristic.
Bullet Biter

Post by Bullet Biter »

Kuukai wrote:My best guess:
Shino/Atoli=Appreciates the surface of things and the illusion of The World
Sakubo=Multiple personalities
Wiseman/Yata=Modern internet lore sage
Reiko/Ender/Pi/Shamrock=Has a vendetta
I'd argue that Shino and Atoli fit Innis's profile more because the two of them hide their real emotions/selves from others, but the rest are pretty spot on.
Adhemas

Post by Adhemas »

The content of the Twilight novel sounds interesting as hell. I especially love how it delves into the mystseries of the early days that were just fragmented and obscrure informations we got from Harald and others from time to time.
It's sad how they never officially translated these, despite translating all the other ones (I know Tokyopop died, but wasn't it revived years later?).

I always considered the novels among the strongest points of the .hack franchise. The writers are always pretty good and the ideas as well.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Huh? Sora was the PK in SIGN. Jun implies that that Skeith attaching to him was probably only possible because he was "qualified" (a "chosen one" in English).
I was talking about how Haseo was in //Roots. I'd say Haseo's past actions as Sora could be another factoer but Ryou lost his memories after waking up.
I'd argue that Shino and Atoli fit Innis's profile more because the two of them hide their real emotions/selves from others, but the rest are pretty spot on.
Pretty much this. Shino was always hiding something and she was only willing to open up to Ovan and only to Haseo, after Ovan disappears.

And Atoli suffered so much social abuse offline before she joined R:2 that she was borderline suicidal. Even after joining, she put on a facade of cheerfulness while deep down she ws still depressed in the beginning.
Actually Ovan started playing the game with his hospitalized sister Aina. The Epitaphs don't look at your report card, they look at your personality. And what did Ovan, with his personality, proceed to do shortly after joining the game? Start looking for the Key of the Twilight to bring back Aura ("rebirth") in order to help his sister recover ("rebirth"), triggering a series of events that causes a new cycle of incidents ("rebirth") and eventually triggers "The Rebirth." His desire to turn back time and help his sister is his primary motivating characteristic.
That's true. Though I find it odd that they were hoping that an AI would solve Aina's illness but it's the faith that counts I guess.
Endrance's tendency, pull people close.
Whether or not he's aware of it. Ironic.
I think you're looking a bit too deeply into this one. Kuhn is flirtatious and likes all women. I don't think he has to necessarily impregnate all of them to be worthy of the propagation. I think in this sense it's just in theory, not in execution.
Perhaps. Seems kinda odd to base it off of tendency but it does seem plausible now.
Bullet Biter

Post by Bullet Biter »

Keyaki wrote: That's true. Though I find it odd that they were hoping that an AI would solve Aina's illness but it's the faith that counts I guess.
Ovan and Aina joined The World because they wanted to see each other while Aina was undergoing treatment for her Unknown Anime Girl Disease. He would tell her stories about Aura and all that to y'know, keep her spirits up. Since he was a NAB investigator he probably knew there was some truth to these stories, but didn't full embrace them until after Aina fell into a coma to find a way to bring her back.

I do recall from an old magazine entry on GU that stated these two are literally the only family they have so it makes sense Ovan would go to some pretty extreme lengths to ensure her safety and health.  even if it meant killing himself for her
Greyoutt

Post by Greyoutt »

Propagation has two definitions, one is reproduction and the other is spreading an idea, theory, and other things. Kuhn was also the head of Canard, which was spreading the idea of how fun The World can be to noobs as well as telling them how to play. So while his libido may have been a part of that, I think there may have been other factors too.
(Phantom) Thief

Post by (Phantom) Thief »

I haven't started Last Recode or really gone through the new material yet. However outside of the novels does Haseo ever realize who Skeith really is? I remembering seeing that there was something included with the Figurarts. Novel (BLACK side) & Novel (WHITE side). Also is there any evidence  for AIDA during R:1? (Not really a spoiler but really a question that could lead to a spoiler). Furthermore how well does LR connect with the information in Quantum now?
Last edited by (Phantom) Thief on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Also is there any evidence for AIDA during R:1?
...Wha...? No. Why would AIDA ever appear during R:1?
(Phantom) Thief

Post by (Phantom) Thief »

Keyaki wrote:
 Also is there any evidence for AIDA during R:1?
 ..Wha...? No. Why would AIDA ever appear during R:1?
Do you wish to know the truth Keyaki?
Falions

Post by Falions »

(Phantom) Thief wrote: Furthermore how well does LR connect with the information in Quantum now?
Even worse. Ovan is so fine and good after Vol. 4 that he gets to be reunited with Aina offline and everything's okay. Why he's missing in Quantum is an even larger mystery now.

In general, what was up with Quantum? Didn't it retcon Jyotaro Amagi's motive too?
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

We all know //Quantum is pretty much the only installment in the 3rd Season that just screws up everything
Do you wish to know the truth Keyaki?
What are you on about? Everyone knows AIDA appeared as a result of Aura disappearing in 2015 due to the rampant errors that appeared on the network caused my Aura's sudden disappearance. Why would AIDA be around before that?
Bullet Biter

Post by Bullet Biter »

Falions wrote:
(Phantom) Thief wrote: Furthermore how well does LR connect with the information in Quantum now?
Even worse. Ovan is so fine and good after Vol. 4 that he gets to be reunited with Aina offline and everything's okay. Why he's missing in Quantum is an even larger mystery now.

In general, what was up with Quantum? Didn't it retcon Jyotaro Amagi's motive too?
Can't they just say the Ovan Reiko is looking for is whatever AI was wandering around in Returner and Fragments of The World and call it a day? I can't handle trying to figure out how Quantum works anymore!
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

(Phantom) Thief wrote:However outside of the novels does Haseo ever realize who Skeith really is?
Not exactly, but in Vol.3 when Haseo accepts Skeith, Skeith's speaking pattern is the same as Sora's, and Haseo's acceptance is of an ambiguous nature (maybe he realizes everything, maybe nothing).
(Phantom) Thief wrote:I remembering seeing that there was something included with the Figurarts. Novel (BLACK side) & Novel (WHITE side).
I was not aware of these but those sound interesting.
(Phantom) Thief wrote:Also is there any evidence  for AIDA during R:1? (Not really a spoiler but really a question that could lead to a spoiler).
No. My theory for  Yoshida(28) is that, like AIKA and the Returner Chim Chim, the game object existed beforehand and an AIDA attached to it. Only AIDA that attached to game data, that "synchronized" and were "accepted by the world" were said to have survived by Returner. If AIDA existed during R:1 it wouldn't be until after Aura left. And they may have wandered the network for years before actually entering the game. It could have happened in 2015, and somehow Spoke could even be related (it makes more sense than Quantum - everytime Pi speaks retcons come out), but we just don't have information at this point.

It would be kind of crazy, but a great way to get Ryou back into the story, if something something AIDA something something Ovan goes missing again.